2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jun 262013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have had my 2007 Ford Freestyle since 2008. This car has been a money pit. I have had to get a water pump, ac compressor, and throttle body, now it needs an expensive faulty transmission replaced called cvt transmission. The car is now parked for safety and to avoid further damage. The issue that I have experienced is while my foot completely on the break, the car has darted forward with out my ability to stop it. I have had this happen with people walking in front of me in the cross walk while at the stop light and my car has darted at them. Scary!! to say the least. I would not be surprised if anyone else has hit someone due to this problem. I don't drive the car anymore because it shut off on me while in traffic, unexpectedly, gratefully the person behind me was paying attention. I have fixed the ac compressor, throttle body, and water pump, I cannot possibly replace the transmission, I have 3 children and now without a car. I would not feel safe even after it is fixed. From reading other complaints this car is made faulty, and is going to fell me in some other expensive or dangerous way. To my knowledge Ford has discontinued making the Freestyle and is now making Taurus in its place. They should have recalled every single Ford Freestyle, this car is dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been made to fail, I hope Ford can restore my trust in them. I do not want any other Ford because of this.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Mar 042014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Unexpected acceleration burst and some times I will be driving and the engine totally shuts off there is no check engine light on and Ford ran a diagnostic with no apparent problem.

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Mar 272014

Stopped at signal light, wrench light and engine light illuminated. When attempted to accelerate, vehicle RPM's moved erratically and vehicle would not drive above 35mph. Had vehicle towed to transmission shop and was told vehicle went into "fail safe mode" transmission is none repairable and needs to be replaced. Previously had car serviced under recall with throttle. One day prior, the car "surged/lunged" when put in reverse. Had recall done 12 months ago and just went over 12000 miles since work done.

- Keller, TX, USA

Feb 242014

Freestyle 6-cyl

My wife & I were visiting a friends house with my wife driving. She put the van into reverse to leave with her foot on the brake. It suddenly took off at a high rate of speed & would not stop even with both. Feet on the brake. We shot out the driveway at high speed & continued down the roadway until my wife lost control & crashed into a ditch; the only thing that stopped the van was hitting a large rock. This of course caused damage to the passenger side rear quarter panel. My wife suffered a small cut to her calf; I was uninjured. We were very lucky there were no other vehicles in the roadway at that time or it could have been very dangerous !! my wife is so shook up by this incident that she now refuses to drive her van.

- Magdalena, NM, USA

Jan 182014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle will not operate over 1,000 RPM. It had the throttle body cleaned on 15 Aug 2013 under customer satisfaction recall 12N03. For the original complaint, the idling spiked where in this instance the car will not accelerate above 1,000 RPM. The codes associated with this incident are: P060B; P061B; P0122; P0155; P0222; P0316; P0480; P2104; P2110; P2122; P2127; P2132; P2135.

- Henry, IL, USA

May 082013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while reversing out of a parking space, the vehicle lunged in reverse. The contact mentioned that the wrench, ABS, and check engine warning lamps illuminated and then the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 108,000. Updated 11/29/13

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Apr 152013

Driving on interstate vehicle begins to slow down unexpectedly. No acceleration. Must pull to shoulder. Turn engine off. Wait a couple of minutes. Start engine resume travel-2 minutes later same incident-vehicle slows down. Pull to shoulder. Engine has difficulty starting. End result--vehicle has to be towed to dealership. Vehicle purchased March 2013- weeks after purchase 1st incident occurred. Car facility stated it was a throttle issue. Car facility supposed to have corrected the problem. May 2013 2nd incident--took vehicle to dealership (only for an oil change)--dealership stated a recall due to throttle issues. Now 3rd incident as noted above. Dealership stated for 3rd incident it is a throttle issue.

- Warsaw, NC, USA

Jul 162010

Freestyle 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would suddenly accelerate when idling or coasting (especially when turning) into a parking spot or driveway requiring hard braking to regain control of vehicle. Vehicle would stall when it came to a stop. Ford dealer diagnosed the problem as a "defective throttle body assembly" and charged $1200 for the repair and replacement. I recently discovered that Ford acknowledges this problem is frequent with the 2007 Freestyle model year and now performs a free throttle body "cleaning" to address the issue. Ford corporation and dealer refuse to refund the $1200 they charged for the "repair."

- Medford Lakes, NJ, USA

Jul 032013

My 2007 Ford Freestyle transmission started slipping recently. I have always taken good care of my car and my mechanic just told me that I need a new transmission. He also told me that there have been many problems with the 2007 Ford Freestyle transmissions. I cannot believe I have to replace my transmission which costs approximately $6,000 to replace. I will be contacting Ford directly as well.

- Belvidere , IL, USA

May 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle has had idling problems since about 80,000 miles. It currently has 94,000 and the dealership would only clean the throttle body despite numerous complaints on this type of vehicle. I have also had replaced several brake pads/ calipers/ tires as they seem to ware very easily. I've replace my right side caliper twice already. The last time my car started smoking on a highway out of no where as it seized up. Also after driving for 20-30 min my car starts making a whining noise as slowing down an turning. Steering fluid has been checkedand is ok. Possibly the cvt which I have very recently found out I' M far from the only one with this problem. This vehicle appears to have defective parts which are causing safety issues and I want it addressed.

- Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, USA

Jun 282013

Freestyle 6-cyl

After starting the 2007 Ford Freestyle it idols about 1000rpms. Upon putting it into drive or reverse when you lift off the brake the car will rev up the engine to about 2000rpms and speed forward or backward. This rev of the engine last approximately 1 second and then the car returns to normal idol speed. This creates a dangerous situation in which if you do not anticipate the acceleration you could have an accident.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Jun 292013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Over the last couple of years, I've noticed that the vehicle would jump a little when shifted into gear. Occasionally, the same little lurch would happen at a stoplight. Today, while stopped at idle the engine repeatedly revved over the course of about 10 seconds causing the vehicle to jump forward even with the brakes applied. Shortly after, a similar problem occurred, but not as pronounced as the previous event. After the incident, the performance of the engine seemed to have degraded and the vehicle was only able to accelerate very slowly.

- Sunset Beach, NC, USA

Apr 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

My vehicle has 110,000 miles on it. It has for the past 4 years jolting/launcing forward. It sounds like an airplane. It stalls when the weather is hot. Waiting patiently for a recall, feel that will be driving down the road and transmission will fall to the ground. Worst car I have every owned. I have seen many complaints on this vehicle. Have also had at on point trouble turning the steering wheel. Thinking should trade car in, but recently paid the car off.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Feb 192013

Put car in reverse veh lunged backward almost causing a crash. This has happened several more times wrench light comes on. Received a recall notice from Ford took veh in to dealer they said the recall only is for cleaning the throttle I needed a new throttle. Cost was $850 I have an extended warranty but it did not cover this part. I feel if Ford has a recall on this item it should be replaced if needed. I am very disappointed in what has gone on with this. Have seen many complaints on this situation it is obviously a problem with this model.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 082011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was on the freeway driving freeway speed in the middle lane when the engine stopped, I had no power. I was very lucky to be able to get to the freeway shoulder without an incident. After a few minutes, the engine started and back at freeway speed. A few miles later, the same happened. This continued for the next several hundred miles. Start, stop, start stop etc. Cost to replace fuel pump...$1000. Nov. 22, 2012 (two months later) @ 48200 miles, again on the freeway, the same happened. One hundred miles and four hours later I got to the repair shop. Another fuel pump, this time it was warranty by planet Ford here in spring, Texas. Nov. 2, 2012 at mileage 56023 another fuel pump failure. Ford said only the first pump fell under their warranty policy. I was told by a mechanic at Ford, I should try not to let the fuel tank get less than half full, the fuel in the tank keeps the pump cool. Another mechanic told me that because the drive shaft goes thru the tank, the tank is "split" and can cause the pump to overheat. Can you help? thanks.

- Spring, TX, USA

May 242011

Freestyle 6-cyl

After I bought my Freestyle, I started having serious surging issues, especially after idling for a time or when trying to park the vehicle. Sometimes it would occur during rush hour traffic, endangering my life and the lives of other motorists. I took the car to the dealership. The tech's suggested replacing various components of the car A/C system and other related components. No successful resolution was ever reached with the dealership, even after the suggested repairs were made. I continued to have surging issues, making the car unsafe. In January 2013, I took the car to a reputable mechanic who diagnosed the car with transmission failure, specifically the input shaft. I believe that the surging issue related to the subsequent transmission failure. Not only is my car unsafe to drive due to the surging issue, but now is completely undriveable due to the transmission failure. I was made aware in January 2013 that Ford issued a tsb in December 2012 relating to the surging issue and recommended a fix that would completely resolve the issue. But I believe this tsb came way too late. The surging damaged the transmission and thus created a problem within the transmission that wasn't there before. Ford took steps to solve a problem that made their cars unsafe. Now they need to come forward and further address the issue that the surging not only made the car unsafe, but damaged the car and then submit measures to resolve the issues of damaged transmissions.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Jan 222009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car surges forward when the brake is applied. And when driving in the summer the car will sometimes stall and the wrench light comes on.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

Apr 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Whenever I put it in forward or reverse there's a surge or in reverse its does a jerk. When I go in reverse I cant use the air conditioner. It cuts the car off and then the wrench comes up when I restart the car.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 032011

While at a signal completely stopped, the vehicle motor revved and excelled acted forward. This caused the engine to die and all dash lights came on. The engine light stayed on after restarting. This has happened several time almost causing several accidents. We have had our transmission replaced because of it. The amount of times it happened and torque it produced caused damage in transmission. We have had several mechanics refuse to work on this issue because they say this model is know to do this and no one knows how to fix it. I am out $7000 and a unreliable car that is unsafe to put my wife and kids in. Ford has said they would look at it and would cost me another $5000, and we're not sure if they themselves could fix it. They are not sure what the issue is, but would be willing to research if I pay for it.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jan 012011

While at rest, car suddenly surges forward. Then, while reversing my car started surging making it darn near impossible to drive as well as park. In 2011, spent 7000$ on a new transmission for a four yr old vehicle with 75,000 miles!!!! ridiculous. Now, the car surges in both directions and timing is off. Ford issued a one time throttle cleaning. What a joke! thanks Ford! $150$ service that fixes nothing and 20,000 people online that are out 5000-7000$ for transmissions get what?

- Antioch, CA, USA