1.9

2001 Ford Taurus suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Taurus:

2001 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 152014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. The contact was driving 25 mph and heard a loud bang. The contact began to smell a burning rubber odor and merged off the roadway to inspect the vehicle. The contact found that the rear driver's side coil spring was fractured. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for inspection but no diagnosis for the failure was determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000. Updated 03/05/14

- Bayville, NJ, USA

May 162013

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving my 2001 Ford Taurus ses today at city speeds (30 mph) I heard a very loud metallic clanking sound. I drove straight home and we put the car on the lift to inspect. We found the front left coil spring was broken from what appears to be rust/corrosion. We live in Illinois & called Ford to see about the recall (04V332-4235) and how to go about repairing this. The agent checked our VIN and told us that our car did not qualify for this recall despite having been produced in the Chicago manufacturing plant, which is one of the plants involved in the recall. Our tire was very close to being shredded by the broken spring and could have caused a very serious accident. I believe our car should be a part of this recall and stated to the Ford agent that I was dissatisfied by the apparent runaround I was receiving. I requested a formal complaint to be made, and he stated he would place my complaint in their database. If he actually did, I have no idea. All cars produced in the time frame at the Chicago plant should be included in this recall. I will not buy another Ford product again due to this issue.

- Pittsfield, IL, USA

May 022013

Taurus 6-cyl

During multipoint inspection dealer found rear springs broken total cost of repair $572.58. Your data base shows this has been a defective part issue and no recall. Local dealer not aware of rear spring issue.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 312012

Taurus 6-cyl

The front, left coil spring broke leaving a jagged edge that shredded the tires sidewall when the car was put in reverse. I do not know exactly when the spring broke, but I was driving on the freeway prior to parking the vehicle. Had this happened on the freeway, the results could have been disastrous. The tire that was shredded was a near new studded snow tire. The total cost to repair the suspension and replace the tire will be about 400 - 500 dollars.

- Pocatello, ID, USA

May 312012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the driver was driving 45 mph when the front driver's coil spring fractured. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop and the coil spring was repaired. An authorized dealer was then notified and stated that the vehicle was no longer covered under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 04V332000 (suspension:front:springs:coil springs). The manufacturer offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 105,000...updated 09-19-12 updated 09/20/2012

- 3 Glenmore Circle, NY, USA

Apr 232012

Taurus 6-cyl

Front passenger coil spring fractured. This was an item that was covered by recall 04M04. The fix was to install a cheap plate to prevent the coil spring from puncturing the tire when it cracks. The recall included a prevision to replace a broken spring if the vehicle was in service less than 10 years or less than 150,000. I am disappointed that the corrective action was not to fix the coil spring itself before it would break.

- Solon Springs , WI, USA

Apr 082012

Taurus

We were pulling into a parking lot when we heard a loud "klunk". from that point on we always heard during left turns. The next day, I had my mechanic look at the car and the rear springs had broken. He said that it was good to get it in. $600 bill. This needs to be a recall! people have died.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Mar 262012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited an abnormally loud noise while reversing. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the driver and passenger side front coil springs were fractured. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer advised the contact that there was a prior manufacturer's recall for the coil springs but the recall has since expired. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 500,000.

- Hubertus , WI, USA

Jun 042010

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving on a city road my 2001 Ford Taurus had a blowout on the lr tire. The coil spring was broken in several places which caused part of the spring to gouge the inside wall of the rear tire. Had to replace both rear coil/shock assembly in the vehicle.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Jan 222012

Taurus 6-cyl

Heard clunk from rear of vehicle entering a parking lot. Inspection later that evening revealed rear spring break.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Oct 202011

Taurus 6-cyl

My frame is totally rotten!!! the a arm isn't even attracted to the frame.

- W Charleston, VT, USA

Jul 132011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the front coil springs were fractured due to corrosion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that there were no recalls for the failure and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was contacted and confirmed that there were no recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,164.

- Allenstown, NH, USA

Mar 102010

Taurus 6-cyl

Front springs on my 2001 Ford Taurus station wagon have broken, within a few months of each other. I thought that the problem was not common, but when I did some research on the internet I discovered that a recall notice was supposed to have been sent out in 2004. I did not receive that recall, even thought the car was registered with Ford. Note - these were clean breaks and not a result of the gradual deterioration of metal due to rust (caused by winter salt). The problem has not caused a crash, but my research found that in many cases the faulty springs broke through the spring seat and rupture the front tire. This problem has been documented as - 2000 Ford Taurus recall id from NHTSA: 04V332000 auto recall date: 20040715. Although that defect applied to a model year 2000 Taurus, the problem occurs in other model years. This is a serious safety hazard, particularly if the spring ruptures a front tire when the car is being driven on a highway. The problem has also been reported on rear springs, which have also punctured the tires. As such it should be mandatory for Ford to issue a recall notice to all owners of Taurus automobiles. This has not been done and will not be done unless NHTSA demands it.

- Markham, 00, USA

Mar 262010

Taurus

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SE. All four of the suspension coil springs are broken and one of the broken springs had an end which protrued and had rubbed a groove into the tire (inside rear) portion damaging the sidewall of my tire rendering the tire useless.

- Westland, MI, USA

Mar 212010

Taurus

I have a problem with my 2001 Ford Taurus that I feel is a safety issue. My concern with my vehicle is that I discovered that it has three broken springs, one of which came very close to causing damage to my tire, I discovered this after I heard a loud noise from the front of the car. Upon investigating I discovered a broken front spring. Following this I discovered both rear springs were broken as well. I thought it was very odd to have three broken springs on the same car. Researching this problem on the web I found this to be a very common problem. I contacted a Ford dealer for service and was informed that Ford has extended the warranty period for the front springs but not the rear. I feel this is a safety issue and should require Ford to recall and fix this problem. Observing how close the spring was to making contact with the tire I feel there could have been severe consequences should the spring cause sudden tire failure. I believe that a springs sudden failure would have the potential to cause handling problems as well. Again, three spring failures? it would appear this may be a manufacturing problem such as a defective heat treating process or inferior steel used in the manufacturing of the springs.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Jul 152008

Taurus

Three of the four springs on our 2001 Ford Taurus are broken at under 100 thousand miles. The car has never been abused. The broken spring can puncture tire at highway speeds.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Dec 312008

Taurus

I bought my 2001 Ford Taurus used, in 2004 it has been a good car until 2008 when it started shaking in the front end. I took it to the mechanic and they told me it was a rack and pinion, so I had that replaced and paid through the nose. The car was still shaking, I took it back he said that I had to get it aligned because it was towed out and he did not have the equipment to do that. I replaced the now bald tired and had it aligned. Still shaking and now worse, I am now unemployed and can not afford to take the car to the shop and the warranty on the mechanic I took it to is up and he says it is my responsibility to pay for him to look at it further. When I had it aligned they did tell me that the rods and the struts were fine. So what exactly could this be? after 40 mph the steering wheel shakes like crazy and there is a whirling noise coming from the wheels. Please help.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Jun 082007

Taurus

Rear coil spring breaks and hits tire.

- St.Charles, MO, USA

Jul 012008

Taurus

I purchased a 2001 Taurus brand new in 2001. When I got my car inspected in 2008 the inspector informed me that there were 4 broken springs on my car! one on each wheel! it would not pass inspection. So far I have not been able to afford to repair the problem. The estimate to repair the problem is $1200!

- Byron, NY, USA

Apr 182009

Taurus

My both front and both back spring coils broke in my car. No-one ever notified me about recall for my car models. I am lucky that didn't got into any accidents. My tires are less than 2 year old and are junk because of the springs damaging them. Now I will have to purchase another tires, and it will cost me a money I don't really prepared to spend right now. I found out about recall on springs coil on my car by overhearing someone talking about it. I am really disappointed about that. Do Ford really waiting for someone to get into accident to fix their problems?

- Rochester, NH, USA