2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 13 of 17)

Jul 042011

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle will surge when car is put in reverse and pulling into parking spaces - need to quickly apply brakes to prevent crashing into someone or something. Have not had vehicle in for repair - afraid of how much I will need to pay out of pocket - and will it actually correct the problem"?" 82,000 miles on vehicle. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle. Was considering giving it to our 17 year old daughter who recently received her driving license, but don't want to take the chance giving her a vehicle she literally cannot control with the newly acquired driving skills under her belt. As a seasoned driver, I feel very uneasy driving this vehicle.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Apr 282011

Freestyle

I was sitting in the car with the air conditioner on for about 10 minutes with my children while my wife went to pick up a few groceries. When we left I put the car reverse and slowly took my foot of the break. The car then jerked backwards as my foot was softly on the break and then again when it was off the break. The car then stalled and the wrench light appeared. This has happened several more times since, mostly when the car is in "drive" with the air conditioner working hard and my foot either softly on the break or just off the break. The car will jerk forward. I'm not sure the component that is malfunctioning, but bellow is an educated guess.

- Souderton, PA, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car surges without pressing the gas pedal either in reverse or drive.

- Rockvale, TN, USA

Jun 202011

Freestyle

My Ford Freestyle jumps forward or backward when driving. Very scary when in parking lot. Now stalling after jumping.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jun 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Both times this has happened, it has been very hot 100+ degrees outside, and the vehicle had been parked, idling for a few minutes (5-15 mins). Upon putting car in gear, the vehicle engine surged. Luckily the foot was on the brake pedal. While experiencing these problems, vehicle has died twice, and tends to do it more at low, idle only speeds, for example while parking or pulling out of the driveway. Once, we were driving from out of town, and the vehicle was sluggish on acceleration, and never seemed to switch gears. We made it home, then let it cool, and it ran fine for several days. About a week later, having the same issues. Going to take it into the Ford dealer tomorrow and have them look at it, referencing the NHTSA investigation into the Ford Freestyles.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Apr 052008

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car will surge on it's own at different times: Sitting at a red light ~normal misc idling, while in reverse, while making full turns. It will also sometimes die right after the surge, but not every time. It is worse in the summer during high temps, but will sometimes do it in colder temps as well. It does this when you have your foot on the brake, also when it has been in parked (while idling). At a drive thru window on one occasion, it surged over 5 times and was restarted over 5 different times, all at same drive thru window. (maybe 10 minutes at the window). Additionally the driver front seat, seat warmer has stopped working, the keypad on the driver's car door to open the car doors will not function, several lights inside the dash do not light up and/or very dim, the middle row seat 2/3, the seat on the left side will not fold down.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Mar 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Ford Freestyle 2006 limited - the vehicle has started to lunge when shifted. This is unintended acceleration, with foot off the pedal. I am getting very worried that my wife will run over someone. This is a throttle body issue that you are currently investigating. This happens almost every day and is getting gradually worse - 89,000 miles on the car. There are hundreds or thousands of reports of this online. You need to have Ford fix this. I can't afford to pay for the repair myself, so I haven't had it fixed. I'm hoping it won't keep getting worse and that a recall will be announced soon.

- South Dennis, MA, USA

Jun 112011

Freestyle

When we put our Ford Freestyle into drive or reverse it suddenly accelerates without depressing the accelerator. The engine revs to 2000-2500 rpms.

- Burtonsville, MD, USA

Jun 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We have a 2006 Ford Freestyle that lunges forward or reverse mainly when the A/C is on during slow parking lot type movements. I took it to the dealer in the past for this and they did "something" but the problem is still evident. This happens a lot and I've almost hit other cars because of it. Please look into a proper repair.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Jul 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

When shifted from P to R or D, the vehicle surges or lunges. Very difficult to control even with foot firmly on the brake. Worse when A/C is on. The engine races, and rpms increase. Vehicle was purchased used last year, at approximately 48K miles. Noticed the problem shortly after purchase, but the problem seemed almost imaginary, then went away over the winter months. The problem has returned and seems worse at this time (summer 2011). Definitely not imaginary, definitely dangerous. Occurs in parking lots and intersections, where there are often many pedestrians and vehicles in close quarters. Engine light has come on, mechanic says service codes indicate throttle problem. Hope to have this repaired tomorrow.

- Hummelstown, PA, USA

May 312011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased a 2006 Ford Freestyle in March 2011. In may it started lunging when it was first put into gear with my foot applied on the brake. It got worse when the air had been on and the car is idling. To the point it started stalling and the transmission light came on. I took it to shop on May 31. Stayed there til fri. June 3. they replaced the throttle body. Drove it back home over an hour away just for it to happen again. Now I have to return to the shop for them to see what else they can find.

- Union, MS, USA

May 292011

Freestyle

My wife was entering a parking space and the vehicle lunged forward after she had removed her foot from the accelerator. The vehicle struck a row of shopping carts and caused a crease in the right rear door.

- Old Hickory, TN, USA

May 282011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has been lurching forward unexpectedly while my foot is on the brake. Sometimes is will then stall. It happens when pulling on or out of a parking spot. This has occurred several times in the past 6 weeks. Took care to shop, no codes to show issue and unable to replicate the problem.

- Hamilton, OH, USA

May 272011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When starting vehicle (2006 Ford Freestyle SE) and placing in gear, vehicle lurches and sometimes stalls. With brakes firmly applied, vehicle does not move much, but if vehicle is already moving, it may propel forward several feet suddenly. On the reported incident date, the automobile lurched while backing out of a driveway in reverse. The car unexpectedly lurched backwards into the street, then stalled. An accident could have occurred if other cars were on the roadway. The A/C was running at the time of all occurrences.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

May 272011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Returning home with my children, when my 2006 Ford Freestyle lurched horribly, accelerating first, then dropping down to almost no power at all, with the yellow wrench light turned on, and then would barely accelerate till I got home and turned the engine off, then re-started it and the car acted relatively normal. Fortunately was on a country road, and no other cars around when incident occurred.

- Pikeville, NC, USA

May 252011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lurches on its own with my foot on the brake. Happens most in reverse when backing up out of a parking space, but has also happened several times while idling in a drive thru line. I have had several near collisions due to this problem. It happens almost always when first put into reverse. I have learned to keep my foot on the brake. It is an ongoing problem.

- Globe, AZ, USA

Jan 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle. Approx: 65,000 miles. Wrench light came on; since then the vehicle at times will lurch forward with just a little bit of gas or if you are not pushing the brake completely down. The rpms run really high with just a little bit of gas or just at idle. Car lurches forward when shifting from park to drive. When trying to get on the freeway, car will barely get going. I am assuming this is the throttle body problem that all the Ford Freestyles seem to be having. Also noticed that it seems to occur more often while sitting at an idle for just a few minutes. Have not had repairs yet, as this part is very costly and I am just learning now that this is a common problem with Ford Freestyle.

- Wickliffe, OH, USA

May 242010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car will lunge forward when slowing to a stop or when pulling out after idling. Running the A/C makes the problem worse and the car tries to shut down.the inside and outside lights start to flicker and the air bag and wrench lights come on. While in park the rpms will race to 3 rpms without touching the accelerator. We have replaced the throttle body and the smart junction box but the car just keeps gettin worse. The car was under warranty when this started to happen but they couldn't figure out what was wrong so they told me to drive it this way until it died then tow it to them and they would go back to the same ticket since the warranty was almost out. That dealership has since closed so now I'm stuck with the bill. If we only knew what the problem actually was.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA

Jun 102010

Freestyle

In April 2007, driver's side seat belt became jammed. Had seatbelt buckle replaced. It was covered under warranty and there was not charge. On June 8, 2010 the check throttle body light and wrench warning light came on and we noticed a vibration in the engine. Took vehicle in. The throttle body and motor mount were both replaced. Cost of repair was $1023.24 the mileage at the time of repair was 55,234. A couple of weeks later, the vehicle began to surge unexpectedly at times in both drive and reverse. At other times, vehicle would hesitates / had little or no pick-up when starting from a stop. Check engine light came on, took vehicle in on June 22, 2010. An engine sensor was replaced and the PCM was reprogrammed. Repairs totaled $642.61 the mileage at time of repairs was 55,613. Was told at that time the fuel filter needed to be replaced and a transmission flush was necessary. Replaced fuel filter and had transmission flush done July 1, 2010. Cost was $200.65. Mileage was 55,695. I read an article in the newspapers and learned that others were having similar problems. I wanted to be on record with problems that we have had with this car. Ford manufactured cars with issues. They should have to address those issues and compensate for the repairs that people had to pay for. The repairs that have had to be done on this car are ridiculous. Between the seat belt issue and the transmission issues, I would say we have had some serious safety issues with this vehicle and we most certainly regret buying it.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jun 242010

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has started trying to run away with me whenever I've been sitting in a parking space with the engine on and the air conditioning on. When I put the car into gear either forward or reverse it shoots out of the space causing me to have to jam on the brakes. The first time this happened last June 2010, I crashed into a car that was parked behind me. It did not happen again for several weeks. When it happened again the weather was extremely hot so, I thought maybe the hot weather had caused it. It did not occur during the winter. Now that the weather is getting hot it's happening again. I am very anxious every time I have to drive anywhere when it's hot outside. I talked to my son-in-law about it and he said maybe it had something to do with the transmission. But, they check the transmission when they change my oil and have not told me of any problems.

- Clinton, NC, USA