CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jan 012013

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the instrument panel and the air bag warning light would shut off independently. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle would provide false readings like door ajar when all doors were closed. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Ferdinand, IN, USA

Aug 132014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced several electrical failures. The rear doors would not unlock, the liftgate failed to open, the check engine indicator illuminated intermittently, and the battery failed while the key was stuck in the ignition. When the battery was replaced, the key was removed; however, the engine was still operable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where it was stated that the body control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Atpleboro, MA, USA

Jul 152014

Acadia

Water leaking after rain storm down to floor mats on both the driver and passenger side. We had our windshield recently replaced back in may of this year, so I thought that this was maybe the issue and took back to the glass repair shop. Upon investigating further, they found that the issue was happening to many of the GMC vehicles on the electrical recall. I went to GM's website and entered my VIN and nothing about this issue on our personal vehicle. In our small community there have been two house fires, major damage caused by the electrical system ignition etc on GM vehicles. We do not want to be the next victim.

- Marshall, MN, USA

Aug 052014

Acadia

My GMC Acadia 2008 constantly stalls on me the issues started August 5 and has continue up to last night August 17th. While I'm driving the car would shut off on me and the check engine light would appear. I wont be able to restart the car so I had the car towed to the nearest GMC dealer. After paying for a diagnostic report the mechanic told me they could not find any codes indication the check engine light even came on. Last night I was scared because I left work at midnight after driving about 10 minutes the car started jumping then turned off and the check engine light came on in the middle of the street. I called on-star and they were dispatching a tow truck because the car would not come on. After 45 minutes I tried to turn the car on and it came on so I cancelled the tow truck service. This is a issue that's been happening for the last 2 weeks. I cant get the issued fixed because the last 2 diagnostic reports that were ran states no issues. I also had on-star run a diagnostic report right when the issue happened and they also told me they don't see any issues. I took a picture with my cell phone when the check engine light came on but no one seems to know the issues the SUV is facing. Everything stays on the radio the lights just the car shuts off and wont start for like 45 minutes to an hour. I've looked on different GMC Acadia forums and it seems I'm not the only person having this issue with this same make model and year car. Someone on the forum suggested I make a compliant at the ntsa.

- Bronx , NY, USA

Aug 032014

Acadia

The vehicle refused to shift out of first gear and the check engine light became illuminated upon pulling out into the roadway. At 25 miles per hour the rpms were 4000 and it just would not shift. We pulled over, called for help and were stranded on the side of the road with two small children. We were hours away from home, and had to call family from hundreds of miles away to come help. The vehicle after being turned off and sitting for a while did then return to normal operation when restarted. Vehicle was driven home and two days later the very same problem recurred. Going to trade in this pos before someone gets hurt.

- Wyoming, PA, USA

Jul 112014

Acadia

When the ignition switch was turned on, the car started, but rather than return to the "on" position, the switch returned to the "off" position and the motor turned off. This has happened numerous times, but only one time when the vehicle was actually in motion.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 082011

Acadia 6-cyl

When first starting engine a loud pop would occur. Signals, clock, stereo, dome light, battery gauge stopped working. Chevrolet dealer replaced the stereo and amplifier ($1500 ). then if I left Acadia in the rain I would find a small puddle of water on the floor under the emergency brake and a drop of water on the air bag on the driver side in front of the vehicle. Was told it could be the sun roof tubes were blocked so I took it to the auto glass place and had the tubes cleaned out. Very concerned about the water because I do not want to loose power in vehicle again. Just went on a trip and had to park outside in parking area and had a real puddle on my mat and underneath the mat. Today I called an auto windshield repair shop to see if the windshield could be leaking and was told that if the car was not in an accident or if it has not had the windshield replaced, they didn't think it would be the windshield leaking, that GM was good about installing and sealing the windshield. My car is kept in the garage and I am the only driver. It has never been in an accident and I am afraid that the wiring will short out, cause a soft spot in the floor, or start a fire. This automobile has only 69,285 miles and has been very well taken care of by only General Motors dealerships. Serious problem involving wet elements and electrical problems here. Please let me know what to do!

- Willis,, MI, USA

Jul 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

Driving at 35mph, touched brake to slow down for a stoplight, vehicle stopped running. I placed in park and turned ignition to restart vehicle, stabiltrack light came on, and drove home with no other incident.had a full tank of gas.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Sep 022011

Acadia 6-cyl

In 2011, our Acadia electrical system started to malfunction. First the driver's side headlight wiring burnt. We had that replaced. After the headlight, we started noticing the engine light was coming on and the air bag sensor was notifying us that the air bags will not deploy. None of the sounds where coming on in the car. For example, if you were not wearing your seatbelt the "dinging" did not happen. I took the Acadia in for service and they told me it was my cell phone that triggered the defect. I thank god I was not in an accident however if GMC knew of the defects why not be up front with us. My family and I travel plenty. Safety is the number one concern, we bought the Acadia faithfully and hopes GMC provides the best service possible.

- Roswell, NM, USA

Jun 262014

Acadia 6-cyl

Turned off vehicle when arrived home. Opened the door and realized car was still running, keys were in my hand. Put key back in ignition and jiggled, nothing happened, car still running. Turned key to middle and then to start, turned off again and car finally shut off. I tried to start again to see if happened and the yellow light (malfunction light) came on. This time I was able to shut off the car. Called dealer to schedule service for this issue and recall 14030 that I just received in the mail, they can't get me in until July 11th. A few hours later I went out to car to put Acadia manual and grocery bags back in vehicle, unable to unlock back door with remote. Tried to start car but nothing happens except clicking noise and the yellow malfunction light comes on. Odometer reading above is estimate because the car is dead, unable to view actual odometer reading.

- Shillington, PA, USA

Jun 072014

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle remained powered on after removing the key from the ignition. The contact put the key back in the ignition and shifted into park in order to turn the vehicle off but the key would not turn in the off position. The contact made several attempts to remove the key to no avail. The key remained stuck in the ignition and the battery was drained due to the failure. The vehicle was scheduled to be towed and diagnosed by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Hillsboro, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Water leaking into vehicle cabin entering through panoramic sunroof and ending in the electronic components under the driver side causing multiple dashboard warning lights to turn on and inoperable at times when lit. On two instances vehicle unable to start took to dealership for repairs and after a few days and unable to replicate was sent home. Currently breaks and electronic stability control lights come on and off intermittently and unable to operate cruise control.

- Sunyside, WA, USA

May 292014

Acadia

Water sloshing under the glove box, and getting on passenger's shoes. Pulled plastic housing around blower motor to find it completely filled with water (same as described at this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=fnykjlhusxi). Turns out the sunroof drain is clogged and the interior is filling with water (like in this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=mxzygdlln-U). The battery compartment is full of water.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Jul 222011

Acadia

1. accelerator pedal stuck to floor at 60mph and continued to pick up speed until driver threw car to neutral as brakes would not engage 2. air bag system has not been functional 3. TPMS is inoperable light always on 4. seats are composed of polyurethane molded foam causing an array of health issues for myself and 2 children as car gets extremely hot 5. brakes engage during high speeds randomly causing car to slide 6. heavy metals/air plane parts found in many places of car 7. fumes inside constantly improperly routed fuel/emission system? 8. transmitters, ignition will not turn over unless fm transmitter in key is attached, should not be a hybrid or grid operated vehicle. Spray foam and welded metal composed much of vehicle. Medical white packing in much of gaps with a contaminated smell 9. lots of money trying to repair damage, owner filed bankruptcy lots of medical bills. Dealers and manufacturer do nothing, I have wrote letters and many phone calls. 10. microwave effect on anyone in car along with magnetic pulls. I myself have had this car since Feb 2011. I have lost some nerve function on left side of my body leaving me with multiple scars for life down left side of body and center forehead resembling radiation burns but I never underwent radiation. I lost my hair in 2012 along with joint damages. Please do something, I am not an experiment and never agreed to be one!

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Nov 122013

Acadia 6-cyl

So the window switches don"T work, when I'm trying to open the window it will open but then it won't close back, the steering wheel makes squeaking noises and most important the most costly thing to repair was the transmission. We purchased the car used with 53,000 miles on and after driving another 20,000 miles the transmission broke I had to pay out of my packet about 4,000 dollars for the repair I have two small children and when it comes for safety im not sure if we should keep the vehicle. When I'm reading all those recall issues I'm getting worried about my kids safety.

- Burbank, IL, USA

Jan 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Headlamp wiring melted the headlamp module and bulb receptacle there was no fire but there could have been I was informed there was a service directive on this that expired on 12/31 but I still had to pay $240 to have it repaired when I googled the problem I found multiple complaints about this defect. I feel it is something you should look into.

- Grand Haven, MI, USA

Apr 182014

Acadia 6-cyl

2008 GMC Acadia. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle ignition issues. The consumer stated on April 18, 2014, he went to start the vehicle and despite repeated efforts, the key would not turn. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. According to the invoice, the ignition lock cylinder was binding. It was replaced at a cost of $ $321.85.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Jul 012013

Acadia 6-cyl

Bought this life altering mess of a vehicle in June 2013 with 77K miles. Since that time a wide spectrum of issues have arose and cost me for than just money. Windshield wiper quit working and needed to be fixed (I now see that was a recall) constant electric issues in using beeping, lighting up at inappropriate times, not registering a grown adult in passenger seat. Also, leaking transmission fluid. GM did cover that charge which was no help with the rear end that had to be replaced at a cost of nearly $3000. Transmission still (before leak "fixed") and after will read idle transmission hot at many times. Leaking water when we receive heavy rains. Leaking comes from drivers side airbag "label") I have been financially strapped because of this vehicle I had worked and saved so hard for just trying to keep my job! I need my vehicle to work and my life is at risk when I'm forced to get behind the wheel because of these issues that GM is aware of. With the money I've spent (I'm a single working mother with two young sons) because of GM turning a blind eye I am in dire need of the proper resolution to this year long devastation of preventable events. Please assist me in this fore I'm unable to go further with continuing to fix problems that thousands of other owners are having with the same vehicle. Thank you. In 2011 my children and myself lost our home to a devastating flood that rocked our city and as of Feb 2014 we were finally able to move out of the camper and get a home. I cannot prevent a flood and all the pain it caused myself and my children but I will not cease to fight for what it right. That is replacing my vehicle with equal, reliable safe vehicle immediately! after all, this was completely preventable and should've been fixed before now. Please help me. Thank you for your time.

- Burlington, ND, USA

Sep 272013

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2008 Acadia transmission failed as I exited a highway (70 mph) and was going up the exit ramp. It began bucking like a horse. Once I pulled over and parked, I could not go in reverse. The car had to be towed and a new transmission had to be put in it after only 56K miles. Also have had the sunroof / moon roof trays overflow because the drainage tubes are not large enough to drain all the water from the trays. The dealership stated it was a poor design and nothing could be done to replace it. Now water has entered my vehicle causing the electrical box to become wet causing the horn to blow randomly and the car to continue running after turning it off and removing the key.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Aug 122011

Acadia 6-cyl

Blower motor inoperative. Replaced 08/12/11 and 06/06/12. It has an intermittent problem at the moment. Living in the North in the winter time it is impossible to defrost the window if the blower motor doesn't work.

- Detroit, MI, USA