Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Feb 122014

While driving on the interstate the stabilitrak, traction control and reduced power lights came on. The car was running really rough and I had to cross traffic to pull over. I turned it off and sat for 5-10 minutes. I started it and it acted like nothing had happened. I drove it directly to a Chevy dealer and they said the only thing they could find was that it appeared that the throttle body had moisture in it and the moisture had frozen. They dried it out and its been fine, until last week. I was on my way to Chicago, again on the interstate, and the all the lights started coming on, then the engine light, but I did not lose power this time. I'm really afraid to drive my car and unfortunately I have several more trips to Chicago in the near future. I would take our other vehicle, but it is also a GM product and is having the same issues. I have read many forums where the same situation has been happening for as far back as 6 years and appears to be a major problem for a lot of GM owners. People are having sensors changed out, throttle body replaced and other work done on their vehicles and nothing is solving the problem. GM needs to find out what the problem is and fix it! its very dangerous to be driving along in wall to wall traffic and lights start coming on and there is the possibility of losing power in the middle of all that! unfortunately, since we have two GM vehicles with the same problem, there is no way to avoid driving one of them. Fyi - I also read that there are problems going on with leaks in the rack and pinion and sway bar issues. I had a leak in my rack and pinion and had to replace the sway bars last fall.

- Mapleton, IL, USA

Apr 022015

Acadia 6-cyl

HVAC blower motor submerged in water. Causing motor to fail. No defrost. Effecting field of vision. No sunroof on this model Acadia. Seems to be from condensation. Also concerned about electrical failure.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Mar 102015

Acadia 6-cyl

My 2008 GMC Acadia would not start and the key could not be removed from the ignition. The vehicle was towed to a GMC dealership. The mechanic diagnosed that the sunroof was leaking into the headliner and going straight to the fuse block. I had to replace the fuse block, battery as well as seal the leak around the sunroof and cowl. GMC refused to pay anything towards this repair and will not issue a recall. I spent $1,200 just to fix this due to GMC's poor craftsmanship. Mileage of car is 104,00.

- Mount Washington, KY, USA

Nov 152014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the fuse panel was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Midland, MI, USA

Dec 102014

• 9,567,735 miles
The cluster stays dim when the vehicle starts up sometime it stays dim from 5-10 minutes or sometimes when I hit a bump. Also there are various times when it want crank up until I get a jump start now it's begin to happen more regularly. The battery was checked it's good, the charging was checked it's good. It has been checked by the place I bought it from several times they can't seem to find anything wrong with it.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 082014

Acadia 6-cyl

It started as a very rare incident. When we heard about the heavy key chain problem we took everything off our fobs but two keys. When the key was turned, the ignition would make a strange clicking noise and all of the electronics would turn off. The key would have to be removed, reinserted, and the car started before everything could be reset. On one other occasion besides it's final meltdown did it refuse to release the key and run the battery down. Last week, on 12/10/14, I drove thee car and it acted up 3 times. We decided it was time to put it in the shop. It opened with the fob that night but refused to re-lock 2 hours later - everything dead. New battery so shouldn't be dead. Tried to start - ate key and refused to release until late next day after trickle charge put to it. Since then - all electronics work now and then but car will not start. Warranty ran out 2 days ago. Sucks!!!

- Orange, TX, USA

Dec 012014

Vehicle leaked causing fuse box to short out.

- Camden, SC, USA

Nov 192014

2 drilled holes in the sunroof are allowing water to flow throughout vehicle wiring harnesses. Water has settled in engine and harnesses. In my case, the water shorted out the amplifier. Worried that this could also create electrical fire or other malfunction(s).

- Hinckley, OH, USA

Nov 282014

When driving through recent rainstorm I turned around to grab a toy for my son and water was dripping on my head. I looked up and it was literally pouring out of the light fixture and each light was filled like a pool. Completely unacceptable!

- Pasco, WA, USA

Dec 032014

The bose system in my 2008 GMC Acadia stopped working. I was unable to use the onstar system because there was not sound coming out of the speakers. Today we removed the wiring harness in the rear doors of the car and found water.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Jul 132007

Severe water damage to vehicle due to manufacture defective roof drains.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 222014

Acadia 6-cyl

While I was driving my light buttons under my radio went out for a minute. They was going on and off when I hit the gas or brakes. The next day I drove it my signal light was not showing that it was on or working but it was working from the outside. My hand gauge would drop to 0 and then go back up to my correct speed. My radio screen went out my mute button on steering wheel does not work anymore. When I cut my car off and I open my drivers door the radio would automatically cut off but now it takes a minute for it to do so. Today I was going to go out for lunch but when I cut my truck on I think it cut right back off. So I cut it back on and it stayed on a while I was just too scared to move. I am scared all these electrical problems will have me on the side of the road soon. This is not good.

- Lena, MS, USA

Jul 302014

Acadia 6-cyl

I'm logging these issue as I have now come to realize that the issues we have had with our 2008 GMC Acadia are very widespread among owners. Very early on in the life of the vehicle approx Oct 2008 we began seeing small amounts of water inside the cabin. Water would drip along the windshield occasionally, no action was taken as it was not consistent or so we thought. On multiple occasions my wife would complain that the vehicle would "cutoff" or "die" generally at slow speed in areas such a parking lots when turning, however the dealer was unable to re-create the issue so no repairs were made. One day this summer (2014) my wife was unable to start the vehicle, it just would not crank. On taking it to the dealer the vehicle was diagnosed with a corroded battery cable that ran from the middle of the vehicle to the starter in the engine bay. Cost to repair $1,200. In approximately June 2014 the vehicle began experiencing a slight rollback when placed into drive. At first we didn't think it was an issue as it didn't get worse with time. However by October 2014 we got a check engine light, diagnosis transmission failure cost to repair $4,890 after a $200 discount.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Aug 252012

Acadia 6-cyl

I purchased my 2008 GMC Acadia on 9/22/11. The following summer on August 25, 2012 the transmission went out while on vacation. It was towed to a dealership where they told me the wave plate and snap ring were broken. They replaced the clutch housing, all pistons, all fibers, replaced side cover and pistons and seals and springs. They replaced control valve body spacer plate and tom solenoid gasket screen. The vehicle had 73,730 miles on it. Since then I have also replaced the headlights twice, the battery once. My dash lights only work when they want to and my windshield sprayer stopped working. To top it off my transmission went out again just the other day!!!! it's November 10th 2014 with 119,000 miles and I'm already needing to have another transmission!"!" this vehicle is junk, and I still owe a ton of money.....something needs to be done about this!

- Lansing , MI, USA

Oct 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

I just purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia one month ago. We live in Washington state and it rains alot. The first couple days of driving the vehicle, we experienced water dripping all over our seats, floor, and in corners of windows when we drove it getting my 3 children and myself wet. I didn't think it was such a big deal at first since I figured it was a minor leak I could easily fix. Over the next 2 weeks, I noticed my front headlight would flicker on and off and sometimes not work at all. I also figured it was a typical vehicle issue. Up until a week ago I tried to start up the vehicle and it wouldn't start, I knew it was the battery. I took it to get checked only to discover the battery, which is located under the floor board on the passenger back side, was submerged with water. The battery was taken and checked out good out of the vehicle. I researched online that there plenty of others experiencing this same issue and there are no recalls in place now. What am I supposed to do? this is a definite safety issue as its affecting the electrical system. I have a 2 year old,4 year old, and a 5 year old. My 5 year old has health issues and my husband and I bought this vehicle in hopes to have a reliable and most importantly safe vehicle because he is in the U.S. navy and is away alot on deployments and underways. The rain draining inside also causes mold which is dangerous for my children. The dealership wants to charge us almost 1,000$ to repair this. They were unsure how to fix this permanently so they referred me to the body shop.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Apr 152011

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the water pump had failed. The vehicle was addition, the contact stated that the transmission failed and she was not able to exceeded more than 10 mph. The dealer repaired the fuel kit, housing, sensor and cover. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Cathedral City, CA, USA

Sep 112014

Acadia 6-cyl

There is a potential fire hazard with the daylight running lights overheating before they burn out on both driver and passenger side. The bulb gets so hot that they melt the bulb socket causing an electrical fire hazard. The heat also has made the headlight housing brittle and cracked to where the socket wont stay in place inside the headlight housing thus causing the bulb to lay on the plastic causing a fire hazard. General Motors knows about this fire hazard because I have called it to there attention and because they have a customer satisfaction program #13135. They have also recalled some 2007 and 2009 to 2011 vehicles but not 2008 with the same problem.

- Imperial, MO, USA

Jan 012013

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the instrument panel and the air bag warning light would shut off independently. Also, the contact mentioned that the vehicle would provide false readings like door ajar when all doors were closed. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Ferdinand, IN, USA

Aug 132014

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced several electrical failures. The rear doors would not unlock, the liftgate failed to open, the check engine indicator illuminated intermittently, and the battery failed while the key was stuck in the ignition. When the battery was replaced, the key was removed; however, the engine was still operable. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where it was stated that the body control module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Atpleboro, MA, USA

Jul 152014

Water leaking after rain storm down to floor mats on both the driver and passenger side. We had our windshield recently replaced back in may of this year, so I thought that this was maybe the issue and took back to the glass repair shop. Upon investigating further, they found that the issue was happening to many of the GMC vehicles on the electrical recall. I went to GM's website and entered my VIN and nothing about this issue on our personal vehicle. In our small community there have been two house fires, major damage caused by the electrical system ignition etc on GM vehicles. We do not want to be the next victim.

- Marshall, MN, USA