6.7

2. fuel pump replaced (1 reports)
  3. push gas pump nozzle tightly against vehicle to make good seal (1 reports)
2006 Ford Mustang fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Mustang:

2006 Ford Mustang Owner Comments

Aug 042007

Mustang 4.6L

I often get the same problem, the fuel pump cuts off before the tank is full. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries or maybe 30 seconds to let it air out. Either I will take the nozzle out and kind of let the tank air out or really try to push the nozzle into the mouth in order to get the rubber to complete a seal around it. Most of the time this works for me. I don't understand it all but there is some kind of sensor to tell it whe it is full on every car. I think the fumes from the gas going in is the cause. This makes more sense during the heat of the day. Like I said it may take a couple of tires but it works for me.

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

May 042011

Mustang GT

since i was assured that it was right the last time it was "fixed" you can imagine that I'm not too confident this time, especially since the last time it was returned the gas tank door would not open without scratching the car and the car dealership assured me that they had not touched it.

- , Manchester, GA, USA

Mar 012011

Mustang GT

fuel pump replaced but torn up again 05/04/11. Will be taking it to the shop for another try tomorrow...

- , Manchester, GA, USA

Oct 012010

Mustang

Not able to fill up the gas tank without the pump shutting off. Problem started when the car had approx. 38,000 miles. I have been able to get around the problem by filling up when the car is cold - I don't get the pump shutoff problem.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Dec 092010

Mustang Pony V6

Gas pump shuts off half way full and gas starts shooting out. Now I have to butt my smoke out when filling up.

- , Surrey, BC, canada

May 012006

Mustang GT 5.6L

have had the car sence new thought I was crazy but finally took it to the dealer they changed the filler pipe that did'nt fix it so they changed the evap canester that did'nt fix it ether so they called in a factory rep that told us that amd I quote (it is what it is and cant be fixed we could try changeing the gas tank for about 1000>00 with labor it may or may not fix it sorry) now I think that if enough people complain to ford calling it a saftey hazzard ( when filling it spills fuel out onto the ground and the fumes could cause a fire) we may get a recall

- , Duxbury, MA, USA

Oct 302005

Mustang V6

Had a problem filling up the car from day one!!!! Took back to dealership for this problem they told me to change gas stations IDIOTS that they are, like this would make a differance. NO!!

- , matamoras, pa., USA

Jun 152008

Mustang V6

It's a pain to deal with because in the course of my job, I travel 500-1000 miles a week. For the last two days when I tried to fill up (3 different times) the pump cuts off and the tank is a long way from filled. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks

- , Middleton, TN, USA

Sep 232008

Mustang V6

I purchased the car for my Daughter. The tank fails to fill regularly - will only fill half full. The car has 18,000 miles. The dealership states there are no known problems. I'll find out tomorrow. I had a 2003 Mustang and never had a problem. This one rattles and has fuel problems. The car was driven by an elder couple prior to my purchase so abuse is the problem. Gas mileage is poor as well.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Sep 142005

Mustang V6

Nice car, but I wonder how long the American auto industry can last if they are too dumb to design what is basically a CAN! And dishonest enough to play dumb when you complain to the service department crooks.

No matter which American-made car you buy, you will always be reminded why they are #2 and sinking fast. I won't miss them. I hope all their bad karma comes back to haunt them.

- , Athens, AL, USA

May 292008

Mustang Pony

Ever since I first bought this car I am periodically unable to fill the tank.. ticks me off

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 202006

Mustang 4.0L V6

First off this first started happening almost right after i bought the car. It will randomly flare up when i go to get gas. It is not as frequent as it was previously but still annoying. I go to put gas in my car and it shuts off saying its full and i know that i do not have a 5 gallon tank. I have to find exactly the right speed to pump the gas and it will completely fill up. However it is quite irritating having everyone stare at you like you don't know how to pump gas. I have also had problems where the gauge is all over the place. Its having a good old time dancing from full to empty. I have taken it into ford about several diff problems this being one of them they have replaced the fuel pump and sensors for the tank. Still have problems with it randomly.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 252007

Mustang GT V8

Just dropped the 'stang off at the shop...again!!! Just got it back 1 1/2 weeks ago. The car will not hold a full tank of gas before the pump turns off,so I brought it to the dealer and they said it was the fuel tank that needed to be replaced (it's a common problem,I guess). Well, even after replacing the fuel tank-it has the same trouble...so now I don't know what they are going to do...have had nothing but trouble with this car. Not only the fuel tank but other problems as well. I love the look of the car but that is about all. I did not buy a Mustang GT to be driving a rental car while I wait for them to fix the !@#! thing....

- , Batson, Texas, USA

Jan 092007

Mustang GT Premium 4.6L V8

The car was still new I went to the track and my gas was at half tank, as soon as it went just under half tank it dropped to empty and starting dinging at me. I knew I still had gas but it wouldn't shut up so I went to the first gas station and filled it up it only took 7 gallons of gas so I knew it wasn't empty. This problem has happened several times so I took to the dealer and after them having it for 2 weeks they finally gave it back fixed. But to this day I still have fill up problems sometimes the gas won't allow me to completely fill the tank up. This is annoying and the stupidest thing ever, Especially when Ford is very aware of the problem and they don't know how to fix it.

- , Riverside, CA, USA