2.6

2001 Ford Taurus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Taurus:

2001 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 022009

Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus with suspension noise while driving. Ford mechanic diagnosed problem as front and rear springs broken on 2/2/2009. Parts have not yet been replaced.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 232009

Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus, 112,000 miles. Driving about 35 mph on highway interchange, heard loud bang and car pulled left and I gained control and stopped. Found left front coil spring broke puncturing left tire. Took car to dealership for repair. Ford will cover cost of front springs replacement. Dealership called and said right spring was broken also and transmission pan was also punctured from broken spring and needed replaced. Ford will not cover cost to pay for punctured tire or transmission pan plus fluid. Tire had around 300 mile on it. Ford garage called back and said rear springs were also broken and not covered under recall from Ford. Shouldn't rear springs be covered also since breakage was result of corrosion problem like the front springs" also, shouldn't the collateral damage to the tire and transmission be covered also" never received any form of notification relating to this recall. But I had receive other recall for wiring problems.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Dec 152008

Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus with 69,000 miles has a broken rear coil spring. There is a problem with the front coils which Ford will fix no charge under 04M04 customer satisfaction guarantee but it does not cover the rear springs. In the event of the back spring working it's way to the tire there has been rear tire blowouts with extensive damage to the vehicle itself and a danger to the driver and passengers. At this time my mother was informed that this was being looked into as a mandatory recall. I feel since they have had problems with the front and have acknowledged the defect that there is also a problem with the rear springs of those same years. Parts required to correct problem are new coils both sides. We took it to the dealership and the service manager said he thinks there should be a mandatory recall but he did not have the authority to make that decision and referred me to you. The cost to my mother which is on a fixed budget is $600 and she cannot afford it. The service manger advised her to get it fixed before it caused numerous problems which would not be covered even though the damage occurred from the broken coil spring. At this time there has not been any dangerous occurrences but there are a possibility of them happening at any time. Please look closer at this dangerous situation and make it mandatory to have Ford Motor Company fix this problem. Thank you brad farrow

- Washington, IL, USA

Oct 132008

Taurus

Front & rear springs failed on 2001 Ford Taurus & were replaced. Front springs also destroyed struts & were covered under a manufacturer warranty. Rear springs also destroyed shocks but were not covered under warranty. Ford dealer indicated that this failure was "common" on this model year.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Oct 272008

Taurus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the rear coil springs failed and the front coil springs are weak. The dealer stated that they would not repair the front coil springs according to NHTSA campaign id number 04V332000 (suspension:front:springs:coil springs) until they have completely failed. They further stated that they would not assume financial responsibility for the rear coil springs because there was no recall for that component. The manufacturer did not assist. The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 106,000.

- Shadyside, OH, USA

Jul 072008

Taurus

I had 3 broken coil springs on my car at one time. I learned there was a recall on the front coil springs, but not on the back. I have also learned that the cause of the fault on the coil springs was salt on the road, which is what caused my front and rear coil springs to break. I believe there should be a recall on the rear coil springs, as well as the front. I called Ford's complaint department, and they said this would not be changed. Then, I had broken shock absorbers, which my Ford garage told me was a result of the coil springs. So not only did I have to pay for the rear coil springs, but I also have to pay to repair the shock absorbers! the garage manager said he has had numerous cases like this -- in fact, he had two in the shop in the same week.

- California, MO, USA

Jun 152008

Taurus

Daughter was driving car and heard funny rattling noise in front end when going over bumps. I checked out the front end and found the front driver's side coil spring was broken. While getting that fixed the driver's side rear coil spring was found to be broken also!

- Holt, MI, USA

Dec 242007

Taurus 6-cyl

Failure/fracture of front suspension coil springs and related tire damage. My car was repaired as far as the front suspension is concerned under warranty only for springs. My concern is future spring failure on rear suspension which is known to have similar failures with no safety recall in effect at this time. Despite the NHTSA tests on similar vehicle defect, I am not convinced that the potential for a loss of vehicle control incident is unlikely. I wonder if one of the NHTSA persons responsible for the test information would let me trade vehicles with them. Would they be willing to drive this car for extended use on crowded interstate highways in all weather conditions like so many of us do" the parts in question fail because of corrosion. In most cases the spring breaks at the lower first coil, Ford has installed a shield to prevent related tire damage per NHTSA campaign id number: 04V332000 here is my point as plainly as I can put it. These springs will corrode at any location due to stone chips or other surface imperfections. As a result these springs have the potential to break at any location rendering the shield at the lower coil useless. The result could be a loss of vehicle control regardless of which, front or rear, position. Should not Ford Motor Company be mandated to at least inspect these parts for corrosion in other than the common point of failure, and if necessary replace them? Ford has introduced replacement springs with improved corrosion resistant coatings, but in the case of the rear suspension springs on the same vehicles known to have similar failures, there is no current consumer protection mandated. Please tell me that you are going to correct this issue. Isn't it obvious that at best this problem is only half corrected! since when is that good enough" thanks for all your successes in the matter of motor vehicle safety! I hope this issue will soon be added to the list. Bob zamost

- Neenah, WI, USA

Aug 292007

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. When the contact took her vehicle to the dealer to have the tires rotated and balanced, she was informed that the front and rear coil springs were broken. The dealer replaced the front coil springs at no charge, but would not replace the rear coil springs. The cost to repair the rear coil springs is $185.64 plus the $59.99 alignment. The purchase date was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 79,900. The consumer stated feels Ford should reimburse all consumers for rear coils springs and alignment. Updated 09/18/07

- Selinsgrove, PA, USA

Jun 212007

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. While driving 35 mph, the passenger side front tire flattened. The contact pulled over and changed the tire. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed the cause of failure as a failed spring. The dealer also noticed that the rear spring had failed. The current and failure mileages were 106,000.

- East Tawas, MI, USA

Jul 102006

Taurus

I own a 2001 Ford Taurus the front spring were defective and recall now the rear spring are defective and Ford isn't having a recall --will anything be done to recall the rear spring?

- Olyphant, PA, USA

Jul 042004

Taurus 6-cyl

The caller received recall on the front springs, but he was having a problem with the rear springs. The caller said the rear spring failed, and it put a groove in the passenger rear tire. The caller found it before the tire blew out. The caller replaced both rear springs at his own expense with another brand. Dealer said they would not replace the rear springs for free. Manufacturer has not responded to the caller on the rear springs. The sway bar bushings were replaced three times, the rear bushings were replaced twice. Updated 01/19/06.

- Reelsville, IN, USA

Dec 072001

Taurus 6-cyl

I bought a new Ford Taurus in 2001. Three months after my purchase, a vibration began in the front end. I took the car in and had repairs. To my dismay, the car began to vibrate again in January 2002. I took my car in for repairs again. April 2002 the same problem occurred again, so more repairs. This continued until I gave the car back (July 2004) due to these problems and many others. The dealership, silsbee Ford, seemed to only fix the problem temporarily, resulting in me returning the vehicle again and again. I believe there was an underlying problem that was overlooked and I assumed taking the car to a dealership the problem would have been found and properly fixed. By Mar 2003 appr. 21,000 miles one cv shaft and axle seal replaced, rod asy replaced at 38,000 miles, and by Jan 2004 the other cv axle was replaced. This car has had three sets of tires before 60,000 miles, new rotors at appr. 38,000 miles. The rotors have been turned a number of times before replacing. Consumers need to be informed of makeshift repairs done at dealerships. I turned in my car to the company because it was getting too dangerous to drive and obviously the dealership wasn't competent enough to find the underlying problem. I have tried many different avenues trying to resolve this situation and the Ford company keeps stating the warranty is out. I know this but the problem is, my vehicle should have been repaired properly the first time or at least the second time it was in the shop for repairs, while under warranty. I believe my family was endangered because of the negligence of this company.

- Buna, TX, USA

Jun 152003

Taurus

We noticed the lower half of the car is covered with small rust spots 44000 miles. We do not have an estimate on fixing this problem. At 39000 miles we began experiencing a rattle under the right front passenger floor board. This has been inspected and nothing has been found so far, however the rattle continues to grow worse. Just under 30000 miles the front brakes required replacment. New rotors and brake pads were installed, however within a weeks time the car was back in for more brake work. The pads were replaced by the shop, but the sqeaking has returned again.( we did not have the brakes repaired at the Ford dealership, because we were told that this was not covered under warranty.) the fuel gauge reads erracticly between full and 1/4. I have made no attempt to have this fixed yet. The engine has developed a hard starting problem within the last few weeks. It will crank and not start. Then after a couple of attempts, it will start but idle rough.

- Shelbyville, KY, USA

Mar 012004

Taurus 6-cyl

The anti-sway bars on my Ford Taurus ses have come loose on three separate occasions. The bars came loose at 10,000 miles, 16,000 miles, and most recently at 50,000 miles. Since the latest repair (at 50,000 miles) is now allegedly out of warranty the dealer want $140 to fix the problem again. And there is no guarantee that this problem will not continue to resurface. I argued with the dealer and the manufacturer (Ford customer relations) that this is an ongoing problem and a defect, not a new problem. The bars should not be coming loose on their own. It is important to note that on the second repair attempt (at 16,000 miles) the dealer installed a special kit that they received from Ford to fix this problem. This is evidence that the manufacturer and the dealer are aware of a generalized problem and that sway bars are coming loose on this car model (2001 Taurus ses) and perhaps on many others that share the same sway bar design. NHTSA should investigate the safety issue involved in loose sway bars on the Ford Taurus. NHTSA should also investigate the attempt by Ford and the Ford dealers to make customers pay for repairs that never resolve the problem. If Ford and the dealers are allowed to claim that this repair is out of warranty then all they have to do is sit and wait until the warranties expire and all defects become a customer-paid repair.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Dec 022003

Taurus 6-cyl

When applying the brakes the front end shook violently. The dealer rotated and balanced all four tires. The dealer also replaced the front rotors and pads and adjusted the rear brakes.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Aug 152003

Taurus 6-cyl

Problems with 2001 Ford Taurus brake rotors. The front end vibrated and the brake rotors were replaced numerous times, however the problem still existed. Ford was ordered to repair all repairs but they only turned the rotors. Also the passenger window dragged, the lights dimmed when the radio or heater was on, and also the transmission jerked at times and there was a vibration in the front of the vehicle, the mechanic stated it was due to tire wear.

- Lost Creek, WV, USA

May 212001

Taurus

The vehicle severely pulled to the left while driving. The dealership was unable to locate the cause of the problem.

- Saco, ME, USA

Apr 252002

Taurus

While driving off a lot steering wheel statrted making a whining noise. Dealer replaced rack and pinion twice, but problem still exists.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Dec 262000

Taurus

Vehicle exhibits grinding noise on right side when turning corners, back end moves when cornering, rear suspension seems to be loose when cornering, vehicle pulls to the right and left while driving, shocks seem to have a rough ride.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA