2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Dec 292012

Freestyle 6-cyl

First time driving in the snow today in my Freestyle and as I was coming to a stop sign. I was braking and my car accelerated all by itself and I could not stop and went through the stop sign! I had my two kids in the car with me and it scared me to death! I am just glad there was no other vehicles around at the time. My car has done this in the past and its not safe at all but driving in the snow is extremely dangerous and I am scared to drive my own vehicle it seems to be getting worse.

- Cincinnati , OH, USA

Jan 032012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving at a slow speed, my Ford Freestyle will lunge forward even while braking. I have jumped curbs because of this issue and feel that this problem should be addressed before it causes someone serious injury.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl

At 49,660 miles we had to have the throttle body changed because the car lunged forward and stalled out. On June 19, 2012 our 2007 Ford Freestyle was serviced with a transmission flush and fluid change, and a multi-point inspection. Everything looked good. On Nov. 5, 2012 it would rev up when driving and would not accelerate. After researching, we found out that the cvt transmission that was put in the 2005-2007 Ford Freestyle is a defective design that poses numerous safety concerns. Ford does not even make the transmission any more, so our only choice is to pay over $5000 for a used/rebuilt one that may have the same problems. Our car is only 5 years old. We have taken good care of it. We need a reliable vehicle and do not have the money to fix this. Please have Ford recall these faulty cvt transmissions and have more concern for safety and customer satisfaction.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Nov 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Freestyle lunges when I am stopped. I have had the problem since I got the car and Ford seems to turn a blind eye. It seems to be worse when the air conditioner, defrost, heater is on. It is very scary and although I have not gotten in any accidents, I have gotten very close. Took it to dealer and they said I needed a new throttle body, however the manufacturer went bankrupt so the parts are hard to find. Now my car died completely and my mechanic is stating I need a new engine. How can this car not be recalled due to all of the complaints and issues reported. I see that an investigation was started, but can"T find any follow up information. Please recall this car!!

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Oct 042012

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the lights on the instrument panel would darken and the vehicle would lose power without warning. The vehicle would return to normal acceleration after several minutes but the air bag and service warning lights remained illuminated. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the left headlight, which caused water and moisture to penetrate. The left headlight was replaced however, the failure was not corrected. The failure mileage was 84,300 and the current mileage was 84,900.

- Sharon , PA, USA

Apr 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When I put the car in drive it lunges forward and when you put it in reverse it lunges back. If your foot is not on the brake you can hurt someone. Its worse when the air conditioner is on.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Dec 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car is cutting off when I drive it. It also races when I shift the gears. And when I turn the ac and shift the gears the car accelerates. My car has not been driven since May 2012. I've had it checked out by a car dealership repair shop and they couldn't find out what the problem is.

- Washington, D.C., DC, USA

Jun 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased my 2007 ff Dec of 2010. Three months after purchase, I noticed mild acceleration sometimes without applying my foot to the pedal. It became progressively worse by mid June. So much so that I contacted drivetime where I purchased the car & they gave me some transmission shop to take it to, only be told that it was normal for that particular transmission. Well, by 2012, the uninitiated acceleration has become so bad that a few months ago my car accelerated on its own & ran slam into the back of a lady's car causing more than $2000 worth of damage. I tried to explain to police that my car accelerated abruptly without me doing anything but slightly lifting my foot from the brake (never touching the gas). He didn't give me a ticket but said it was still my fault. My kids call the car a transformer but it is the worse trying to keep it from plunging forward or backward & hitting something or someone! I have to make absolute sure no one is around when I am in shopping lots because I am afraid when the car takes off backwards from parking spaces. I usually have to slam on brakes but then the car shuts off &on comes the engine light. Something has to be done about this dangerous problem with the Ford Freestyle!!!

- Richmond, VA, USA

May 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My foot was on the brake and I had the car in drive. The engine revved and the vehicle lunged. It has done so on multiple occasions since. It usually occurs when the air conditioner is running.

- Gibsonburg, OH, USA

Jun 062012

Freestyle 6-cyl

As I was stopping to get gas, the car surged when I was applying brakes. It is also surging as I am driving down the road. This is happening more and more. Getting to the point where I am scared to drive the car. I have grandkids that ride in the car with me. Can't afford to get a new car.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Jul 052010

Freestyle 6-cyl

We purchased this vehicle new 8/18/07 from palm coast Ford. In may or June 2010 I began noticing the car lunging when backing out of parking spots or once you have backed out and then placed into drive. I also encountered an issue with the car stalling if parked on an incline. On 7.5.10 the vehicle was left for several days with palm coast Ford for diagnostics and they claimed nothing was wrong with the car as they could not duplicate the "issues." As this "issue" did not seem appropriate I visited the daytona beach Ford dealership but this was not a documented visit as was the palm coast Ford visit. The daytona Ford service manager indicated it was a just the way the car was designed to prevent stalling when backing up or pulling forward. So I lived with this problem hoping that it wouldn't lunge and hit someone in a parking lot. My brother finally rode with me and said this is not correct so I took the vehicle to a non-Ford repair shop who recommended a tune-up be accomplished. This occurred Oct. 25, 2011 and corrected the problem. However, now whatever they accomplished with the tune-up is now wearing off as the vehicle has begun it's lunging problem again in the past few weeks. That's when I researched and found these incident reports so I want to report my problem to help you document there is definitely something going on with this make/model car. I like my Freestyle but there's definitely an issue with the lunging situation.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012012

The car surges when you put in gear, even with your foot on the brake. It does it in forward and reverse. It is very scary, many times I almost hit something. This past winter I was on the interstate and the car lost power, I could not go over 30 miles per hour.

- Chaska, MN, USA

Aug 262012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Incident 1: vehicle lunged forward during a low speed tight turn into a parking spot. Driver's right foot was on the brake, nothing was hit. Air conditioning was on. Unable to repeat. Incident 2: vehicle lunged backward while backing a small camping trailer into a driveway. Driver's right foot was on the brake, nothing was hit. Steering wheel was straight, air conditioning on. No damage. Unable to repeat.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Aug 252010

Freestyle 6-cyl

When stopped vehicle will lung forward, idle will go up & down causing this to lung, idle speed will vary from about 600 RPM to 1300 RPM this makes it hard to park and when on the road stopped, took to dealer for repair in Aug of 2010 repair (changed throttle body) that lasted for about 6 months and started again.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 072008

Freestyle 6-cyl Diesel

Car lunges when holding foot on the brake whether in drive or reverse. The lunging is getting worse. Very scary. Also, air conditioning does not work when idling or stopped; has begun acting like it's going to die and then lunging while driving on highway now. The car has done this since I got it in 2008, but was not as severe and being a woman, wasn't sure if this was just how this car acted for some weird reason. It is getting worse and worse now. It feels very dangerous. Now the air conditioner won't work when car is idling either. It works great when going down the highway or in cool or rainy weather. My life is driving. I am a healthcare contractor and must drive often. I need my car. I understand from what I have read (a lot) that many people are filing class action suits. I just want my car fixed asap.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Jul 042011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have also experienced unexpected vehicle movement when my foot was not on the accelerator. My vehicle has moved as much as 1-2 feet when the brake was not applied or lightly applied. I describe the movement as a "lunge". also, as others have reported, , the lunging has occured when my foot was not on the accelerator and was either firmly on the brake pedal or lightly on the brake pedal. I have only noticed this condition while in "drive". lunges have been sudden and unexpected, and generally are of brief duration. The condition seems worse with the air-conditioning in operation and/or when the steering wheel is turned.

- Winthrop, ME, USA

Aug 092012

We purchased this vehicle on Wednesday August 8th, 2012. We were backing up out of a parking spot and as my husband turned the steering wheel the car accelerated backwards and the car shut off after he hit the brakes. He did not have his foot on the accelerator at all. In fact, he was in transition from the brake and his foot hadn't even hit the accelerator pedal yet. This is the only problem we have experienced since having the vehicle. I would not say it lunges forward or reverse- I would say it hops forward or reverse. It's seems to be a spurt of acceleration. The vehicle shifts fine into gear, no stalls, no grinding noises, just little spurts when it's backing up. The only difference between my husbands driving and mine is that I always engage the emergency brake when I park. I'm used to driving manual transmissions. So, when I put the vehicle into reverse I still have the emergency brake on and the spurts do not occur with my driving. I did find it alarming that with my particular vehicle it does not require my foot to be on the brake pedal in order to start the vehicle. I can start the vehicle by simply turning the key. This is not something I'm used to seeing in modern vehicles as I am used to driving Volkswagen's. I'm concerned because I don't know if this problem will get worse. Will I drive down the road and not be able to stop? I can't afford extra parts. I love everything about this vehicle (and from a Volkswagen enthusiast that says a lot). I just don't know what to do or what the worst case scenario is. I don't want to lose my life.

- Sterrett, AL, USA

Jul 202012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle will lunge unexpectedly in idle, with foot on the brake. Sometimes the vehicle will surge and shut down. This happens more with the air conditioning on. I will shut off the A/C, then restart the vehicle and drive without A/C.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Apr 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine revs with no accelerator pressure when going from park to reverse or drive. It is fortunate that the brake pedal must be depressed to remove the shifter from park so the sudden movement can be somewhat controlled if you are expecting it. If you were in neutral which wouldn't require your foot on the brake, the consequences could be nasty to nearby vehicles or pedestrians. My wife is trying to just drive my work truck as the Freestyle has her very concerned for her and others' safety.

- Norfolk, NE, USA

Mar 102012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When idling/parking the vehicle will surge uncontrollably. Causing near misses of other cars and personnel.

- Huntsville, AL, USA