Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: While the 2006 GMC Canyon doesn't show any major complaint trends, it's mechanically-identical counterpart is the 2006 Chevy Colorado which has some engine problems.

2006 GMC Canyon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 GMC Canyon:

2006 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Nov 182015

Canyon 4-cyl

It appears my ignition switch is defective. The passlock system engages for no reason and shuts off/disable ignition switch. If the folks reading this complaint researches ignition problems/passlock system on the internet, the dot will discover more information about this defect. I am available to help. Contact me anytime at H. (770) 631-0294. It appears there ignition switch may corrode and/or have defective contact that short out the switch. GM says my defect is rare and would not help me with the costs. I paid for the repair in order to avoid a tragedy, like my wife of 31 years or my grandkids dying in my defect Canyon. Thank you

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Feb 102012

Canyon 4-cyl

Brake pads wear out prematurely. A/C only works on high. Have had to replace brake pads 3 times over a period of 5 months. Mechanic mentioned that GMC is aware of the brake wear problem and offers various solutions. None of which work. Why is this issue not made clear when purchasing the vehicle!

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 122010

I noticed that, a lot of people are having problems with the ignition, sometimes if these vehicles don't start the first time you would have to wait 15 minutes and you have to step out and get back in, if you stay inside waiting for the 15 minute period, it will not start and you have to wait another 15 minutes. This is annoying specially if you're in a hurry.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 152013

Canyon 5-cyl

HVAC fan motor resistor & connector overheats melts and burns with temperature exceeding 300 deg F. chronic frequent problem with GMC Canyon and Chevy Colorado pick ups.

- Chester, NY, USA

Mar 102011

The truck will start sometimes and it won't sometimes. When the truck does not start I can usually wait about 15 mins and then it will start.

- Randleman, NC, USA

Nov 192011

Sometimes the truck will start sometimes it wont, lights on the panel fade in and out, sometimes half will be on and the other half out. We took it to the mechanic, he said its an electrical problem somewhere, hes working on it now trying to figure out where its coming from. I've looked on line and seen where several are complaining of the same problem, I've also called GMC.

- Bearden, AR, USA

Nov 182010

Canyon 5-cyl

2006 GMC Colorado, 5 cyl. Automatic. Defogger does not keep windows clear making visibility seriously reduced.

- Zanesville, IN, USA

Mar 012007

Canyon 4WD 5-cyl

I have a 2006 Canyon and in the last year I have had to replace tail lights, three sterios,4X4 buttons, windows, wiring has been repaired severial times, the truck is excessivly hard on gass, and as soon as my inline five cylinder engine hit 31.000 km I had to take it back to the dealer once again, this time for a new engine. Apparently there only good for thirty thousand and then need to be replaced. Hard to believe this truck cost me almost forty thousand dallors. Dont get what you pay for with a next truck will be a Toyota and this Canyon has convinced me to never buy another GM product again and hopfully I can save some people from making the same mistake I did.

- Darmouth, 00, USA

Jul 242006

Canyon 5-cyl

Vehicle caught fire for no apparent reason while parked in the driveway and was completely destroyed. We believe there was an electrical problem in the steering column because we had slight difficulties with the ignition switch.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA