2001 Ford Taurus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Taurus:

2001 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 102010

Taurus 6-cyl

Front springs on my 2001 Ford Taurus station wagon have broken, within a few months of each other. I thought that the problem was not common, but when I did some research on the internet I discovered that a recall notice was supposed to have been sent out in 2004. I did not receive that recall, even thought the car was registered with Ford. Note - these were clean breaks and not a result of the gradual deterioration of metal due to rust (caused by winter salt). The problem has not caused a crash, but my research found that in many cases the faulty springs broke through the spring seat and rupture the front tire. This problem has been documented as - 2000 Ford Taurus recall id from NHTSA: 04V332000 auto recall date: 20040715. Although that defect applied to a model year 2000 Taurus, the problem occurs in other model years. This is a serious safety hazard, particularly if the spring ruptures a front tire when the car is being driven on a highway. The problem has also been reported on rear springs, which have also punctured the tires. As such it should be mandatory for Ford to issue a recall notice to all owners of Taurus automobiles. This has not been done and will not be done unless NHTSA demands it.

- Markham, 00, USA

Mar 262010

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SE. All four of the suspension coil springs are broken and one of the broken springs had an end which protrued and had rubbed a groove into the tire (inside rear) portion damaging the sidewall of my tire rendering the tire useless.

- Westland, MI, USA

Mar 212010

I have a problem with my 2001 Ford Taurus that I feel is a safety issue. My concern with my vehicle is that I discovered that it has three broken springs, one of which came very close to causing damage to my tire, I discovered this after I heard a loud noise from the front of the car. Upon investigating I discovered a broken front spring. Following this I discovered both rear springs were broken as well. I thought it was very odd to have three broken springs on the same car. Researching this problem on the web I found this to be a very common problem. I contacted a Ford dealer for service and was informed that Ford has extended the warranty period for the front springs but not the rear. I feel this is a safety issue and should require Ford to recall and fix this problem. Observing how close the spring was to making contact with the tire I feel there could have been severe consequences should the spring cause sudden tire failure. I believe that a springs sudden failure would have the potential to cause handling problems as well. Again, three spring failures? it would appear this may be a manufacturing problem such as a defective heat treating process or inferior steel used in the manufacturing of the springs.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Jul 152008

Three of the four springs on our 2001 Ford Taurus are broken at under 100 thousand miles. The car has never been abused. The broken spring can puncture tire at highway speeds.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Dec 312008

I bought my 2001 Ford Taurus used, in 2004 it has been a good car until 2008 when it started shaking in the front end. I took it to the mechanic and they told me it was a rack and pinion, so I had that replaced and paid through the nose. The car was still shaking, I took it back he said that I had to get it aligned because it was towed out and he did not have the equipment to do that. I replaced the now bald tired and had it aligned. Still shaking and now worse, I am now unemployed and can not afford to take the car to the shop and the warranty on the mechanic I took it to is up and he says it is my responsibility to pay for him to look at it further. When I had it aligned they did tell me that the rods and the struts were fine. So what exactly could this be? after 40 mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy and there is a whirling noise coming from the wheels. Please help.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Jun 082007

Rear coil spring breaks and hits tire.

- St.Charles, MO, USA

Jul 012008

I purchased a 2001 Taurus brand new in 2001. When I got my car inspected in 2008 the inspector informed me that there were 4 broken springs on my car! one on each wheel! it would not pass inspection. So far I have not been able to afford to repair the problem. The estimate to repair the problem is $1200!

- Byron, NY, USA

Apr 182009

My both front and both back spring coils broke in my car. No-one ever notified me about recall for my car models. I am lucky that didn't got into any accidents. My tires are less than 2 year old and are junk because of the springs damaging them. Now I will have to purchase another tires, and it will cost me a money I don't really prepared to spend right now. I found out about recall on springs coil on my car by overhearing someone talking about it. I am really disappointed about that. Do Ford really waiting for someone to get into accident to fix their problems?

- Rochester, NH, USA

Apr 102009

My son was driving my 2001 Ford Taurus. He pulled in to my driveway with smoke coming from under the hood and right side of car. My mechanic said the front spring broke which also broke the strut and shredded the boot. Its covered by the warranty. Now my concern is the rear springs. Why is there no recall for this! apparently Ford knows of these complaints and does nothing! please issue a recall!! before someone gets killed!

- Narrowsburg, NY, USA

Apr 062009

I had my car towed to my mechanic because my tire was shredded. Later I found out that the tire shredded due to the failure of the rear coil springs. My mechanic told me that the front was also in poor condition and should not drive the car much longer. I called Ford and they told me the front was under recall. I dropped he car off to stoneham Ford who told me that since they were not currently "fractured" they would not replace them. They would not tell me the current condition yet my mechanic states they are in very poor condition. Ford continued to say that since they are not fractured and no one has yet been hurt, they are not replacing them. No one has been killed yet.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Feb 022009

2001 Ford Taurus with suspension noise while driving. Ford mechanic diagnosed problem as front and rear springs broken on 2/2/2009. Parts have not yet been replaced.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 232009

2001 Ford Taurus, 112,000 miles. Driving about 35 mph on highway interchange, heard loud bang and car pulled left and I gained control and stopped. Found left front coil spring broke puncturing left tire. Took car to dealership for repair. Ford will cover cost of front springs replacement. Dealership called and said right spring was broken also and transmission pan was also punctured from broken spring and needed replaced. Ford will not cover cost to pay for punctured tire or transmission pan plus fluid. Tire had around 300 mile on it. Ford garage called back and said rear springs were also broken and not covered under recall from Ford. Shouldn't rear springs be covered also since breakage was result of corrosion problem like the front springs" also, shouldn't the collateral damage to the tire and transmission be covered also" never received any form of notification relating to this recall. But I had receive other recall for wiring problems.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Dec 152008

2001 Ford Taurus with 69,000 miles has a broken rear coil spring. There is a problem with the front coils which Ford will fix no charge under 04M04 customer satisfaction guarantee but it does not cover the rear springs. In the event of the back spring working it's way to the tire there has been rear tire blowouts with extensive damage to the vehicle itself and a danger to the driver and passengers. At this time my mother was informed that this was being looked into as a mandatory recall. I feel since they have had problems with the front and have acknowledged the defect that there is also a problem with the rear springs of those same years. Parts required to correct problem are new coils both sides. We took it to the dealership and the service manager said he thinks there should be a mandatory recall but he did not have the authority to make that decision and referred me to you. The cost to my mother which is on a fixed budget is $600 and she cannot afford it. The service manger advised her to get it fixed before it caused numerous problems which would not be covered even though the damage occurred from the broken coil spring. At this time there has not been any dangerous occurrences but there are a possibility of them happening at any time. Please look closer at this dangerous situation and make it mandatory to have Ford Motor Company fix this problem. Thank you brad farrow

- Washington, IL, USA

Oct 132008

Front & rear springs failed on 2001 Ford Taurus & were replaced. Front springs also destroyed struts & were covered under a manufacturer warranty. Rear springs also destroyed shocks but were not covered under warranty. Ford dealer indicated that this failure was "common" on this model year.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Oct 272008

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the rear coil springs failed and the front coil springs are weak. The dealer stated that they would not repair the front coil springs according to NHTSA campaign id number 04V332000 (suspension:front:springs:coil springs) until they have completely failed. They further stated that they would not assume financial responsibility for the rear coil springs because there was no recall for that component. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 106,000.

- Shadyside, OH, USA

Jul 072008

I had 3 broken coil springs on my car at one time. I learned there was a recall on the front coil springs, but not on the back. I have also learned that the cause of the fault on the coil springs was salt on the road, which is what caused my front and rear coil springs to break. I believe there should be a recall on the rear coil springs, as well as the front. I called Ford's complaint department, and they said this would not be changed. Then, I had broken shock absorbers, which my Ford garage told me was a result of the coil springs. So not only did I have to pay for the rear coil springs, but I also have to pay to repair the shock absorbers! the garage manager said he has had numerous cases like this -- in fact, he had two in the shop in the same week.

- California, MO, USA

Jun 152008

Daughter was driving car and heard funny rattling noise in front end when going over bumps. I checked out the front end and found the front driver's side coil spring was broken. While getting that fixed the driver's side rear coil spring was found to be broken also!

- Holt, MI, USA

Dec 242007

Taurus 6-cyl

Failure/fracture of front suspension coil springs and related tire damage. My car was repaired as far as the front suspension is concerned under warranty only for springs. My concern is future spring failure on rear suspension which is known to have similar failures with no safety recall in effect at this time. Despite the NHTSA tests on similar vehicle defect, I am not convinced that the potential for a loss of vehicle control incident is unlikely. I wonder if one of the NHTSA persons responsible for the test information would let me trade vehicles with them. Would they be willing to drive this car for extended use on crowded interstate highways in all weather conditions like so many of us do" the parts in question fail because of corrosion. In most cases the spring breaks at the lower first coil, Ford has installed a shield to prevent related tire damage per NHTSA campaign id number: 04V332000 here is my point as plainly as I can put it. These springs will corrode at any location due to stone chips or other surface imperfections. As a result these springs have the potential to break at any location rendering the shield at the lower coil useless. The result could be a loss of vehicle control regardless of which, front or rear, position. Should not Ford Motor Company be mandated to at least inspect these parts for corrosion in other than the common point of failure, and if necessary replace them? Ford has introduced replacement springs with improved corrosion resistant coatings, but in the case of the rear suspension springs on the same vehicles known to have similar failures, there is no current consumer protection mandated. Please tell me that you are going to correct this issue. Isn't it obvious that at best this problem is only half corrected! since when is that good enough" thanks for all your successes in the matter of motor vehicle safety! I hope this issue will soon be added to the list. Bob zamost

- Neenah, WI, USA

Aug 292007

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. When the contact took her vehicle to the dealer to have the tires rotated and balanced, she was informed that the front and rear coil springs were broken. The dealer replaced the front coil springs at no charge, but would not replace the rear coil springs. The cost to repair the rear coil springs is $185.64 plus the $59.99 alignment. The purchase date was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 79,900. The consumer stated feels Ford should reimburse all consumers for rear coils springs and alignment. Updated 09/18/07

- Selinsgrove, PA, USA

Jun 212007

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. While driving 35 mph, the passenger side front tire flattened. The contact pulled over and changed the tire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed the cause of failure as a failed spring. The dealer also noticed that the rear spring had failed. The current and failure mileages were 106,000.

- East Tawas, MI, USA