8.7

$2,213.00

2. new transmission (22 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (20 reports)
  4. replace torque converter (9 reports)
2004 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

2004 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 102011

Taurus SEL 3.2L V6

Add my 2004 Ford Taurus SEL to the list of transmission failures! With 84,000 miles on the odometer I never expected this sudden and complete transmission failure. The car had been serviced a month earlier at the Dealership, including new tires, front end alignment, oil change and the usual overall check of fluids and systems. I really regret spending that money! I was driving on Interstate 5 when, without any warning, it was if the car popped into neutral. I managed to get the car on to the shoulder, but the highway was very busy and it was scary being stranded, a woman alone, along such a busy road. I called my husband and called AAA to tow the vehicle. Ford quoted me $3,200 for a factory rebuilt. Instead I took it to a local transmission shop (recommended by a friend who is a mechanic) for a cost of $2,300. The rebuild has 36,000 miles/3 yrs. warranty but I have lost faith in this car. What is waiting to happen next? I would love to trade it in but I have put close to $3,000 into it including the tires and recent service. I am sure that the trade-in value is not much more than that and I don't want to feel like I am just giving this away! My mechanic told me it is time to "upgrade". He advised me to stay away from Ford. Darn. I want to buy American! I have taken such good care of this vehicle it looks almost brand new. I am very disappointed, although up to this point the vehicle has been very reliable with no other significant problems. Ford, you have let me down, this problem has been known for a long time and has apparently been ignored and swept under the rug. In the future I will ALWAYS check this site and sites like this before purchasing a vehicle. Thanks for being here.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 242011

Taurus 3.0L

I had the repair done at a independent repair station had a hard time getting an answer as to what was wrong inside the tranny as they must have replaced it with a rebuilt off the shelf at a rebuilder ,. asked them to check with the rebuilder...came back with a dumb reply, so cant tell you what went out, no mention of the torque converter but did charge for a line flush kit. so must have been the pump maybe there is a valve in the pump ?? so if you think about it only three possibilities: torque converter, the drive from the torque converter hub, or the pump, nothing else that could leave you sitting with no warning or noise and no froward or reverse gear. Ford has to know there is a flaw in this transmission.

- , Wind Lake, WI, USA

May 212011

Taurus SE 3.0L

Let me start by saying we have been a Ford family for years. We currently own a 99 zx2, 04 FX 4, and an 04 Taurus. We have had great service from all of these vehicles until last night while my wife was takeing our son to a friends house. The Taurus simply would not move in the middle of a busy highway on a bridge crossing over lake Jackson. Fortunately a nice couple assisted her in moving the car to the end of the bridge and over to the side of the road. At this time it appears that the torque converter is the issue. The worst part is that we were just days away from trading the car in for a new Taurus at the local Ford dealership where my wifes mother works. Needless to say this transaction is not going to happen. After looking at several different web sites and speaking with the service manager at the local Ford dealership I have come to the conclusion that Ford is aware of this issue but has chosen to ignore it. I am sad to say that we will no longer be dealing with Ford in the futuer as it appears that they no longer stand behind their product which was always their strong point in the past. looks as if we will no longer be an all Ford family as the wife now wants to put a Honda Accord in the spot where her Taurus used to sit.

- , Locust Grove, GA, USA

Jan 052011

Taurus SE 3.0L

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THE TRANSMISSION HAS GONE OUT ON THE SAME CAR!!!!! This is completely ridiculous and I will never own another ford car again!!!! this transmission was installed from a U-Pull-It and came out of a car that had 31,000 miles. Low and behold 14 months later it FAILED, AGAIN.... Way to go Ford.....

- , Gonzales, LA, USA

Feb 262011

Taurus SE 3.0L

I was on my way to visit a friend for a few days and sign divorce papers so that maybe, just maybe, I could start a new chapter in my life. The car has done good for me with no major problems to mention for the last 16 months, had everything serviced just days before leaving home (oil changed, all fluids checked and topped off, tires checked, everything) but 5 1/2 hours into my drive the car just quit going. Thankfully I was stopped paying a toll when it quit rather than in heavy interstate traffic. It showed no signs of problems, no indications on the read screen on the dash, no noises, nothing. I stopped, paid the toll, and when I pressed the gas to leave the toll booth it just reved up but it didn't move. I tried all gears and nothing worked, it was like every gear was neutral.

So, the damn thing left me stranded 5 1/2 hours from home and 3 hours from anyone I know, on the side of an interstate at 9pm by myself. Mind you, I said it had done me good for the last 16 months... I say that because I just put a NEW transmission in this damn thing 16 months ago but the warranty expired 4 months ago. So, now I'm stuck 2 states away from home, with nowhere even remotely close to enough money to have it fixed (almost $2500). Thanks Ford, you really screwed me this time.

I CANNOT believe how many complaints are on this site for the EXACT same problem! I am sickened by this! Ford, do you realize that you have not only put me in a seriously bad spot by being this far from home, but I'll likely lose my job over this?? I have NO way to get this thing fixed and NO way home. The economy is crap and there is NO way my boss is going to wait God knows how long for me to find my way back home. He will replace me. F%$@ you Ford!

- , Wilmington, NC, USA

Apr 112011

Taurus SE V6

I bought my 2004 Ford Taurus in July 2010. In April 2011 the transmission gave out without any real warning. My husband and I would feel the car shake and hear a clicking sound when driving on the highway but driving on the streets, everything seemed okay until one day the RPMs shot up to 3000 after I pulled off from a red light. At the next red light, I stopped and when I went to take off after the light turned green, the engine just revved as if the car was in park.neutral. After searching the web, I discovered that Fords are notorious for this problem. I will NEVER purchase a Ford, a Lincoln or a Mercury vehicle for the rest of my driving days. Ford should man-up and take responsibility for this problem before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. I pray it doesn't come to this!

- , Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 012011

Taurus

It appears that there is a problem with the transmissions in 04 ford taurus'. On a Sunday trip to the zoo my family and I ended up on the side of the interstate and the rest of the day getting the car towed back home. Without any warning the transmission went out, not a single warning just out. Calling ford to find out what???????????????????/

- , Shreveport, LA, USA

Apr 112011

Taurus SES

Bought the car used...thought it was a good deal...low mileage..... had it for two weeks ...Driving the car to work......stopped at a light....and the car just stopped.....would only shift into park and neutral.....engine revved like it was in neutral but didn't move...glad there was a parking lot near that I could push it into....now saving up the money to have the transmission rebuilt.....guy at the trans shop said this is a common problem with that year taurus.....FORD you need to recall this one....thankful I wasn't in a ton of traffic or on the highway....could have been disastrous!

- , Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Apr 202011

Taurus LX

My mother's 2004 Ford Taurus failed on her while driving on the interstate. The tow truck driver told her that he had towed 3 Ford Taurus' this week with the same problem. Even the ppl at the Ford dealership knew what was wrong before even looking at the car. She called the FORD MOTOR COMPANY and lodged a complaint. They said they weren't aware of any complaints or problems concerning the transmission or torque converter being a problem with these cars. They did take her name, address and gave her a claim number all while apologizing profusely for her inconvenience. I urge you to call and COMPLAIN directly to FORD MOTOR COMPANY if you have any problems with the transmission/torque converter in these cars. There is power in numbers and I believe they know that there is definitely a problem and should have issued a recall on these vehicles. Her car had a little over 70, 000 miles on it at the time. Inexcusable. Ford needs to be held accountable before someone gets hurt...or killed!!!!!

- , Minden, LA, USA

Apr 102011

Taurus SES 3.0L V6 Corn Burner

So, I decided to purchase an 04 taurus from my sister in-law. The car is in great mechanical condition and looks great for having 116000 miles on it. She had no problems with the taurus other than your typical maintenance. Anyways, we have driven the car for 6 months and managed to put 5,000 more miles on it. I gave it a fresh new set of plugs and wires. (This is when i found the car to be a corn burner.) My sis in law never knew it burnt corn so she was also surprised. No big deal, car runs great and we can now have the option to be green, pay less for corn fuel, and get worse gas mileage. Here comes spring break and the wife wants to drive to phoenix AZ to see her parents and take the kids on a road trip. The boys are 8yrs and the baby is 18mths. Don't ask me what I was thinking driving from the Grand Rapids, MI area all the way to phoenix. Phoenix was great. Through the trip the taurus ran great, no problems until 11 pm 925 miles from home in chandler Oklahoma. I was cruisin down the interstate @ a gentle 75mph. All of a sudden the rpm's were higher than hell. I thought the wife may have accidentally bumped the floor shifter into neutral. No such luck. I pull over on the interstate and get off the road far enough to not get creamed by a raging tractor. So, here I am shifting back and forth through the gears and there is nothing going on. All I seem to have is park, and neutral in every damn gear. There was no symptom what so ever that my tranny was going to experience a massive failure. The tranny was just serviced not 30,000 miles ago by a damn ford dealer. So, the highway patrol was great, at my wifes request, not 1, not 2, but 3 highway patrol vehicles were behind us to protect us from a drunk, or tired driver. That was kinda over done I thought. To my "luck", the car broke down one mile away from a motel and a ford dealership was 100 yard away from the motel. To my request I had the car dropped off to the dealership to be diagnosed or repaired in the morning. To my surprise, the tow truck driver seemed to know my taurus was a piece of sh*t, and so did the owner of the ford dealership. The estimate for a rebuild of my tranny was 2,950 dollars and would take 4-5 days to complete. The estimate for a new tranny installed was 3,500 dollars and would maybe take 3-4 days to complete. F*CK THAT! I need to get home and I need to get home now. At this point I am quite pissed off not thinking real clear. What do you do? I ended up finding a local u-haul dealer and renting a 17 foot moving van with a tow dolly for 786 dollars. The van I drove, which was the only one they had, got a massive 10 miles per gallon. 925 miles to drive 10 miles per gallon and gas @ 4 bucks and i'm towing a big piece of sh*t down the interstate. Do the math. Thankfully we make it home safely but now broke, and I still have a broken car. As luck would have it, a good friend of mine is a diesel mechanic. He loves working on piece of sh*t fords he says. I have not yet determined whether to buy a junk yard tranny or rebuild yet. I'm thinking the junk yard tranny is the best bet since I have no intention on investing into this piece of sh*t no more. As soon as it is fixed, I am regretfully thinking seriously about goin' foreign. It seems that the big 3 auto makers in this country all have their heads up their ass when it comes to the quality of these overpriced vehicles. The engineering department that they each hire are clearly "C" students, but they received their shingle to hang proudly on the wall and got the job anyway. Unfortunately to our expense. Good luck to you and yours.

- , Kent Citty, MI, USA

Feb 242011

Taurus SE V6

I want to start by saying, stay away from amco transmission, they are a bunch of fricken liars. First of all, they'll say " we will bring the car in for free, that they will run a computer scan to find the problem" There are no sensors in the damn transmission. The way they get you is, They will ask you to open the trans to take a look to see what the problem is. They cannot open the transmission until you give them the OK. By you giving them the OK, 495.00 dollars is the amount you will be paying even if you decide not to accept their offer which will be around 2500.00 dollars. They will give you all this crap that this broke and needs to be replaced, because of the explosion inside the trans, Parts scattered all in the transmission so they had to rebuild the transmission. Average price to fix the torque converter is about 400 and 700 dollars. I wish someone would put these ba$tards out of business, how they have lasted open so long? I can imagine the number of people they have screwed over. Bottom line, the torque converter is going to be the problem 90% of the time on these 04 Taurus. Be careful Taurus owners. STAY AWAY FROM AMCO TRANSMISSION

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 062011

Taurus 3.0L

I thought this car was the nicer of the two! 72k miles wouldn't expect transmission problem. was glad i got the wife and kid out and into Inlaws car, before it completly broke down. everyone is quoting $2k to fix. Is a used Ford worth that? My other car, 02' HONDA civic with 130k miles. I traveled through Mountains with it fully loaded. NO MAJOR PROBLEMS! I tried American made.. my fault it will never happen again....

- , Victor, NY, USA

Mar 302010

Taurus

I previously had a 99 Ford Escort ZX2, which always had this annoying engine vibration to it. Then my brother was ready for his new car so he sold me his 2004 Ford Taurus for a great price, considering it was 4 years old and only had 14,000 miles on it! I was skeptical for another Ford, but couldn't pass this deal up. (He commutes to NYC, so he only used his car to drive to the subway station, that is why it had such low mileage for the years).

I purchased it from him in June 2008, and months later i found that if my car was in park for 3-5 minutes, it would just stall. One time i had my foot on the brake for a few minutes in a parking lot (luckily not on the road) in which it also stalled. It always started back up so i never took it in!

Mid March 2010, it began jolting while i was cruising along. Say i was going 70mph you could feel the car jolt (not a shifting jolt, but almost like the car stalled out for a split second, then resumed to normal) End of March, i got on the road and all of a sudden, in mid acceleration, the gas pedal stopped working!! I was able to get to the side of the road- turned the car off then back on- i put it in all different gears and still no movement! Had to have it towed ($120) only for the transmission guys to tell me it is the torque converter, a $350 part, yet $700 in labor since they have to take the transmission out and apart to replace it!!!! At this time my car had 37,500 miles on it!! WTF!! I was told by the transmission place that they see this problem a lot on the 04 Taurus! No one can say what they have to do with each other, but once the torque converter was replaced, the funny stalling stopped happening.

Now, December 2010, with 47,000 miles on it, the jolting in the middle of driving has started again. Also, i'm getting computer problems, the gas cap light and ABS brake light comes on and the digital screen in the middle is out. Then the fuel gauge does not register properly. After the car warms up, i restart it, and the warning lights go off, and fuel gauge slowing increases to where it properly should be. If this is another transmission problem....nine months after my last one i will be extremely pissed off! Even though the part is under warranty the labor is what will be detrimental! I didn't even want to begin a complaint w/Ford- the car was 4 years old (out of warranty) and i had a feeling they'd have a hard time believing there was that low of mileage on it.Seemed like a hassle to even begin the complaint process with them.

So, why all these torque converter problems and no recall!!?? Stupid Ford POS, Never Again, and i mean it this time. There is never a "deal" on a Ford vehicle, considering how much money i have and will have put into this car. I've learned my lesson with Ford.

- , Novi, MI, USA

Feb 232011

Taurus ES 3.2lV6

Same problem I have just been reading about but my car only has 44000 on it.

Tranny just quit working in heavy traffic pulling away from the light going about 15 MPH the traffic started to move faster stepped on the gas but the car did not accelerate shifted into neutral and back into drive no go, down shifted into the other lower gears on go.

Luckily coasted into a parking lot. Tried reverse but that did not work ether. Have not heard anything from the repair shop as of yet.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Feb 242011

Taurus SE V6

I can't believe the number of people with the same problem. If I had known of this information, I would not have bought this piece of sh!t. There was no signs of any problems, it just went out. Luckily I was down the street from my house, so I pushed it home. For those of you who own a 2004 Taurus, be careful, it will leave you stranded somewhere. I've read of other Taurus's with 85k miles, 100k miles even a 54k miles that have had the same problem with there transmission. Im buying a Toyota.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 042010

Taurus 3.0L

Ford was not helpful in any way except to offer to replace transmission for $3000 to $3500.00

- , S Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 072010

Taurus 3.0L

I too had a very reliable 2004 Ford Taurus until all of a sudden my car coasted to a stop without any prior warning. I had it towed to a dealership and had it diagnosed for $91.50. They said the trasmission went out and it would cost $3,832.00 (new transmission, labor, & tax) to fix. I asked them why so much and they said that's the lowest price available. They said it would probably cost more with a shorted warrenty period if they tried to rebuild without knowing exactly what parts stripped out on the inside of the transmission.

So what is with Ford transissions going out without any warning? Why are there so many people having the same ford transmission issue as I? If there are so many ford transmissions failing at approximately the same then this is telling me that the Ford motor company has purposely engineered their transmissions to fail at a pre-determined time in order to force consumers to reinvest is either repair costs or even worse--the cost of a new or used vehicle.

- , Vancouver, WA, USA

Jan 062011

Taurus SES V6

I guess my story is the same as the rest. We own a 2004 Taurus, have since 2005. It has 118,000 miles. This morning my husband was on his way to work, car seemed to be running fine. Made a left turn, hit the gas NOTHING!!! He said it was as if someone put the car in neutral. Quotes to repair the transmission is between $2000.00 and $2500.00. I guess I am with the rest why is there no recall? If just on this sight so many have complained, you know there is more people out there, something needs to be done. Why should we as consumers have to pay for someone else's mistake? I loved my car until now, we expected this car to last us a while. Now we are weighing out options, is this fix going to even be worth it?

- , Kirkland, IL, USA

Dec 222010

Taurus Limited V6

Traveling from Aiken, SC to Columbus, Ga. Left home got to the last exit in Thomson Ga and while on the interstate (I 20) the car started slowing. I placed my foot on the gas and nothing happened but the rpms went up but the car was not speeding up. Coasted to the side of the interstate and there you go. There was no warning at all that this was going to happen, it just did. I had to call my husband, waited 2 hrs for him to come, he brought his car so I could continue on my trip, he waited for stepson to come with trailer to haul car home and he waited for two hrs as the trailer had a flat. The car is still sitting up on the trailer. I am so angry. I had a 96 Limited Taurus that had close to 200,000 miles on it which I sold for what I bought it for used and never had any trouble other than normal things like brakes, water pump etc. This car is definitely not the quality the other car was. I wish I had not sold it but kept driving it. I really don't have the money to have it fixed right now and of course no more warranty. If ford knows this then they need to do a recall or something I think we outa sue but of course they would deny it. If anyone does count me in.

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Dec 142010

Taurus SES V6

I, like the other complaints, had no idea why the transmission would fail with only 86,000 miles on it. After reading the last 2 nights all of the similarities it has become very clear Ford has a problem that they are ignoring. Just driving down the road and all of the sudden engine revs but no go. Actually thought i was on ice. Coasted into a parking spot at the local high school where I had it towed to the local transmission specialist. As soon as I started talking and told him what year and make I had he told me it was the torque converter. At first i thought this guys a genius but then realized he sees a lot of the Taurus's He also said he sees almost as many Windstars from the same years 2003 and 04. Sorry Windstar owners. From the sounds of it they all will go bad it's not just a few unlucky ones. Looks to be most prevalent in the 85000 mile range from what I've seen. I don't think me never buying a Ford again will hurt them and I suppose if enough people think that way it won't make much difference, the Government will just bail their butts out. Probably Form a new company like NEW FORD and spin off Old FORD. I can't imagine calling Ford and complaining will make much difference. I believe they all know about these issues and know right away what the problem is but will act like that is the first time they've heard of one of their transmissions going out with only 86000 miles on it. Good luck all. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- , Spring Arbor, MI, USA