CarComplaints.com Notes: Ahh, the ole' sophomore slump. The 2008 Acadia suffers from widespread transmission failure around 75,000 miles.

2008 GMC Acadia electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 GMC Acadia:

2008 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 132016

Acadia

I have an airbag warning light on and and a message on the display. Took to dealer and the said they already performed the recall that was on the vehicle and wanted to charge me $675 to open up the dash and see what is wrong. The code that comes up is too high resistance in airbag system. I am filing this complaint for two reasons, one is how do I know they actually performed the procedure in the first place and, two can't it be defective again. My concern is safety in nature that my airbag won't open in an accident.

- Langhorne, PA, USA

Nov 122014

Acadia

Check engine lite goes on and off appears to be timing chain. We have a 2008 GMC Acadia that has had over $4000 in repairs since we purchased it in 2010. The most current is that the timing chain needs to be replaced at the cost of $3500. I have read all 167 complaints from other customers posted on the Consumer Affairs website regarding the 2007-15 GMC Acadia. I compiled a list of all reported problems by year/make other customers reported on their Acadias. GMC has extended warrantee for the timing chain for 2007 and 2009, not 2008 though. All of our previous repairs have been reported by others also. 2 of my repairs had recalls after we had paid for the repair. Have been reimbursed by GMC for parts only for stabilizer kit, power steering pump assembly and rack N pinion but not the liftgate yet. I contacted GMC customer care requesting they look into including the 2008 but was told it isn't included and all they could do is give us a $20000 voucher for a new or leased GMC. (case #8-1702070910) I tried to contact GMC at a higher level (gmprioritycare@GM.com) sending them a request to review 2008 recalls for sway bar end links. Front and back rotors, sun roof leaking, front gas struts, purge valve, vent control solenoid and amplifier. Included a copy of my repair log and summary of complaints on Consumer Affairs for 2007-15 Acadias. They responded within 36 hours by having tiffany (the original contact at GMC) telling again all they can do is the $2000 voucher. So I can only assume they did no research at all and I'm out of luck. I think GMC needs to be held responsible for their products and customers and not tell me they a man made product, they don't last forever. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, claudia ferraro 847-272-1840 work, 847-480-9739 home

- Northbrook, IL, USA

Oct 202016

Acadia

Front sunroof leaks and fills up floorboards with water. Known issue with sunroof drains clogging and poorly sealed sunroof design. Floorboards hold electrical equipment.

- Caseyville, IL, USA

Apr 082011

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that this was the second time the sun roof drain line shifted and leaked water down the headliner. The failure flooded the driver side of the vehicle, side air bag, and visor without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the sun roof drained cube shifted and needed to be replaced. Also, the carpet and panel of the driver side had mold and needed to be to replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Churchville, PA, USA

Aug 232016

Acadia

Daytime running lights bulbs repeatedly burned out and now the wire harness has melted down. Fuse failed to trip. Damage has now been caused to the entire drl assembly (melting, see photo). Additionally I am concerned that whatever caused the bulb and wiring to melt will cause a vehicle fire and endanger my family. There are many cases of the drl bulb and harness melting, but my local GM dealer said there was no recall when I called to discuss the issue. GM/Saturn released a letter authorizing paid repairs, that was valid from 2011-2013, but these vehicles are still on the road, and it needs to be a recall regardless of warranty status. The replacement parts have been recalled--GM knows there is an issue with these components.

- Woodland, CA, USA

Jun 132016

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. When the contact attempted to open the sun roof compartment, it was filled with water which affected the radio, turn signal volume, and radio. In addition, the electrical components that ran from the door into the side wall of all four doors, were filled with water. The vehicle also failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the blowing amplifier and battery failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 108,153.

- Albany, OR, USA

Jun 022016

Acadia

I just replaced my left side low beam light for the second time in the past 12 months. When I pulled out the old bulb, it looked burnt on the tip of instead of the first time I treplaced it a year ago when the wires became loose and burnt out like a typical light bulb. Today is the second time within a week that the speakers went out and there was no sound coming out at all. The main fuse is good and I drained the water from the connectors on all the doors. There seems to be a shortage somewhere in the system because it would take 5-10 minutes for the sound to come back on. Does anyone know any solutions to fix this problem diy instead of taking it to the dealer?

- Fort Campbell, KY, USA

Apr 072016

Acadia

I own a 2008 GMC Acadia I have had it used since Jan 2015 I have had it in dealership almost every 3 months since I bought it. I was recently driving and had a fire in the passenger heated seat where my daughter was sitting and it burned a small hole in her jeans so far GMC is checking to see if its a defective equipment failure or not? in the mean time my sunroof has quit working and now my roof is leaking and my car smells like mold. The whole electrical system is going crazy with flashes of interior lights. I also had the vehicle stop on me in the middle of parking and found out the power steering pump needed to be replaced. They need to have a recall on these vehicles because our children ride with us and they are unsafe especially now that her jeans are burned and she has a small pink spot from the heated seat. The dealership told me today likely the seat wont be replaced and if its not I will be contacting me a lawyer. My children S safety come first. Hopefully the will also do a recall on the electrical equipment and the sunroof leaking because our vehicles are not safe after water gets onto all the electrical devices and shorts out and may cause a fire next.

- Bassett, VA, USA

Apr 262016

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake fluid was leaking into the power buster. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, the contact stated that water was leaking down from the sun roof into the electrical fuse box, causing corrosion and the vehicle would failed to turn off. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the water leaking into the fuse box was causing the vehicle not to turn off due to the corrosion. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000. Updated 06/29/16 updated 08/02/16.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Mar 012016

Acadia

2008 GMC Acadia is taking on water. Heater blower stopped working. Later, key locked in the ignition. Found the fuse block had been damaged by water leaking from the sunroof. Drain hoses were not plugged. Called GMC and was told my VIN not covered under recall.

- Corinth, ME, USA

Feb 162016

Acadia

Electrical system is completely dead. Key cannot be removed from ignition. This happened earlier today for a short time. Electrical did come back on allowing the vehicle to be driven home. When shut off, vehicle's electrical system is totally dead. Shifter cannot be taken out of park. Key cannot be removed. This vehicle has had previous issues with water from sun roof leaking into cabin, possibly contributing. Transmission recently repaired. Internal switch module replaced. Audio amp recently replaced, totally inop.

- Mauldin, SC, USA

Dec 162015

Acadia

My 2008 GMC Acadia leaks when it rains, the floor boards fill with water & water comes through the interior lights causing them to shorten, blink. The power windows got stuck wouldn't go down almost smashed my kids hand. The worse part driving on interstate at 65-70 traffic slows to 40 and your vehicle doesn't go almost causing the worse accident ever. Seems this wave plate, shift solenoid is a manufacturer defect especially since I was only a few months after initial purchase and the truck was returned to dealer for same issue so that means the transmission they replaced the bad one with was so bad or reached its time out mileage. This should be a recall if it happened shortly after purchase (purchased used) then it happens again with the replacement transmission and all the threads in have read every owner is experiencing this, someone will have bad accident possibly death. Does death have to occur for us to get better resolve and make GMC take care of this. Over $5,000 was tough to christmas time

- Webster, TX, USA

Jan 022016

Acadia

I have had service air bag lights come on all the time along with service stabletrack and and I think something with the fuel when I get gas it makes weird sounds and won't start without pumping the gas to get it started.

- Bellsire, OH, USA

Dec 312015

Acadia

The airbag on/off lights would both light up at the same time so you didn't know if it was functioning properly. The warning "service airbag" came on. This was while driving any speed, any type road, also while the car was in park. Key would not come out of ignition, the engine would turn off but electrical would still be working. Also the power saver mode kicked in and we had to have the vehicle jumped.

- Dodge Center, MN, USA

Sep 152011

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while parked, the sunroof leaked water into the vehicle. The water also leaked from the drivers side air bag. The contact also stated that the leak occurred from the rear dome light. The contact also stated that while driving at 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted but the failure recurred. The battery also failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Oct 102015

Acadia

The contact owns a 2008 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that water filled up in the fuse box from a faulty drainage for the windshield wiper fluid, causing the vehicle not to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 171,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 122015

Acadia

Sunroof continues to leak water. Moisture mildew growth in interior. Car gets saturated every time. Driver side floor boards full of water. Electrical warning lights continue to sound and flash...today it's the brake warning. Water is corroding my electrical system...it's not safe! GMC keep ignoring this problem, even though this issue is an epidemic of complaints all over the web! this should have been a recall years ago! this is absolutely unacceptable!

- Dupont, WA, USA

Oct 012015

Acadia

Rain leak into car, water pouring into frame and trapped in frame of car, roof of car. Water leaking out of airbag locations. When we drive, we can hear water moving around in frame, see water leaking out of airbag areas in frame of car. Water trapped inside frame of car, rotting inside of car, mold, mildew potential, fire hazard. GMC says they are not responsible for repairs, car no longer under warranty. How can I safely drive a vehicle in which both the airbags and electrical system is compromised??

- Stone Ridge, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Acadia

Water enters the interior of the vehicle as the sunroof drains continue to clog up and water falls on driver and driver side electrical fuses.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 172015

Acadia

Car would not start and had to jump off. When I did this I went to turn off and had the key out and the car kept running for around a minute before finally stalling. Did this several times with the same result. I then took it to dealership. After a day they called and informed me that the windshield was allowing water in at the passenger side and fuse panel under glove box was full of water and corroded. They advised a new windshield as mine had a small star crack in it and needed to be resealed. That along with recommending a new fuse panel. They checked all drain lines for sunroof and said they were fine. Paid the bill for this at $799.58 with assurance that water issue was fixed. Well one week later and the first rain since after sitting in light rain for 2 hours and driving 20 minutes I noticed water dripping into both floorboards from a post. I will be taking back to dealership tomorrow with them still not aknowledging anything about water problems.

- Cornelia, GA, USA