2008 Ford Taurus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Taurus:

2008 Ford Taurus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 032011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving at 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Vinton, VA, USA

Dec 032015

Taurus

I was pulling out of a parking lot, stopped and on the brakes waiting for an opening in traffic when all of the sudden my car tried to surge me forward, revving up very high. It sounded as if the car may blow up. I had to stomp on the brake pedal with both feet and fight to keep from the car throwing me out into traffic. I put the car in park and it stopped. I immediately went to the nearest service station, where they looked at it & took it for a drive. It didn't happen while they looked at it so they told me they have no way of knowing what went wrong with it. My husband called Ford and they claim they have never heard of that and we were the first ones that had that go wrong with their Ford Taurus. I'm very frustrated, I saw numerous complaints on the internet about the exact thing happening to other people. I'm scared to drive my car now, and will no longer teach my son to drive with it. There's no way I'd put my son behind the wheel of it knowing it might throw him into traffic and harm him in any way. Is Ford waiting for a death before they admit to anything?! I need help from anyone to guide me in how to find out what went wrong and how to get it fixed. I have a couple doctor appointments coming up in St louis and I can't get the fear of it happening on an 8 lane highway out of my head. Help!

- Park Hills, MO, USA

Sep 182015

Taurus

Purchased vehicle in Feb 2010. Driven to take children to and from school and back home approx total mileage round trip daily is 6 miles at most. First instance happened when approaching a stop sign and slowing down by pressing the brake but the motor accelerated rpms instead as if I were pressing the gas. Lasted few seconds and began doing as it should. Next instant happened couple months later when pressing the brake to stop after returning home from taking children to school. Tried to stop in my driveway when I reached the house and the motor accelerated instead and had to turn the switch off to make it stop making the acceleration noise. This has happened several times with each time a little more intense. Most recently, while taking my son to a travelball tournament I slowed to stop at a stop sign and it briefly revved the motor. When I tried to start going again it took a second for the car to actually go, then began running normal. Few miles down the road traveling about 45 miles per hour all of a sudden lost all ability to control the vehicle when the motor began accelerating but car slowing down as if it had been knocked out of gear. The difference was it was still in gear and pressing the brake did nothing and steering became very difficult. Managed to get off the road and stopped then it just started driving normal again. Proceeded to drive to destination and slowed to turn right at intersection with oncoming traffic when car did the same thing again. That was a month ago and has not done it since.

- Temple, GA, USA

Oct 132014

Taurus 6-cyl

2008 Ford Taurus. Parked in driveway with foot on brake...all of sudden the engine accelerates rapidly and I proceed to hit the side of the house. The next day was just sitting at stoplight with my foot on the brake and the engine for no reason accelerates to over 4000 RPM.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Aug 082014

Taurus 6-cyl

This car has only about 16,000 on it. I was driving on the interstate when I started getting this hard jerk and then the car speed went down to about 30 mph. After a few moments, the speed will pick back up for about a mile or 2. the hard jerk will come again and the transmission will not change out properly. This could have cause an accident on the interstate, so I got off the interstate and started traveling on the back roads to make it home. By the time I got home, I could have hardly make it. I had the car towed to a Ford dealership and they informed me that the transmission was gone out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called the Ford company, but said it was not a recall on the transmission. This is a very serious ordeal, someone could have gotten hurt from this situation. The hard jerk, the speed dropping while the transmission trying to change out. Please look into this matter. I am sure this has happen to others, but has not been reported.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jul 132014

Taurus 6-cyl

Had cruise control set to on position, I accelerated to pass a car, then the acceleration continued on even though my foot was off of accelerator pedal. The car continued to speed rapidly with the engine revving even though my foot was pressed hard on the brake. I was able to slow the car down to 60 with my foot pressed hard on the brake. Unfortunately there was traffic around me and I did not have the ability to control the speed of the car. I had to move onto the road shoulder to avoid hitting the car ahead of me. Luckily the paved shoulder of the road was grated and somehow caused the car to stop (intermittent acceleration 3X), and then coming to a complete stop. Upon explaining this to my father, he wonders if the acceleration cable stuck when I initially attempted to pass a car and then shook loose and became unstuck when driving over the grated road - not sure. I was glad to make it out of that situation alive but need your assistance in how to proceed with this problem. My father called a Ford dealer mechanic and they want to charge for a diagnostic and repair. I feel that this should not be our responsibility as this is possibly a manufacturer defect that should be taken care of by Ford. Please advise me. Thank you for your time.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

May 302014

Taurus 6-cyl

Started driving and car would just jerk and then would go again and not go into gear.only could get speed up to 20 or 40mph. Took to dealership and they state I need a new transmission. Called for and they can do nothing about it and still owe on it.

- Wichita, KS, USA

May 122014

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle decelerated and went into limp safe mode. The contact mentioned that all of the warning lights illuminated on the instrumental panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the speed sensor was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage 146,000.

- Bristol, WI, USA

Mar 072014

Taurus 6-cyl

Made left turn onto major street. There was traffic so everything was slow. As soon as I got onto the street, the engine revved up and started to move faster than I wanted and I put my foot on the brake. The car shot forward and I hit the vehicle in from of me. This was not driver error. It was sudden acceleration.. it caused significant damage to the front end of my car. Luckily, no injuries.

- Oxford, MI, USA

Mar 062013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the brake and accelerator pedals were too close in proximity, causing her to depress both pedals simultaneously. The contact mentioned that on one occasion, the driver crashed into another vehicle as a result. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 50,000.

- Ellicottville, NY, USA

Jul 122013

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated abnormally. The vehicle had to be maneuvered to the side of the roadway in order to stop the failure. Additionally, the contact stated that the vehicle would roll forward after the being secured in park. The failure recurred over a five year span. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Wilson, NC, USA

Sep 162013

Taurus

Stopped at a red light, suddenly engine surged, racing like it was going to take off. I stayed on the brake, then put the car in park, it continued to surge. Moved it back to drive and within a few seconds the surging stopped. I was able to continue on without incident. My mechanic checked the vehicle out without finding anything. I took it to a Ford dealer. They went over it, took it out on the road for a test, nothing showed. My concern if it should occur when I didn't have my foot on the brake.

- Limerick, ME, USA

Jul 312013

Taurus 6-cyl

Car was in a parking lot. I put car in reverse and very lightly applied gas pedal and vehicle shot back at a tremendous rate of S peed which I was unable to stop and vehicle was stopped by hitting a low cement wall. If anyone had been behind me they would be injured.

- Holly, MI, USA

Jun 012011

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while stop at traffic light the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the proceeding vehicle rear end. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who repaired the vehicle front end damage. However the sudden acceleration failure was not investigated. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000 and the approximate current mileage was 42,000.

- Greenwood , IN, USA

Aug 012012

Taurus 6-cyl

On wed. Aug, 1, 2012, I was driving on the expressway, the accelerator pedal on my 2008 Ford Taurus sped up by itself. I thought the cruise button came on by itself or that the floor mat was stuck on the accelerator pedal car causing the vehicle to go going real fast, (but it wasn't) I hit the brake, moved to the right shoulder and put the car in low then neutral then turned the car off. It happened again two days later, on Friday, August 3, 2012 and I was on the expressway again. Scared me to death, and it is extremely dangerous, I am taking it in to a Ford dealer for repair.

- Southfield, MI, USA

May 262012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that the vehicle abnormally accelerated while driving 55-60 mph. The contact was able to reduce the speed by applying the brake with force. The failure was experienced a second time and the vehicle had to be shifted into neutral to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed but was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 53,000.

- West Allis , WI, USA

Apr 112012

Taurus 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck. The contact mentioned that he attempted to dislodge the pedal by kicking and pulling on the pedal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 40,000. Updated 6/20/12 the consumer has since traded the vehicle. Updated 06/22/12

- Howards Grove, WI, USA

Feb 182012

Taurus

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Taurus. The contact stated while the brakes were depressed the vehicle accelerated un-expectedly on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,700 and the current mileage was 36,927.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Jan 092012

Taurus 6-cyl

Over the past two months, (this has happened twice) while driving my 2008 Ford Taurus, the gas peddle stuck to the floor. It was almost like it accelerated as if I was resuming the cruise control button, however, I wasn't using my cruise at the time. I ended up riding the breaks for awhile until I finally had to put the car in neutral and turn the key off. When I turned the car back on it was still stuck. I physically had to reach down and pull the peddle up off the floor. The second time that it happened it did the same thing but then it quit after I turned the key off.

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Sep 072011

Taurus 6-cyl

It began with only the wrench light going on and the RPM would go up and the car would lurch forward. I would reset it with a code checker and I would not have the problem. The problem and the light would eventually return. It was recommended to change the air filter, the air filter was changed and the problem went away for approximately 3 weeks. Now not only my wrench light but my engine light also goes on and it returns every day after resetting it. After I looked up the problem on the internet I found that the problems seems to appear in other Ford models. I am very surprised that this is not a recall. This is a safety hazard and eventually someone will get hurt or killed before anything is done about this issue.

- Kirkland, IL, USA