Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Most people need a car where the coil springs don't puncture or shred tires while driving. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 1999-2003 Ford Taurus has a huge problem with coil springs breaking, which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

2. fix short in the anti-theft device (1 reports)
2002 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Taurus:

2002 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

Sep 082014

I inherited this car from my mother-in-law. When the vehicle gets warm and you shut it off - it won't start up again. It turns over - but never enough to go. Basically the solution has been to let it cool and this can vary from 1 hour to 4 or 5 hours. I have been stranded numerous time. I've taken the vehicle to various shops only to be told - they aren't sure what it is - but they always recommend that I replace something and the price varies from $250 to $700. I've had it. I don't want to drive the thing - because it is not reliable and the problem is intermittent. I would appreciate any direction on how to solve this irritating problem. Thanks

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Jun 192007

Taurus 3.0L

This from a short in the anti-theft system. Either unhook your anti-theft device or do what I did. Lock and unlock your door manually from the button inside the door repeatedly for about one minute. Every time I do this, the car starts. It doesn't happen all the time, very sporadically really. Every two or three months and always after I've driven the car a short distance and tried to restart it. One day I was blocking my brother in his driveway and started my car to let him out. I shut off the car and five minutes later when I went to start the car to leave it would not start. The cars anti-theft system keeps the car from starting because it thinks the car is being stolen. Other tricks that help start a vehicle in this condition include using your key to open either of the front doors or opening the trunk with your key. Hope this helps. I tried everything before I discovered this, including replacing my fuel pump-------$411 OUCH!

- , Newark, OH, USA

Apr 012008

Taurus 24 valve V6

When the car is warm (only) it can fail to start, but it's very intermittent. Only happens after it's been run for a while, never on cold start. New plugs and wires. After this happens and I crank I can sometimes start it but it will stall if I don't keep giving it lots of gas, like there's a bad sensor - but there's no code (it's been checked) and no check engine light. After about 5 minutes of running 'past this' the problem seems to be gone.

- , Worcester, MA, USA