2008 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Taurus:

2008 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 162010

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact was traveling in reverse 2 mph when the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the failure. The current and failure mileage was 15,000. Updated 12/30/10 updated 01/04/11 the consumer stated the vehicle suddenly accelerated in reverse. Updated 01/10/11 the consumer stated the brake and accelerator pedals have questionable. Updated 04/06/11

- Sun City, CA, USA

Sep 092008

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. While driving approximately 3 mph the rpms increased and the vehicle would accelerate over 30 mph. He stated that the failure occurred one week after the vehicle was purchased. The contact stated that he immediately drove the vehicle back to the dealer and the computer was reprogrammed; however, the failure occurred eight times. The contact stated that on two occasions the vehicle was taken to the dealer and a Ford event data recorder was placed in the vehicle. The event data recorder was installed incorrectly and did not detect any failures. He stated that the dealer was unable to determine the cause of failure. The failure recurred on June 30, 2010 while driving 35 mph. The brakes were engaged and the contact was forced to shift into neutral gear. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised to take the vehicle back to the dealer so that they could diagnose the failure again. The contact has requested to have a Ford engineer to determine the cause of failure. The failure mileage was 5 and the current mileage was 13,600.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Not long after purchase of Ford Taurus, when stopping at light/sign the engine would stay revved up to 3000+ RPM -- only very firm (two foot) braking kept at stop -- moved to neutral to correct. Had dealer check (7/9/08) and they said they could find no problem. Has happen 3-4 times since. Fortunately, have been aware and could avoid major problem. With recent developments, this car has similar characteristics.

- So. Charleston, WV, USA

Jan 212010

I was entering I 70 East in columbus Ohio off the james road exit, while attempting to merge into the outside lane. I sped up to adjust my speed, as a vehicle was in the same lane. When I accelerated, the car automatically took over and suddenly accelerated and revved up high and fast. My first reaction was to hit the brakes, I did, but the brakes would not depress or brake. I was trying to think of everything to do and monitor the cars around me, as well. I tried holding down the brakes hard and taking off while the car went flying by two exits, I knew I would not be able to exit because I couldn't stop. I continued with trying to locate the flasher and thinking about hitting the emergency brake but, I didn't because I was unsure whether it would come to a quick stop. I kept pushing down and up on the brake pedal. Suddenly, the revving began to settle down (a fast downward revving sound) and I was able to brake the car. I was unsure whether to pull over so I decided to continue to my destination which was only 3 exits away. I parked and looked at the car and especially the area near my feet, there was nothing interfering with the brakes or the accelerator. I panicked all the way home, not knowing what would happen so I stayed off the freeway, believing the freeway speed would cause a similar issue. As soon as I got home, I researched the issue and found some similar instances with the same make and model. I will call the dealer tomorrow. I had a previous experience with the transmission stopping on the freeway and disengaging while driving and when I stopped. When I would pull over and switch the gears, the car would make a loud dropping sound. And it would be difficulty to switch gears. The car shifts at times and kicks back. The dealer replaced a sensor but, it has not resolved the issue completely. I've taken it back and they found nothing. I hope they will find something, as I am afraid to drive this car after tonights experience.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 132007

Taurus 6-cyl

I bought a 2008 Ford Taurus in Sep 2008. Over the last three weeks, I have had three incidences of engine surge while stopped and the brakes applied. The first two incidences occurred when the car was cold, shortly after leaving my house. The surge today occurred when the engine was hot. The engine surges to about 2000 RPM, no accelerator involved. I have not spoken with the dealer yet but will take the car in for check tomorrow morning. This is a heads up for anyone else having the new Ford engine and possibly experiencing the same problem. For a person capable of applying only light brake pressure, the car lurching forward is a real hazard.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA