2005 Ford Mustang electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Mar 132010

Mustang 6-cyl

Driving on wet roads, front passenger side leak, shorting fuse box. Car lights, turn signals, instrument panels, and radio all go dead. When car is put into park it will not shift back out. Dries out, and all is well again. This is an extreme safety issue.....imagine if you will driving on a highway late at night in traffic only to have all your lights and turn signals go out.

- Mechanicsville, MD, USA

Sep 012009

Mustang

On my 2005 Ford Mustang, which was purchased used, after having it for 2 month the fuel and odometer gauges began acting erratic. The dealership would not cover as part of the warranty. This is a defect and why should the consumer be let holding the financial bag...

- Parkesburg, PA, USA

Aug 302009

Mustang

Driving down the highway in a drizzle rain, the headlights, blinkers, fuel gauge, stereo, stopped working, the ebrake light, fuel light, check engine light, oil light, came on. The traction control turned of and will not turn back on. On passenger side of vehicle floor was wet, the smart junction box had water on it and on the wiring harness.

- Pensaocla, FL, USA

Jan 032009

Mustang

The Mustang battery dies out prematurely. I have had 2 batteries die out in the course of 2.5 years.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Dec 232008

Mustang

Was driving down the highway Dec 23, 2008 when the entire electrical system on my 2005 Ford Mustang with 25,000 miles on it went completely dead. I purchased this slightly used Mustang at a Chrysler dealer six months ago and I purchased a top of the line extended warr, for $2000 when the vehicle was taken to the Ford dealership my top of the line extended warr. Did not cover the repairs due to the problem being a known factory defect. Ford Motor Company was no help with the problem also due to the car being slightly over the 3 year warr but not over the 36,000 mile warr. I have done some research since then on the matter and found this problem is a big problem with Ford. The internet is loaded with complaints from consumers with this exact same problem as mine. I would imagine driving down the highway at 65 miles per hr could be a catastrophe after losing all electrical power. Ford has a tsb number for this problem, it is tsb 07-14-6. the problem is water is entering the cowl area on the front of car and getting to the electrical system and shorting the system out. To make things worse, after all denied response to fix factory defect, they handed me a bill for $508 to trouble shoot problem when I specifically told the dealership there was a tsb notice on this problem and the problem was that of the tsb 07-14-6. this is no way fair and something has to be done.

- Rochester, PA, USA

Aug 082008

Mustang

Complete lighting failure while traveling at night. While driving home all of my lights began to flicker then completely failed, no headlights tail lights dash ( seemed to be a complete electrical failure ) initially thought engine had quit but no it was still running. I did get an engine code indicator light on the dash. Once pulled over I checked the battery cables both were tight still no lights in the process I had put the car in park, transmission locked in park. After a short while lights came back on. Everything seemed normal so I resumed my attempt to reach home however a few miles down the road it did it again. Next day I took the vehicle into the dealership where they told me they had to reprogram the computer. Vehicle so far has operated fine so far. Not sure if the problem was related to the chips in the keys or the anti theft system however if this had occurred on a remote road or highway it could very well have caused an accident. I had no electrical period including the emergency flashers. The battery, alternator, and fuses were all functional.

- Dalzell, SC, USA

Jun 012008

Mustang

There is an electrical problem. First 1 blinker started blinking fast(all lights were good), then it stopped, then the other blinker started, then stopped. Next the window would not auto close when the door was opened and closed letting water in when it rained. Then that stopped. Next both blinkers started blinking fast. I was told by the dealer that the extended warranty I bought does not cover finding the problem.

- Keansburg, NJ, USA

Apr 022008

Mustang

The battery in my 2005 Mustang convertible has gone dead twice. There is a technical service bulletin out on this, tsb 07-5-13 which says to tell the owner to buy a battery charger. This tsb applies to 2005-2008 Mustangs, 2005 Explorer Sport Trac, 2005-2008 Expedition and Explorer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac, 2005-2008 Lincoln Navigator and the 2005-2008 Mercury Mountaineer. Ford knows there is a constant drain on these cars that drains the battery unless the car is driven basically every day. They refuse to even replace the battery.

- Rolla, MO, USA

Dec 232007

Mustang 6-cyl

While driving in light rain, I experienced a total failure of my electrical system, including headlights, door locks, interior lights, radio, trunk release, etc. At that point, all warning indicators lit up on dash. I pulled over, put the car in "park" only to discover that, while the electrical issues continued, I couldn't get the car out of "park". after ~ 10 minutes the electric systems came back online, but the "check engine" light remained on. After taking the car to the dealership, I was told the problem was a water leak. There are numerous posts about this issue online, but the dealership claimed to have never heard of it before and refused to fix it free of charge, despite the fact that it's a manufacturer's defect. This could cause a serious problem if the problem occurs while driving at night, when loss of headlights could have catastrophic consequences.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Apr 282006

Mustang 8-cyl

I have had repeated problems with my cd player (shakker 500) I have had six stereos in the car and all six have done the same thing. They will make horrible noises, say bad disk or disk error or nothing at all before it starts spitting out the cd's. if I do not grab the first cd, it will spit out all six. I have had an independent inspection of the car to determine the problem because I do not feel it is the stereo. The inspection states that the voltage is dropping in the car which sends the stereo into an erratic state. Ford Motor Company says that they cannot duplicate the problem so their solution is to keep putting stereo's in the car. I just had a "brand new" stereo installed on April 26, 2006. This was to be Ford's final attempt to fix the problem. The stereo went crazy again twice on Friday April 28, 2006. I have repeatedly complained about this being a safety issue because I can't keep taking my attention from my driving to catch cd's. I want a resolution and I am not getting it with Ford. I want to know how to go about getting a recall issued on this car stereo/ car/ voltage problem. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 302005

Mustang 8-cyl

2005 Ford Mustang GT -had an electrical system problem which resulted in a crash. While turning off of the highway into a residential area the transmission malfunctioned causing uncontrollable acceleration. The brakes were appliedbut the vehicle continued to accelerate. The front brakes did not stop the vehicle. The vehicle went into a clock wise spin. The car turned onto the driver's side and then hit a tree. What happened next was that the electrical system was still acting strange, the trunk opened and trying to close it back down the lights came off and on. The door locks would lock and unlock by themselves. The vehicle had $6,300 worth of damage. The dealership did not assist the consumer with anything. The vehicle was purchased on August 29, 2005 as a new vehicle which only had 72 miles on it. Upon impact the airbags did not deploy and the fuel cut off switch did not activate. A police report was taken.

- Alvarado, TX, USA

Jul 292005

Mustang 8-cyl

The modulator for the fuel ejection system did not work on July 29, 2005. The vehicle stopped and quit running in the middle of the road. Had it towed to the Ford dealer. Its has been almost 2 weeks, and they did not have the part. The check engine light came on came on. The vehicle stalled.

- Granda Hills, CA, USA