2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 12 of 17)

Sep 072011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving approximately 50 mph there was an increase in the RPM readings and the vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the transmission had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 51,000.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Oct 012010

Freestyle

When driving, my car loses power. Sometimes when moving slowly, I engage the gas pedal and lose power. Sometimes when I engage the gas to move from a stopped position, my car will start to go and then lose power. The car does not shut off, it just won't move, and then suddenly does. The dealer replaced the throttle body, but this is still happening. They said unless they can get the problem to happen when they are driving it, there is nothing they can do to help further. This is very scary and I'm sure it's a matter of time before there is an accident. When I put my car in reverse, sometimes it revs up before actually moving. I have had many problems with this vehicle, starting in the 20,000 miles. Bad window motor, bad brakes, intermittent dash board clearance, air conditioning mechanism leaking into car. The dealer did replace the window motor, brakes and air conditioning problem, but had no explanation on the dash lights resetting. My paint is bubbling up on the hood of my car. Ford offered to fix this for $850. The bubbling started at 39,000 miles. I did not pay them to fix this, as I feel Ford should be responsible for this. When Ford had my car last, they replaced a sway bar and did not tighten the nut, I then had the ABS light come on and they replaced the wheel speed sensor and tightened the nut. My car clunked so bad, I fear that this caused additional suspension problems. I've always had noise in the front end, especially on a tight turn. The greased the front end, but that does not fix the problem. Today, my car only has 45,000 miles on it, but unfortunately, my warranty is up and I know that one day when I put my foot on the gas pedal, it's not going to move. I was told by a Ford service rep. That the cvt transmission cannot be replaced, so when it does fail, I'm out of luck, there is no repair for this. Recall please

- Valencia, PA, USA

Jul 032011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving down the freeway with my young family. The cvt stopped working. I lost power to the gas peddle. After about an hour on the side of the road it began working again. It does this alot now. I was in heavy traffic and was very lucky to be a firefighter with emergency driving skills. We could have been killed. The vehicle also lunges forward when my foot is on the brake.I believe a recall is in order.

- Broadview Hts, OH, USA

Aug 012009

Freestyle

When going from park to reverse or reverse to drive the car lunges. Very unsafe. It happens more when it's hot. Has happened multiple times.

- Corona, CA, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle

Vehicle will lunge or accelerate unexpectedly while sitting in traffic, stop light or any low speed. It will happen in drive or reverse. Almost caused a rear end collision at traffic light. Engine died after lunging on one occasion after I applied brakes hard to stop from jumping into traffic from parking lot.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Aug 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle strongly surged/lunged a distance of 5 feet forward from stop immediately after putting vehicle in gear and with foot on the brakes. If a pedestrian or other vehicle had been in front of the car, we would have hit the pedestrian or vehicle. The same has happened countless times in both forward and reverse. Ford dealer is unable to diagnose specific corrective action nor has Ford Motor Company issued a recall despite thousands of reports on the internet of this problem and potential danger and injury.

- Mason, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Freestyle

In 2010, my 2006 Ford Freestyle gears felt like it was starting to slip and a 'wrench' light came on. I was unable to maintain speed and had to pull off the road. After a few moments, I started down the road at a low gear until I was able to pull in to a gas station. After the car was cut off for 15 minutes or so, it started up fine and the 'wrench' light cut off. I would drive for 4 or months before it did it again but anytime the speed control was set, it will start again. I would cut the car off and the light would be gone. Thought it was a sensor. However, this past week, the car has started lurching forward while my brakes are applied. It will do it forward or while backing up and the 'wrench' light will cut on and the car will stall out. I must keep my foot on the brake when backing up or going forward from a stop position because the car could accelerate at any time. Recently, the engine light came on when the wrench light came on. After 1 and half days the engine light has gone off but the car is still jumping. As of yet, no repair work has been done. Before taking to the dealership, I decided to checked for any recalls and saw that there was an open case on this model with many complaints for the same thing.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Jan 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We have a 2006 Ford Freestyle. It has been lunging forward while in drive and reverse even when your foot is on the brake. It happens randomly but seems to be worse when you turn the steering wheel while you are stopped with the car in reverse or drive. At first we had the rack replaced. This solved some of the noise but it still lunges. After searching the internet it seems that several people have tied it to the throttle body. This has been a real problem as we have been teaching our daughter how to drive. It can be quite dangerous while at stop lights and trying to park. Also, recently the wrench light has come on after it begins to lunge. When the wrench light is on it has little power to accelerate. After the car is parked for a while the light goes on and the car functions normally again. Please pursue a recall on this part and let me know what you find in your investigation.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Aug 052011

Freestyle

Recently bought a 2006 Ford Freestyle. After two weeks this car launches foward while foot is on the brake. Almost hit car infront of me. It did it like 3 times back to back. Car is about 90,000 miles.

- Margate, FL, USA

Jul 122011

Freestyle

We have had persistent acceleration problems with our 2006 Ford Freestyle. Starting in July 2009, the car started lunging when pulling in or out of parking spaces - I.e., at low speeds. A repair shop completed an induction cleaning which took care of the problem temporarily. In June 2011 the problem reappeared and we completed another induction cleaning which took care of the acceleration problem for a few weeks. Now, a few weeks later, the wrench and engine symbols have started appearing when we start the car. If we try to drive while the wrench symbol (indicating powertrain issue) still appears, the car does not accelerate at lower speeds. Yesterday at the shop they performed a throttle body cleaning which has not taken care of the problem. I am very concerned about the unpredictable nature of this car's issues which appear to be related to other complaints about sudden acceleration/lunging and the related investigation that has been reported. I would appreciate any information about the status of this investigation and what responsibility Ford will take if I should need more extensive work to correct this issue. Note that we filed a related complaint in May 2010 ((ODI number 10328630) but have received no direct response. Thus the purpose of this complaint is to indicate that the problem continues to be a serious concern.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Apr 192011

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle, lunged forward at low speeds multiple time form the date of incident. Currently, car will lung forward and stall out. Warranty will not cover part replacement.

- New Prague, MN, USA

Aug 012010

Freestyle

There have been multiple engine or transmission related problems with this vehicle dating back to 1 year ago. Last August, the car started lunging when idle without the driver pressing the gas. This happened numerous times when we lived in California while idling at traffic lights or while driving slow in parking lots. We brought it in and had a part replaced for $800 and was told everything was fine. 3 weeks later the car was revving high and making a loud whur. We brought it back in and was told that the transmission had to be replaced and that this was a known defect with the Freestyle automatic transmission. It cost over $5000. We moved to Georgia in April and the lunging problem resurfaced. We had to spend another $1300 to fix this. Then low and behold, 6 weeks later, the transmission blew again. This car is a hazard and needs to be taken off the road by Ford.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Jul 282011

Freestyle

Vehicle surged forward while parking and backward while exiting parking space. Has continued to occur since.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jul 242011

Freestyle

The engine surges all the time, and if the brake pedal is not firmly stepped on, the vehicle will lurch forward 6 to 12 inches. This week the engine surged twice while backing out of my driveway, then once again after shifting into drive, then the engine stalled in the middle of the road. Ford diagnosed it as the throttle body needing replacement, but it is not covered under the extended warranty and will cost $805 to replace it. This has been a known problem to Ford for several years.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 242011

Freestyle 6-cyl

First sign was when leaving a mall parking space; placed car into reverse to back up, motor surged and car leaped backwards unexpectedly nearly striking a passing car and pedestrians. Put transmission into'd' to pull back into space and transmission dash indicator illuminated and the car died. Various iterations of restarting the engine, putting the car in gear and then either surging under full power or dying until we got to an auto parts store to see if they could read any codes for the problem. The shop was very nice but unable to determine anything conclusive so we limped along to the nearest Ford dealership where we learned the throttlebody had failed.

- Gladstone, MO, USA

Jul 132011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle while sitting still at idle, in gear, suddenly surging causing unintentional vehicle movement.

- Kearney, MO, USA

Jul 222011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was waiting on my wife in mall parking lot with the ac running when I pulled out to pick her up car accelerated and I hit the brakes and the car stalled and the wrench light came on. It has done this about 50000 miles ago and they replaced throttle body. I cant believe it is happening again. We are going on vacation in 2 weeks and I need to get it fixed before we go but do not need this added expense. Ford needs to do something about this. I will be at dealership Monday morning.

- Newton, NC, USA

Jul 122011

Freestyle

Put car in reverse and as soon as the brake was released the car jumped back as if I had quickly pressed on the accelerator. I quickly applied the brake and then the car shut itself off. Since July 12 I have had a few other instances both when putting the car in reverse and when the car was in drive. I was waiting in a line with the brakes applied. As I lifted my foot off the brake to idle forward the car jumped forward with a quick burst of acceleration and resulting in almost hitting the car in front of me.

- Parkville, MO, USA

Jun 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle began to either stall soon after it was started, or worse still, lunge forward a short distance. In both instances the outdoor temperature was over 90 degrees and the air conditioner was turned on. An hour after this a transmission warning light came on. I had it looked into the next day on 6/13/2001. The Ford dealership where I took it to ( greenway Ford, orlando, fl.) Ford ran an eec system diagnosis and found that the throttle control had to be replaced and the on board computer adjusted. Since the way the vehicle lurched forward, although I was able to brake it before it went a foot, it would seem to pose a danger to individuals nearby the vehicle.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Hot day - 101 degrees and we had the air conditioner on. While backing up the vehicle "surged". put the vehicle in park, again surged. While stopped at a stop light the wrench light came on and the vehicle started losing power acting as if it wanted to shift, but couldn't. it sputtered the whole way home. We turned off the car, waiting for a couple of minutes and turned the car back on and the wrench light was gone. We took it for a drive and it drove just fine. Another hot day, driving for awhile and it started surging when backing up and then surged again before the wrench light came on. Again, we turned off, turned on, everything is ok. This is a dangerous problem with this vehicle that we now know is the main complaint and many others have complained about the same problem.

- Parowan, UT, USA