NHTSA — Steering Problems

2016 GMC Canyon steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 GMC Canyon:

2016 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Jan 052017

Canyon

Case # 10940128 while backing from a curb my power steering did not work and lost all steering control, dash message said "service power steering system" and had a dismiss button that I pushed and then immediately my steering returned, I called on star which did a diagnostic test and reported no problems, I drove it home, and took it to the dealers the next morning they plugged it in found a problem code, there was a service bulletin out on it, and the part oem 22966597 had to be back ordered, and which told me this is a common problem, and was told that they had two other trucks with the same problem earlier that year, I as even told to drive the vehicle until the part came in which I refused due to the safety issue of losing control of the truck I the power steering failed

- Breckenridge, MN, USA

Jan 062017

Canyon

The contact owns a 2016 GMC Canyon. Upon starting the vehicle and reversing, the power steering failed and the service power steering warning indicator flashed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Breckenridge, MN, USA

Oct 012016

Canyon

The contact owns a 2016 GMC Canyon. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering and stability control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle began to jerk, the speed reduced, and the power steering failed. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle in order for the power steering and speed control to function correctly. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,300.

- Garland, TX, USA

Dec 292015

Canyon

On 12/29.2015 at approximately 8:00 am on a clear bright day I was driving near my my home returning from and errand. I was approximately 90% through a slight right turn when the electronic power steering went out causing the vehicle to leave the road, continue down a ditch hitting a concrete drive, concrete mail box and a power pole. The vehicle was totaled and I had soft tissue bruising, cuts and abrasions.

- Wright City, MO, USA

Apr 082016

Canyon

The contact owns a 2016 GMC Canyon. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V054000 (steering) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Dec 292015

Canyon

Faulty electric power steering caused vehicle veer off the rode hitting a concrete wall, concrete mail box and telephone. Vehicle was totaled. The vehicle was North bound a two black top road at a slight right hand turn.

- Wright City, MO, USA