2005 Ford Taurus drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 202010

Taurus

I was in the process of parking my car and when I put it into park the engine revved up and had to turn off the car as it would not throttle down. The second time I was driving, was applying brakes and started to drive and engine revved up, had to brake and then turn car off. Third time I was starting vehicle and engine revved up, had to turn off. The cruise control cable was replaced on the vehicle less than a year after I purchased.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Oct 132012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the engine rpms increased and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder however, the contact was unable to engage in any gear. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic who inspected the failure and advised the contact that the transmission or the torque converter may have needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified who stated that there were no recalls for the failure and offered no other assistance. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 192012

Taurus 6-cyl

After getting off the highway my car begin accelerating on its own. While applying the brake the car remained at 1500 rpms. I put the gear in park and the car went to just over 4000 rpms. I put the car in neutral and it remained around 4000 rpms. This has not caused an accident, but it is very dangerous and not normal. I contacted Ford and they told me that they are not aware of this particular problem with 2005 Ford tauruses.

- Mayfied Heights, OH, USA

Sep 082012

Taurus 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the car the engine was idled up she turned in the driveway and could not stop the car before it hit a tree. This is the same day I replaced a idle control valve for the third time.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 292012

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the mechanic confirmed that the torque converter needed to be replaced.

- Largo, FL, USA

Aug 042012

Taurus 6-cyl

I bought my Taurus 2005 SE at the end of February 2012 at mileage of approximately 81,600. It has occurred twice already that the car kept accelerating after I fully released the gas pedal. Both of them occurred on us HW1. The first time was in may and I wasn't sure what was happening at that time because the traffic wasn't stopped completely, before I could fully identify the problem, the traffic started moving fast again. The second time was last Saturday when I was driving from princeton to New York, my wife and 2 year old daughter were both in the car. The traffic was jamming and stopped completely at some point, then I had a really hard time in stopping my car. This time I had a clear feeling that the car was accelerating, although not at high power, but I had to use my full body strength to stop the car and kept pressing the brake for the whole time. Luckily the traffic didn't stop for too long, otherwise I might have given up and just hit the car 1 meter in front of me. I realized only later that I could have also shifted the gear to neutral or turned off the car. I took the car to a mechanic this Saturday but he wasn't sure what's happening because the problem is not regularly duplicate. Then I looked up this online and found that this is probably a common problem with Taurus 2005 and 2006, I am just another victim. Although accident didn't happen, it was very scary. Certainly such accident couldn't have been prevented if it was my wife driving the car.

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Dec 012011

Taurus

EA09016 this recall should be expanded to include all models of car vehicle with this transmission/issue not just mini vans. There are quite a number of complaints with the same issue. We had the same issue and during my investigation this appears to be transmission (torque converter related) not vehicle make and model related. I have filed complaints with both NHTSA and Ford only to be told (by Ford) that the recall doesn't apply because it is this decision does not apply to other types of vehicle.

- Madison, WI, USA

May 242012

Taurus 6-cyl

On 5/24/2012, I was driving in my neighborhood at about 45 mph when all of a sudden the rpms spiked to about 4000 and the car would not slow down from 45 mph even with my foot off the accelerator. I was able to turn down a side street and stop. My brakes did work. I had the car towed to my dealer. The dealer replaced the throttle body and speed control cable and said they had worn causing cable to come loose and jam throttle body.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Apr 082012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was coasted to the shoulder and towed to a local mechanic. The mechanic performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the torque converter. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 51,581. Updated 05/10/12

- Covington Township, PA, USA

Dec 052011

Taurus

Sudden loss of power transmission power/burning smell. Driving in madison Wisconsin, the 2005 Ford Taurus suddenly lost power. I was able to coast to a stop, but needed to be towed to a repair shop. The symptoms, transmission id and other characteristics are the same as the transmission issues with freestar and other Ford minivans/autos. Upon consulting with a Ford authorized dealer, the only remedy is to replace the transmission. When pressed for an answer, they described the same situation as the current recall... and stated that my Taurus transmission was the same transmission.. most likely with the same issue.

- Madison , WI, USA

Jan 182012

Taurus

I was pulling into a gas station and starting to slow down, but the car kept accelerating. I applied the brakes and put the car in park, but the engine was racing. I pushed down on the gas pedal very hard several times before the car stopped the excessive acceleration. Another time I was driving on the freeway at about 60 mph and the car started to accelerate, but I also pushed down very hard several times before the acceleration stopped.

- Champlin, MN, USA

Mar 262012

Taurus 6-cyl

Car accelerator stuck. Put car in neutral and park and went up to 4,000 RPM. Had to turn car off. Taking car in to a service center.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Sep 152011

Taurus 6-cyl

Driving down expressway and car began to speed up on its own. Could not get it to slow down. Had to put car in neutral and pull into emergency lane. I then turned car off and was able to stop. Had to be towed to shop. Throttle was fixed.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 012011

Taurus 6-cyl

Throttle stuck while driving. This has happened many times. I have had a transmission shop look at it to no avail. Decided to write you after hearing other consumers report the same problem in a local new story.

- West Chester , PA, USA

Nov 052007

Taurus 6-cyl

I was on vacation driving up the coast of California and I noticed it was becoming increasingly difficult to brake my vehicle and my tachometer would not predictably fall as I let off the gas. It was subtle at first but then became more pronounced so I started shifting the car into neutral to see if it was the engine or something else. After putting it into neutral I noticed the car would not goes less than 2000 RPM on the tachometer. Then it became apparent that the car was accelerating independently of my input through the gas. I pulled into a parking lot and coasted in neutral, parked and shut off the engine. As I have some automotive mechanic experience, I figured something was wrong with the throttle linkage or something was stuck in the throttle plate. On inspection, I noticed the cruise control linkage and slid off. I then went to radioshack and bought some small zip ties and zip tied the linkage in place. It is to this day held in place with zip ties and I haven't had any problems since (108,000 miles currently). I saw that the NHTSA was investigating these vehicles for the same complaints and thought I'd report my incident in hopes of helping others.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jan 252012

Taurus 6-cyl

Throttle sticks open when driving and revs to 3000 at a stop when parked. Can't take foot off the brake otherwise car speeds up. Have to turn engine off and let sit before starting again. Has happened 4 times, but no codes found when scanned.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Nov 252011

Taurus 6-cyl

Sticky throttle. Engine race to 3200 rpms. I had a hard time stopping the vehicle.

- Millington, TN, USA

Sep 072011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the transmission would not shift gears. In addition, the vehicle would abnormally lunge forward while in park. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The transmission was replaced but the failure recurred one month later. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Wilmington , NC, USA

Feb 172012

Taurus 6-cyl

Car was speeding up by itself and took all I could do to stop it. On 02.23.12 took car into dealership and they tested. Said the throttle cable; broke off a corner of cover and freed up cable. Still having problems, intermittently, with car driving without use of gas pedal and not slowing down until I force it to.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 042011

Taurus 6-cyl

Lost all motive power or the ability to move forward or reverse without warning.

- Chicago, IL, USA