1999 Ford Ranger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford Ranger:

1999 Ford Ranger Owner Comments

Mar 132014

Ranger 4.0L

This was the third time that this has happened, the first time I was driving at 45mph and the 4 wheel drive jumped into 4 wheel low from 2 wheel drive while I was in the middle lane. I came to a screeching halt and could not move the vehicle. I did not know what the problem was so I have the truck towed to a garage and was later told that it was locked in 4 wheel drive. This cost me a rear end as the gears broke and that cost me $800.00 to have the rear end rebuilt. The next time it happened it tore up the transmission and I had to have it rebuilt so I took out the motor for the selection for the 4 wheel drive. I I discussed this problem with several ford dealers and the service shop writers and they all said that were were no reported problems, but I find this hard to believe. The latest incident happened and the right 4 wheel hub came apart and destroyed my wheel hub assembly and messed up the ends of the cv axle. I and my son-in-law replaced the entire front end March of 2014 and it had less than 6000 miles on it. I had blocked of the hoses to the hub assemblies as the motor had been removed so the 4 wheel drive would not work and had placed caps on the wheel hubs themselves. So after this latest episode I researched the internet and discovered that the design was flawed from the beginning, so I will be replacing them with manual hub assemblies and replacing the motor assemble on the transmission. Everyone likes the truck as I do and I will keep it till the end.

- , St Pauls, NC, USA