2007 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Acadia:

2007 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Apr 242013

Car will not accelerate, engine just revs and rpms increase to 5000+ when attampting to change from third to fourth gear. Thankfully, I was on a road less traveled and did not get smashed in the back with my son in the back seat on the highway. What a safety hazard!

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Apr 182013

Acadia 6-cyl

Would not go into reverse, would not exceed 20 mph in drive, RPM's spiked to 4000, check engine light comes on, erratic driving because of the condition, web search reveals numerous incidents of same type involving breaking wave plate failure.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Jan 242013

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission on our '07 Acadia went out after only 67,000 miles. We had to pay over $3,000 out of our own pockets to get it repaired because it was over the five year warranty period even though it was still well under the mileage limit. When you pay over $30,000 for a vehicle you expect it to last longer than ours did without having to pay thousands more to keep it operational. A few months after getting the drive train repaired we are experiencing camshaft/crankshaft issues. The vehicle is functioning at about 60% of its original power. We can only assume that this will entail another costly repair.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 042013

Acadia 6-cyl

Engine light on vehicle, the vehicle will not shift into gear - happened three times had to pull off side of road to not get hit from other vehicles and 5 year old was also in car with me. Had to shut off the car multiple times to get started again and for it to finally shift into gears. Took car to dealer and they replaced transmission control module valve. On 4/1/13 car would not go into reverse on incline. Had to drive forward and reverse on flat area, dealer now says they found broken wave plate and burned 3-5 reverse clutch. Also found internal defect park of valve body. Car is only 5 years old and has only 55 thousand miles on it. Saw other issues on this database all with broken wave plates on 07 Acadias. Paid thousands of dollars to get this fixed.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 032013

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle would not accelerate over 40 mph. In addition, the gear shifter could not be moved into reverse. The check engine warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was taken to dealer for inspection and the contact was advised that the transmission needed to be replaced. The transmission was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The failure and current mileage was 87,400.

- Covington, LA, USA

Mar 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

After spending $370.51 at my local GMC dealer for stabilitrak errors resulting in low fuel input into the engine, with a maximum speed allowable at 35 mph, my 2007 GMC Acadia is once again experiencing stabilitrak errors. They generally occur when I roll to a stop at a stopsign or stoplight, but I am very concerned that the transmission will reduce speed when I travel the interstate. My local GMC dealer claimed this problem was caused by a "cam exhaust position sensor fault" and replaced the "cam exhaust position sensor" on 3-20-13 for $370.51. For one week this repair worked and there were no stabilitrak errors. Ten days later, my 2007 GMC Acadia fwd is worse than ever, endangering me at night by shifting suddenly into "stabilitrak error, low fuel input" mode. I am terrified that my GMC dealer will charge me more money to pretend-fix this problem, as they have me coming in for $400-$1,100 repairs every other month now since they want to sell me a new car.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Mar 122013

Acadia 6-cyl

No previous symptoms. Could not get the vehicle to go in reverse. Got towed to the dealer. Diagnosis - wave plate fracture. Found many many 2007 GMC Acadia's had this problem, there should have been a recall. This happened 1 year after the warranty expired, but only 74419 miles, and never driven in extreme conditions and never towed.

- Methuen, MA, USA

Jan 022012

Acadia 6-cyl

No recall for defective transmissions? bought 2007 acadiar used, 2600 miles /felt transmission problems early on. Very noticeable jerk at 40mph. In and out of dealership since. Last few months car has been in to dealer frequently re car bucking at stop lights really rough thought engine going to die. Every time nothing showed in codes, emergency trip to doctor/heavy traffic main artery/can't get over 20mph/engine screaming/ make it to dr. (omg) towed to dealership. Transmission gone. I could have had a serious accident. Finally heard something about a wave plate. For 5 yrs I've said something wrong. No one said these were constant problems with Acadias. They issued recalls for a leak in the sun roof. No recall for defective transmissions" known defective wave plates" I have extended warranty, but many don't. warranty or not, this safety hazard should be fixed by GMC at their expense. A recall is mandated. Just ask the owners...

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Oct 122012

Acadia 6-cyl

I was driving my car when all of a sudden it wouldn't accelerate above (20mph?). I was forced to park it at an apartment complex and get it towed to the dealer. Now less than 6 months after paying out of pocket for that repair, I am having the same problem.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jan 142013

Acadia 6-cyl

Started shifting weird, then RPM's would spike as car was shifting. Car then would not go into any gear and left stranded on side of road. Had to have vehicle towed to dealership where it was found to have a broken wave plate, damaging numerous gears and torque converter. Pressure control module which is part of the valve body was bad. Had to replace entire transmission, all seals, gaskets. Also found out when replacing that the thermostat housing was leaking coolant, so had to have that replaced at same time. This at a cost to us of over $3500. Have read online that this is a very common issue with this vehicle. We were 7 months out of our 5 year/100,000 mile warranty and GM would not help in the least.

- Kalona, IA, USA

Jan 312013

I have owned this car for about a year and since I have owned it have had nothing but problems. First the struts were blown, the dash lights would go from bright to dim, the steering wheel made a clicking noise, the windows leak...this car only has 41,000 miles I mean come on! now the transmission has completely failed and after reading other websites it sounds like I will be paying $4,000 dollars. I am a new mom and have 3 step kids. I can't feel safe in my car because I'm worried about it breaking down constantly. Now I have to dump all this money that I don't have into it. I really just want to cut my losses, but is that really the best thing to do? I'm stuck with this junker car and I couldn't feel more sorry for all these other people having the same issues. I'm absolutely miserable. Thanks GMC you suck.

- Juneau, AK, USA

Jan 222013

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle has about 50,000 miles but a few months out of warranty and started giving me problem shifting gear. Researched the problem and found a lot of similar complaints out there but GM is refusing to take responsibility and making owners pay to fix the problem. Transmission is defective.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 172011

Acadia 6-cyl

2007 GMC Acadia. Consumer writes in regards to problems with the vehicle headlights and the transmission. The consumer stated on December 17, 2011, the left headlight burned up for no apparent reason. The local dealer quoted him $1,213.59. He was able to get the headlight fixed for$ $695.67. On December 2, 2012 the transmission failed. The consumer had a rebuilt transmission installed at a cost of $ $3,737.25.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Jan 172013

Prior to having the transmission break down the vehicle had been shifting hard from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. Starting up a small grade from a stand still the transmission suddenly began slipping at about 20mph. The vehicle would not shift and the engine light came on. I was only about 1 mile from home so I drove it home at about 25mph. At home I put it in reverse and it would not go into reverse. Took it to a transmission shop the next day, they called me back later that day and told me it needed a new transmission. They are doing the job for $3200.

- Indio, CA, USA

Dec 052012

3 months past the 5 year 100K warranty with only 55000 miles on the car and both the water pump and transmission went out. GM paid for half of the costs still $1253.05 out of pocket when it should all have been covered. This is a consistent problem with the Acadia and GM knows it but refuses to step up. The day the transmission went out we almost got thrown through the windshield definitely a safety issue.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jan 212013

Acadia 6-cyl

I bought this vehicle June 2012. I started having transmission problems last week. The transmission would stick when stepping on the gas or when going in reverse into my garage. I found over 200 complaints about the transmission. This should be a recall item. I was driving on the highway trying to get up a hill when the car started to do this. I luckily was not far from my exit and made it to a gas station when the car just stopped.

- Lansdowne, VA, USA

Jan 082013

The vehicle would not shift out of 2nd gear going down the highway. The check engine light came on, and there are now four codes all for internal transmission issues. The car is 4 months past the 5 year warranty, but only 64000 miles. This is a huge safety issue. If this transmission fails while on an interstate highway, and it will not go over 20 mph, the results could be deadly. By researching this issue I have found a considerable amount of complaints about 2007 GMC Acadias between 50000 and 80000 miles having transmission failures, but yet no recalls. This is an issue that GMC is well aware of, through their own admissions. Why is there such a delay waiting for a recall" are all of the complaints going to have to wait for a fatality before GMC admits there needs to be corrective actions"

- Wheatfield, IN, USA

Jul 082008

Acadia 6-cyl

The car has had electrical and engine problems since we purchased it due to water leaks from a flawed sunroof design. Even after a recall to fix the sunroof to prevent water leaks; it continues to leak and damage electrical and engine systems. This is an ongoing problem and is a widespread concern for the 2007-2008 GMC Acadias. I would like someone to investigate this problem. I believe it is a safety concern because the leaks occur in the area where there are airbags. I think there is a structural defect that may not be able to be repaired and it presents a safety hazard for all who drive these vehicles. Please investigate this problem. Do not let GMC sweep this under the rug!

- Gustine, CA, USA

Dec 182012

Acadia 6-cyl

While traveling at 45 mph, and with no warning (weird shifting, etc) the transmission completely failed. After being lied to by the dealership and GM, I did my own research and found that this is a common problem with this model year, so much so that GM has created a special program to fund part of the repair if the vehicle is out of warranty. (wave plate failure in the transmission). This vehicle should be recalled with a mandatory replacement of the wave plate.

- Matthews , NC, USA

Dec 122012

My 2007 GMC Acadia's first started having transmission problems in December of 2012. The vehicle started having issues while trying to merge onto the highway or depressing the gas pedal for a passing and/or merging purposes, this would somehow revert into a neutral position, having the rpms rev up and no forward motion, until it's sort of caught up itself by backing off on the accelerator. The other issue involved putting the automobile into reverse, not only at times it wouldn't go into reverse but instead would revert to a neutral position, until you started all over again with the process of putting it back into park and then back into reverse. Never was there a light nor a warning by the cars sensors or any other symptoms that would give an owner a warning that there would be a problem coming soon. In any event, after having the symptoms described above the car somehow dropped into first gear and cannot shift from that position and finally, the transmission light came on. At the moment, I am in the process of filing a complaint with GM and at the advice of the GM representative, they advise me to have the dealership look into the situation. In my opinion, this is a very dangerous situation. Seeing all the same complaints on the internet leads me to believe that there should be a further discussion on the transmission of the 2007 GMC Acadia. Thank you

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA