2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 5 of 17)

Jun 172013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle makes a lound rumbling noise at low speed. Dealer (lindsay Ford of silver spring, md) has had the car for 2 days and did not diagnose or repair. Tech says it's because of transmission going bad but they are not sure. They say they are unable to provide parts or service and car may break down anytime.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Jan 032012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lurches forward in low speed without touching the gas peddle or, if lightly touching gas peddle, car jumps forward as if gas peddle is pushed down hard. Known problem with cvt transmission. Recall to clean throttle body was received and followed thru on with no results.

- Elizabethtown, PA, USA

Jun 142010

Freestyle

I purchased this vehicle used from a Ford dealer in 2009. About a year after purchase, I began to notice transmission problems with the cvt transmission. Without any warning the vehicle will experience an unexpected failure. This vehicle is extremely dangerous due to sudden problems caused by the type of transmission. All of a sudden the vehicle can lose speed, wrench light will come on, brakes  will stop functioning  properly, and occasionally jump. Three different mechanics have confirmed the problem is due to the transmission. One mechanic only works on transmissions. Ford is lucky more people have not been injured as a result of the multitude of problems related to the trannsmittion choice. Also I find it intresting that Ford made the disision to build a replica of the Ford free style and call it a Taurus X. one of the few changes they made to the Taurus X was the type of transmission they used.

- Randolph, MA, USA

May 302013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle hesitated to accelerate and failed to shift gears. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who stated that the medtronics main control needed replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure and current mileage was 62,000....updated 07-10-13

- Westland, MI, USA

May 302013

Freestyle

I recently bought a 2006 Ford Freestyle. 2 weeks after I bought it I started having problems with it lunging. This is very scary. It also has issues with power fading in and out. I feel that my family is being put at risk as well as the public. These transmissions need to be recalled. I am deathly afraid I am going to hit someone or something when it lunges. I don't think it's fair to be forced to drive a car that causes you to be stressed out. This issue seems to be very widespread across the country as I have seen hundreds and hundreds of posts of consumers who are very upset that nobody is doing anything about these issues. Ford needs to be held accountable for this. They know there are problems but do nothing about it. Please help!!!!

- Findlay, OH, USA

May 182013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of second gear. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the contact was told that the control variable transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 92,000.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jun 132012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Since about June of 2012, wrench indicator will intermittently come on after driving 30-100 miles. I stop the vehicle, turn off the ignition and after a few seconds turn the ignition on and it seems ok. Sometimes I can go over 100 miles without the problem. There are times when the engine light comes on after the wrench but this indicator stays on after turning the ignition back on and stays on for a day or two. The local Ford dealership says this is a most likely a cvt problem but I have no assurance that this will be the fix. I have researched this problem on the internet and have noticed that I am not the only one with this problem. From the blogs I've read, Ford should have a recall addressing this specific problem. There is a recall addressing a surge, but this is different.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Apr 262013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I tried starting the car and when I went to put it into reverse to back up the transmission did not engage. It suddenly lurched backwards and the same thing happened when I put the car into drive. There is about a 10 second delay and then it lurches. One time while driving the car, it slipped out of gear and started to rev the RPM over 3000 it tried to engage the gear but then stalled in traffic. I took the car to the Ford dealership and they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine. They said that there is a delay in building up pressure to go into gears. They said that they did not know what was causing it but they suspected the high pressure filter needed to be changed. That cost was 800 dollars. After changing the filter there was no change. I no longer feel safe driving this car and don't know what to do about trying to repair it. Ford said that you can get used transmission from junkyards but this seems to be a common issue. I did bring it in to the dealership in January to have the throttle body cleaned for the recall. I'm highly agitated that Ford will not stand by their vehicle.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Apr 052013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 75 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact stopped at the shoulder and restarted the vehicle but the failure recurred. The vehicle was inspected by the dealer where the cause of failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 118,000.

- Wilmington , NC, USA

Dec 192011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We had purchased our Ford Freestyle 2006 in July of 2011 with 59000 miles. Had the vehicle serviced and trans cleaned in September/October(2011) of that year at 65000. In December we started to have troubles. The wrench light started coming on, then I would be able to start vehicle but not move. One day as I was bringing my child to school the vehicle would not accelerate and then it would. At this point I turned the vehicle off and had it towed. Come to find out the transmission was dead. We had to dish out over $5000 for a new transmission with a warrenty from Ford. We also had the fluids checked to make sure it wasnt their fault, all came back clean. In the statement it said it was due to transmission failure. My concern is that when I started having problems it happened in the middle of a school parking lot when I was dropping my child off. Had a child walked by when it was acting weird they could have been hurt. I also feel that after driving only 10,000 miles with it and having to buy a new transmission for it, I feel Ford is not providing their costumers with reliable service. I feel their should be a recall on these models. We paid the same amount for this vehicle as it would have cost for a newer model. Being a family on a low budget this set us back for along while. Plus, we had a carfax and the previous owner had maintained the vehicle very well.

- Errol, NH, USA

Mar 272013

Freestyle 6-cyl

A few weeks ago I was backing out of the driveway in the morning (it was cold & frosty). When I put the vehicle into reverse it started to back out but then wouldn't accelerate. I pushed harder on the accelerator and it revved and finally went. The car felt off' while driving (shaky & not fully under control-like riding a bicycle when the chain slips but isn't completely off). The wrench light turned on but once I'd arrived at the destination & stopped & restarted the vehicle it seemed fine and the wrench light turned off. Last week I was again backing out and the vehicle would not accelerate, I pushed down more on the accelerator and it skipped / lurched back (almost hitting another vehicle). This happened twice more, both scary but manageable once I was able to turn the vehicle off and on again. Then this morning it happened again with the revving noise and poor and jumpy acceleration but after restarting, the 'check engine' light came on and has continued to be lit. So far I have only encountered the lurching and lack of acceleration occurring while in reverse, though it's continued once going forward until I can pull over and restart the vehicle. Until I can restart the vehicle it feels shaky and on the verge of dying, especially when at idle in traffic or red lights. I did a lot of research before purchasing the Freestyle. I chose it because it was one of the highest rated and 'safest' SUVS with 3rd row seats - reviewed by the iihs, car-seat.org and other organizations. I would not have purchased a Freestyle if these problems were well known to me at the time. We will look at the throttle body as recommended by other owners on this and other sites and I only hope that solves the problem. In the meantime I am afraid of the lack of acceleration and lurching problem happening around other vehicles and people so I am driving backroads where possible.

- Charlesteon, SC, USA

Apr 032013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2007 Ford Freestyle w/ one previous owner about 6 months ago with 110K miles. Since then I may have added 5K miles or so, if not less. I took it in yesterday to the local Ford dealer because of some issues with the care not accelerating at times and wrench light coming on. I would also hear the care rev up unexpectedly while reversing and doing other odd things that made me uncomfortable. They said I need a new transmission. Parts alone would be $6K. This is unacceptable.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Jul 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving on the expressway, car failed to have continued forward propulsion and stalled. This has happened repeatedly since then. I can't idle, run heat or A/C for more than a few minutes, while consistently keeping my rpms over 1500 without it stalling. ( as I live in Michigan this is a big problem!) now I can't get it to start at all. My husband being good with cars has flushed the throttle body twice (recommended action we could find on internet at the time.) has stalled at a variety of speeds, while driving in a variety of settings.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Mar 252011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the wrench warning icon illuminated and the vehicle would not accelerate. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 182,000.

- Elk River, MN, USA

Jan 092013

Freestyle 6-cyl

On February 11th I had the recall done that reflashed computer and cleaned throttle body. The 12th and 13 it was unseasonably warm and the vehicle ran great. On the 14th the vehicle would not move at all. The temp was below 15 degrees. I could not drive my car for a month. When the temps went up into the 20's the car ran fine. I called the dealer to report the problem and was informed that the recall could only be completed once. On March 7th I cleaned the throttle body myself and found a ring of carbon around the butterfly. After cleaning the car was running good again. This was less than 400 miles after the recall had been completed. The symptoms of the jerking have gone away with the cleaning. The continuous problem seems to be the engine and malfunction light will come on and the vehicle reduces power and speed. Seems to be at lower temperatures. Yesterday it was 20 out and it did this. I have inspected the air and vacuum hoses to the throttle body and cannot find any loose, or broken. I have sprayed around throttle body gaskets while vehicle is running and can find no vacuum leaks. I don't think this is completely a throttle body issue. I believe the cvt transmission is to blame. In November I had the transmission fluids and sump filter changed. I did this because of the complaints of early transmission failure. Usually the failure occurs when vehicle is under load, ie going up hills etc. And appears to be temperature related.

- Lewiston, MI, USA

Mar 082013

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle is stalling out at low speeds and not responding to acceleration. The wrench warning icon comes on the dashboard when the worse problems are occurring. It is not the throttle bottle which has been replaced and been reprogrammed. The mechanic showed 4 error lights regarding the cvt transmission. The Ford dealership was unable to diagnose or fix the problem. Currently there is a mass class action lawsuit being filed in California, it is not a unique of isolated occurrence.

- South Riding, VA, USA

Feb 182013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The problem im having is that as the car goes 20-25 mph it complete stops and the wrench light goes on. It happened to me a few times on the highway at a normal high speed it complete went off. It sure has been a nightmare. Now I cant even take the family with me cause im scare to put them at risk. The Ford dealer did not fix the problem im at the point that I don't know what to do or who to call. Every number I call its an operator and the recording hangs up on me after a few times. I had a recall letter that was send to me but the repair dept at the Ford dealer don't want to give it back. I just hope the NHTSA can help me in some way. I was told that the problem im having has to do with the throttle body.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jan 042013

Freestyle 6-cyl

All of the sudden my rpms were surging really high while I was going slow I could only go about 20 mph with the rpms at 5! then my car would shoot forward and shut off. I had my throttle body cleaned under the recall and then the next day my car wouldn't move at all! it turns on but doesn't no go anywhere and when you put it in gear it shoots forward and shuts off again! the throttle body cleaning is obviously not the issue!

- Randolph, VT, USA

Nov 102012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Around the middle of November 2012, I started noticing a slight knocking coming from under the hood while the vehicle was idling. It seemed to go away when I put the car in gear and started to drive. During the next couple of weeks the knocking was getting worse. I noticed it louder and louder as I was driving. Then, the only time the knocking went away was when the car was put in reverse. Now, I'm starting to get very concerned about my car breaking down while I am out. Shortly after this, I received a recall notice about the throttle body. So, I took it in on January 23, 2013 to have the throttle body recall procedure done. While it was at the authorized "Ford" dealership having this procedure done, I asked them to check out the noise I was hearing. They informed me it was a bearing that was within the transmission causing the issue and would need replaced. I was told that the part itself was not able to be replaced, but the whole transmission needed to be replaced. They recommended a "new" transmission be installed at the cost of $5200. A used one might result in the same circumstances happening. However, due to the issues with this "cvt" transmission, there may not be "new" one available for a while. I was then informed, that because of this "cvt" issue, Ford has extended the warranty on the 2008+ model years up to 100,000 miles. So, this means I am left with a worthless 2006 "Ford" vehicle with 95,508 miles. Which "Ford" knows has a defective part and has chosen to ignore and refuses any responsibility for it. What am I to do" is this how, we as consumers, should expect our vehicles to perform? I loved the styling and features of this car, but I can't see putting $5200 into this vehicle at this point and down the road the same thing happening or something new that they have known about. Where do I go from here"

- Baltimore, OH, USA

Jan 202013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our vehicle was cruising at interstate speeds when it attempted to accelerate due to an incline in the road. Suddenly the vehicle wrench light along with the anti slip light came on and the engine RPM's increased but the vehicle did not accelerate. I took the car off cruise and applied the gas and received the same results, high RPM but no acceleration. The car would not accelerate no matter what I did. We eventually pulled off the highway and stop at a gas station where we turned the car off and fueled up. After leaving the gas station we have not experienced the issue since. We took it to our mechanic the next day who said we needed to replace the transmission for about $5000. After doing research I have found out the many Ford Freestyle owners have had to replace their transmissions along with replacing the electronic throttle control (which Ford eventually placed a recall on). We have had the etc repaired but the transmission being shot is unacceptable.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA