2001 Ford Windstar brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Jun 012012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light came on and will not go off. Brakes have been checked by two different mechanics at different locations and they found no reason for the light to be on. Unable to reset.

- Waverly, TN, USA

Apr 292013

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light and brake light keeps coming on.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Apr 082009

Windstar 6-cyl

Brake and ABS warning lights are on. ABS inoperative due to ABS ebcm computer failure. Was quoted $1,000 from dealer to replace computer.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Nov 132012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake lights are constantly coming on. Took to the garage and they tell me it's the ABS module and cost is nearly $1000 to repair. I looked it up on the internet and this appears to be a very common problem with this year model which tells me that there is a problem with that part. I can't afford that right now. The garage told me the van will run with no problems, only when those lights come on, the ABS system will be disabled. I believe this should be considered a recall item because this is a problem with that particular part. There has to be a manufacturing problem with it for it to be so common.

- Robinson, TX, USA

May 152012

Windstar

Keep having brake & ABS lights coming on. I looked online trying to find a solution and was surprised at how many other Windstar owners were posting the same problem. I was trying to find a time and the money to take this in to have checked. I finally took my Windstar in to the shop today and they told me it was the ABS module. They said they understand this is a common problem with this vehicle. They said the van is still drivable, only when those lights come on, the ABS system will be disabled. The repair for this is almost $1,000 to replace the module. I believe it should be a recall issue because this happens so frequently.

- Robinson, TX, USA

Apr 122013

Windstar

ABS and brake lights have been off and on for years. Have had the brakes looked at many times and they are always said to be fine. Today, while driving along, the radio went off when I rolled up the window...thought that was strange so opened window....radio back on, closed window....radio off. Thankfully I was very close to home as the windows stopped opening and closing, radio shut off, odometer reading disappeared, clock lights disappeared. I made it to the driveway, turned it off and it did not turn back on. Came inside and started to search "2001 Ford Windstar ABS and brake lights on"......I'm appalled at how many complaints I have found. Husband and friend did a check and it may be the alternator....but after what I've read we will definitely be checking for fluid in the ABS control module. If it turns out it is the ABS control module (after reading the numerous complaints) I will be calling Ford to let them know what I think. For many, many years we let Ford service our van and I swear after each service we ended up with another problem within weeks of the service. I've not had trust in our local Ford dealership for a long time. Based on what I've read in the last 2 to 3 hours I am completely shocked and saddened that Ford hasn't stepped up and offered to rectify this problem. I love my Windstar! as long as we can be certain that it is still safe to drive we will keep it on the road. But when it is time.....we will never do business with Ford again.

- Monroe, NC, USA

Jul 152011

Windstar

The ABS light and brake light comes on and doesn't go off.

- Passaic, NJ, USA

Mar 152013

Windstar 6-cyl

Recently acquired by the car dealer 2001 Ford Windstar, I took it to a machine shop to check on the conditions that he was once replaced the bulbs burn front information panel of the driver's cab stayed lit informative signals "ABS" "braker" identifying a problem in the brake system I want to know how I can make a complaint to the company for this defect based on information you read right through the internet.

- Vega Baja, PR, USA

Mar 242012

Windstar 6-cyl

Illumination of the ABS and brake lights on the dash, they do not go out until vehicle is restarted, I have had the vehicle to several mechanics and none seem to be able to correct the issue. Recently the front brakes seem to be warped resulting in jerking motion while stopping, brakes and rotors just replaced 1 month ago.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 092013

Windstar

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that there was an unknown fluid leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the ABS module and brake booster were defective which caused a brake fluid leak. The dealer replaced the ABS module. The failure mileage was 93,850.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Jun 022012

Windstar

ABS and brake warning lights go on resulting in the inactivity of the antilock braking system. This is an intermittent problem resulting in a major braking safety issue.

- Weatogue, CT, USA

Apr 142012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS light comes on intermittently, even in summer with no adverse driving conditions. It stays on for varying lengths of time, then disappears for some time, then out of the blue comes back on. Braking a little bit harder than usual does seem to trigger it. Also, recently, the cruise control just suddenly stopped working. It worked fine one day, then all of a sudden, a day or two later, I hit on, but it refused to set. I tried again on another day and it still wouldn't set.

- Redford, MI, USA

Jun 152012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS brake lights keep coming on.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jun 202007

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS and brake light turns on usually when its wet outside or going over a big bump, mostly in the summer but lately in winter too. Sometimes when coming to a stop it also turns on. Turns off after engine restart but usually is back on again soon after.

- Oshkosh, WI, USA

Mar 122008

Windstar 6-cyl

The brake and ABS lights came on and stayed on. Since then they are off at times, but mostly on. Usually when the car starts up the warning lights are off, but come on after the car warms up.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 012009

Windstar 6-cyl

Intermittent illumination of ABS warning lamp and red brake system warning lamp during driving - no underlying brake system malfunction; also, ABS and brake system warning lamps occasionally remain on after start-up warning system check cycle.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Sep 212011

Windstar

The brake light and anti lock brake light and tri active lights keep coming on and staying on. I can restart my vehicle and they will stay off for a while but eventually come back on. Going into winter am worried about antilock brake system not working.

- Roosevelt, UT, USA

Jan 142011

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS & brake warning lights come on seemingly randomly. Braking distance compromised. Believe it to be a faulty ABS control module - no covered by a Ford recall.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Oct 152012

Windstar 6-cyl

ABS ECM failure - ABS brake light on (intermittently) as well as the brake light (intermittently) and check engine light (permanently).

- Eugene, OR, USA

Oct 072011

Windstar

Vans ABS light and brake light come on together affecting braking performance.

- Christiansburg, VA, USA