9.3

$1,856.00

2. don't buy a Ford (9 reports)
  3. replace with a rebuilt transmission (6 reports)
  4. replaced it at own expense (4 reports)
  5. no money to fix (2 reports)
  6. rebuilt transmission (2 reports)
2001 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Taurus:

2001 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 182009

Taurus SES V6

I was driving down Interstate 5 in California going south towards Los Angeles At 9:30pm at night when my transmission warning light went on at a very dangerous section of the freeway. I immediately got off the shoulder but kept my engine running only to discover that my transmission completely failed. I had to be towed 161 miles to Los Angeles by my emergency road service. I service my car every 3 months so was very angry that this happened. The cost to rebuild the transmission is $1500.00. The tow would have cost $283.00. My car is still sitting in front of my house after a week as I am so angry, I wrote Ford and am waiting to hear back. Anyone interested in filing a class action suit against Ford? This should not happen. The towing service person informed me that if I had continued approaching the incline towards the Grapevine on I-5, my car would have slipped gear and started to roll back and I could have been killed as everyone drive on all lanes at 70+ miles per hour. I am wondering if these transmissions were built to fail after so many miles?

- , Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Apr 042008

Taurus SES 3.2L

I was driving down the road and the light was turning yellow and so I gassed it to get through the light when all of a sudden I heard a strange noise, smelled something burning, and my engine was revving up but not accelerating. I then had to coast it to the side of the road. It was towed to local car dealership where I was told the transmission is shot and it would cost me $3100.00. I then took it to an auto mechanic who was a friend of the family and they said that the transmission burner went and that's why I smelt the burning. They replaced this part, took apart the rest of the tranny, but could not find what had caused the problem to happen. The car still runs but doesn't sound good and vibrates. I will never buy a Ford again!!!

- , Belmont, MI, USA

Nov 022008

Taurus

i have to have my tranny dropped and new a new one put in, driving down the road it was like I had put my car in neutral.

- , Marengo, IA, USA

Aug 012008

Taurus LE V6

This is the first American-made car I've had in my life. I have been a loyal Toyota owner, because they've been pretty loyal back. But, after moving to Florida, I decided 'why not buy a USA-made vehicle?' since that seemed to be what the majority of people here drive. BIG mistake. HUGE.

Transmission is slipping, I think. I've worked on cars before, but all Japanese models (Nissan, Toyota, etc.), so I know a bit about cars, though no expert.

After driving about 50-60 miles, no A/C, I-4 driving, I get off at my exit and end up at the first stop light... and then try to accelerate (slowly, never punch the pedal to the metal), and the needle flips to "2" (2k rpm), and I couldn't go anywhere, with a line of vehicles behind me. So I let off the gas as soon as this happens, and eventually, it dropped below 2, and jerked into first gear. This problem has been getting worse.

The mechanic that I know and trust has advised me to take my chances, keep driving it, and be on the look out for another vehicle. When asked about how long from the start of the problem I have before it dies completely, he said no one can tell; it's like trying to predict an aneurysm or heart attack. More like a stroke.

My two cents is that this has been the most frustrating problem I've ever dealt with (even an overheating car, which seemed bad at the time, seems like it's not that bad; at least it's predictable and somewhat tangible). I dislike this car, and all the other problems it has (aside from the transmission issue). Unbelievable.

When considering buying a Ford Taurus, think about what it'd be like to be on your way to wherever, and suddenly find yourself stuck in hot, rush-hour traffic, with a line of cars behind you, unable to do anything about the situation, except lift your foot off the gas and wait for it to jerk you into first. If even that. Though I'm sorry about everyone's luck with these pieces of junk, it's comforting to know that this isn't an anomaly. Which also makes me dislike Ford even more... and the cycle continues...

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Jul 152008

Taurus SES 3,0L V6

I bought my 2001 Ford Taurus exactly two years ago to this day with a 2-year 40,000 km extended warranty. A couple of days ago, my transmission failed and I had it towed to the dealer. The dealer told me it would be covered as long as the part(s) that needed to be fixed were covered under the warranty, but first I had to authorize the teardown of the transmission - so I did. After the teardown, Ford realized that although I was within the 2 years of the warranty I was also 5,000 over in kilometers (of course!!!) and that I was now responsible for all repairs - including the teardown. I tried to see if I could get any help with paying for the repair by calling the extended service plan department and the customer relations center, but was told that they cannot help in any way. I am now told by the dealer that I need a torque converter, spring, gaskets, etc. and if I want them to fix the problem, it would cost $3,000. I still owe on the car for 3 more years and have to try to find a way to get this fixed at minimal cost. I am very disappointed with the car and the company - this was the first Ford I have owned and most likely will be the last.

- , Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Apr 012002

Taurus ES 3.0L

Ford motor company, the dealership planet ford in Houston Texas and ford dealership in St.Croix in the US Virgin Island did not honor the warranty and gave me the run around to repair the transmission.

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Jan 222008

Taurus LX 3.0L V6

I know that Taurus sucks on their undersized front brakes which seize and warp since they have bimetallic discs. The transmissions make a 3 gear automatic shift noise on start up that messes up things before the warranty usually, I just go over the warranty and it's still running due to someone who was gentler than I. I am counting down minutes to a new transmission. Anyone know of any holes to counter a nearly new car from being lost?

- , Antioch, CA, USA

Nov 022007

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

I just spend $1200 to fix AC compressor and $440 to fix alternator a month ago, now transmission make strange noise. I am wondering if just me have bad luck, or Ford just make car for 12000 miles life span?

- , Vienna, VA, USA

Oct 042007

Taurus SES V6

The warning light would flash after I had gone so many miles. Finally, the transmission just decided to stop one day. After 145,000 miles I had to get a rebuilt transmission. My sister who also owned a Taurus said that she was told she needed a new transmission too.

I also had a lot of brake problems, which the mechanic said was known for the Taurus.

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 062007

Taurus SES 3.2L V6

No warning this was going to happen. Just had this car serviced and transmission completely failed (no pull at all) on a very busy by-pass. With only 80,000 miles, Ford should look into what is going on here.

- , Versailles, KY, USA

Feb 222007

Taurus SE V6

There was no warning it just went out at a stop light in the middle of traffic. It wouldn't go in reverse at all and it would sort of drive in neutral but only for a few minutes enough to get to the side of the road. Then it was toast!

- , Dacono, CO, USA

Dec 042006

Taurus SE 3.0L OHV V6

I had already just spent $1700 fixing the A/C Compressor, A/C clutch, relay, vacuum hose, and serpentine belt. Now, not even a month later, my tranny starts shifting a little rough. When I took it in to get it flushed, I found out that the gears were grinding down. They found little bits of metal in the tranny fluid, on the magnet inside pan. Apparently, this normally doesn't happen on Taurus until around 90,000 miles. I service my car on a regular basis. This should not be happening!

- , Denton, TX, USA

Oct 272006

Taurus SES

There was zero warning in the transmission going- just stopped working at a busy stop light and blocked rush hour traffic. The fluid is brand new and maintance has always been done on time. Only 75,000 miles on the car- this should not happen!

- , Iowa City, IA, USA

Jul 252006

Taurus LE

The car would not run in reverse.

- , Lincoln, CA, USA

Jun 302006

Taurus SE

Driving my 2001 Taurus from Florida to Pennsylvania my transmisison went out at 190,000 in Richmond, VA. spent a week there and had it fixed for $1400.00. Im up 200,000 now and it just went out. I have a 75,000 mile warrentee on the transmission but am getting the run around by Southern Transmission.

- , Tamaqua, PA, USA