Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 11 of 34)

Aug 032010

Civic LX 4 cyl

We've had this car for about 5 years. It was purchased used with ~50000 miles. We're currently at 160000 miles which is pretty good but we where under the impression that Honda's would go beyond 200000 with almost no problems. Our Transmission has failed due to a torque converter. This seems to be a major flaw in 2001 Honda Civic transmissions and it doesn't seem that Honda cares to do anything about it. The most aggregating part is that just months ago we paid $400 at our Honda dealership to have our car inspected for any defects and they didn't catch a complete transmission failure.

- , Waukesha, WI, USA

Jun 042010

Civic EX 1.7L

Well I always thought that Civics are great. I did own a 98 civic 168 k miles and I sold it - never had a problem, but the 01 civic ex 17 Vtec US built automatic transmission is worth nothing. I am still looking to find a solution how to go about it, so it wouldn't be a lot of money. If anyone have installed an automatic transmission from 03 04 civic and it did fit into a 2001 civic please let me know. From what I see the trans mount is different and I'm not sure if I need a newer ECM.

- , Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Aug 012010

Civic DX

My car just stopped in the middle of abusy street and it would rev as soon as I was about to move forward on a green light and then the car would not go past 40km/hr and once I stopped my check engine light came on and then the car would not go past 20km/hr. I managed to get myself to a garage station and then it completey stopped. I was far from home, I had to tow my car to my local mechanics and it has been there for 4 days so far with no news because he can/t find and old Transmisson and the TRANSMISSION SHOPS ARE CLOSED FOR HOLIDAY!!

It really is difficult to go to work and to get things done without a car. And now that I see that it is a common problem it really upsets me that Honda would not warn me that I should pay extra attention to my transmission.

- , Dorval, Quebec, Canada

Jan 052008

I was travelling out of town after having the transmission replaced. The transmission would not go into gear on the interstate. I nursed it onto the side of the road and eventually the exit so not the burn up the engine. There was water in the radiator and there was a recent oil change at Honda. I called Honda and made them tow me to their closest dealership. They made me stay in the town I was close to making me miss work. They then rented me a car. They were not going to fix it at all, except that I got an oil change from them right before I drove it.

I want to tell everyone to push for what you need done!!!!! Even if you have to make a scene, call for the manager in front of customers, etc. Be politically correct but forceful, because they are obviously not concerned with our well being to let these things go on like this and try to make us pay for it!!!!!!

- , Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Oct 012007

The transmission started to slip for about a week not going into gear. The dealership told me I would have to pay for it. Then within a week it completely stopped working in the middle of an intersection without warning in rush hour traffic!!!!!!! I guess people have to die for Honda to issue a recal! !!!!!!!!!!!!! I never complain publicly, but when I saw this site I was outraged. The dealership only paid for it because they said all the lights on the dash came on registering that it wasn't anything I HAD DONE. I had to pay for a rental for $120. and was thankful noone hit me in traffic. You will see me posting other complaints because this is not the last one on this car or the transmission...

- , Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jul 162010

Civic EX 1.7L 4-Cycle

I was driving from Oakland to San Francisco on the Bay Bridge when I started having car problems. I was pressing the gas pedal, the engine was revving up, but the car’s speed was slowly decreasing (average speed for traffic on the bridge was 50-60 MPH). Concerned about my safety, I pulled over to the right hand lane. I immediately changed my route and decided to take my car directly to a Honda Service Center. Along the way, the car's engine continued to rev, and it had a hard time maintaining its speed. I was going 20 mph. By the time I arrived at the service center my hazard lights were lights were on and I was barely going 10 MPH. My check engine light went on 8 blocks before reaching my destination. Before this incident, my car ran smoothly.

Technicians hook the car up to a machine for a diagnostic test which produced a DTC Code P0730. The corrective action per Honda based on this code was to replace the entire transmission. I contacted American Honda requesting a “good will repair since my vehicle had regular maintenance checks and only had 78,851 miles on it. Honda stated that the vehicle was old, and since I couldn'tt produce paperwork confirming that the transmission fluid had been drained and replaced, they couldn'tt help me. The final cost was $3,412.30.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 032010

Civic EX 1.7L

I was driving home in rush hour traffic, leaving my Daughter's school soccer practice to take her to her competitive soccer practice when out of nowhere, My civic just stops moving. I'm at a red light, in the middle lane and as the light turns green, the engine rpm's go up but the transmission will not go into gear. Now I have to get my car over two lanes of congested traffic and try to get my Daughter and I safely out of harms way. There were no warnings to this problem and I cannot believe that of all cars, my civic had this problem. All your hear is how reliable these cars are and how all you have to do is routinely maintain them. That's a bunch of bull. I don't have the money to fix the problem so now I'm waiting to save up $1800 to rebuild the transmission. I will definitely do my homework before i buy my next car and it won't be a Honda.

- , Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Jul 222010

Civic LX

Honda needs to correct this problem with my 2001 Honda civic ...this is not normal for the amount of miles on my car ... transmission failure at 80,000 miles.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 052010

Civic LX 4DR

My transmission also failed after about 94K of no significant problems. Just got off the freeway in Hollywood, started to choke around 20mph, managed to maneuver into some clear red curb / drive way area off the side of the road (after getting honked at). I actually stumbled across this site a few months back so have been living in fear since I crossed the 90K mark, and hoping to get lucky. (nope).

I had a 70K extended warranty, but that didn't do much considering this hit nearly 2 years later. The Honda dealer is checking with Honda USA about extending a deal of some sort to me. They quoted me $3664 to replace, Honda won't do a rebuild, and it also needs new brake pads ($450) and new front strut dust boots and struts ($850), plus an oil change, bringing the total up to $5K to get it repaired. Plus it needs about $500 in cosmetic work for some dings to make it "good" condition. The Blue Book Private Party value on it is $5025. Sigh. If Honda doesn't step up, I may just go buy a used BMW.

Update from Aug 11, 2010: Honda USA offered a discount ($2400 for transmission fix), with 3 year warranty.

Update from Aug 20, 2010: Got it fixed by Honda, picked up at 8am last Thursday. Last Friday, 4:30pm, I feel the transmission start to slip as I coast (feels like it's randomly changing gears as I coast before braking to a stop). I get on the freeway, the transmission won't go past 2nd gear I think because I can't break 30mph, even with a revving engine-- the engine light goes on. I got off the freeway and drove 45 min on surface streets back to Honda. 2 bad transmissions in one week? Enterprise Rent-a-Car has another $175 of my money, and I've now spent $350 on rental cars this month. Honda, I'm not impressed.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 292010

Civic EX

I was driving my 2001 Honda Civic Ex (automatic transmission) for about 25 minutes and when I was making a U-turn the car suddenly would not accelerate. I pressed on the gas pedal and hear the engine rev but would not go forward. Turned the car on and off a few times and tried pressing on the gas but it would not move, even though engine was revving. Would not reverse either. Felt like car was in Park. Had car towed to transmission repair shop, charged $91 to have transmission fluid drained and mechanic found metal pieces in it. Was told rebuilt transmission would cost in range of $2800-$3400. I declined because cannot afford repairs. Researched issue on internet and found transmission problems are common in 2001 Honda Civic. Astounded that there has not been a recall on this transmission given the complaints.

I called the Honda Customer Service, 1-800-999-1009 and requested a "courtesy repair" and was told to have the car towed to a Honda dealership so the problem could be diagnosed by a Honda tech. However, they offer no guarantee that they will pay for the repair!! Nor will they pay to have it towed. Also, in order to diagnose issue Honda tech would have to disassemble transmission and I would be stuck paying the dealership for the repairs. Sucks!

Update from Aug 9, 2010: UPDATE: Ended up taking my 2001 Honda Civic to local Honda dealership. The service manager worked with American Honda to get me a 10% discount on repairs. According to service manager, American Honda didn't want to help pay for transmission, but he argued with them and finally got 10% discount. Big deal. Still cost me $2305 to replace transmission, plus $165 for new axel! Now I have an oil leak as well. Had oil leak fixed 14 months ago at a different Honda dealership but warranty on repairs was only for 12 months, so I need to pay out of pocket for that as well. Damn Honda.

Update from Sep 19, 2010: Update: About 5 weeks after transmission replaced, I had problem with car yet again. Was driving and engine would rev when I accelerated over 20 mph. Pulled over and immediately called Honda dealership where transmission was installed. Told to bring my car in. I had a scary drive down the interstate, with engine revving and engine light on. Afraid car transmission would die at any minute on busy interstate. Was a Friday afternoon, so had to wait until Monday afternoon to find out what the problem was. I was told that the tech, while installing my transmission, entered a wrong computer code and it caused the problem. They fixed the problem at no charge and had given me a rental car over the weekend. But I could have been seriously injured because of some dumb Honda technicians error!

- , austin, TX, USA

Jul 292010

Civic LX 1.7L

Today bad lock, I bought this car not longer than 1 month and this happen, lose power, slippage, and get to the light, when to move no way, pull to right by pushing and left there. I have to go tonight to pick it up. I have no money to invest and I need it so bad, this is really bad situation, I never thought about Honda at 100500 miles to fail. I have an Acura TL 96 and I pass 222 000 miles and still running. But this civic, I thought is the best deal, and now put a lot of money on it. No worth it. Honda need to do something about this.

- , Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jul 232010

Civic EX

Honda's usually run forever when well maintained, which we do very well. Our transmisson should not be failing us right now.

- , Page, AZ, USA

Jul 072010

Civic LX 1.7L

The transmission failed on a busy highway, how this is not a safety issue is beyond me. You may not crash into another car, but you can certainly get hit by a bad driver.

Repairing the transmission is gonna cost over $2500 at a reputable shop. Bought the car new because it was a honda, what a disappointment. Next car wont be a Honda for sure.

With all the recalls going on right now, Honda should just issue a recall on these badly made transmission. My 89 civic died of a crash, not of a bad transmission.

- , Hampton, GA, USA

Jul 012010

Civic EX 1.7L

Terribly made transmission. Should not go out this early after normal wear and tear as often as it has. Honda should be fixing this problem or rebuilding better transmissions for us all.

This is ridiculous. The car would have never been bought had this problem been known to occur this often. It can't even be fixed, just replaced. Seems like a scam by Honda. I hope a major recall is done to show Honda that it needs to solve the problem on its own before a bigger authority steps in.

- , Santa Monica, CA, USA

Jun 262010

Civic LX 1.7L

Well I took my car to Pep Boys for a free code check turns out to be p0740 ( TCC ) , so I went to the local Honda dealer. Told them specifically what was wrong and showed them the code was given by pep Boys. So I stated to them that I didn't want to pay them their $102.00 dollar diagnosis charge so that they can just end up telling me what I just told them. So they stated to me and my wife that , that would NOT happen if we paid them. The service guy even stated to me and my wife that they would PIN POINT the exact problem, so finally we left the car their and paid them. MISTAKE!....Finally about 3 hours later when we go in, he states to me exactly what I had told him from the beginning, so I told him what's the point for paying the diagnosis for? He said he couldn't diagnose it correctly unless he takes apart the transmission. Was so pissed off about now, after he tells me I would have to replace the transmission at a cost about $3,200.00...WOW...Has anyone gone or is going through the same problem? Any advise or can anyone refffer me to any website or phone # on who to contact?

- , Hesperia, CA, USA

Jun 222010

Civic EX

Same story as everyone else. Faulty torque converter destroyed the transmission. Honda America wouldn't help out. Total cost 3100 for a remanufactured transmission. Can not believe Honda could sell a lemon like this in the US and getaway with it. Thanks for nothing Honda.

- , Vernon, CT, USA

Jul 182010

Civic LX 1.7L

Driving to my mechanic from work in the pouring rain. Car will not shift into second then rev goes way up and transmission completely broke. Had it towed going to cost me $2100 for a tranny with 64,000 miles on it with a 6 month warranty. I'm selling this car after the warranty. I will buy an older Honda Civic i love Honda and Civics but they really messed up in 2001 i wish they would pay for it =[

- , New Bedford, MA, USA

Jun 242010

Civic EX

Its not fun to be driving in the middle of the night on the freeway and all of the sudden your car stops without any warning, then the check engine light turnon after the car wouldnt run.I think that Honda should do a re call on their 2001 civic transmissions because they have a good reputation when they dont deserve it!!!!

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 132010

Civic LX

click to see larger images

transmission failure

My car just failed on me right in the middle of the road in Hollywood. Luckily I was able to roll it to a parking spot. I didn't know what was wrong at that time, so I let it cool down while I grabbed a snack and tried again after an hour or so. My car started moving again on this uphill road when it suddenly started rolling backwards that we had to kill it and push-parked it to the nearest spot. Towing alone cost $200. I found out that my torque converter failed and that worst case scenario, it ruined my transmission too. That's going to cost way too much than I bargained for. THANKS HONDA!

- , Downey, CA, USA

Jul 072010

Civic EX

I was driving down a highway doing highway speeds on my way home from work. I was coming down a hill when i see traffic so i hit the breaks to stop and as the cars in front of my started to move my car when i hit the gas just revved up and wouldnt move far at all. I was attemping to get to the side of the road out of the way of other people and my car refused to move with me sitting in the middle of the highway. It revved and wouldnt go anywhere. Finally my fiance showed up and helped me move the car to the side(putting it in to nuetrle and he pushed me to the side of the road. I had to pay Almost $200 to have my car towed to my mechanic only to be told the transmission is bad and it would cost me $2650 to replace it.

I am still paying the car off and it wasnt even worth it to fix it. So now i am without a car and pying off a car that i cant drive anyway. From research i have done this car is known for it but for whatever reason honda refuses to recall the car. I am lucky to be alive. If it wasnt for the traffic and my car seized up the way it did doing the highway speed i could have died. Honda needs to recall this car since it is obviously dangerous!

- , New Windsor, NY, USA