2005 Ford Mustang electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Mustang:

2005 Ford Mustang Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Sep 012014

Mustang

The speedometer on my Ford saleen Mustang 2005 recently has stopped working properly, the needle on the speedometer sits on 10 mph when idling, when I accelerate the needle is off by 10 mph, this is a safety issue, not knowing how fast you are traveling. I have looked up if there are any recalls available through the web and have only found similar issues on forums.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Mustang

After a light rain I noticed water dripping into the passenger side kick plate/glove box area. Car would not start. Had it towed to dealer. Started next day and could not replicate problem. Next day, same problem. Water noticeable in passenger compartment. Shook smart junction box and notice water leaking out. Car started and stopped when sjb shaken. Took to dealer. Replaced sjb for $750. Month later same issue, this time car shut off while driving on freeway in rain. Loss of all control, electrical and power. Could not restart. Pounded on sjb and eventually started. Got it back home. Now brakes lights, turn signal, headlights, A/C and display panel not operating. I am surprised that someone has not been killed yet. In trying to solve this issue, it appears that the internet is fully of the same stories. Sickening.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 012008

Mustang 6-cyl

The instrument cluster on my Mustang began behaving erratically at about the time and mileage noted for a long time, the speedometer and tachometer would work for 30-45 minutes of driving (less when it was hot outside) then quit, however the gas and temperature gauges worked consistently until a few years later. In 2010 or thereabouts the other gauges quit working. The warning lights still work and the speedometer/tachometer come on feebly for a few minutes when you first start driving the car the gas and temperature gauges never change at all. I used the low fuel light for the last few years to tell when I needed gas and have had no idea how fast I was going most of the time. Apparently this is so common there is a cottage industry providing a rebuild of the instrument cluster for these cars much more cheaply than Ford. Although my car is far out of warranty (254,000 miles and still running good) I thought it would help to report this issue since it appears to have happened to so many of these cars. Otherwise a great car, bought a 2014 V6 Mustang replacement.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Jul 152014

Mustang 6-cyl

After the leaving the car turned off for approximately 1.5 hours my two teenage daughters, age 17 and 15, got in the car to drive home and noticed that the car smelled a little smoky. They drove down the road for about 5 minutes when the electrical panel went dead, then the power locks began to go up and down continuously and the smell of smoke became more prominent. At this point, they became very concerned that they were going to be locked in the car with smoke pouring out and not be able to get out of the car. So they pulled into a parking lot, immediately exited the car and called 911. As soon as they got out of the car, smoke began billowing out of both doors which were left open. 5 minutes after exiting the car, flames which reached two feet high, began coming out from under the glove compartment. A passerby obtained a fire extinguisher and tried to put out the flames, then the fire department arrived and proceeded to put out the fire completely. The fire department indicated that it was an electrical fire but were not able to determine the source. They indicated that they thought the vehicle was totaled, which was in fact the case. Clearly, this was a very upsetting situation for our entire family. We feel blessed that the girls were able to get out in time, but also upset at the thought of what could have happened had they not acted immediately or were not in a position to do so.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jul 012013

Mustang

Automatic transmission has trouble shifting into low gear. Doesn't want to accelerate after stopping. Sounds as if it is stuck in a gear. Have read many complaints about this online and Ford just claims it isn't their problem. Also, all gauges quit working at approx 70,000 miles. Fuel system is terrible. Will not pump gas past half a tank and spits gas back out while pumping like its full. Causes pump to constantly shut off. All of these are incredibly dangerous and makes this car unsafe to drive.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Feb 062014

Mustang 6-cyl

Drove not knowing how fast I was going except my gps thank god, airbag said malfuntion popped me in the face, lights were dim couldn't see and drove into a pole. Third huge issue and Ford won'R fix B/C warranty I could have killed or been killed.

- Sleepy Hollow, NY, USA

Jun 122013

Mustang 6-cyl

My car shows erratic needle movement and gauges are reading over heat 0 miles per hour while moving and sticks at 120 mph after use and is parked. Gas meter is off, odometer is off, it's very scary to drive and expensive. Already dealt with the water leak issue form passenger side. Cluster panel is broken I believe. Bad dash board. Hundreds of forums explain same issues on going years on new models. Not safe or fair for Ford to not address this death trap.

- Sleepy Hollow , NY, USA

Jun 182014

Mustang 6-cyl

While traveling, the speedometer indicated speed changed from 60 mph to 125 mph. It now reads 65 mph when stopped, even while off, and seems to always indicate actual speed plus 65. There is no way to determine actual speed.

- Liberty Lake, WA, USA

May 132011

Mustang

I was driving down the road at the speed limit when all of a sudden the engine light came on and the car immediately stalled. I had to pull over to the shoulder and put my hazards on so I didn't get hit from behind or cause a dangerous accident to the other motorists. I turned off the car, left the hazards on and waited a few minutes before starting it up again. It started thankfully and I was able to pull into a parking lot safely to avoid an accident. Very frightening experience. Eventually someone was able to come and help me get my car home. We believe that the incident had something to do with the defective throttle body, and throttle body sensor. Ford should have recalled this problem and pay for their faulty parts. This car is a 2005 Ford Mustang convertible with a V6 engine.

- Medford, NJ, USA

Jun 062014

Mustang 6-cyl

Returning home from work, the engine stopped operating. I pulled onto the median and managed to bring my vehicle to a stop. The check engine light as well as other icons were lit up on the information panel which indicated there was still electrical power. After a couple of attempts the vehicle started and I proceeded on my way. Traffic was heavy by this time. Within the next mile or so the vehicle stalled an additional 4-5 times particularly when stopped at intersections. I managed to restart the vehicle and proceeded directly to the auto dealership since it was on my way.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Mar 012014

Mustang 6-cyl

The instrument cluster on my 2005 Mustang is failing. The RPM (tach) does not work at all. My temperature gauge does not work at all. My speedometer is starting to fail. I have researched and found this is a common problem w/ the 2005 Mustangs, yet there is no recall. If my car overheats, I will never know it. When my speedometer finally fails, I will not know how fast I am going.

- Oak Lawn, IL, USA

Jul 012013

Mustang

The speedometer gauge is stuck around 100 mph when the car is not moving. The gauge then moves from that point once the car is in motion.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 192014

Mustang 6-cyl

My fuel gauge, car temperature, and speedometer, all of a sudden started reading all over the place. The fuel gauge goes way past the full mark. The temperature gauge goes way past the hot mark. The speedometer always reads 110 mph.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 162008

Mustang 6-cyl

The speedo went first then all the other gauges started giving false on no reading at all. I am using a gps for a speedo others in this small town say they are having the same problems with there 2005 Mustangs.I took it back to the dealer they said they knew of no recalls or problems.

- Sheridan, AR, USA

Apr 062014

Mustang 6-cyl

Water got to fuse box made headlights go off and flooded passenger side of car.

- Bienville, LA, USA

Apr 022014

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated while driving 50 mph, the speedometer stop working without any warnings. The contact mentioned that the speedometer was reading 0 mph when the driver was traveling approximately 25 mph. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 26,865.

- Ritzville, WA, USA

Mar 022014

Mustang

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the temperature gauge became inoperable with no symptoms of the engine over heating. A certified mechanic replaced the thermostat and temperature gauge. The failure persisted after the repair was performed. In addition, an independent mechanic diagnosed the vehicle where a trouble code was not detected. Recently the fuel gauge failed to operate. The vehicle had not been repaired for either one of the defects. The manufacturer was notified and they informed that there was not a recall related to the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Pawnee, OK, USA

Mar 172014

Mustang 6-cyl

Dash board gauge stepper motors are faulty resulting in no speed registered...no coolant temp registered..improper/no fuel level reading...incorrect/no R.P.M. readings... upon start up, the gauges go, for lack of better word, crazy..or don't operate at all lots of Ford Mustang owners are experiencing this issue>>>> dangerous to not know the speed RPM fuel level and coolant temp.... could result in accident, vehicle damage...or worse!! Ford needs to be advised to recall and fix this issue....

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 052011

Mustang 6-cyl

Gauges quit working. Started with speedometer and has grown to include not only the speedometer but also the tachometer and temperature gauge.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Jan 012010

Mustang 6-cyl

None of the gauges on this vehicle work. Including speed/temp/oil/fuel.

- Oakley, CA, USA