2007 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 GMC Acadia:

2007 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jul 122013

While making a turn during a rain storm the engine belt began to squeal and I subsequently lost power steering and the battery warning light came on. I was able to get the vehicle to the side of the road without incident until the power steering came back. I've had this happen several times during rain events since I've owned the vehicle. It appears to occur when excessive water gets onto the drive belt controlling the engine and power steering unit.

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Feb 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

The vehicle has two problems. The radio works, but there is no sound for the back up warning, turn signals or radio. This problem occurs in the GMC Acadia, Chevrolet traverse and the Buick enclave. The problem is likely the premature failure of the BCM or the amp. When driven in the rain, the power steering fails momentarily and it is very difficult to control the vehicle.

- Troy, MI, USA

Apr 232013

After traveling 160 miles and exiting the freeway the power steering was inoperable stopped to check fluid was full. Steering is fine as long as the car is above 20 mph. Stopped at small town shop, mechanic informed me that this is nothing new with this car. And that GMC has plenty of changes when replacing the system both pump and rack as well as different fluid but would not help me with any cost. For what is worth the NHTSA knows all about this problem would not hold my breath on them doing anything about the problem until this car is fully loaded with eight people and they all are killed then they will wake up!

- West Valley, UT, USA

Feb 152008

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the power steering pump and the gear assembly would have to be replaced. After the repair, the contact noticed a whining noise in the steering. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where she was informed the power steering gear, pump and hose would have to be replaced due to a power steering fluid leak. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000....updated 05/29/13 the consumer stated the failure recurred. The pump and gear assembly were replaced April. 2013. Updated 06/11/2013

- Mexico, IN, USA

Apr 252011

Transmission dead-racing RPM without gear shifting, broken wave plate inside transmission is the cause. Water leaking from sunroof when raining, constant whinning in steering column. All these major problems under 75K miles.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Sep 222010

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph and attempting a right turn, the steering wheel would not return to the original straight position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they stated that the wheel well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified and stated that he needed to the vehicle to the dealer for further diagnosis. The failure mileage was 50,000

- University Heights, OH, USA

Oct 012008

Acadia 6-cyl

Low beam headlights go out. I've also taken the vehicle in many times for noise in the steering column. Eventually, I lose my power steering. Everytime, they tell me there is a leak or steering gear problem and it has been repaired but it continues to happen. Im taking it in for the 4th or 5th time now to repair the squeak in the steering. This vehicle is 5 years old and its been in the shop more than any other car that I have owned.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jul 292012

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving in moderate rain around a corner at approximately 25mph. The steering wheel locked up for 1-2 seconds almost causing a crash with my two children in the vehicle. This has happened several times since I bought the vehicle 2 years ago. I brought it to the dealer and the put a new piece inside the wheel well but it has not fixed the problem. It recently happened to my wife in the same circumstances which almost caused a head on collision with another vehicle. The children were in the vehicle at the time.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

May 012012

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering stops working for 5 to 10 seconds after making a turn through water often no more than a few inches in depth. Usually occurs during or after rain, when water has accumulated at intersection corners or resident/business entrances. When this occurs, it becomes almost impossible to change the direction the vehicle is traveling in and has almost resulted in an accident twice so far.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Mar 012008

Acadia 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

03/01/2008 - 16,000 I wasn't able to steer, power steering is completely out on the middle of the road 12/01/2008 - 32,000 - misfire in the 2 engine cylinders and was making lot of noise, dealer took 5 weeks to fix the problem 06/01/2009 - 41,000 issue with the engine making noise at start, had to make multiple trips to the dealer 06/01/2011 - 66,000 water pump leaking 03/01/2012 - 72,000 brake control failure 06/29/2012 - 76,000 broken wave plates, evaporater solenoid, and transmission failure most of these issues are very common in this model, GMC need to recall and fix once for all rather than waiting on the issue to happen on each vehicle.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 092012

Acadia 6-cyl

On two separate occasions in rainy weather I was unable to steer my car and turn it because water had gotten on the belts and belts were slipping and I had no power steering to control the car. I was told at the dealership that I needed to have both front inner wheel well front covers replaced. This would eliminate water getting on the pulleys and eliminate the slippage of the belts that run the power steering. I later found out that there was a technical bulletin out to correct this condition. I had to pay for this work that was done which I felt should be covered by GMC as I feel it is a safety issue. I almost hit two other vehicles as a result of my not being able to steer my car and that was quite scary. I would not want this to happen to anyone else with this model car.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jun 042012

Acadia 6-cyl

In the rain or during wet road conditions the serpentine belt gets wet due to it's location at the bottom of the engine compartment. When this occurs the belt starts to slip causing an intermittent squealing and intermittent lose of steering control.

- Wanaque, NJ, USA

Apr 042012

The contact owns a 2007 GMC Acadia. While driving 60 mph, the contact noticed that the power steering had suddenly stopped functioning. The vehicle had not been diagnosed and had not been repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 100,000.

- Akron, AL, USA

Mar 152012

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering went out completely with absolutely no warning while driving my child to school. Luckily I was not in a vehicle accident. This has happend to me twice already for this vehicle. Both power steering and rack and pinion have gone out while driving and has been replaced twice by GMC in the past 9 months!

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Mar 082012

Acadia 6-cyl

There has been a whine in my steering column on my 2007 GMC Acadia. Yesterday I was driving along a 2 lane road going into a sharp curve. I was turning my steering column to the right towards the curve, but the steering column made a loud noise and would not respond almost causing me to hit head on into an incoming car on the opposite side of the road. The car finally did respond and a wreck avoided, but that is not the point. There are numerous forums about this particular thing happening to other GMC Acadias as well. The power steering going out is definitely a safety hazard and is not covered under their 100,000 mile warranty. I took my car to a auto repair shop and they indicated that the power steering pump was indeed leaking and needed replacement. These "incidents" need to be addressed and a recall put in place immediately on the Acadia. The dealership has not wanted to take care of anything under warranty unless my VIN matched the one on a particular recall even when I was having the exact problems in the recall.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

Jan 122012

Wow what a shock another gcm Acadia with steering problems! I was turning a few days ago and my steering wheel locked up and it actually felt like I lost a lot of power when this happened like it was going to stall. I nearly crashed into another car because of this. It isnt a constant problem but it occurs probably 75% of the times I turn and my turns are super wide now. I cannot park on the first try which is ridiculous it takes me now 3 or 4 tries to park in a space at work. I feel like im driving my dads 1965 Chevy that didnt come with power steering. Why hasnt this been recalled"? are you waiting for someone to get killed because they couldnt turn fast enough??" thats negligence!! I found hundreds of different complaints about this same problem online and nothing has been done!! fix this please!

- Rawlins, WY, USA

Nov 122011

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2007 GMC Acadia has always had very poor traction on wet roads and sometimes on dry roads. Yesterday I was driving on the freeway in heavy rain when the steering wheel suddenly jerked to the right as though my right front tire had run over a large object. A few minutes later it jerked right then left then right again. Each time the steering wheel would lock for an instant. I found myself partly over in the other lane. A very dangerous situation. I didn't notice any warning lights. This problem occurred twice more before I realized that it seemed to be happening only on upsloping parts of the road or when I tried to accelerate. As I had always suspected, the traction control system on this car is faulty and dangerous. Faulty power steering cold also be a possibility. I tried to drive home at a steady speed and had no further problems. About a year ago I told my local GMC dealer that I thought the car had very poor traction and the system should be looked at. They told me they checked it out and there was no problem.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Sep 292010

Acadia 6-cyl

On several occasions when the car goes through water/puddle the vehicle loses power steering. There is a loss of steering. On some occasions the loss is momentary but the last time it was more than momentary - while having gone through a small puddle of water and then going to make a left turn the steering completely failed and I was unable to complete a turn.

- River Vale, NJ, USA

Apr 192011

I have a 2007 GMC Acadia with 59,000 miles on it. At 29,000 miles on it, they replaced the power steering pump. Now at 59,000 they are saying it needs a steering rack and pinion assembly and possibly a pump. After doing some research online, I found that these items have a very high failure rate in these vehicles. This seems like an obvious defect that would be very dangerous, especially considering that when these parts fail, the vehicle is almost if not definitely impossible to steer.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Feb 042008

Acadia 6-cyl

2007 GMC Acadia fwd power steering failure. First instance Feb 2008 (vehicle 9 months of age 38K miles), steering had a whine noise and become very difficult to turn. Steering very heavy. Took to dealer, power steering pump was replaced. Nov 2008 steering starting failing again with the same symptoms. Took to dealer and once again they replaced the power steering pump (mileage at 79K). Feb 2009 steering again started failing with same conditions. Took it to the dealer and they now replace the steering gear (mileage 89K). Nov 2010 steering began failing again. Took it to the dealer and they said it needed another power steer gear replaced.

- Marion, IN, USA