2007 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Acadia:

2007 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Dec 032012

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the transmission failed and the vehicle would not accelerate any further. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but provided no assistance.the failure mileage was 73,000.

- Trafalgar, IN, USA

Nov 232012

I have a 2007 GMC Acadia the transmission is slipping. The dealer told me is a valve body inside transmission, need to replaced whole transmission don't have warranty so the amount is $2600 just the transmission no labor. Now I was reading and there's many cases like this they are saying the parts they used to build trans are made in china that's why there slipping and having trouble with it. Need U guys to check on this power train problem before some one gets hurt while driving it is dangerous. My wife was driving with my boys inside every single one of them got scared and say that they don't like this truck no more thank you.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 032012

Acadia 6-cyl

We were leaving my sons basketball game tonight and when we went to enter the interstate the tachometer went to 5000 RPM's and the vehicle was not moving. As I am setting along the interstate with vehicles hammering by me at 75mps I tried to go again. To no aval the vehcle would not move. I called a tow truck, moved my wife, 11 year old son and 16 year old son over the guard rail to safety. The transmission is bad, along with all the others posted on the internet. What gives" this vehicle has 88,000 miles on it and im told GM wont fix it because th 5 years is up on the warranty. What does 5 years have to do with anything when this is happening everywhere to this particular vehicle?"

- Corning, NY, USA

Nov 082012

Acadia 6-cyl

Manufacturer defect to transmission.

- Lutz, FL, USA

Apr 252011

Transmission dead-racing RPM without gear shifting, broken wave plate inside transmission is the cause. Water leaking from sunroof when raining, constant whinning in steering column. All these major problems under 75K miles.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 052012

My wife and my son was driving to work on the expressway 826;at the exit ;making a turn; the car pull hard the wheel and it keep the defect. I had to pay the mechanic for change the pump but car has a noise and the wheel hard in interval.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Oct 212012

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission went completely out while driving on I-79 4 hours from home, while driving the speed limit of 60-65mph, had to push car out of road, towed car to a dealership that we did not know, was told the transmission was completely gone and had to be replaced at a replacement cost of $3600. Had to rent a car to get back home in which cost $275, went looking into this matter found over 90 pages of complaints on

- Forest, VA, USA

Jun 072012

Acadia 6-cyl

While accelerating vehicle started to shake between 30-40 mph. Shaking subsides at around 45 mph. This started around May 2012 with 99,000 miles on the car. Took the car to the dealer to have it checked out because I though it was the transmission. They thought the tires needed to be rotated and balanced, which did not fix the problem. By 106,000 miles it was so bad that the vehicle could not be driven safely. This time the dealership said it was the motor mounts, which did not fix the problem. I had them keep the car until they found the problem. After 2 weeks they determined that it was the transmission! after the transmission was replaced the vehicle drives great. I have read hundreds of complaints on the Acadia transmission and there are likely tens of thousands of cases just like mine. There should be a recall for the transmission on this vehicle.

- Jacksons Gap, AL, USA

Oct 202012

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph the vehicle started to slow down without any warning and after a few minutes it started to speed back up. The vehicle was later towed to a dealer for diagnosis. After diagnosis they advised her that the transmission has failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileage was approximately 86,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Upper Sandusky, OH, USA

Oct 022012

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission failure causing car to go to 1st gear and dramatically reduce speed in traffic. Seems to be transmission wave plate.

- Maryville, IL, USA

Sep 272012

9/27 as I was driving in a residential neighborhood to take my daughter to school I was approaching a green light at a four way and started to accelerate to 35 mph from a complete stop to cross four lanes of traffic. The vehicle reached 35 mph and although the speedometer stated 35mph the vehicle stopped moving and stalled and started making a churning noise coming from the engine. At this point my front end was in traffic under the light that was now turning red so I had to think quick and put on my flashers to alert the other drivers that I was having difficulties as I couldn't get the truck to move. When I pressed the gas pedal the engine just roared but no movement. Once other drivers were alerted I had to coast backwards from the incline at the light and maneuver onto the side of the road. I turned the truck back on and it came on and miraculously I was able to drive it 5ft off the road before it stalled again. I had to be towed to a dealer as of today I was told it was the transmission but the dealer had to contact GMC to report all major engine failure before proceeding with any work. Last year in Dec. My truck started making whining noise and I immediately took it to the dealer to find out that the camshaft had went bad and spit metal in my motor causing me to have the engine replaced. Because I was the second owner of the vehicle GM didn't want to pay for the total bill under the powertrain warranty and the fact that I was 3000 miles over the powertrain warranty itself. They did pay a third of a $5000 bill and I had to pay the rest only to have them place a recall on the camshaft and to reimburse me half of what I paid. This situation with the transmission reminds me of the rollover with the Firestone tire Ford had years back but the difference is that Ford and Firestone took responsibility. Please make GM responsible before someone is killed.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Sep 092012

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission went on vehicle with daughter behind the wheel.

- North Tonawanda, NY, USA

Sep 152012

My transmission went out after 58,000 miles and 5 years and 5 months. So I am over my warranty by 5 months and am out $3300. In doing some research, there seems be an abnormally high incident of transmission failures on the 2007 GMC Acadia. Some bloggers indicate that the Acadia models have big issues before the 2010 model. Is there a systematic issue that GMC needs to address or am I just unlucky?

- Plano, TX, USA

Aug 142012

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the transmission failed and the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled. Also, the contact mentioned that he had to disconnect the battery and reconnected it in order to reset the system. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Aug 082012

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission wave plate fails causing highly erratic shifting and abrupt vehicle speed control. Rapid deceleration while underway in traffic. Very dangerous.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 282012

Basically bottom line is this is the 4th major thing I've had my Acadia in the shop for. This repair of a rebuilt transmission is costing me $3500 out of my pocket. Supposedly the GM customer rep does not think there is anything they can do for me because my car is 5 years old and 131000 miles.. that is just bs!!!!! I spent $40,000 on this car to drive it longer than this and for all the things to start nickel and dimming me is ridiculous. The mechanic at the GM certified garage told me that GM used a prt in the transmission on the 07-10 models of the Acadia that cost them 1.69 and that they know they should have used a part that cost them $39, so this is the part that is breaking in the transmissions and making them junk and having to be rebuilt or new ones put it.. GM didn't want to recall the 07-10 models because it would have affected millions of cars, so they are just letting the owners suffer for their stupidity and lack of responsibility. My biggest complaint after the money is the fact the my child was driving my vehicle when this happened, he was panicked as he could not go over 30mph on a very busy road and the vehicle started to shut down on him!! he is very lucky the vehicle made it to a safe place and he was not rear ended as the car just stopped on him!!! really GM when are you going to recall these models and make it right for all of us that have to encounter such a high expense?? I really can not afford another vehicle or the $3500 to repair this one, but that is my only choice!!!!

- Marblehead, OH, USA

Aug 032012

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission failed to shift into 3rd gear from 2nd gear. Has done this a lot of times for no reason at all. Became a hazard when we were accelerating onto a freeway and the car would not go into gear properly.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Jul 272012

My transmission has to be replaced at 131,000 miles and a cost of over $3400 out of my pocket. Well here I am again... this is the third major thing that has happened to my 2007 Acadia.. I had to have all new timing chains put on 103,000 miles, had to have my service tire sensor fixed at 112,000 miles, I have done all the re-calls for the sun-roof leak, the heated windshield fluid, and whatever else hs been re-called on this vehicle!!! my 17 year old son was driving my car in heavy traffic on a major highway when the car just stopped and then he could only get it to go 30 mph. He is lucky he was not rear ended. I took it to the dealer, it will not go over 30 mph and reverse. I spoke with the head mechanic at the GM garage that is putting a new transmission in my Acadia at the cost of $3400 to me, and he told me that all the 2007-2010 Acadia's have a part in the transmission that cost GM $1.69 instead of using the part they should have used that would have cost them $39. He said GM know they should have recalled all the 2070-2010 Acadia's but chose not too because it would have been millions of vehicles involved, so instead "thank you GM" for screwing all of us and now we have to pay for your mistake and cut backs....

- Marblehead, OH, USA

Aug 042012

Acadia 6-cyl

The vehicle started over revving while changing from 1st to 2nd gear, slowing down in busy traffic. There were many in traffic who were blowing their horns and swerving to avoid my vehicle, which at the time contained my wife and three small children. The following day, the vehicle would not go into any gear. Fortunately when the transmission failed, I was on a private road with minimal traffic.

- Mills River, NC, USA

Jul 302012

While driving, the vehicle started skipping/catching while accelerating and the temperature gauge started to creep up. I entered a left turn lane in order to pull over. When traffic cleared I attempted to accelerate to make it into the parking lot. Warning bells started going off "shut off engine" "shut off A/C" "enging overheat" and the truck shut off. I had picked up enough momentum as I had begun my turn but it was still literally a coast into the parking lot, narrowly avoiding a T-bone situation with an oncoming mini van. It was so close the mini-van laid on the horn and slammed on her brakes. I coasted into the parking lot but was unable to make it into a spot. I took out my keys and opened my door to get out. The alarms continued even without keys in it. There was antifreeze pouring out from underneath the vehicle. I had to turn on and off the car no less than three times to stop the warning bells. I called a local shop and had it towed. They replaced the water pump and A/C belt. Got my vehicle back two days later. Drove to work in the morning with no issues, however coming home it started to catch/skip again. (I live only 5 miles away from work). I had my husband drive it back up to the shop to have it looked at. When he got into it he was unable to reverse it; reverse just simply stopped working. He had to turn around in our yard - on the way to the shop (6 miles away) the vehicle would not go over 30 mph and again shut off on him while trying to turn into the auto shop. The diagnosis now is that it needs a new transmission. Upon further online research I have found thousands of other owners of the same model/make and year with the exact same issues occurring roughly around the same mileage/time frame. There are three other Acadias alone at our local GM dealership waiting to be fixed with the exact same issues.

- Lexington Park, MD, USA