2004 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

2004 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Nov 152011

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 15 mph and depressing the brake pedal, the brakes would not respond. There was an increase in rpms and the vehicle lurched forward while the engine continued to race. The contact continued to apply excessive force to the brake pedal, placed the vehicle in neutral and was able to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician was unable to determine the cause of the failure. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE12005 (vehicle speed control:cables) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Aug 232010

Taurus 6-cyl

Gas pedal sticks and car accelerates. Cruise control stopped working.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Jan 272012

Taurus 6-cyl

On four separate occasions, the first being 01/27/12, I have experienced my car accelerating on its own. It felt was as if the car was possessed. It sped from 40mph to 55mph without my foot on the gas. I had to struggle to brake at a red light, fighting the car as it tried to resist stopping. Thankfully, I was able to come to a stop, place the car in park and put the parking brake on as I waited at the red light. Once the light was green and it was time to drive again, the moment I took my foot off the brake, the car immediately accelerated rapidly, without any assistance from me. This was during heavy traffic, so I was very scared, and broke into tears when I finally parked at work safely. This has happened on three other occasions over the past two months, one where my car went from 30mph to 55mph on its own. When these incidents have occurred, I have put my foot behind the gas pedal and pulled forward, checking to make sure it wasn't stuck, as that has happened once or twice as well. I am on a tight budget and can not presently afford to get my car fixed, so I have no knowledge of if/when this will happen again. It comes and goes without warning. Sometimes once the car starts speeding up by itself, it does not stop until I am at my destination. Other times, it ceases after a few minutes without notice. Please look into this, as I saw a report that other Taurus owners are experiencing the same issue, and this is a very dangerous problem. Thank you.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jun 152011

Taurus 6-cyl

When I start my car, it revs high, up to about 2000-3000 rpms. While sitting still at a stop sign or red light it will idle around 1200 rpms. While driving it will just accelerate or if I take my foot off the gas it will stay at current speed or increase. I can pump the pedal and it will jump up to 3000 rpms or sometimes it will cause the throttle to kick back and I can feel the pedal bump my foot. No matter the driving conditions or terrain it will do this everytime I drive my car. Sometimes it will idle too low but most of the times it idles high or overrevs when im sitting still or pull in and shift into park. This problem has occurred daily since the problem has started, also this whole time my cruise control will not engage.

- Buchanan, GA, USA

Mar 132012

Taurus 6-cyl

The car will try to accelerate when coming to a stop as well as when you foot is off the accelerator. In the instances that this has happened my wife or I has shifted the car to neutral at a stop and the engine will rev to 3,000 rpms and stay there. Please note when this happens the car will try to move forward and accelerate in drive even when your foot is on the brake.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Mar 212012

Taurus 6-cyl

2004 Taurus - approx. 62500 miles - cruise control has not worked for several weeks. Light came on but it did not engage. 3/21/12 - tonight on the way home on the highway - the car accelerated to 60 mph w/out foot on the pedal. Tapping pedal did not help. Had to put car in neutral to break/stop/pull over but the car rpms were reving the whole time. Taking it in for service on 3/22/12. Reporting this because I see this seems to be a common complaint.

- Vicksburg, MI, USA

Feb 142010

Taurus 6-cyl

On the afternoon of February 14th, 2012 I was driving my vehicle in a residential area of West philadelphia when the car began to lurch forward when I applied the brake. When I took my foot of the brake, the car proceeded to accelerate at a speed of approximately 30 mph without my foot being on the accelerator. I went down one city block with the car still moving without me pushing the accelerator. I then pulled the car over and put the car in park and the engine continued to rev at approx 3000-4000 RPM. I then turned the car completely off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I then turned it back on and the car continued to rev at 3000-4000 RPM while still in park. I then turned the car off and called for someone to pick me up as I believed the car was unsafe to drive. When my friend arrived, he attempted to start the car, and it started normally. He then drove the car back to my residence without incident. Then on the afternoon of March 14th, 2012 I was again driving through a residential area at around 30 mph. I pushed on the brake when approaching a stop light and the car continued to lurch forward. I became very afraid as I was close to the car in front of me and it appeared as though the car would not completely stop. After pressing down hard on the brake, it did come to a complete stop, but was jerky and shaky when idle. When the light turned green, I proceeded down the street as I could not find a safe place to pull over because there were children in the area and I feared the car may keep going if I again attempted to stop. As it did on 2/14, the car coasted down the street at approximately 30-40 mph without me putting my foot on the accelerator. This time, I drove into a street without much traffic and after approximately 700 ft, the car began to drive normally.

- Yeadon, PA, USA

Mar 022012

Taurus 6-cyl

The throttle is sticking and causing the car to accelerate when trying to slow down. The first incident occurred about three weeks ago. At first we noticed when we would slow down for turns the car would want to accelerate. The second incident occurred when my wife tried to come to a stop in the garage and the car tried to take off. The third incident occurred with me driving the car. I went to stop at a stop light and the car did not want to slow down it wanted to accelerate almost causing me to run into the back of another car in front of me. We have found that if you put the car in park the throttle/acceleration will stop.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jun 042011

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that he deactivated the cruise control while driving 55 mph, but the vehicle would not decelerate. There was a constant increase in engine rpms until the contact applied heavy pressure to the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the throttle position sensor was replaced. The contact examined the vehicle the following morning and noticed that transmission fluid had leaked onto the ground. The failure persisted. The contact then disconnected the cruise control cable and the failure had not recurred since. The transmission leak continued despite numerous repairs performed by the contact and an authorized dealer. The failure mileage was 86,311. Updated 04/13/12 the consumer stated the vehicle would not decelerate normally. There was a higher than normal engine RPM and he had to use heavier than normal braking to both slow and stop the vehicle. Just prior to arriving at a safe parking area, the idle returned to normal. After a brief stop, the consumer went back home. Initially, the idle was normal, but then the high idle returned. The vehicle wa taken to an independent mechanic, where the throttle position sensor was replaced. The consumer examined the vehicle the next day, where he noticed transmission fluid was leaking. The transmission dipstick shaft and dipstick was extended about 3-4 inches onto the ground. All fluids appeared normal after inspection was performed. The consumer replaced the iac and returned to the mechanic to verify proper installation. The consumer then disconnected the cruise control cable from the throttle body as the high idle persisted. The transmission leak continued despite numerous repairs performed by the consumer and the authorized dealer. Updated 04/23/12

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 022011

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving with the cruise control activated at 50 mph, the cruise control disengaged independently yet the vehicle continued to increase in speed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Berry , IL, USA

Mar 162012

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle accelerates on its own, causing it to cruise around 50-60mph without any pressure on the throttle. When this happens, dropping the vehicle into neutral causes the engine to rev high. When shut off and started again, problem still persists. Has noticeably occurred on three different instances. Might be similar to a current NHTSA investigation regarding "sticky accelerators" on tauruses. The cruise control on the vehicle stopped working on the car approximately a year ago, and the problem has occurred since then.

- Weedville, PA, USA

Jan 222012

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving down the road upon slowing down before making a turn accelerator would stick as if it was in cruise control mode. Upon pumping the gas pedal the pedal would become unstuck. Cruise control mode now no longer works in vehicle. The has happened on two different occasions once while making a turn and once while pulling into the parking lot.

- North Street , MI, USA

Jan 062010

Taurus 6-cyl

Speed control failed and after failing noticed that accelerator sticks and holds speed rather high. So far the engine returns to normal after tapping the peddle a time or two. Upon reading however am sort of worried that sometime it may stick full power in which case would cause an accident.

- Barry, IL, USA

Mar 092012

Taurus 6-cyl

While in a residential area, my car began to accelerate on its own and did not give way when I hit the breaks. The car started accelerating on its own at 40mph, and kept going to 50 mph, and then at 60 mph I began to panic. The traffic on the road I was traveling on was busy and cars were going in and out of businesses. When trying to hit the breaks the car slightly jerked and did not slow down the car. I was quickly approaching a line of cars waiting at a red light and there was no break down lane. Luckily, I was able to move into a small parking area and nearly hit a storefront by 3 feet. I quickly put the car in park, while it continued to accelerate on its own. Thinking I would reset something, I turned off the car and started it again. The car kept accelerating and created a lot of smoke in the back. $500 to fix at a Ford dealership later and I am still anxious that the same issue will happen again but I will not be so lucky - what if it happened on the highway" when a pedestrian was crossing the road? what if I hit someone" Ford needs to recall this part - and I want my money back!

- Manchester, CT, USA

Sep 072011

Taurus 6-cyl

The gas pedal was stuck. I free it by re pressing the gas pedal a number of times. This has happen twice over 5 months. Also I checked from news report about the cruise control and found that my control does not function at all.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 102011

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated on its own. The contact placed the gear shifter into neutral and was able to stop the vehicle. The failure occurred three different times. The contact stated that the failure would occur within twenty-four hours of using the cruise control. The cruise control was not activated when the vehicle accelerated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. There was an investigation for the 2005 Ford Taurus under NHTSA action number PE12005 (vehicle speed control:cables), that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 082012

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving vehicle to work, noticed that cruise control would not engage as normal. As I began to decel onto the off-ramp, the engine RPM stay at approx 2800 RPM and would not go any lower. Found that black cruise control tab on throttle body had allowed throttle cable to slip out partially, causing the throttle body to stay partially open. Had to wire-tye the end of throttle body for cable to remain engaged to operate vehicle.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 272010

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle would abnormally accelerate when driving at any speed or when at a complete stop with the brakes depressed. On multiple occasions, the vehicle abnormally accelerated to 50 mph without depressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic numerous times for the failure. The mechanic replaced the throttle sensor and the cruise control was disconnected, but the failure persisted and the vehicle continued to abnormally accelerate. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- Roshelle , IL, USA

Oct 052011

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Taurus. The contact abnormally accelerated despite that the brakes were being depressed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the mechanic confirmed that the throttle needed to be cleaned. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 119,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- North Mankato, MN, USA

Mar 132012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was on my way home from the bank when my car suddenly sped up and wouldn't stop accelerating. I reached up to 55 mph without touching the gas petal. Thankfully my brakes still worked and I was able to get to my house without causing any damage. However, my gas petal is still stuck, even with the car off, and I checked around the petal to make sure nothing had gotten in the way to make it stick, nothing had. Now I can not drive my car without ruining my transmission and possibly the front of my house, as I'd fly right into it. This can be very dangerous, if my breaks would have gone out, I most certainly would have caused an accident and possibly killed someone. This was a very terrifying experience.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA