CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Jan 102011

Acadia

Transmission originally started skipping around 75,900 miles. At 100,000 miles started system alert of " transmission running hot, idle to cool down". transmission serviced on 11/11/13. Transmission drained and refilled by GMC dealer in el paso, tx. Ran ok until 2/06/14. In GMC repair shop in richmond, ca. Transmission completely failed! $4000 repair.

- Hercules, CA, USA

Jan 272014

Acadia

TL- the contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. While traveling about 30 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to increase speed despite the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The contact was informed that the transmission needed to be rebuilt or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.-

- Cumming, GA, USA

Nov 302013

Acadia 6-cyl

Engine light came on took it in to get checked the GMC dealer said it was purge valve and may be my timing chain belt! and my master cylinder was leaking into my booster, and they had to replace a sensor for the tire and service the track/stabilitrak! services came to $1000 now come 2 months later to Jan 2014 engine light is on service stabilitrak is on take it back, my timing chain needs replaced@ 74000 miles which is about a $2000 job and my transmission platelets need changed! transmission is now slipping we called GM and there is nothing they will do as I was informed these are "command problems " in these vehicles!! what!! I feel like I've been sold a lemon and no one are GM cares because these are command problems for them! never again will I buy a GM and I'm confused on how so many people have these same issues and GM is doing nothing about it! oh did I mention you can't park on a slant or an incline with a 1/4 tank of gas because your Acadia won't start! this car has been a nightmare!

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Jan 312014

Acadia 6-cyl

Wife driving along and transmission dropped out. Car is vary well taken care of. In 5 years and ten months of owning the vehicle the tranny goes? car only has 49000 miles, and apparently there is a none problem with the tranny. Vehicle repairs cost 4000, completely unacceptable. Code on vehicle wasp0776.00, just like every other complaint I have seen on the internet. Something must be done. Would not recommend this car to anyone. My father is a GM employee and he is disgusted with this.

- Niagara Falls, NY, USA

Nov 192012

Acadia 6-cyl

Warning indicators turn on for the system braking components such as ABS brake failure, traction control and loss of engine power while accelerating between 35 to 50 miles per hour. Engine power decrease and the car speed and power is decreased with the loss of engine power warning. The car would just stop at this point. I contacted onstar each time this issue occurred to a diagnostic scan and each report indicated that same warning reported on the console. After 10 minutes the vehicle would re-start and I was able to drive it. This issue has re-occurred within 2 years and the GMC service department was unable to diagnose the problem but during the latest incident the mechanic had ruled the issue as low brake fluid. I've investigated this issue online on various blog forums for the GMC Acadia with the same description of braking system failure and others report the failure as an internal braking malfunction in which the master cylinder leaks into the brake booster. I'm concerned that this problem could potential become fatal is it recurs. The GMC service department refuse to look into my concern and investigate the problem. There are no visible signs of a leak because the leak is internal.

- Pflugerville , TX, USA

Jan 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission started failing and finally went out at 108,000 miles, sitting in our driveway and we had to have it towed to dealer. GM dealer replaced it under warranty but the labor cost us several thousand dollars. Now at 170,000 miles, this remanufactured transmission is now going out. It sticks in low speed and then overheats driving 65mph in 40deg weather. The dealer claims that a stretched timing chain has to be fixed first, before the transmission, at a cost of $1944. They also said the on board computer didn't store the numerous overheated transmission events that began occurring immediately after the remanufactured transmission was installed at 108,000 miles. The GM dealer is trying to tell me that the transmission is probably ok and that the overheating is due to some other reason, but he then couldn't even guess at what the other reasons might be! the fluid level is good, and the vehicle has a tow package with a cooler for the transmission fluid. GM dealer said the transmission will be covered by warranty, which will likely mean another several thousand dollar labor charge on top of the so called stretched timing chain cost of $1,900. The power steering pump has been whining for about a year and is getting loud. The navigation and dvd player system failed twice. Might be time to trade the vehicle for something more reliable. My wife is getting scared to drive it too far and end up being broken down in atlanta traffic...very dangerous.

- Milton, GA, USA

Dec 202013

Acadia

After exiting the interstate while driving my 2008 GMC Acadia, I stopped at the end of exit ramp and while trying to accelerate, I lost power and unable to reach posted speed limits. The car lost power and had to be towed to a GMC dealership and was told that the 3-5 wave plate failed and caused further damage to the transmission. The dealership stated that no signs of operator abuse were observed and it appeared that the wave plate failed on its own. The costs of repair was approx. $4700 since the car was out warranty by 8 months and had 60,400 miles. I have called GMC customer service and waiting for resolution on my claim that my costs to repair should be mitigated since it appears that the wave plate failure was a design or manufacturing issue.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Jun 262013

Acadia

I have experienced multiple issues with my 2008 GMC Acadia my first problem was with the transmission having to be replaced. Which just barely was covered under the warranty I had after buying the vehicle used since that first incident I have had continual problems. My engine will stay running after the key is turned to the off position and the key is removed from the ignition the car continues to stay running the engine does that is all other lights go off no radio or ac stay on. I have had it in the shop different times no one can correctly diagnose and fix the issue. I am now watching the tow truck hook my car up to be taken to the GMC dealer which is going to cost more than I am sure I can afford to pay as a single mother trying to make ends meet. So besides the engine running with no key in it. It also kills the battery drains it when it sits. I have also had issues with the wiring harnesses to the head lights melting to the back if the bulbs having to be replaced costing over $200. There has to be some kind of electrical issue with this car there seem to be many people on here with similar issues with transmission and odd issues. Please help I can't afford this car and the continual issues.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Dec 182013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate over 20 mph. The stabilitrac and several other warning lights illuminated. Additionally, the vehicle shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mivland, TX, USA

Nov 112013

Acadia

I had started noticing slipping of the transmission, this primarily occurred when reversing and then when trying to gain speed like on the on ramp trying to get on the highway. I made an appointment to have it looked it with our local mechanic who preceded to tell me they could find nothing wrong and to bring it back if the check engine light came on that way they could hook it up and get the code. I had an upcoming trip out of state and prayed the vehicle would make it and it did. I continued to notice the slipping of the transmission and approximately 2 weeks later I was driving in town, going about 35 mph and my check engine light popped on. I parked the vehicle and dropped my daughter at daycare, got back in the car to leave and the vehicle would not go into reverse or move forward. I had to have the vehicle towed to the dealership where I was informed it was a problem in the transmission with a broken wave plate and 3-5 reverse clutch plate. My vehicle was out of warranty by time however still under the mileage so I was offered the repair at a "discounted" rate. I then researched to find out what a common problem this has been with this vehicle.

- Chapman, KS, USA

Mar 152013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission started slipping. I would pull out onto a street and it would slip and I almost got his by a car. I took it in repeatedly to dealer and they couldn't duplicate and after repeatedly taking it back and them keeping it for a month they finally replaced the transmission. Repeated steering issues. I took it in constantly and was told nothing wrong but after looking at it myself I found melted bushing and after being told all that had been replaced already. Steering problems from day 1. 4 times of having power steering replaced and steering column and every time I got the vehicle back the vibration was worse, today I found the problem on my own. The rack and pinion has a major leak. Not sure how repeated trips to the dealership and they couldn't see this. My steering also locks up while driving almost hit a car..and the dealership never has loaners so im stuck driving an unsafe vehicle while I wait because I was told I can only go where I bought my vehicle because of the extended warranty. This vehicle goes in to the shop and as soon as it is picked up it needs to go right back the same day. Worst vehicle and most unsafe of anything I've ever owned.

- La Porte, TX, USA

Dec 142013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission failure while traveling on interstate. Only to find out this is only one of multiple Acadias with this few miles to have this happen and leave us stranded miles from home. And unfortunately we are now finding out that a lot of people have had this happen but noone bothered to tell us about it or warn us that this might be a problem. And of course our warranty has expired because we have owned it 5 years and have taken very good care of our vehicle having the oil changed every 3000 miles and tires rotated and balanced routinely and you could look at it and it looks brand new.. but now we are out $4000 + which should not be happening with this vehicle.. we are very disappointed and angry that we could have been in a very dangerous situation had my husband not been the one driving that day.

- Leitchfield, KY, USA

Nov 142013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission wave plate failure a few months out of warranty now I am stuck with repairing it when it is a known part defect.

- Gilbert, MN, USA

Nov 202013

Acadia 6-cyl

I was merging onto highway when the RPM's on my vehicle went to 5 (or above) and the vehicle lurched into gear. After that happened, the vehicle would not go above 45mphs. Every time the vehicle would need to change gears after this the rpms would climb before changing gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and I was advised it was the transmission.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Jul 012010

Acadia 6-cyl

On the freeway, power went out. Car was towed. Transmission was out and was replaced.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Nov 122013

Acadia 6-cyl

Transmission went while driving. GMC aware of transmission problems with this truck. Will not fix problem because my 5year 100,000 mile warranty expired in August. Dealer where truck was brought will not help nor GMC is helping. This is not right. This is usa, I want justice!!!! can't afford to get this fixed. Truck needed to take my son to school and for work, church. My whole life has been disrupted. They use tax dollars to bail out auto makers. But the auto makers (GMC) will not honor the customer.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 252012

Acadia 6-cyl

Purchased 2008 Acadia in March 2012. Eight (8) months after purchase while driving with infant son in vehicle, without any warning or lights the car lost all power. Luckily, a serious accident didn't occur. The transmission had completely failed. The cause was a broken 3-5 waveplate, the transmission had heat damage, and material throughout. Our local GMC dealer service department removed, torn down, and overhauled the transmission. This service was covered under a 5 year 100,000mi warranty. It has been 1 year and the transmission is slow to change gears and shaking rumbling at 20mph and 40mph. I called my local dealer they were unable to set up an appointment for 4 days, the car is now at the dealership. I was told it needs $4,900 of work. The cause of the shake and rumble during acceleration is the failure of the torque converter ($2,000). The torque converter was replaced with a remanufactured torque converter, when the transmission was rebuilt 13 months ago. When I asked GM to replace the torque converter, I was told I was lucky it lasted more than 12,000mi. Very disappointed with GM. The transmissions are defective and the are aware of this issue, they put a band aid on the car until it passed 100,000mi, and no longer covered by warranty and now the consumers problem. I do not consider myself lucky that my car spent 7 days in the shop last November and now has been in the shop 4 days with no end in sight, for the same issue.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Nov 202013

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission in our 2008 Acadia has begun slipping and first gear shifts engage with a very noticeable clunk (thump); there is also a delay when the car is shifted into drive (~3 to 5 seconds); GM needs to perform.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 032013

Acadia 6-cyl

The transmission would not shift into third gear. Took to dealer. They were aware of the problem and "offered to help" by discounting the price of rebuilding the transmission. The transmission is still not right. Shifting is poor and clunky.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 232013

Acadia 6-cyl

Started car and it would not go into gear. No issues with the transmission prior to this. Mechanic says the transmission needs to be replaced. Contacted GM and was told my warranty expired a couple of months ago and there was nothing they would do. Now I see that this is a common occurrence for the Acadia.

- East Rockaway, NY, USA