2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 5 of 21)

Aug 102012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while the vehicle was in reverse, the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly. The failure recurred as soon as the contact shifted into drive. The check engine warning light illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 45,000.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Aug 092012

Freestyle

We purchased this vehicle on Wednesday August 8th, 2012. We were backing up out of a parking spot and as my husband turned the steering wheel the car accelerated backwards and the car shut off after he hit the brakes. He did not have his foot on the accelerator at all. In fact, he was in transition from the brake and his foot hadn't even hit the accelerator pedal yet. This is the only problem we have experienced since having the vehicle. I would not say it lunges forward or reverse- I would say it hops forward or reverse. It's seems to be a spurt of acceleration. The vehicle shifts fine into gear, no stalls, no grinding noises, just little spurts when it's backing up. The only difference between my husbands driving and mine is that I always engage the emergency brake when I park. I'm used to driving manual transmissions. So, when I put the vehicle into reverse I still have the emergency brake on and the spurts do not occur with my driving. I did find it alarming that with my particular vehicle it does not require my foot to be on the brake pedal in order to start the vehicle. I can start the vehicle by simply turning the key. This is not something I'm used to seeing in modern vehicles as I am used to driving Volkswagen's. I'm concerned because I don't know if this problem will get worse. Will I drive down the road and not be able to stop? I can't afford extra parts. I love everything about this vehicle (and from a Volkswagen enthusiast that says a lot). I just don't know what to do or what the worst case scenario is. I don't want to lose my life.

- Sterrett, AL, USA

Aug 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have recently purchased the 2007 Ford Freestyle and have noticed at times when I put it into drive or reverse it lunges without my pressing the acceleration. This is very concerning because it feels unsafe and likely to cause an accident!

- Spencer, IN, USA

Jul 202012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle will lunge unexpectedly in idle, with foot on the brake. Sometimes the vehicle will surge and shut down. This happens more with the air conditioning on. I will shut off the A/C, then restart the vehicle and drive without A/C.

- Tigard, OR, USA

Sep 152010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle suddenly surged forward. The failure also occurred while the vehicle was in reverse and most often when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician stated that the mass flow sensor would have to be replaced. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Akron, OH, USA

May 012010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped or in reverse, the accelerated forward. The failure recurred without warning and on a consistent basis. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or a repair shop for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Carencro, LA, USA

Jun 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When I move my 2007 Ford Freestyle from park to reverse or drive, my car lunges forward unexpectedly even though I'm not pressing on the accelerator. I have to brake hard to stop the car. Sometimes the car's engine cuts out and the repair light goes on. When I restart the car it's ok. Seems to happen more in warmer weather. I am concerned that the lunging will cause an accident soon as I must slam on the brakes to stop it.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 082012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle surged while driving at low speeds. The failure would mostly occur when the contact was attempting a turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The failure mileage was 73,000 and the current mileage was 78,099...updated 11/01/12 the consumer stated there were 3-4 incidents of surging, from trying to park or pulling into a parking space. Updated 11/02/12

- Haddonfield , NJ, USA

Aug 012008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle surged forward without having the acceleration pedal depressed. The check engine warning light was also illuminated. The failure recurred sporadically. The contact was able to secure an appointment for diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The current mileage was 95,000. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jul 272012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward while driving at low speeds or while stopped. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who ran a diagnostic test but could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 117,557.

- South Haven, MS, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle

When traveling at low speeds in forward and reverse the car lunges even when not pressing the accelerator. It has happened multiple times continuously over the past year or more. Today alone the lunging has happened four times. At least two times in the last two months the engine has stalled in conjunction with the lunging. While no accidents have occurred yet, there have been some close calls in parking situations.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Jun 252012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle lunged forward rapidly even though the accelerator pedal was not applied. The failure recurred several times while driving and while parking. The contact had to brake in order to stop acceleration. The check engine warning light and the service needed warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or repair shop for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and a diagnostic test was scheduled. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Mooreville, ME, USA

Jun 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle a "surging" at low speeds. Especially bad and dangerous when attempting to parallel park. Requires foot on brake during parking, and extreme caution. Vehicle "surges" in both forward and reverse gears. While attempting to accelerate on the highway there was no power and it took approximately one mile to reach highway cruising speed. The throttle body was replaced at customer's expense by the Ford dealer. The mileage on the vehicle is now 78,234 and the same problem is occurring.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford freestlye. The contact stated that while decreasing speed and while stopping, the vehicle pushed forward. The contact also stated that the vehicle momentarily surged forward when the accelerator pedal was no longer engaged. The contact had to rapidly apply the brakes to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred frequently. The throttle body was replaced, but the failure continued. The failure and current mileages were 42,000. Updated 8/7/12

- El Paso , TX, USA

Jul 122012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving in 90 degree + temperatures, we have noticed that the car lurches while reversing from a parking spot, or at a stop. Braking does stop the unexpected acceleration, however it still feels unsafe. This has happened 3-6 times, and as recently as today (7/17/12). It is not driver error - again has happened enough that we are able to analyze that the foot is not on the gas. Check engine light comes on when this occurs.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 162012

Freestyle

We had noticed that the car would surge from time to time at lower speeds. I found some information on the wed that indicated that NHTSA was investigating a lunging problem. I took that information to the dealership and was sure that they would repair because of the safety issues. I found that they would not, but they have a tsb 11-10-21 for the problem that appears to be like what we are experiencing. I am a professor in the automotive engineering technology department at Minnesota state university, mankato and this is a definite safety issue. Yesterday while hooking up a trailer, the car lunged in reverse.....my wife was trying to hook up a trailer with someone between the car and trailer. No one was injured, but it is a safety problem.

- Mankato, MN, USA

Jul 012009

Freestyle

The vehicle routinely lurches forward while my foot is on the brake and the engine is idling. This began during the summer of 2009, and continues today. It is especially common during warm weather. Sometimes after this happens, the engine will stall after I take my foot off the brake and try to accelerate on my own.

- Huntington Woods, MI, USA

Jul 142012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Bought vehicle used 8 days ago. On two occasions, once yesterday and once today, the vehicle seemed to throttle up with gas pedal not applied and foot on brake. Both instances were in a parking lot. On both instances...outside temperature was over 100 degrees F and the air conditioner was on in both front/back modes. I simply put the car in drive and as I was turning out of parking spot, foot on brake maneuvering turn...the vehicle lunged forward. Startled me on both occasions. I was able to stop vehicle, but some distance had occurred. Fortunately, no one was in front of me. The "lunge" almost feels like you "stomped" the gas pedal to the floor for just a second. That is the best description of what the discrepancy feels like. I'm very worried...just purchasing this vehicle. It's the weekend, so I will be in contact with a dealership first thing.

- Altus, OK, USA

Mar 132012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact was entering a parking space at 5 mph when the engine RPM's increased excessively. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who inspected the failure and replaced the throttle body assembly. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,011.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Jul 032009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact started the ignition and shifted from park into reverse. The vehicle unexpectedly lunged backward with the illumination of the engine warning indicator. The malfunction also occurred when shifting into drive. The failure recurred sporadically in hot weather temperatures. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the throttle body was cleaned; however the failure recurred six months later. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 24,223. Updated 08/07/12 the consumer stated the vehicle will stall anywhere and the wrench light comes. The vehicle must be restarted in order to drive normal the check engine light does not always illuminate during failure. Updated 08/14/2012

- Grove Hill, AL, USA