2001 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Windstar:

2001 Ford Windstar Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Apr 272011

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 12V194000 (suspension). The contact noticed corrosion in the engine cradle and sway bar mounting after the recall repair was performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jan 302013

Windstar 6-cyl

I heard loud clunking sounds in the front that were more pronounced when I went over bumps. The sway bar has broken off from the front sub-frame passenger side of the car. The dealer said the sub-frame is so rusted that the only way to reattach the sway bar is to replace the entire front sub-frame at a cost of $3,500. It is not covered under previous recalls, since the prior 2 recalls in 2010 and 2011 only specifically covered the rear axle and the separation of the front lower control arms attaching brackets and body mount attachments at the rear of the front sub-frame. This problem is so similar to the Jan. 2011 recall w/a part breaking off from a rusted sub-frame. It's the corrosion of the sub-frame that is at the root of these problems. They should have just replaced the sub-frame at that time instead of doing a patch job w/ brackets. The dealer deemed my car unsafe to drive, as I won't have control of my car on quick turns or be able to make fast maneuvers in the event of an accident or to avoid potential accidents. Another risk is that my engine may fall out the bottom of my car while driving (which I see has happened to others with my same problem), endangering my family and others on the road. I plan on parking this car in my driveway and waiting for Ford to be forced to recall these vehicles. In the meantime, if any of you have a similar problem, please report them to Ford corporation and the NHTSA, so what I believe to be an inevitable recall will be expedited. Even the Ford customer service rep encouraged me to file a report with the NHTSA because she has gotten calls with other similar complaints. She was very sympathetic to my situation but said there is nothing she can do until enough complaints get filed with the NHTSA so they open an investigation. What happened to companies wanting to help their customers w/O being forced by a governmental Agency?!

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

Jan 102013

Windstar 6-cyl

The rear axle, is rusted and snapped literally right in half while driving with my two young children! we were lucky enough not to have been seriously hurt or in an accident!

- Midland, MI, USA

Jan 182013

Windstar 6-cyl

I took the van in for service and I was told the right front sway bar could not be re-attached because of excessive rust. My mechanic mentioned he thought there was a recall for this but I never received one. Is there anything I can do about it now?

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Dec 312012

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph in snowy conditions, the vehicle began to slide and veer to the left. The contact moved the vehicle to the shoulder to inspect the vehicle and noticed that the front axle had failed and the passenger front tire was leaning inward in the wheel well. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V194000 (suspension:front:control arm). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Oct 292012

Windstar 6-cyl

Just 18-months after the Ford Windstar safety recall repairs were completed, the front sub-frame of my 2001 Ford Windstar cracked resulting in loss of stability. The vehicle was taken to the Ford dealership in midland Michigan. It was deemed unsafe to drive by the Ford dealership service manager and repair technician.

- Mattawan, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Windstar 6-cyl

I took my vehicle for a recall for the rear axle a year ago and they sprayed some sealer on it and said it was good to go. So now the axle is cracked, and ready to snap. What should I do" also there is a recall on the brake pressure deactivation switch on my vehicle which is leaking brake fluid on the wiring harness. I shouldn't be driving it, but I need to get to boston. Again what can I do about this"

- Berkley, MA, USA

Aug 162012

Windstar 6-cyl

Making a left turn, heard a loud bang. The sway bar link came loose attached to a chunk of rusted metal from the subframe. The sway bar and link are fine. It is a part of the subframe where it attaches to that came off. There is no way to reattach the sway bar as the whole section where it attaches to subframe is rusted. Called Ford dealer in ithaca, this is not covered by their recalls.

- Ithaca , NY, USA

Aug 022012

Windstar 6-cyl

I was driving home when I went around a corner I heard a thump in the front passenger side of my Windstar, the following morning I took it into my mechanic. He looked the vehicle over and told me the sub frame has rusted out where the stabilizer bar connects. This issue was supposed to have been addressed by Ford the previous year when they had it in for the rear axle recall. I find Ford had made the decision to put some useless brackets in and not replace the sub-frame. I called customer care concerning the problem and was told there was only a year warranty on the work so there was nothing they could do as I had picked up the van end of April /beginning of May 2011. A recall was issued for this problem and quite evidently their fix with some little brackets did not repair the issue, I am not sure how some brackets are suppose to correct a rusting out sub frame to begin with.

- Columbia Station, OH, USA

Jul 182012

Rear axel broke.

- Hastings, MN, USA

Jul 312012

Today returning home from Wisconsin me and my family was almost killed, it was a 4 hr drive of tollways of speeds of 65-70, when we were coming to a rural stop( thank god) when we heard a loud thud and smoke, lost control of van, pulled van to shoulder where upon examination of van seen rear axle split in half...thank god we just got off tollway- of 70 mph driving, had 2 kids in car, and my brother, stranded miles from home....all these vehicles should be taking off the roads B4 more people are hurt or killed I am still upset over the incident of cheating death, and hope this don't happen to any body else...

- Peru, IN, USA

Jul 082012

Windstar 6-cyl

On Sunday July 8th, 2012 I was driving my 2001 Ford Windstar I stopped at a light and as the light changed I began driving and then heard a loud noise, my wheels began to squeel and pull all over and my van came to a complete stop in the road and would not move.. the front passenger side wheel was turned outward but my wheel was straight. Thank god I was not on an expressway or highway with all my kids in the vehicle.. I called a tow truck the driver inspected it and said something underneath the front frame had snapped off.. so today I had it towed into a Ford dealer to find out it is a new recall how can these Windstar vans have so many frame and axle issues and be safe to drive exspecially with all these brackets they are having to put on them for the recalls.. if I was on an expressway me and my son would of been hurt badly if not killed.. not to mention if I would of hit someone else I could of injured others too..I will never trust another Windstar with my family this is crazy.. it is the subframe front lower control arm rear attaching flages completely broke/snapped off while I was driving down a basic 40 mph road..when it broke it messed up the underneath of my vehicle it ripped the drive shaft right out of the transmission.. and who knows what else is damaged now.. people need to know about this now before someone is seriously hurt..

- Wayne, MI, USA

Sep 012011

Windstar 6-cyl

This vehicle has been ruining every front tire put on it ever since the recall front subframe work was done on it by Ford in 9/2011 and it has been through 2 sets of front tires in the last 4,500 miles since the work was done. Ford does not acknowledge any responsibility and the last dealer who looked at it told me I needed tires. No kidding. The last time I took it to Firestone to get tires, they told me they wouldn't touch it and that I needed to take it to a body shop; the specs were so off. The dealer that did the original work redocumented the car's problems 3 times but the manufacturer refused to buy it back and they did the work on it the best they could and this is what I am left with: An unsafe vehicle. I had a blow out on interstate 95 on christmas eve that could have taken my life and another blow out since then at a slower speed (thank god!) I need help nailing Ford to the wall on this and making them be responsible for risking my safety and I am sure that I am not the only one. I wonder if other people have been hurt or lost their lives over this"? over a few dollars?" Ford needs to be made to admit they did not protect their customers properly. I wonder if it all comes down to avoiding liability for people that have been injured. Please help me.

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Jun 012012

Front sub-frame badly rusted and sway bar welded mounts on the sub-frame have rusted and broken in half causing poor steering control and excessive body roll. As a note, this vehicle was rustproofed when new and inspected over the life of the vehicle each year. Also, Ford has inspected the front sub-frame in January of 2011 on a recall and it appears did not find a problem with the sub-frame in this area. Given the severity of the rust it would appear the problem existed at the time of inspection.

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

May 112012

Windstar 6-cyl

At a major intersection getting onto a highway our subframe gave out and we came to a screeching halt & a dead stop. The entire subframe under the passengers side of the van rotted and the wheel was up against the frame of the car. It could have caused a major accident. It cost us $1,500.

- Lynn, FL, USA

May 122012

Windstar 6-cyl

Our rear axle has sheared in half three times. The third time (after they admitted a recall) we were 40 miles from home when it broke, Ford told us there was nothing they could do since it was a Saturday. We were forced to drive it home on the interstate, as a family of 6 in a town with no rental places we had no choice. Ford put their "patch kit" on my recalled axle last year, and it failed. Now they have given me a 1992 Sable as a rental while my van is in the shop. My family can't fit in it, and my children can't even fasten their seatbelts in it, and one of my children has to sit in the front seat with the airbag. They told me there's nothing they can do. My subframe is under recall, as well as the control arms and body mounts. Fords fix for this is to patch them like they did my axle, which broke. Now I am stuck with a ticking time bomb and four children. Fords bandaids for these devestating failures only buys them a few months time, and puts lives at risk. My front end clicks when I turn, my tires rubbed all the way home on the broken axle, the transmission leaks horribly, the undercarriage is rusted and rotted beyond repair, and all these admitted faulty parts are being patched and sent out the door. I dont feel safe driving my kids around in this! and im being told my choices are buy a new van at my expense, or drive this one and take a chance!!

- Bethany, MO, USA

Apr 062012

Windstar 6-cyl

The rear suspension had been making noise for a few days. Visual inspection didn't show anything obvious. Backing out of the driveway the rear axel snapped in half approximately 18 inches from the drivers side tire.

- Lexington, VA, USA

Mar 292012

Windstar 6-cyl

I currently keep getting grunting/popping/moaning noise from the front suspension when turning -braking-starting to move car forward. Already replaced the sway bar links and bushings but the noise still comes and goes. Also my brake-&-ABS lights comes on and off for no reason. And the locks on the doors work when they want too. Just had inspection done again 3 weeks ago but they can not find the problems. Talk with Ford about the noise to try to find out if there is any danger of a crash because of this and I keep getting the run around.

- Smithfield, PA, USA

Mar 182012

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Windstar. The contact stated that while the vehicle was inspected by a local mechanic, the contact was advised that the front sway bar was fractured due to corrosion. The manufacturer was contact but denied assistance with the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 121,000.

- Garrettsville , OH, USA

Mar 152012

Windstar 6-cyl

Complete separation of the front lower control arm attaching bracket from the front sub frame on the passenger side of the vehicle. This is the same problem that is described in the NHTSA recall no. 11V030. And Ford recall no. 11S16. The dealer that inspected the vehicle said it was not covered by the recall because the vehicle was not purchased or registered in a (salt-belt) state.

- Placentia, CA, USA