Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 13 of 34)

Mar 262010

I had problems for 2 months before my transmission finally went. Over those two months it felt like it was driving smoothly when I would turn it on for about the first 10 minutes of my drive (it revved loudly and felt like I was driving through sand). So I took it to my Honda dealer who couldn't hear or feel anything. Well it continued to get worse and I heard a loud bang every so often so I took it in again. This time after me pressuring them again to look at it after they didn't find anything the only thing they said was that my emergency break could be sticking and to not use it for a week. Two days after that I went to leave work and my car wouldn't engage-I tried to drive it to the shop but didn't make it there. I ended up needing a new transmission. I was angry because my transmission went in my last car and that's why I bought a Honda but with this few of miles on it I couldn't believe it. I called the dealer again because I was angry that I had it in there twice before this happened and they didn't catch anything (they only kept checking the electrical work) but they said they couldn't give me a discount to fix it or help out and to call American honda. So I did and what a joke they said that unless it was close to the original warranty with miles they wouldn't even process a request for assistance and even then I would have to have it towed to my dealer and pay for the $200 consultation (why would I do that when they couldn't even do it the first time?). I said that since I had the extended warranty that just ran out would that make a difference and they said no. I also brought up the number of complaints I have seen online for the 2001 Honda Civic and my shop said they couldn't tell me the last time they've seen on in for transmission failure. ha Needless to say after horrible customer service and car problems I will not be buying a Honda again. I had to drive my parents care while mine was in the shop and they also have a 2001 Honda Civic and I swear that it was starting to have the same problems as mine. I suggested they trade it in while they can.

- , Glenshaw, PA, USA

May 122010

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

I bought this car at 94,000 miles hearing about how reliable, dependable, etc honda civics were. I am a graduate student with very little money, so I intentionally picked a vehicle I thought would require little maintenence. I got about 6,000 miles out of this piece of junk before the automatic transmission failed. On Monday of last week I started experiencing slippage while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. I drove the car to school Tuesday and Wednesday with similar problems. During this time I had no problem getting up to highway speeds or using reverse.

On Wednesday night I started the car and heard a whining sound. When I put the car in drive it did not engage and would increase in RPM upon pressing the accelerator but the car would not move at all, same for reverse gear. I had to have a tow home and now I am picking it up tonight after a complete rebuild which is costing me $2,278. This is not the kind of expense I expected to put into a $5,500 car after three and a half months!!! They told me the torque converter had failed and the transmission was ruined as a result. Let's hope for a recall or class action lawsuit, I would jump on that in a minute!!!

- , Glastonbury, CT, USA

May 172010

Civic LX 3.2L

I was driving my 2001 Honda Civic and it began acting like it was stuck in neutral. The shop that towed it said it was transmission failure and it is common in 2001 Hondas. I would like to know why it has not been recalled. The cost of the repair is $2,500. and I only have 90,000 miles on the car. I though 90,000 miles for a Honda is "just broke in": What a dissapointment! I don't think I will buy another Honda.

- , 134 Lewis Brown Drive, Somerset, USA

Oct 012009

Civic DX 1.7L

I purchased this vehicle from a private seller. I was informed that the transmission had just been rebuilt after 85,000 miles, which seemed strange for a honda. anyhow I bout the car with a little over 110000 miles on it. after driving the car for a couple of months, the car decides to fail completely on a busy freeway. (not a safety issue!) my behind, I nearly got smashed by a bigrig. I proceeded to the nearest exit at 10 mph, mind you. after letting the car rest for a couple of minutes, the vehicle started up as usual and seemed to be fine.

A couple of weeks later my wife is driving to my inlaws, with my 4 yr and new born daughters only to come across the same situation. she was stuck in the middle of the street because of transmission failure once again. She managed to get the car to the side of the road but not befor she got rear ended by a knucklehead tailgater. not much of an impact, thank God, but a good scare for her and my eldest.

not wanting for this to accure again, I went to a transmission shop to get it worked on again. the car ran fine for a couple of weeks and then failed again with the code p740. this problem is related to torque converter solenoid switch. this caused the vehicle to lock up and leave you stranded whereever it accured. this come without warning. It's a danger to anyone.

Honda has taken us for fools and thinks they could just shine this on by saying there's no recall for this matter. I want everyone to know that the civics of this perticular year are a danger and I myself am looking for legal representation after being shined on by the honda dealers. If we could fix everything by just saying "sorry" it would be a heck of a world to live in, but I'm still $1200 dollars in the hole and stuck with a crappy transmission which Honda obviousely has no consideration for. So if anyone has a good lawyer for this or is starting a class action lawsuite "PLEASE" inform me. Thank You

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 212010

Civic LX

Tranny failed again. Called customer service when I found out that there have been numerous failures of this type. Honda even has a web page which says to try to get a "goodwill replacement". Wish I had seen it the last time I had a new transmission put in. It's only a matter of time before I replace the car. So much for Honda reliability!

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 172007

Civic LX

Tranny failed. Car wouldn't move forward or back. Had it replaced with a new tranny expecting it would last and was a one off incident. I guess I wasn't alone.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

May 052010

Civic LX 1.7L

Another automatic transmission bites the dust with less than 84000 miles. My daughter was driving and without any indications the car just started slowing down and the RPM started going up. She said the car would not go over 40mph. She tried to make it to a parts store to see if the computer spit out a code but could not make it up the hill. She had to roll backwards down the hill to get the car turned around. She finally made it to her house but it would not pull up the driveway. She was lucky that she was not on a freeway or on a busy street at the time. I have contacted Honda since there are so many failures related to the 2001 Civic's with automatic transmissions to see why they do not recall these. I feel like this is a safety issue and either a recall should be done or they should own up to the problem and correct it when (and it will) the transmission does fail.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

May 052010

Civic LX-G

Wow, wish I had known about the 2001 Civic problem a few years earlier. Then I would've been able to sell the car for a better price. Now it's a piece of junk, sitting in my parking space waiting to get fixed.

It died on me on the road like everyone else's. I had a whining sound for a while, but thought it might have been the timing belt or maybe even the alternator. I was going to have the transmission fluid replaced, but it didn't make it. I'm shocked, to say the least, the problems the Civic has, as I bought it thinking I'd run it to the ground and get a new one. But I didn't think it would happen in less than 9 years! I'm quite disappointed with Honda and looking to buy a Toyota next.

- , Burnaby, BC, Canada

Apr 302010

Civic EX 2.0four cyl

Hey...I guess I am not alone with this problem.My transmission died in the parking lot at work and had to tow it to AAMCO (highly acclaimed recognized dealer and much cheaper than Honda) .I was stuck between a rock and a hard place.My car was bought with 39,000 from a dealership (Autoway Dodge) 2.5years ago. A one owner car,(elderly lady who had all maintenance records). I chose Honda for its reputation and am very disappointed in HONDA. They did not come through for me this time. I have own several Hondas and Toyotas. I got my car fixed and took the loss. SOLD it last week and bought a new 2010 HYUNDAI ELANTRA with 10yr/100,000 drive train/trans warranty.

I am certainly in no position to fork out 2000 and will pursue this issue with Honda and the BBB.

A Happy Hyundai owner now

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

May 212010

Civic LX 1.8L

Pretty much the same complaint,my transmission blew on the middle of the highway and I have to get it towed and to nearest Honda dealership.And then they obviously have to charge me 95 dollars to look at it called Diagonist Fee and then I was told to get a new transmission.This is f*cked Up,never had a problem before with HONDA, thou I love Honda I never seen such problems before..

- , Albany, NY, USA

Apr 122010

Civic EX

I just purchased an 01 Honda civic EX just yesterday with the transmission down. I thought it would be a easy fixed due to the fact that I can get it repaired by a friend and just buy the transmission for a 1000 or so. However, after coming across this website I NOW KNOW that I made THE BIGGEST mistakes in my life. Now I am thinking of getting the car running and selling it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It is not worth my money or time because I'm a college student who doesn't need to add on more stress esp. knowing that the transmission IS gonna break down anytime and I'm a girl who know nothing when it comes to my car braking down in the street. The problem with transmission is exactly how all the rest of the complaints describe it. DO NOT PURCHASE an 01 honda civic if your even thinking about it. "MAJOR REGRET!"

- , Fresno, CA`, USA

May 062010

Civic ES 2.0L

My wife bought my son a 2001 Honda Civic from a local dealership with 17,000 miles on it as the former owner kept the car in great shape and put little mileage on the car. We made a terrible mistake in not having the repair shop not test the car for any mechanical problems. The dealership put pressure on my wife to buy the car or someone else would because of it's great condition and low miles. Needless to say my wife made the decision. My son has been using the car for 2 years and did not have problems until recently when the car started shaking. I took the car to a reputable car repair facility who had to replace the ball joints and indicated the transmission was going to imminently fail. The owner of the car repair ship indicated the 2001 Honda Civic has a history of transmission problems and he would check with the dealer to see if the manufacturer would replace. The Car dealership responded it's the owner's problem. I have purchased 3 Honda Accords and been very satisfied with their performance and reliability. I am calling Honda but feel very pessimistic they will account for the systemic transmission problems and live up to the poor workmanship and higher than acceptable failure rate. I feel like I have been ripped off

and will reluctantly buy Honda as I have never had a problem with the Toyota's I have purchased and used. The moral lesson is to always have a skilled mechanic check a car out before buying. It's well worth the $50.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 242010

Civic LX

My daughter's 2001 Honda Civic's transmission stopped working on the interstate leaving her stranded. We have owned several hondas and never had a problem. Still own a honda van. This was such an odd thing to happen. We actually thought there might have been fowl play with the transmission fluid. I got curious and started researching the web when I came across this site. I also went to the NHTSA site to see if I could lodge a complaint, which you can.

I would suggest that everyone that has this problem go to and in the upper right hand corner in a blue box you can submit your complaint. You should also contact the Better Business Bureau and submit a complaint. There is a action in numbers, so I would encourage all of you to complain, not only to Honda, but to as many places as possible.

- , Midwest City, OK, USA

Apr 182010

Civic LX

Pretty much the same complaint. 01 Honda Civic, about 120,000.My wife was driving late at night and the car just gave up and would not go faster than 2 miles an hour. It happened as she was coming off of the highway and she barely made it out. She put her hazards and was lucky enough that a tow truck happened to be nearby. She was towed to a near garage and we have to go there at 8am tomorrow to find out all the details.What sucks is that we have a 9 am appointment at a doctor with our baby and then i have to go to work too.Don't know how we are going to do all this. On top of that with the new baby and possibly another one soon, we were looking to buy another,bigger and this time new car. Our obvious choice was Honda, but after reading the amount of complaints i think we will go for a Toyota instead ( at least they are owning up to their mistake and i am sure due to that their cars will be more reliable than any others now). Bye Honda!

- , Arverne, NY, USA

Apr 302010

Civic LX 4.0L

was driving home from work and the car started to act up I knew it was the tranmission I never did get home as I was trying to get up a hill with the car just wanting to get home it just died called AAA got towed and then started looking on the net for problems with Honda Civics and found this site I am talking with the dealership in am and after reading that is a common problem with the civics I am going to have a fight on my hand to get this car fixed I need a reliable car I have a disabled son that I need to get around and this is a big problem no car but I am going to try and get them to take some the cost off of me I have always maintained my car did all the scheduled services and now the car just dies this is awful

- , Weymouth, MA, USA

Aug 022009

Civic LX 4 cyl

I had never missed a scheduled maintenance for my Honda Civic. When the transmission died after less than 60,000 miles in less than 8 years of ownership (200 miles from home) , my dealer service manager (with whom I am on a first name basis) could offer no advice other than to make sure to use an an authorized Honda service station so that I would get a new certified Honda transmission. Totally clueless that the transmission on these vehicle has been failing all over the world. The rebuilt Honda transmission died 6 months later with the same premonitory slipping. When yet another shop repaired it, the mechanic had no idea why it had failed.

Wake up, America, the Japan of our youth has been resurrected, once again a byword for slipshod manufacture precision engineered to die shorty after the expiration of warranty. I have since purchased a GM sedan for less than a new Civic would have cost and it it doesn't feel like a toy. Buy American.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 172010

Civic EX

Ok, so the mileage is just a guess. I have to do some math there because my speedometer went out a few years ago and I had to replace the dash cluster. It's a close estimate though. So for a while my boyfriend has been telling me to get my transmission checked because he thought it was acting strange. I didn't think it was a problem since it had felt the same as when I bought the car 4 years ago. About a month ago it decided to start making whining noises and then it didn't last too long after that. The next day I couldn't even get up the small hill by our house on the way to work. I managed to get to work then drop my car off to pick up an extra car that my mom has.

This car is really turning into a piece of junk. I thought Honda's were supposed to last forever? My dad has one that is still running great and it's 10 years older than mine!!

- , Santa Fe, NM, USA

Mar 232010

Civic LX

I've always maintained my 2001 Honda Civic carefully and had never had a significant problem before now. My transmission failed suddenly, and I have fewer than 90,000 miles on it. The whole reason I chose a Honda Civic in the first place was that it was a relatively inexpensive car that was supposed to be reliable and have great longevity. The local Honda dealership says I need an entirely new transmission that will cost $3,250! Because it's very reasonable to expect a Honda to last over 125,000 miles, I was not financially prepared for this kind of expense.

I can not afford to buy a new car, and maybe not even a used one, so I am extremely disappointed. I've asked Honda to do some goodwill repair on this since I see the '01 Civics have commonly have had this problem. I do feel that they should take care of the cost. If they don't and I am therefore dependent on bus transportation, I will have a huge bone to pick with them and may have to consider litigation.

- , Kennesaw, GA, USA

Mar 222010

Civic LX 1.7L

Another one BITES THE DUST!!! As well documented by 400+ others on this site. My daughters 2001 Honda Civic's transmission just quit on her on the interstate, leaving her stranded in rush hour. She had no prior notice or symtoms or warning just stopped in the middle of the road!!! Had it towed to the Honda dealership, checked out and Honda will not let the dealership repair the tranny, it has to be replaced with a rebuilt one to the tune of $2900. the dealership was proactive and contacted American and reduced the charge to $1500. BUT THE CAR ONLY HAS 77,000 MILES, even thou it is 9 years old. The reason we purchased a HONDA is for reliability, in which we have experienced with 7 honda's owned in the past 25 years. This one let us down.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 042010

Civic LX 1.7L I4

When I purchased the car for my kid who was going to college, I purchase the car used from a private dealer for $9k three years ago with 66k miles. It is now 123k miles with transmission problem. I used consumer reports to look at problem vehicles and didn't see any problems with this vehicle. Mostly solid red no white bubbles in consumer reports for the 2001 model. I was unaware of this site and didn't search Google 3 years ago. Lesson learned here. The problem with the transmission is that when you start to accelerate to about 20 mph, the car starts to rev and doesn't appear to shift gears. I have to let go off the accelerator pedal then press on it again then it goes up to 50 mph but afraid to go past this speed. Recently, it appears that keeping in drive car does not accelerate. I have to move it to the 2 gear to get it to move again.

I called Honda American Service and said they couldn't do anything about it. It is going to cost $3500 to repair from Honda dealer with 36000 mile warranty. I informed their cust. rep. that I have 3 other Hondas and will never buy another Honda again. I am looking to put them on the market while they are still running. It appears that buying a used car is a big risk and hit and miss when it comes to reliability. It is better to buy lease for 3 years that has warranty. Toyota has a 2010 Corolla LE lease deal until 5/3/2010 for $159/month 3 year 36000 mile warranty with 2 years maintenance free on oil change and tire rotation and $999 down with $500 rebate which is $400 out of your pocket down. I appreciate this website and learned my lesson with used cars and buying new cars.

- , Woodway, TX, USA