CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 15 of 34)

Feb 052010

Civic LX 1.7L

Bought 2001 honda civic lx in 2001. had it since, bone stock, basically babied it. At 60K miles, tranny failed, and under warranty, instead of giving me a new tranny hansel honda of petaluma decides to give me a rebuilt tranny with 50K miles, not giving me a choice. This was in 05-06 and since then i have put 80K miles on the second tranny. The other day this one fails on me also. I am now out of warranty and basically have to either dish out $3K for a tranny from honda plus pay for labor OR buy from auto dismantlers for $1K and pay for labor. Either way im screwed for a car that is worth about $4-5 grand.

There has to be a freaking recall on these transmissions... this is outrages. I am going to send in a complaint to a local tv station here so that they can show the public what is going on(we have a segment where the news channel helps local people with these kinds of situations). Its sad though the dealerships should acknowledge the problem and help cover the cost fully or at least partially.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Jan 052010

Civic ES 4

Yesterday - I didn't know this site existed. That was before my son called from college-town, said he'd been diagnosed as needing new tranny on the 2001 Civic. Earlier, dealer completed check - had suggested it might need a sensor. Now, car is stopped - and new tranny call comes from local garage. So... I found this site just now, and wanted to add this to the list. I just wasn't aware Hondas had the problem - looks like I'll be getting in line behind all of the other posters here, to purchase a new tranny for the kid!

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Nov 012009

Civic ES 4 cyl

Like everyone else I bought a Honda Civic thinking reliabilty and long life. Like most I kept up with the required servicing. I recently gave the car to my granddaughter who was driving it when the transmission went. A young, fairly inexperienced driver - I shudder to think what could have happened.

Honda, of course, doesn't seem to care that they have a substandard vehicle out there on the roads that could potentially result in a serious accident - or worse. Just think - only about 400 complaints have been registered here but there are lots of people whose complaints aren't registered because they don't know about this site. Add to that all the unfortunate Civic owners who haven't already experienced the problem and have no idea what's coming

I was told it isn't worth replacing the transmission because the 2001 transmission itself is the problem, being faulty to begin with. Even if I could afford it, which I can't, why put in a new transmission costing $3,000 that will ultimately result in the same problem?

Why isn't Honda giving their customers the same consideration as Toyota who is making good on the gas pedal problem? I will NEVER buy another Honda and no one else in my family will either. Honda would be much smarter to follow Toyota's lead.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

May 152008

Civic LX 4 cyl

I wrote one of these a few days ago but it seems it never got posted or was lost somehow. So I wont write out the 5 paragraph report again..BOTTOM LINE bought my Civic in Florida brand new 2001, honda civic transmission gave out on me at 110k mile no warning what -so ever, Honda refuses to cover any of the repair cost, tow cost or service cost, I was on vacation in Canada (Toronto) when it gave out. had to pay $1000 to tow my vehicle back to the USA ! Honda Canada has no agreement with Honda USA! so in other words even if the car was new! and had the remaining factory warranty and failed on me in Toronto, Honda Canada would make me pay full price out of pocket for repairs and Honda USA will NOT reimburse you !

Buyer beware !!! be afraid of Honda at all cost! Toyota will service your car no matter where you bought it, if you're under warranty. Honda is no better than there American counterparts they claim are beneath them. I'd love Consumer Reports Magazine to start rating vehicles of the complaints received here.! Honda reliability.. HA! my 89" chevy nova (aka: toyota corolla) still runs better and has gone 250+k miles with minimal repairs needed. I will buy a Toyota from here on out !

- , Ocala, FL, USA

Feb 012010

Civic EX

My daughter was driving her honda civic to school and it just quit running, leaving her stranded on the road. She is over 300 miles away and we bought this car thinking it was very reliable,... what a joke! Honda is not doing anything but documenting the complaint. I drive a Pilot but will not buy another Honda. We are fixing the car because we can't afford a car payment right now. I'm sure it is only a matter of time before the transmission goes again since this is an auto defect.

- , Satellite Beach, FL, USA

Jan 282010

Civic DX 2.4L

f*cking worthless transmission honda needs to recall this sh*t cause mine went out on the interstate luckaly my friend was behind me with his truck so he could push me up the next off ramp and into a gas station.

- , Arden, nc, USA

Dec 022009

Civic

2001 civic -ran great until yesterday-high pitch whistling sound started -no check engine light came on , driving my family to ball game, just stopped moving-engine was running but no movement-lucky I was on a somewhat rural road-

my friends own a junk yard and it will cost around 1000. to replace transmission. honda should have a recall for this issue. they probably won't cover my expense

- , Carmel, IN, USA

Dec 022009

Civic EX

Ok I bought my 2001 Honda Civic new based on my prior experiences with Honda. I drove 1995 Civic without any major mechanical problems for over 150,000 miles. Yesterday I was driving on the Triboro Bridge in NY, when out of nowhere I wasn't able to accelerate. My car died in the middle lane causing a major traffic jam for morning rush hour. I was towed to Honda and they immediately knew my transmission was shot. The service guy even said it is a common problem on the 01 Civic. A Honda tranny going at only 86,000., I thought that this was unheard of due to honda's reputation. But looking at this site, their rep it total crap.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Civic DX 1.7L

I came to know from this forum that civic has this known transmission failure, i got P0730 error code and my mechanic is saying you need to change the Transmission cost you roughly $2500. thats bad Honda should kick in to fix this problem

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Jan 022010

Civic EX

My husband was ridding with my 4 year old daughter on the back seat when the car stopped running; thanks God it was not on the highway and there were no cars around or a fatal accident would have happened. Took it to the Honda dealer, whom stated that the transmission was about to die: $3,500 to fix and no warranty (wish I knew earlier about this website and the Honda complaints on the tranny.) Found another mechanic who charged us $1,500 for a refurnished transmission. The car seems ok, but know I am worried because I ride an 2004 Accord and it seems that the tranny problems runs in those models too. Maybe I should try to file a complaint under Honda customer complaints.

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Jan 162010

Civic LX

This is just crazy, my Honda Civic has just done 75,000 miles in 9 years. I have always got it serviced in time and today the transmission failed. I was stranded on the road with my wife and 8 year old. I looked it up online and came to know that transmission failure is a known problem with Honda Civic 2001. Right now I have given the car to the closest Honda Dealer - Hamilton Honda at 655 US Highway 130, Hamilton, NJ 08691. This being a warmer Saturday, they are busy and I have not heard anything about the how much will cost to fix it. I AM NOT GOING TO PAY FOR THE REPAIRS, HONDA NEEDS TO PICK UP THE TAB!!!

- , Robbisnville, NJ, USA

Jan 192010

Civic LX 1.7L

After working 12 hours on nights left the parking lot and the problems started, like most of the other complaints the rpm's started going up without the transmission kicking in, this happened mostly in first and second gear at first. Finally got home 16 miles away and had to wait for the local transmission shop to open @ 8:00 am. When I got to the shop they took the car for a test drive and said I definitely had a problem only thing was they couldn't look at it for two days so I scheduled the appointment and decided to drive home, I made it about 10 blocks before the car wouldn't move anymore and I ended up pushing it back to the shop. I made some phone calls and ended up renting a car and that's where I am today waiting for the "official" diagnosis which I'm sure won't be good.

- , Williamstown, WV, USA

Jan 032010

Civic LX 1.7L

I just finished reading ALL of the OTHER complaints about the transmissions in the Honda Civics. It's a total shame that all of these cars are having the SAME problem and Honda doesn't see this as a PROBLEM. Apparently there is a major problem with the transmissions in this car. Honda is known for 'reliability" and "cars that last"...guess not this time !!! My wife was driving home in a snow storm and barely made it .Once she parked it, it didn't move again. There was no warning ! Bet your a_ _, I WILL NOT be buying another Honda. Subaru and Toyota look better all time.

- , Sugar Run, PA, USA

Jan 042010

Civic EX

Had my Honda for 4 years and it has been great to me until one morning when I went out to start my car I noticed the high pitched whistling noise not thinking much of it because of the really cold weather I went on with my business. On my way to school later that morning the car would slip when I was going to 20mph and wouldn't accelerate past that. It was -21 that morning with the windchill and this was a total inconvenience. I am very unhappy because I have friends with 1995 Honda civics with 350,000 miles on it going strong, there is obviously something wrong with these transmissions and it's ridiculous that there isn't a recall. I got an estimate of $1900.00 to replace the whole transmission. THIS IS BS!!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Jan 132010

Civic LX

There was no warning, no noise, change in performance, nothing. But suddenly when stopped at a light, it turns green and I start. I manage to get up to about 30mph, and acceleration stops. I crawled into my own driveway at 6 mph. I'm appalled. I meet all scheduled maintenance and take care of my car -- why then am I in this predicament? $2,400 and a semester in college is what my new transmission will cost me.

- , Winter Park, FL, USA

Jan 082010

Civic EX

Ughhhhhhh... My 2001 Honda civic ex I thought was in perfect condition. I just got a tune up and everything was fine. Then today the transmission went! It just stopped moving. After looking at this website I am upset to see that their are many people that have had the same problem! I am going to have to take it to a Honda dealership to see what is wrong with it. Has anyone filed a complaint to the Honda company? Or called a lawyer on this situation? Because there are many complaints on here and we should do something about this. If this is happening to 2001 Honda primarily then I think we have something here to fight.

- , Gloucester, NJ, USA

Jan 042010

Civic

WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR HONDA TO DO SOMETHING? I WAS DRIVING ALONG AND THE TRANNY QUIT WITHOUT WARNING. IT WAS LIKE A BOLT OF LIGHTNING! MY MECHANIC DOES NOT DO TRANSMISSIONS, SO HE CALLED A REPUTABLE GUY THAT HE ALWAYS WORKS WITH. WHEN ASKED ABOUT REBUILDING THEM, HE STATED THAT WHEN THESE THINGS GO, THEY REALLY GO. 90% ARE BEYOND FIXING. HE GAVE US A PRICE OF $1900. HE SAID THEY ARE "THROW AWAY TRANNIES", THAT THE BEST BET IS TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE PART AS OPPOSED TO REBUILDING. FIRSTLY, THE TRANS IS SMALL, WHICH MEANS SMALL GEARS AND CLUTCHES. SECOND, YOU HAVE TO DISMANTLE THE WHOLE THING JUST TO CLEAN OUT THE FRAGMENTS. AFTER REINSTALLING IT, HE SAYS YOU'LL BE BACK IN 6 MONTHS WITH THE SAME PROBLEMS. IT DOES NOT SOUND LIKE A CON JOB TO ME. HE SAID HE WOULD LOVE TO FIX IT FOR $1000, BUT I'D BE BACK SPENDING ANOTHER $1000 IN 6 MONTHS. HONDA HAD BETTER DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM. LOTS OF ANGRY MOTHER#@$%^'S OUT HERE.

- , Fair Lawn, N.J., USA

Jan 012010

Civic EX

Transmission Failure with only 80,000 miles on it. I took it in to the dealer and asked him while he was writing up the report ( to turn car in to see exactly what is wrong with it). Prior to this i read up and found out American Honda may help pay for some of this. So i said to the Honda service adviser, Is there any help out here for a guy like me. He said well you had an extended warranty but that ran out. He didn't mention the American Honda. So i did and then he said lets see whats wrong with it. A day later well it was the transmission. And he said it would cost 3100 and American Honda would pay 1000 of that. I said that wasn't good enough since 2001 Honda are infamous for transmission failure and should be replaced free. I called American Honda back and am waiting now for a call from the Regional Rep. Update forth coming.

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Dec 282009

Civic EX

Ok so on the 28th of December 09, my transmission failed for the 3rd time!!!!

-The 1st time it broke down was in December of 2005 when we were on our way back to L.A from Camarillo springs. Out of nowhere on the freeway the car just stops accelerating and just starts slowing down automatically. There were no signs of trouble on the way to Camarillo springs, except for when the car shut off in the parking lot.

-The 2nd time it broke I was on my way to the 101 freeway taking a shortcut through a neighborhood street where it out of nowhere the it starts slowing down again, luckily I found a spot to park it until the tow truck arrived, however the car did make a sound that sounded like the noise of a vacuum but muffled everytime I accelerated. I had a mechanic look at it and he didn't know what the noise was but if the car ran normally it should be fine, then it just breaks down from casual driving.

-The 3rd time, I had just gotten back to L.A from Santa Fe Springs and I was about 5 blocks away from home when out of nowhere the car starts shaking pretty bad when I accelerated between 2k-3k rpm, then it got to the point that it would shake accelerating when I barely even stepped on the pedal until it finally just wouldn't accelerate anymore. Once again I did notice beforehand that it would make that sound I mentioned before when I would accelerate but after a while it went away, it only made that sound when I would accelerate or first turn on the car to warm it up so I had a DIFFERENT mechanic look at it and he also couldn't determine the problem. He said that sound might be coming from the short ram intake I had installed 2 months before that sounded started.

I had bought the car from a private dealer and I don't know how much it had cost to get it fixed the past 2 times and i don't know how much it'll cost this 3rd time to get it fixed because my dad pays for it and he refuses to let me know how much he paid but we know some mechanics so I think we get a pretty decent discount.

Does anyone know if a 2004 transmission will work with my 2001 civic?

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 022010

Civic LX

I too have experienced transmission failure on my Honda. We were on our way back from VA and had just crossed the Bay Bridge tunnel, approximately 10 miles out when the transmission just gave out without warning. I had the car towed almost 194 miles to my mechanic's shop. AAA picked up 100 of those miles, the rest was on me. I called Honda America even though I knew they would not do anything, I just wanted my dispute documented. They said I had to take it to a Honda dealer and get it verified that it was the transmission that failed and not my lack of scheduled maintainence. He said that I would have to pay for the diagnosis. I told the customer service rep that I was not giving Honda any more of my money. I referred him to this website so he could see that there is a problem with this transmission, of course I know he already knew that.

I have decided I am not going to replace the transmission with the same thing only to have it happen again. Right now I am deciding on either having the trans rebuilt or just getting rid of the car. No way will I buy another Honda. Very disappointed.

- , Delaware City, DE, USA