CarComplaints.com Notes: Most people need a car where the coil springs don't puncture or shred tires while driving. The Taurus fails in that respect.

The 1999-2003 Ford Taurus has a huge problem with coil springs breaking, which can puncture or even shred tires while driving.

The US government spent THREE YEARS (2008-2011) investigating the 2002-2003 Taurus coil springs. Although Taurus/Sable from earlier years were recalled, ultimately the NHTSA did not force a recall. They determined that because there had been no deaths & very few bad crashes & injuries, the broken coil springs defect was no big deal & not a safety defect. Tell that to all the owners who had close calls...

9.3

$1,680.00

1. replaced transmission (9 reports)
  3. replaced spline in torque converter (1 reports)
2002 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Taurus:

2002 Ford Taurus Owner Comments

May 312013

Taurus LX 3.0L

I have a 2002 Taurus, was driving home and without any warning trans just stopped working. Park works but all others are like neutral. And last year the a/c compressor went out. This must be a common problem, from all I have read. Is Ford ever going to step up and take care of this known problem with trans. and the a/c compressor?

- , Waynesville, OH, USA

Aug 122012

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

Spline in torque converter failed just around 130k miles. The transmission guy who replaced it said this is a common problem between 130k - 140k miles on the Taurus model years 2002-2006.

- , Clayton, NC, USA

Apr 022012

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

My mom had the car since 06.

transmission was replaced twice, this being the 3rd.

ford needs to recall asap! It's not right.

ford is better off selling bow ties...hmmmm! thinks of chevy camaro

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 092012

Taurus

Had car for 38 days, warranty expired after 30 days.

POS - had 84k miles, put car in reverse and tx exploded, pieces on ground, All Fluids drained - nightmare!!!!

- , Woolwich Twp, New Jersey, USA

Jul 122012

Taurus SE 3.2L V6

car was working very good no problems at all except this one. parked the car, came back and from parking to drive or reverse does not do anything doesn't feel that it is shifting. I could move from parking to reverse or drive but does not engage.

- , Guayanilla, PR, USA

May 292012

Taurus SE 3.0L

I bought my car from a private dealer in the beginning of March. I had previously owned a 2001 Buick Regal Olympic Edition. Driving a Taurus after that, I realized how much I love Buick and hate Ford. The pickup would hesitate every time I got on the Freeway, i felt a lot of thumping when i tried to pickup from 0 and up, and it sometimes felt like my car was trying to decelerate when i was going 60 or more. I discovered all of these problems after I purchased the vehicle. After about 2 months of driving it (replaced the idle pulley, coolant container, belt and engine coil pack in this time period) , I just got off the Expressway on my way home and as i tried to pass a car I accelerated and all i heard was the engine revving and the car rolling. I put the car the in neutral and pulled over to the side of the road PISSED! My car is still standing still because I'm trying to decide is it worth fixing?? I've owned nothing but Buicks and NEVER encountered this problem nor the headache of replacing one thing after another. NO WARNING LIGHTS?? I HATE FORD! I will NEVER buy another FORD AGAIN! They seriously need to RECALL this vehicle. I will do all I have to do to make sure of that and YOU should too

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 092012

Taurus SE 3.0L

Driving on the Highway for 15 mins....Suddenly Getting a Gear symbol with "!" flashing...transmission problem. Try to get off the highway when car seems to lose power...Can'not get car to hit 50mph even at full throttle.

The car suddenly stalls and burnt transmission smell reached inside. Got it towed to Aamco and they said it needed a total rebuild of the transmission....They said it'll cost araound $2000 (costing more than what the car is worth)...Best just to have it scrapped and take my lost.

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Taurus LX

GOING TO WORK AT 7:15 AM, WHEN MY TRANSMISSION STOP PULLING, LIKE IF IT DROP OUT OF GEAR BUT THE MOTOR WAS STILL RUNNING. I COASTED TO THE SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY AND CALLED A FRIEND TO PICK ME UP. NO INDICATIONS THAT THE TRANSMISSION WAS GOING OUT.

I AM REALLY ANGRY WITH FORD, NOT BACKING UP THEIR PRODUCTS. SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION. THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THE TRANSMISSION IN THE FORD TAURUS.

FORD, YOU KNOW THAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO "RECALL" !!!!! I PURCHASE THE CAR USED 2008 AT 52000 MILES. WHAT HAVE I DONE, STILL PAYING ON THE CAR, LIVING FROM PAY CHECK TO PAY CHECK... WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?????? PLEASE RECALL, MAKE RIGHT WITH ALL THE PEOPLE!

EVERYONE CALL NHTSA (1888-327-4236 ) AND FORD (1800-392-3673) MAKE COMPLANTS. IF YOU ALREADY PAID FOR REPAIR KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS. HOPEFULLY FORD WILL DO THE RIGHT THING.

- , Lindale, TX, USA

Sep 052008

Taurus ES

We were returning home from a vacation in Colorado, heading south of Liman and north of Kit Carson, when the car quit moving. By putting the car in neutral, I was able to roll back down the slope and park on the roadside. Our phone could get no signal and the only number we could call was 911. Dispatch found a county sheriff and dispatched a deputy. A pilot car driver stopped and loaned me her satellite phone for me to call the tow company. My husband is a heart patient and a diabetic. Three hours later, the deputy found us and the tow truck drive arrived. We towed it to the shop and my husband sold the car to the tow truck driver for the amount of the tow and the storing of the vehicle. Our son arrived about the same time as the deputy and took over. When I bought another car in Denver, the salesman was surprised that there was 171, 000 miles on the transmission. The vehicle had been serviced according to the suggestions.our solution to the problem was we sold the car for the amount of the cost to tow me to a shop

- , Seminole, OK, USA

Nov 232011

Taurus LX 3.0L V6

ford is a piece of you know what. i bought the car from a private owner with 77000miles nov 2 2011. everything sounded good. i take it to new york, ran good on the way back home. nov 22, 36 miles from home transmission failed. called tow truck & I had to wait four hours for tow to arrive. never would buy ford again. too many problems. ford should recall those cars. they are not safe. thank god, for me it could of been worse. now it's going to cost me 3000 to fix. don't have that kind of money.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jan 032011

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

EVERY BODY THAT IS A MECHANIC KEEPS TELLIN GME THIS IS DEFINITLY A RECALL ISSUE AND SOMEONE AT FORD KNOWS WHAT THE REAL PROBLEM IS AND IT SHOULD BE RECALLED ,BUT FORD WOULD HAVE TO PAY OUT TO MUCH MONEY FOR REPAIRS AND THEY WON'T DO IT !!

- , Liberty, NC, USA

Nov 042011

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

MY WIFE DROVE THE CAR TO WORK THIS MORNING. WHEN SHE TRIED TO LEAVE AT 6 PM THE CAR STARTED AND RUNS FINE BUT THE TRANSMISSION WILL NOT GO INTO ANY GEARS, PARK WORKS BUT THAT WONT GET HER TO WORK. WE HAVE HAD THE CAR SINCE 2007 WITH A LITTLE OVER 53,000 MILES. WE HAVE ONLY HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE IDLER PULLEY. BUT THIS IS NOT RIGHT THE CAR HAS DROVE PERFECTLY NO WARNINGS AT ALL THAT THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSMISSION. I FOUND THIS PAGE ON THE INTERNET WHILE I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM IS. AFTER FINDING ALL THE OTHER OWNERS THAT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY FORD DOESN'T MAKE A RECALL TO FIX THIS. IT IS NOT DIFFICULT TO FIGURE OUT THAT THIS IS NOT CAUSED BY THE OWNERS AND OR THE WAY WE HAVE TAKEN CARE OF OUR VEHICLE. THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT SOMETHING THAT FORD HAS DONE WRONG, AND THAT SHOULD MAKE THEM RESPONSIBLE FOR FIXING AND REIMBURSING (THE OWNERS THAT HAVE ALREADY PAID TO HAVE THE CAR REPAIRED ) THE COST OF THE REPAIR. I HAVE BEEN A FORD CUSTOMER FOR OVER 30 YEARS, BUT FINDING OUT THERE LACK OF CONCERN FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS HAS COMPLETELY CHANGED THIS.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Nov 042011

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

I have found out that the Ford Taurus has the same problem at least from 2002 to 2005. I want to know what it takes to get FORD to step up and take care of their responsibilities. It is without a doubt a Ford mistake. With the amount of complaints that are on here for the EXACT same thing not just 1 or 2 years but at least 3.

- , Hollywood, FL, USA

Aug 032010

Taurus SE V6

Pulled away from intersection got up to speed when I realized I was losing power.Total transmission failure.Had to be towed to service centre.Total cost for repairs was $2000.00.Seems to be common problem.

- , Courtland, Ontario, Canada

Jun 132010

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

I was driving down a four lane freeway and was passing someone in the left lane when suddenly my car just revved up and lost all acceleration. I got to the side of the road and the only gear I could get was park, all others acted as if they were in neutral. No warning signs or anything. Ryan M from Carleton, Mi indicates that "the problem stems from a bad heat treatment on the torque converter stamped steel part" from this website at http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Taurus/2003/transmission/transmission_failed.shtml (see complaint #69). It seems to me that us consumers should not be held responsible for bad manufacturing practices. I have already submitted my report to NHTSA at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm and I strongly urge others to do the same. I see that they are already looking into the 2004-2005 Ford Freestar and the 2004-2005 Mercury Monterey transmission (the AX4N/4F50N), the very same that is in the 1994-2007 Ford Taurus (see NHTSA Action Number : PE09033 indicating 227 owner complaints). If we all contact NHTSA and file reports, perhaps we can get Ford to issue a recall so we can get compensated accordingly.

- , Lansing, MI, USA

Jul 102009

Taurus SE 3.0L

Transmission went at 90,000 which i think is ridiculas for a car built in the two thousands. It showed no signs of going bad and then just went out on the freeway and was stuck there with a two year old in the back till a tow truck showed up. Not cool ford. Honestly this car has been nothing but problems i have had to repair so many things it's not funny.

For anyone looking to buy this car i hope you read this and change your mind, it will save you a lot of money and headaches

- , Mentor, OH, USA

Oct 092007

Taurus SES 3.0L

This was just the start. In Feb 2008 Trans went out (cool huh) ,and 2300.00 dollars later the problem was was fixed. In March 2009 DPFE went out (melted around hose fittings) and eventually find out that it melted due to Back Pressure from the Catalytic Converters. REPLACED all 3 for under 1800.00. WTF Ford, if a small business tried to sell an obviously defective product they would be sued and eventually put out business. I will never buy another FORD product again. One last item, A/C compressor went out in May 2009, 1173.00 dollars later problem solved. I am waiting for my next great FORD adventure !!!

- , Austin, TX, USA