2005 Ford Mustang electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Sep 012014

Mustang

Instrument cluster (panel) - speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge all not working. Can't tell how fast I am going or how much gas I have ect all 6 gauges do not register at all.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Feb 042006

Mustang

Corrosion on the hood, water leaking on pass. Side door, water leaking under the glove box, bissell and gauges not working, speeds up in excessive speed without giving gas,

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Mar 262016

Mustang

Had the airbag replaced/ weeks later had the "faulty seal" problem followed by the "sjm " box (smart junction box) destroyed by the water damage due to faulty seal. Now the sjm is on backorder until Aug. 2016. Seal already replaced in March/2016 when order placed for sjb. Researching the problem there are thousands of complaints regaurding 05-07 Mustang models. Due to make design. Unfortunately, resulting in window motor failure, battery drain, headlights stuck on high beams, turn signals stuck on, insturment cluster malfunction and dash lights fail. I have searched for any recall information and civil suite/ class action. The dangers and the numbers are clear, Ford needs to be investigated on this matter. The Ford customers deserve to be compensated for their losses and damages. Especially in the case of individuals whom are waiting for the sjm box to be manufactured due to shortage of materials.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Oct 152014

Mustang 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. When the vehicle was started, the speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, and temperature gauge failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 84,000. Updated 03/09/16

- Neffs, PA, USA

Jun 012015

Mustang

Defect in under cowl drainage leads to rainwater leaking into passenger compartment. Water drains down wiring harness into the smart junction box casing electrical shorts that at first caused the right headlamp to shutdown after 15 seconds. Recycling the headlight switch brings the headlight back on for another 15 seconds. This condition renders the vehicle unsafe to operate from sunset to sunrise. Now the drivers side headlamp has begun the same problem. I checked online and it is apparent that this is a significant safety issue for which the vehicle manufacturer has no part available to fix. They initially informed me that the smj would be available to purchase last September. That has now been pushed back to February of 2016. They want over $400 for the part plus additional labor to program and install a component that should have been recalled years ago. This problem is already covered under a tsb and the defect can cause a multitude of malfunctions that could easily result in life threatening situations. I just recently checked and found over 286 reports on file with NHTSA, yet no apparent investigations appear to have been conducted, nor a recall. It is my sincer hope that NHTSA is not waiting for a body count before taking action. www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-Mustang-talk/301555-pics-vid-2005-dash-water-leak-fix.html#/forumsite/20799/topics/301555"page=1 https://docs.google.com/document/D/1rwsgwtizix5qu_tgsnhlx4mwgnsuji-zs6pjwsa_sre/mobilebasic"pli=1

- Evans, CO, USA

Oct 102015

Mustang

This 2005 Mustang was bought used about a year and a half ago. Within a few months we noticed the messenger side floor would be wet when it rained. Soon after the speedometer quit working. The extended warranty did not cover the repair. A few months later the heat and air control unit went out. These two repairs cost over a thousand dollars to fix. On October 102015 while at the drive up teller at a bank the car would not come out of park. Tried shutting it off but would not restart. Seemed to have complete electrical failure. No lights gauges or anything electrical would work. It was raining. After jumping the car several times we were able to get it home. We inspected the ECU and found green and white corrosion indicating water had been getting inside the box. When I called Ford they took a report but said they would not fix the problem unless there was a recall. There is a technical service bulletin issued tsb 07-14-6

- Lexington, MO, USA

Aug 222012

Mustang

Fuel gauge reading past empty, will not show any change in fuel level. Other gauges showing same signs of failing. Internet has many companies that will fix the gauge cluster, so it must be a common problem with Mustangs. Also the led daytime lighting on the dashboard gauges is very low not able to read the speedometer or other gauges.

- Depew, NY, USA

May 012009

Mustang

My tachometer fail a few years ago. When I took it to the dealer, he said all Mustang gauges fail and to be happy it wasn't the speedometer. Slowly over time all the electrical has been having problems. Sometimes the car won't start, all the gauges stop working, the check engine light goes on and off for no reason. Also the driver seat electrical failed, was replaced and failed again. I couldn't afford to have it fixed.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Apr 152013

Mustang

Dash cluster stops working no fuel, temp, no speed. Sometimes everything stops working. If I restart car it seems to reset its self. When trying to fill up gas tank it won't allow fuel to go in shuts pump off splashes out, found that if I hold fuel nozzle upside down I can get some gas in but takes about 10-15 mins to fill tank. These problems occur every week. I have not received notice yet of recall for airbag. Ford should recall gas tank problem and dash clusters seems like 2005 years have issues!

- Orrtanna, PA, USA

Feb 202015

Mustang 6-cyl

Speedometer not functioning. While driving 30mph will register as 50mph or while driving 60pmh will register as 120mph. Emissions trouble light will periodically go on.

- Monona, WI, USA

Jul 082014

Mustang

2005 roush Mustang GT sport. Manual transmission. Only 24,000 miles. Collector condition. Instrument cluster issue. Tachometer stopped working. Fuel gauge intermittent. Temperature gauge intermittent. Speedometer still working.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 012008

Mustang 6-cyl

None of the gauges work. I have to drive pacing myself with other vehicles. Only the icon for gas needed comes on when the gas is low. Starting after about 10,000 miles on the car I have had increasing problems getting fuel in the car. Not just myself, but anyone that tries to fuel the car. I initially started holding the fuel nozzle upside down to get gas and that worked for a few years. (although you look like a dumb ass that doesn't know how to put gas in a car!) this last year it has gotten so bad that I am lucky to get 2 gallons in it, and that is with it repeatedly shutting off. Since day one the right front wheel makes a grinding/clunking noise when I turn the tire in either direction. It makes me feel like the wheel will fall off. My cars body assembly is also crap. The front lower grill has popped off and disappeared. I have seen several, at least 10 other Mustangs of this year missing the same part. The plastic, yes plastic!, screws pop out. The places where the inside seams of the car are supposed to connect are detached. The light enclosure in the trunk will not stay attached. The seat handles fall off. I only have 50,000 miles on this car. Repair shops tell me to wait for a recall, when is that going to happen?

- Santee, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Mustang 6-cyl

The speedometer were not working at all. I read in very forum that 2005 models with very same issue. Think Ford should recall the cluster. I read this in other complain and my opinion is the same. "please recall the gauge cluster it's the right thing to do for a big name company like Ford. Original owner".

- Camuy, PR, USA

Dec 112014

Mustang

. I got in my car an started the engine. I then noticed my fuel gauge and speedometer were not working at all. I have always taken care of my Mustang an I think Ford should recall the cluster. There's been plenty of 2005 models with very same issue. Please recall the gauge cluster it's the right thing to do for a big name company like Ford. Original owner.

- Canby, OR, USA

May 252011

Mustang 6-cyl

The incident reported below also happened to me. Ford replaced the entire instrument cluster at no charge to me. I got in my car an started the engine. I then noticed my fuel gauge and speedometer were not working at all. I have always taken care of my Mustang an I think Ford should recall the cluster. There's been plenty of 2005 models with very same issue. Please recall the gauge cluster it's the right thing to do for a big name company like Ford.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 292014

Mustang 6-cyl

Since about a year ago, November 2013, this vehicle has shown multiple issues. To start, it is an automatic 05 Mustang which, the more I read online, the more that I seem to find that many have these exact same or very similar issues. Initially the dash cluster (everything besides the tachometer) was not functioning properly. The speedometer would get stuck at 20 mph but still move acting as though the 20 mph was the 0 mph mark (so 35 mph = 15 mph). More recently the gas gauge has stopped working, it sits at empty even after plenty of gas has been put into it. The temperature gauge also gets stuck often, still moving as the speedometer does. Not too long after these issues started occurring, when I went to fill up the gas tank it wouldn't take the gas as it normally would. Sometimes only a couple dollars worth would be in before it clicked off. After paying closer attention I have also noticed sometimes gas actually splashes out when filling it up even though it is definitely not full. Much more recently the vehicle has worrying issues. At one point while driving on the freeway at 70 mph the vehicle suddenly started to decelerate on its own, even while I was pressing on the gas pedal. I pulled it off to the side, shut it off completely, started it up and it was as though nothing happened. Ever since that incident though it has been running a bit louder and now it seems a possible misfire is happening with one of the cylinders occasionally. The vehicle has a delayed and very hard shift from third to fourth gear. It is not as though the vehicle has not been taken care of, and for a 2005 the mileage is pretty low still. At least one or two of these issues seem to be a safety concern, and it is very obvious after researching online that these issues are prevalent in tons of these exact same vehicles.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Nov 042014

Mustang 6-cyl

They get stuck especially in cooler weather. The tach is now stuck hanging in the down position. The odometer can go anywhere from 20 to 40 mph faster than I am going. When stopped it will be in that position.

- Brandon, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Mustang 6-cyl

Speedometer and tachometer needle does not function correctly. Speedometer does not move half the time from resting position and the tachometer will rotate all the way around and stay where it is when the car is turned off. The battery, oil, and temp needles do not move from off position half the time. Transmission does not shift smoothly and shifts harder going from second to third.

- Aragon, GA, USA

Mar 302010

Mustang 8-cyl

This is regarding a defect, but not an accident. I had the exact same issues on my 2000 Mustang, which Ford declared a lemon 2 years after I purchased it new. Primary problem is fault in electrical system, which causes intermittent and increasingly inoperative problems with engine dying in the middle of the road, even at high speeds, losing all steering and control; convertible top opening and closing; windows opening and closing by themselves but not when desired; and dash gauges not working, indicating randomly and literally off the chart, or spectrum, if you will. Other intrinsic issues include gas tank gauge giving false "full" read every few seconds whenever attempting to refuel, requiring near constant repositioning of nozzle, and random interior parts falling off without even minimal use and within 3 years of owning vehicle. Vehicle currently has only 67,000 miles on it. Since this is my 2nd Mustang with same problems, I have to believe it should have been a recall. Please recall this vehicle, and all Ford with these issues. Dangerous and problematic, not only because you cannot close and lock your car, but because engine dying in middle of road has almost caused what could have easily been a very serious accident on more than a few occasions, in both cars. I have seen many complaints online regarding the engine stalling out, which seems to have something to do with running the air conditioner.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 202010

Mustang 6-cyl

Entire gauge cluster is now inoperable. First thing to stop working was fuel gauge, needle stuck around 1/8th tank. Low fuel lamp indicator still works and is only way to know when low on fuel. Around same time speedometer needle started sticking at random points, more noticeable as weather got cooler. Would go up with acceleration but not all the way back down when braking. Needle is now stuck all the way cw on trip reset button. Odometer still works correctly. Then same with tachometer a few months later. Finally quit looking at gauge cluster while driving, not really sure when coolant temperature gauge got stuck and quit working. Have seen many complaints of the same problem. Ford seemed to fix the problem in the next year model, but still refuse any sensible solution for affected vehicles in 2005. To have issue fixed by Ford: $660 for new instrument cluster + labor.

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA