Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The GMC Canyon is mechanically identical to the Chevy Colorado.

2009 GMC Canyon engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 GMC Canyon:

2009 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Nov 012015

Canyon 4WD 5-cyl

For several months now, vehicle will not start. Turn key, no click, no crank, nothing. All standard dash light come on, headlights are bright, all accessory items work fine, just no start. Have taken truck in to dealership twice now for problem, and no resolution. Starts every time for them. Last time took key and paperwork, went out to lot, got in, and no start, went back in to dealership, finally grabbed mechanic, went to truck, but it started ok. May not fail again for a day or more, then fail several times in same day. Failed to start today after pulling into gas station and getting fuel, would not start. Long line of cars behind me and situation got very ugly fast. Station owner/worker helped diffuse situation. If you let vehicle sit for 10-15 minutes between retries, it may start.

- Milford, PA, USA

Mar 122014

Canyon 4-cyl

Every few days the vehicle will not start.... the security light comes on.. you have to disconnect the battery and wait for about 10 to 15 minutes for the computer to reset before you can restart the vehicle. This has happened at least once to twice a week starting shortly after I purchased the vehicle... I have taken it back to dealership where I bought it from and they said they could not find out what the problem what because it did not do it to them. I asked if they started it and drove it several times for a few days like I do and they said no they just put it on a machine and could not find anything wrong. This I feel was something that was wrong with the vehicle when I bought it or happened for some reason shortly after when I still should have had a factory warranty... so it should be fixed at no charge to me... it is obviously a factor security defect. It has been going on for 7 months and I am tired of having to deal with it and all they tell me is we could not find anything wrong.. I don't feel like I should have to be paying for a vehicle that does not work properly.. it should be fixed so I have what I am paying for a properly working vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA