2010 GMC Acadia steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 GMC Acadia:

2010 GMC Acadia Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jun 142011

Acadia 6-cyl

Early part of June, 2014, noticed at very isolated times steering was hard while making very low speed turns. This happened very infrequently during very low speeds such as parking or turning into a small spaces. The intervals of this problem began to increase in July, but only at low speeds. Towards the end of July the steering became harder at turning and the speed became higher at which the event occurred. Beginning of August it became a safety concern when turning corners the power steering would go out and control of the vehicle became difficult. I called the dealer and made an appointment to diagnose the problem. The dealer found the power steering pump and rack of the steering to have slow leaks. The solution was to replace the parts. Fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty as the cost of labor and parts came to over $1,300. Because I have commercial driving experience, I was able to deal with the loss of steering in what could have resulted loss of control of the vehicle. In my opinion, this is a safety concern.

- Smoketown, PA, USA

May 012013

2010 GMC Acadia. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle steering issue. The consumer stated the steering would become stiff and made turning difficult at low speeds and the engine would also race at a low steady speed without acceleration. The consumer's private mechanic, informed her, the steering gear was leaking and recommended she take the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer replaced the steering gear and front wheel drive shaft seal. The vehicle was returned to her. However, five days later, the consumer experienced the issue again, with the engine racing and the tight steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer again, but the dealer was unable to replicate the problem. When she left the dealer, the engine raced again. She went back to the dealer, and left the vehicle. The mechanic diagnosed the problem as timing chain issue. The timing chain and tensioner were replaced, as well as the steering rack and pinion. Between May 2013 and August 2013, the consumer continued to experience several sporadic incidents of the power steering failing or significantly tightening on low speeds. Also, a noise and vibration developed in the right front side of the vehicle. The consumer was informed the motor mount was loose.

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Vehicle becomes almost impossible to steer at low speeds. Problem is intermittent. Becoming more frequent and occurring at higher speeds. Very dangerous to drive. I hope they recall it so the problem can be fixed and before someone gets hurt.

- Wellington, CO, USA

Jun 172013

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that the power steering fluid was leaking from the vehicle. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing, who informed that the failure was normal wear and tear on the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jun 112014

Acadia 6-cyl

While turning corners, power steering locks making it difficult to turn the wheel. Feels very dangerous as you never know when it is going to occur. I am getting to a point where I am getting nervous to drive the vehicle. Especially with my kids in the car! this occurs even if the vehicle is warm and also after a cold start. It appears as though this is an issue with this model and I cannot believe that GM has not done a recall. I was told by a mechanic the power steering rack needs to be replaced, but I have also seen other online complaints the pump also needs to be replaced. This repair is very costly and my truck is not that old! I have already brought the vehicle in for the previously named recalls.

- Mechanicville, NY, USA

May 012014

Power steering goes out intermittently at low speeds. Specifically when turning corners or pulling into a parking space. Some times I can't even turn the wheel. Was told by the dealer that the steering gear needed replacing and it would cost $2000, and wasn't covered under the warranty. I brought it to a local car repair shop, and they replaced it for $1700, but that did not fix the problem. I am hesitant to drive the vehicle since I have 2 small children. The NHTSA needs to investigate this issue, since the majority of the complaints for this vehicle are related to the power steering.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Jul 132014

While driving my 2010 GMC Acadia up a slightly curing pass at 65mph the power steering spontaneously went out. No leaking, noises or warning signs of failure prior. Steering became very difficult and stiff, unable to change lanes without difficulty which could have easily caused an accident in heavier traffic. Had performed flawlessly without any signs of difficulty 8 miles prior while turning onto the highway from a stop. Car is otherwise in excellent condition and current on all manufacturer recommended services.

- Meridian, ID, USA

May 282014

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. While driving 20 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Mayville, ND, USA

Jun 012014

When driving such as pulling into a parking spot, the steering locks up forcing me to slam on my brakes. This malfunction happens periodically in different situations. I have checked my power steering fluid and it is at the full mark. I believe the system in this vehicle does not have a large enough reservoir which causes the rack and pinion to lock up in the middle of a turn.

- Morehead City, NC, USA

Sep 102013

Acadia 6-cyl

Since approximately September 2013 my 2010 GMC Acadia has lost power steering at slow speeds while turning and parking. This problem has continued to get worse over the course of the following months up until present day. At first it was intermittent, and now every time I am parking or making sharp turns the power steering fails. There have been numerous occasions where I almost hit another car because I could not turn the wheel properly. My husband has hit a pole because of this problem, because he could not turn the steering wheel to avoid the object. We have replaced the power steering fluid, and this did not correct the problem. I have not taken it to the dealer because my research shows that this problem has not been identified specifically for exact repairs. I cannot afford to repeatedly take my vehicle to the dealer when they don't even know how to fix this problem. I hope General Motors receives enough complaints to recall this problem before somebody gets into a serious accident. It is just a matter of time before this causes a catastrophic accident for someone, which I pray does not happen.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Apr 082014

Acadia 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 GMC Acadia. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering would fail intermittently without warning. The vehicle became increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000 and current mileage was 103,000. Updated 10/03/14 updated 5/12/2015

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Jan 232014

Acadia 6-cyl

The steering starting making a popping or whinning noise at low speed turns of the wheel. This is the approximate time I noticed the noise start.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jun 302014

Acadia 6-cyl

My car power steering is locking up. While drive getting ready to turn the wheel locks up. Not only me but many other has reported this same issue and has even occured in accidents due to this. GM has not recalled this SUV due to this issue and I am very displeased because its a known issue.

- Port Allen, LA, USA

Jun 302014

Acadia 6-cyl

The power steering when turning a corner goes out, causing the vehicle to be almost impossible to turn. This problem is intermittent and it does not matter what speed you are going. This is electric power steering and I believe there needs to be a recall on this due to the potential hazard and possible death associated with this defect.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 092014

Acadia 6-cyl

When pulling into parking lot at low speeds, the vehicle loses power steering and will not turn almost causing an accident. It has also happened in the middle of an intersection when turning when it loses power steering. This is a dangerous issue and needs a recall.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 162010

I purchased a new Acadia in 2010, I have had problems with the front end since it was new it has gone back to the dealer many times for front end noises and not handling properly, I did bring it to the dealer complaining that the car was not steering properly they did do something to repair it but now the warranty is expired and I was told that the steering rack is leaking and needs to be replaced at a cost of over $1800. It is noted if you look into it that this front end and steering problem is wide spread, their are cases of people spending thousands of dollars on repairs but more importantly loosing power steering and could hardly control the car. I would like to know what it takes for you to issue a recall "? people being in accidents or injured " this is well documented with other owners and with today's technology I am sure you can look into GMC's repair and complaint records and you will see that this is a serious problem.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Acadia 6-cyl

Power steering failure. It is intermittent. It is extremely dangerous. GM knows there is a problem. The Acadia is in the shop to be fixed. NHTSA must investigate.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jun 152014

Acadia 6-cyl

Vehicle becomes almost impossible to steer at low speeds. Problem is intermittent. Becoming more frequent and occurring at higher speeds. Very dangerous to drive, especially when stopped and attempting to turn out into traffic.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Jun 132014

Acadia 6-cyl

At low speeds power steering quits? extremely dangerous my wife almost had an accident.

- Owasso, OK, USA

May 122014

Acadia 6-cyl

I started experienced steering problems with my Acadia when traveling at low speeds when turning into my driveway or when parking. The steering wheel would start to bind and turning became very stiff. I checked the power steering fluid and it was low so I added fluid. However, the problem persisted. Now it has become even worse and occurs more frequently (I.e. when I am making a sharp turn at a traffic light, parking, and at low speeds on any sharp curve in the road). I have taken my vehicle to an authorized GMC dealer and had it evaluated and have been told there is "a gear going bad in the power steering pump" and it needs to be replaced. My vehicle is only 4 years old. I didn't expect a problem like this in my vehicle. I am trying to get the pump replaced as quickly as possible before I have a wreck because of the steering issues.

- Gloucester, VA, USA