2005 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Taurus:

2005 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 012013

Taurus 6-cyl

Vehicle accelerated unexpectedly and speed continued to increase even though I removed my foot from the accelerator. I put the vehicle in neutral - the engine was running at this point at nearly 4000 RPM - and pressed quickly on the accelerator. This stopped the acceleration and the engine returned to normal RPM. This scenario was repeated two more times before I arrived at my destination.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Oct 192011

Taurus 6-cyl

I have multiple times where my car is accelerating on its own and have to put car in neutral to stop it. RPM's are so high the rev limiter kicks in and at least 15-20 times while stopped at a traffic light with the car at idle, car would accelerate fast with my foot on the brake almost hitting car in front of me, once again putting in neutral to stop it, had it looked at by service centers but no fault codes were found and was told not repairable if no code were found because they would be guessing for the problem. And I did look to see if the cruise control cable was on or off the linkage assembly, but cable was attached ok and had not fallen off like other reports.

- Parma, OH, USA

Sep 202010

I was in the process of parking my car and when I put it into park the engine revved up and had to turn off the car as it would not throttle down. The second time I was driving, was applying brakes and started to drive and engine revved up, had to brake and then turn car off. Third time I was starting vehicle and engine revved up, had to turn off. The cruise control cable was replaced on the vehicle less than a year after I purchased.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Sep 112012

Taurus 6-cyl

While my wife was driving the car she told me the engine raced and it was all she could do to stop the car. At first I thought she had maybe turned on and set the cruise control by mistake because I could not get the symptoms to repeat. About three weeks later the same thing happened to me. I put the car into neutral and the engine revved to almost 4000 rpms and stayed there for about 15 seconds. Had the car checked out with nothing found wrong. Has not recurred.

- Jeffersonville, PA, USA

Oct 192012

Taurus 6-cyl

While driving in a 45 mph zone throttle stuck had to brake hard to slow vehicle down put into neutral, engine rpms in excess of 6000 turned off car waited several minutes before restarting. Seemed fine however cruise control no longer worked. Upon inspection later on the cruise control cable had become disconnected. Reconnected cable, problem recurred in residential neighborhood. Reconnected again and again problem of stuck accelerator happened, again in a residential area.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Sep 082012

Taurus 6-cyl

My daughter was driving the car the engine was idled up she turned in the driveway and could not stop the car before it hit a tree. This is the same day I replaced a idle control valve for the third time.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Aug 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving at 40 mph down the road when traffic slowed down. I released the throttle to apply the brakes and the engine rpms increased and the vehicle would not slow down. I narrowly avoided an accident by applying the brakes as hard as I could and drove into a parking lot before shutting the vehicle off. Upon restarting the vehicle, the engine RPM was around 4,000 RPM and would not come down. After pressing the accelerator pedal several times the vehicles engine returned to idle speed. Upon further inspection I found that the cruise control cable had become disconnected from the throttle body. I assume that the cable was able to wedge the throttle open and became unstuck once I depressed the accelerator pedal several times. The plastic end on the cruise control cable is not broken but does fit loosely on the throttle body when I reconnected it. I have applied a plastic zip tie to the cruise control cable to keep it from coming off again.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 242012

Taurus 6-cyl

My husband was driving our 2005 Ford Taurus with the air conditioner on high, he heard a pop and then saw flames coming out of the engine. He was able to get out of the vehicle and call the fire dept. The car went up in flames. The mechanic said the fire started in the air conditioner. The car is a total loss.

- Lagrangeville, NY, USA

Jul 052012

Taurus 6-cyl

I had noticed on several occasions that the gas pedal seemed to stick and the engine seemed to rev and the RPM needle would increase to 3500 or more even though I had my foot on the brake. After a couple of minutes, the engine would return to normal. Last week, my cruise control would not work, although I was able to turn on the word cruise on the dash when I pushed the on and set buttons, but the cruise did not take hold. The engine continues to rev up when I start the car and when I bring the car to a stop..

- Jackson, MI, USA

Apr 262012

Taurus 6-cyl

Car continued accelerating after taking foot off gas pedal. Slowed car down. Pulled off road and stopped and put in park. Engine roared. Turned off car. After a few minutes restarted car but engine still roared. Car bucked and lurched. Stomped on gas pedal to stop engine surge. Have taken car to Ford dealer 5 times and each time they tell me it is fixed only for it to happen again.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 152012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was turning left into the side road leading to my home when the vehicle suddenly accelerated. I applied the brakes (to no avail) and then shifted into neutral. Engine RPM exceeded 3000. After tapping the accelerator pedal several times the engine returned to idle speed. I continued and turned left into my driveway and the same situation occured. It has not happened again although my cruise control no longer works.I can turn it "on" and when I press "set accel" the cruise light on the dash comes on but the cruise control won't engage.

- Woodland Park, CO, USA

Mar 202012

Car failed to slow down when accelerator released shifted into neutral and engine revs had occurred twice. Accelerator sticking.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

May 272012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was on I 17 North to flagstaff AZ, when the speed control all the sudden began to climb 65, 70, 75 almost 80 mph I tried braking. I had to take out of gear and coast to a er lane before I could shut off the car. Very scary luckily I was heading North not South heading South is mostly downhill I probably would be writing this. Please look into this problem.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 312012

Taurus 6-cyl

This is the 3rd time this has happened to me- and each experience is as frightening as the last. I was driving approximately 15 miles an hour and the engine revved and the car sped up without my pressing the gas- I did not have my foot on the gas pedal. I reached the light, put the car in park, at which time the engine accelerated higher and higher. I turned the car off and when I turned it back on the engine continued to rev higher and higher. After turning it off again, I decided it would be ok to make it through the intersection, at which point the car sped up to 45 mph without my pressing the gas at all- in fact, I had to press the brake pedal several times to try and slow down and avoid hitting another vehicle in front of me. I finally had to pull over and turn the car off for several minutes before turning it back on- and then it was fine. It is terrifying to feel such loss of control and feel like I could not slow down. Please recall this issue- it is a danger to anyone on the road.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 232012

Taurus 6-cyl

After accelerating while driving on the expressway, my vehicle has been stuck in the acceleration status. This has happened multiple times since January and the mechanic has no answer. Thought it might be a loose cruise control cable that he adjusted but this only worked for two months. Today I had the same experience. Took it to Ford they say there are no recalls but just today I had to put two feet on the brakes at the light in order to stop the car and after I kicked the gas pedal abruptly the engine slowed down and so did the rpms.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

May 072012

Taurus 6-cyl

I was driving approx 30 miles an hour when the car started to accelerate on its own. I had to pull over on the side of the road and turn the car off to stop the acceleration. Pressing the break had no affect on the car auto accelerating. This has been happening very frequently over the past week. No when it starts to accelerate by its self I put the car in neutral and it accelerates up to approx 4000 RPM, to stop the acceleration I press the gas pedal and release quickly and the car settles back down, stopping the acceleration. I feel that this is very dangerous to me and my family and needs to be investigated.

- Virginia Beach , VA, USA

May 092012

Vehicle engine revs up to over 4000 RPM plus at city and highway speeds with no warning, no foot on accelerator, no use of cruise control and regardless of what gear the vehicle is in. In city, speeds rapidly increase from 25-50 plus without touching accelerator and/or from 50-to 80 plus at highway speeds. Only way to stop it is to ride the break and/or turn off the vehilce. Dealer has attempted to identify and fix the problem twice with no success and waiting on Ford to identify and find a permanent fix.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Feb 192012

Taurus 4-cyl

My 2005 Ford Taurus has a problem slowing down on several occasions when I attempt to slow down at stop signs or red lights. There's been many times when I've almost ran into a car in front of me because I could not stop or slow down. Instead of stopping when I apply the brakes, the engine revs up and speeds up on its on. This has been going on for several months and I'm afraid that I may crash into someone in front of me at a stop sign or red light. Also, even when I'm driving on the highway or a normal street or road, the car will sometimes speed up on its on even when I take my foot off the gas pedal. This is very dangerous and I'm going to take my car to a Ford dealership to see if they can fix or repair this manufactured defect.

- Garland, TX, USA