8.7

$2,213.00

2. new transmission (22 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (20 reports)
  4. replace torque converter (9 reports)
2004 Ford Taurus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Taurus:

2004 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 172014

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

Well, I use to have a lot of faith in Ford, now, not so much. My 2004 Ford Taurus was at a red light, pulled out on the highway and my transmission failed, it was like I put the car in neutral. I never felt so helpless in my life and Ford has known about this for a very long time, why haven't they put a recall on their transmission, are they waiting for someone to get enjured or killed before they admit that they have a serious problem. It stands to reason if someone gets seriously injured or killed by this problem they will loose billions of dollars in lawsuits and damages. So what is it, Ford, admit to a recall or face lawsuits that will follow your neglect.

And I also had a heating problem, a faulty heater core was the problem. My faith in Ford has really dropped, I'm thinking foreign cars are the solution because Ford puts money first, than building reliable cars and trucks and SUVs. They need to be forced into recalls on my car and other vehicles on the road today.

- , Dunnville, KY, USA

Aug 162014

Taurus SEL V6

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem. Took the family up to busy Estes Park for the weekend. Was at the busiest intersection in town waiting to turn left when the transmission failed, just like hitting neutral, no forward or reverse. Lucky for my family a park service jeep saw my plight and pulled in behind to shield with their flashing lights until a tow could arrive. The tow truck driver took one quick look at the transmission fluid stick (reading overfilled) and said, "yup, just as I thought. Pump is out, you're probably looking at a busted torque converter. We see this a lot."

I'm already out $275 for the tow off the mountain back home, and it looks like at LEAST another grand to get it fixed. I really hate this car. Don't think I will ever own another Ford.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

May 262006

Taurus SES 3.9dohc

slip,hesitate,grinding gears,converter&transmission fail

My son was admitted to Riley Childrens Hospital at 2 weeks old in march of 2006. We almost lost him! He held on and after surgery we had to stay about 7 weeks in recovery. THE DAY I WAS ALLOWED TO BRING HIM HOME IN MAY OF 2006 I CALLED MY HUSBAND FROM WORK 2 HOURS AWAY SO HAPPY WE COULD COME HOME THAT DAY. ON HIS WAY TO GET US THE TRANSMISSION FAILED IN TRAFFIC ON I-70! HE CALLED A CAB AND CAME TO THE HOSPITAL. WE HAD TO WAIT 4 HOURS FOR MY FATHER TO TAKE MY HUSBAND BACK 2 HOURS AND PICK UP A TRAILER TO COME 2 HOURS BACK TO GET THE CAR AND MYSELF AND OUR INFANT SON! WE DID NOT WANT TO TRAVEL WITH HIM BACK AND FORTH AND I DID NOT WANT TO BE HOME WITHOUT A VEHICLE WITH A SON WHOM I HAD TO BE CERTIFIED TO BRING HOME!! so not only did the car cost a lot with what we were going through...all the money for the cab and trips and truck and trailer to get the DAMN car back home!! NOW I am having problems with my 2013 FORD FIESTA!!!! GOTTA LOVE EVERYONE ELSE WHOM WANTS CAR PAYMENTS BUT DO NOT MAKE THEM AS STRONG OR DEPENDABLE AS OUR GRANDPARENTS DROVE...FOR 5 TIMES THE COST!!!!! GREEDY? MEAN? RIDICULOUS?

BIG THANKS TO THE HOSPITAL FOR LETTING US USE THE ROOM AND FEEDING US WHILE MY HUSBAND AND FATHER TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM!!!! ONLY IF FORD FIXED AND MADE THINGS RIGHT LIKE THOSE DOCTORS!

- , Wabash, IN, USA

Sep 022013

Taurus SE V6

I really wish I would have thought to check this car complaints site before we bought the car a year ago. There's almost 80 complaints on here for the same issue so one would think it's the transmission that Ford installed in these cars. I noticed the 2003 and 2005 Ford Taurus's have even more complaints than the 2004 for the same issue. Three years in a row with bad transmissions. I honestly can't believe there hasn't been a recall on this. There was no sign of any issue with the transmission whatsoever. It just went out. The car only had 52,500 miles on it!! My daughter was turning on to a side street, stepped on the accelerator and nothing but revving of motor. She pulled to the side and we had it towed to the shop. $2200 later, we have it back, Sounds like it's only a matter of time/miles before it goes out again. Disappointing Ford, very disappointing! Where's your pride of building top of the line products???!!! Along with registering this complaint, I'll also be calling Ford directly. Eventually if they receive enough calls, maybe they'll do something about it.

- , Liberty, MO, USA

Jun 012010

Taurus

Yep, tranny went out, just like everyone else. Had it rebuilt for $2700. What a bargain! NOT! Since then, my car does some funky jolt. It feels like I've been tapped from behind by another car. You can physically see the car jolt forward if you are looking at it from the outside. I sent my car back to the tranny shop and they could not find the issue. Took it to my regular mechanic 3 times, can't figure it out. Took it to some stranger, he couldn't figure it out. 2 years later and it's still jolting forward. NOW, my brake booster is out. So, I just recently got new brakes, tune up, oil change, the whole sha-bang. I am driving my car up a hill on the freeway at 75 mph when I lost power. By the time I managed to pull over, I was going 25mph! Turned car off and back on and took off and seemed fine. Now, and this has happened several times; I will be sitting there in my car with foot on brake. Release the brake and before I touch the gas, my car just TAKES OFF. Seriously! Then I hit my brake and nothing. Barely get that thing to stop. I pull over, put it in park and THEN, while in park, my RPM's rev up to almost 3RPM. Turn car off and on a couple of times, problem stops (temporarily). I called my mechanic and he says, get it off the rode and bring it in asap. Unsafe to drive. Brake booster is out. GREAT!

- , Newport Beach, CA, USA

Sep 072012

Taurus SES

Wow this is a serious problem and now I realize how common it is! I am not a knowledgeable car person so when this happened last year I paid a fortune and fixed several parts. Now a year or so later and tonight I was traveling down a busy freeway at 70 mph and the car just started slowing down, it sounded like it was revving up and I could see the RPM dial raced up and down as I began to pull off the freeway it just stopped in the emergency lane (very dangerous and I was reprimanded by a Security driver) and would not move from that point, not forward or backwards. I had to call a tow, accept a ride home from a stranger, and $70.00 later it’s in my driveway. The cost to fix it is to be determined however it is a must as I need to get to and from work and it is my only transportation. This is very upsetting as it appears to be a faulty product and WHY no recall? Guess it will be my last Ford!

Very Disappointed Ford owner...

- , North Port, FL, USA

May 192013

Taurus SES 3.0L V6

I have never been a Ford fan, however, after being hit by an idiot pulling out in front of me and ending up in a pond, and classes fixing to start, I was desperately in need of a car. I found this 2004 Taurus with only 54,000 mile that was owned by an older lady and got a really good deal on it. Word to the wise, if the deal sounds too good to be true, there is a very good reason for it. I have had the car for a year, put approximately 15,000 miles on it and started having trouble with it pulling. I mean, the motor runs really well, but after getting the car up to the speed limit, if you slow down below a certain speed when the person in front of you is turning, it WILL NOT pick up speed, it's like it slips into neutral. When you live as far from town as I do, this is not a good thing. I don't believe that it is the transmission, or it would do this all the time. Most of the time it works fine, so I believe it is probably one of two sensors, the one that controls the transmission or the speed sensor, which I am in the process of checking. However, even if it is the transmission (or whichever it turns out to be) it had to have been defective to begin with. There is no way this should happen with only 70.000 miles on a car. Needless to say, I will be getting rid of this car and absolutely WILL NOT buy another Ford!

- , Sedalia, KY, USA

Dec 282012

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

I had planned a trip up north from Louisiana to Illinois for 2 months and had everything checked out that I could to avoid any problems on the road since it was myself and 4 kids. 7hrs from home and 10hrs from my destination the transmission goes out and I'm no longer able to go any further. The engine itself was just fine and kept running keeping us warm in the cold while waiting on a tow. I was so frustrated being stuck on the interstate in the middle of nowhere and the transmission goes out! I have owned plenty of Ford's in the past and never had any problems close to this! My 2004 Taurus only had 85k on it so it never crossed my mind I would ever be in this position. This has put a very bad taste in my mouth since having to use my emergency credit card to have it towed to the most reputable repair shop that gave me 24,000k warranty on my new transmission, which I'm thankful for, but put me back $2,500 for tow, part, and labor. Needless to say, Ford is out!

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Jun 072012

Taurus SES 3.0L

I bought the car used with 20000 miles on it. I had to replace the transmission at 55000 miles. I have had many cars but this is my first (and) last Ford. I was driving the car on the highway and all of a sudden my car stopped running. I called my mechanic and checked it and told me to have it towed to a transmission shop the trans had gone out. I have had a lot of cars but never have I had a trans go out on me especially with only 55000 miles.

Since this happened I have had the trans replaced three times and now am starting to have the same problem again. This is beyond annoying.

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Mar 212012

Taurus SEL V6

My story is the same as many here: driving on long highway trip, and stranded by a failed transmission. The repair was 3500, and I really had no choice in the matter given how far I was from home.

Growing up, my father would buy only American vehicles. He spent a lot of time under them and I learned to hate them. When I bought my own vehicles they were all Japanese and vowed never to buy anything else... but relented last year when I picked up a used but very nice Taurus wagon. Well, I re-learned my lesson!

(To add insult to injury, I was one of those people who supported the auto bailouts)

Never again.

- , Schaumburg, IL, USA

Aug 202012

Taurus 3.2L V6

Got stuck on a road trip on the side of the road in 102 degree heat with three kids waiting for a tow truck. Had to rent a rig for a week while the car got fixed to get home then had to go back and pick it up...so total cost was actually over $3K!! Had purchased the vehicle used only a year before. So pissed!!

- , Aurora, OR, USA

Dec 072012

Taurus SE 3.0L V6

I was on my way home and after making a right onto a boulevard, I heard a faint snapping sound and I started coasting. After the tons of problems I have had in the year and a half of owning this car, I have stumbled over this problem before so within seconds I knew my transmission went out like all the rest of you.

I'm a broke college student, I barely made the $3600 to purchase this car, I have already put $1000 in it on several other (really annoying) fixes and now I have to come up with another $2000 to get this fixed? This is just ridiculous. I bought this car paid-in-full cash so I won't have any payments on it but ever since I bought it that's all I've been doing. If you are reading this right now and DO NOT own a Ford. KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!

This car should honestly be on Modern Marvels Engineering Disasters. Every time I went to the shop to diagnose or fix something, the mechanic always says "Yeah, it's a Ford thing". One of them told me "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if it wasn't for Ford, our tools would rust."

Like all you other guys have stated... If there's a recall or class action suit on that transmission problem... let me know.

I hope you all have less-sour and beautiful journey to purchasing a new car after having a Taurus.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Aug 132012

Taurus SE 3.0L

Transmission on wife's Taurus just quit. Same situation as I have read countless times on this and other websites. No previous problem, no warning, just rev up and coast. Haven't heard from shop but can venture a good guess what the problem is. What a shame. Bought the car new, used seldom and definitely not abused----all for nothing. As mentioned, this is my wife's car. She has driven nothing but Fords in her 50 years of driving...it's a family thing. I've had everything BUT a Ford and this might be the end of her 50 year streak. Go Hyundai.

- , Brazil, IN, USA

May 022012

Taurus SEL 3.2L V6

Riding on a highway, the car just died. The transmission failed. I understand that this transmission was used in one of Ford's trucks and was recalled, but for some reason not recalled in the Taurus. That information came from Ford dealership mechanic. I'm mad!

- , Marlton, NJ, USA

Jun 112012

Taurus SES V6

Driving on the freeway engine revved but car continued to slow down as if the car was in neutral, had to have car towed

- , Detroit, MI, USA

May 312012

Taurus SEL V6

Coming home from work this evening, had to meet my wife at park and ride to drop something off and as I turned off the ramp, the car just seemed like it popped into neutral. No forward or reverse gears, but would at least go into park. Was fortunately able to coast into park and ride (where it still resides at this time). Then unfortunately I found this thread outlining this chronic issue........ FIGURES! Guess I'll see if I can find anyone interested in buying a higher mileage Taurus in need of a transmission!

- , Butte Des Morts, WI, USA

Sep 142011

Taurus

I have a 2004 taurus and was driving on the main road when all of a sudden it stopped dead in its tracks and I had to coast to the side of the road and had to have it towed home. Luckily no one was behind me or it could have been a lot worse. I wouldn't be so upset but just 6 months earlier I had to have the transmission in my 2004 ford freestar replaced that cost me over $2000 - didn't have the money to get the taurus fixed. The worse part is that both these vehicles have the same transmissions and Ford knows there is a problem with them as of now they are replacing the torque converters in the freestars- hopefully they do the same for the taurus. In this economy we don't need to be spending money on a vehicle especially if the company knows there is something wrong.

- , Blissfield, MI, USA

May 052012

Taurus V6

I was driving home on Interstate 44 on a Saturday evening with dusk fast approaching. I went to step on the gas and the only thing that happened was the engine revved way up like I was in neutral. Fortunately for me, I was going downhill and was able to move to the right and make it to an area where there was a shoulder where my car would barely fit with a guardrail so I couldn't move any further over. I had just had my son with his learner's permit drive to my other son's house and luckily I was driving back home when the transmission failed with no prior warning. In fact, I had just been thinking how lucky my son was to learn to drive in a car that drove so nice and smooth. Now my husband tells me that the same thing happened to him in a Ford in 1973, so they clearly are well aware that their transmissions suck and they haven't done anything about it for 30 years.

- , Cedar Hill, MO, USA

Apr 152012

Taurus 3.0L

driving on route 17 west, johnson city ny, center lane of busy hwy, tach goes up to 4,000 and car has no, none zero gears. What would have happened if my 88 year old father was sitting in the middle of the highway coming home from church. Thank God it was me, i threw on the 4 ways, moved over to shoulder as i coasted, and sat.. Down pouring 37 degree sunday afternoon with pops broken car. No warning, no noise, and no help, nice...Sure glad he always buys fords, and always has.. Way to step up to the plate for your long time customers. rp

- , Binghamton, NY, USA

Apr 142012

Taurus SES 3.0L

What happened: Today as I was going to the store my car was about to shift into second or third gear (about 20mph) and all of a sudden the engine just revs up as if it was disconnected from the wheels. The car stops just rolls as if it shifted into Neutral on its own! I coast down the road and pull off to the side.

What I tried: After stopping I tried everything, I tried every gear, checked the Transmission fluid, and pushed it both backwards and forwards and nothing fixed it at all.

Dangers because of this: I was in the middle of one of the most sketchy neighborhoods on earth! There were people walking past me in my broke down car and at any point they could of taken an gun out or any weapon or busted the windows out of the car.

How I tried to salvage the situation: I got out of my car pushed it onto the road, turned the wheel left and got it in the other lane and started pushing it back twords my house. Cars were passing me like crazy as I was walking in the median of the road holding onto the steering wheel pushing the car. After about 45minutes of pushing the car down the road I called for help and got someone to pull me. Just for those who don't know, THE WHEEL WILL NOT TURN UNLESS THE CAR IS RUNNING. So I had to let the motor in the car remain turning the entire time wasting gas so that I could push this contraption that Ford created.

What someone else said: I get back to the house and someone that likes to work on cars looks at the common problems, gear shifter, transmission fluid, etc and can't find anything. He even connected the car to the OBDII machine they use at garages to see what code the car was throwing out, and there were none at all! The car's computer was reporting that it was working correctly and the check engine light didn't even come on. That's outrageous! How could the car not know that it's straining itself to death and not moving!? Thanks Ford for not programming anything about this into your Check engine codes!

if (ResistanceWhileInDrive == ResistanceWhilteNotInDrive) {throw "Transmission failure!"}

What to do now: I live 20minutes from the closest town and am going to have to TOW my car to the dealership and have to have them look at it and get it repaired!

Why this is horrible: I am a full time college student who barely makes any money, and the money I had saved went into buying this car, and now I have to have it fixed.

My opinion: After looking at everyone else's problems with this transmission as well and Ford doing absolutely nothing about it, they have got the absolute last dime out of me, and that is not going to change! (oh and the car does look nice, still looks like brand new.)

All in all: Ford Taurus 2003 and 2004 models, Great on the outside, Horrible on the inside!

- , Wilmington, NC, USA