2004 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

2004 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Dec 132013

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle accelerating on its own and gets stuck. Unable to stop car, have to slam on brakes and put the car in neutral. Car continues to accelerate and lifting the gas pedal with my foot does not stop the problem. Had iac motor replaced, throttle position sensor, and egr valve replaced but none of that helped the problem. Car seems to be stuck in cruise control or something and I am unable to stop the acceleration.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Feb 242014

Taurus 6-cyl

I was trying to stop for a red light. The engine RPM suddenly increased and when I pressed the brake the RPM kept increasing. I shifted from drive to park and the RPM still kept increasing. I finally pumped the gas pedal while in park and the RPM went down. This happened again about 20 minutes later when I accelerated after being stopped at a light.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Feb 022014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the throttle seized. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the throttle cable was off track. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- East Amherst, NY, USA

Jan 242014

Taurus 6-cyl

Every once in a while, the throttle in my 2004 Ford Taurus ses will stick and I have to tap the gas a little bit to make it unstick, and also when I turn on cruise control, on the dash it lights up, but cruise control doesn't engage.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Dec 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

To start decelerating on a multiple-lane freeway in heavy traffic, I removed my foot completely from the accelerator. I was surprised to find that instead of slowing down, the car began to gradually speed up even though my foot was not touching the accelerator pedal. The speed rose from 45 to 48 to 52 mph without my touching the pedal. I then braked, and the car slowed, only to resume speeding up when I lifted my foot off the brake. After I braked again, harder, the car slowed and the ghost acceleration problem went away. However, the same thing happened again several times during the 50-mile freeway trip. The pedal seemed to be mechanically sticking. The problem did not seem to be electronic, although I could not be sure. After exiting the freeway, the accelerator got stuck several times while on local roads. I was familiar with the problem by now and was ready at any time to shift into neutral if necessary. I did shift into neutral once to avoid a potential collision when approaching an intersection. While the car was in neutral, I tried tapping the accelerator pedal to see if that would unstick it. Instead, the rpms merely increased to a higher level, sticking again at the higher rate. I managed to get the car home, mostly on the freeway, without any serious mishaps. I previously had been somewhat skeptical of the much-reported acceleration problem with Toyota vehicles. However, I can now say from experience that when your car holds its speed or speeds up after you lift your foot off the accelerator, it's a strange and unsettling experience. I can easily imagine some drivers panicking. We were lucky that I was driving, and not my wife or kids, who have much less driving experience. At home, I discovered online that Ford has recalled many 2000-2003 tauruses for sticking-accelerator problems. I can tell you that it's a problem for our 2004 Taurus as well.

- Claremont, CA, USA

Sep 262013

Taurus 6-cyl

Wife was taking child to an appointment in another city (half hour from us) and got into town there and the accelerator stuck. She called me scared wondering what to do. She was able to make if off the busy street and into a parking lot. Put in park and the rpms went up to over 4K. Shut car off and turned back on and same thing. Had to have it towed back to our house. Thought we fixed the problem and then last night it happened to me as I drove down the highway. Had to hold brakes to keep at highway speed and keep from running into car in front of me. Now cruise isn't working.

- Atkins, IA, USA

Jan 152013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle accelerated without manual force on several occasions. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was unknown.

- Centerton , AR, USA

Sep 012013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal failed and became stuck to the floor board. The contact was able to release the accelerator pedal from the floor board by switching gears to neutral and then tapping the accelerator pedal several times. The failure was experienced numerous times. The contact stated he was a private mechanic where he diagnosed that the cruise control cable needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 76,000.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Sep 102013

Taurus 6-cyl

My car began accelerating on its own. It was traveling around 65 mph without touching the gas pedal. I had to drive with the brakes depressed to keep the car from accelerating even more. When I turned the car off and then restarted it, the engine was going very fast and if I put it in drive, it accelerated on its own. ' however, today it seems okay.

- Denver , CO, USA

Jul 032013

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving and approaching an intersection I began to apply brake for red light, the rpms spiked to 4000. The car continued to accelerate on it's own.tried to tap brake again..no change. Put the car in neutral and tapped gas to finally get the rpms to lower to at least 2000 level. This has happened at least 4 other times.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 152013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle accelerated without manual force. The failure recurred on several occasions. The contact was able to stop and restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Aug 192013

Taurus 6-cyl

I'm driving down the freeway at 60 mph and tap on the brakes to slow down and once I let my foot off the brake, with my foot off the gas pedal, the car continues to accelerate. Tried just about everything. Turning cruise control on and off, putting it in neutral, tapping the brakes, still continued to accelerate and randomly stopped once I applied the brakes for the 5th time. Extremely dangerous not having control of your own vehicle.

- Centralia, WA, USA

Aug 082013

Taurus

When driving said vehicle it's speed increases on it's own. When you break the engine's rpms race to a very high level. At this point you need to put the vehicle in neutral and/or park and tap the accelerator a few times to bring the rpms to an idle state. I had this problem "repaired" about a year ago at my local Ford dealership but the problem has returned. Also, my cruise control stopped working shortly after the "repairs" were made.

- Seminole, OK, USA

Aug 012013

Taurus

As I easy driving home from work, I stop for a traffic light and the engine starts idle up. The next day I take the car in and have it checked out, that's when I found that the throttle sensor was bad replaced it end of problems.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Jun 202005

Taurus 6-cyl

Car started racing and driving without putting foot on the gas pedal at all. The racing only stops if the car is put in park and one guns the engine a few times. This happens mostly in the summer months and has happened every year since purchase of the car. Ford claimed throughout our 7 year warranty that there was no problem found. Warranty has expired, but problem hasn't.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 172013

Taurus

I was going down a back road at 20 mph. My car accelerated up to 35 by itself. I took my foot off of the pedal at the car kept accelerating. I pressed the brake and the car slowed down but I felt a great deal of power, like the car wanted to keep accelerating. As soon as I took my off the break the accelerated. I had to tap the accelerate pedal all the way down very quickly and it stopped. A few days later my husband and I were driving on the highway and I went to use my cruise control and it would not engage. At the present time the cruise control still does not work and the car is still accelerating on it's own.

- West Columbia , SC, USA

Jul 072013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal failed and became stuck to the floor board. The contact was able to release the accelerator from the floor board by tapping the accelerator pedal several times. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to be inspected. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 113,000.

- Henderson , NV, USA

Jun 242013

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while attempting to park the vehicle in a residential garage with the brakes depressed, the vehicle suddenly and independently accelerated, crashing into the garage door. The contact sustained injuries to the eye. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileage was 128,000. Updated 8/5/13

- Avon , MA, USA

Jun 242013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the accelerator pedal failed and became stuck, causing the vehicle to accelerate without manual force. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The problem persisted and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Cambridge, MA, USA

Jun 292013

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that after shifting into park, the vehicle continued to move forward. The contact had to use the parking brake to stop the vehicle from moving any farther. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs and the manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 155,000.

- Muskegon, MI, USA