CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 27 of 34)

Dec 172007

Civic LX

this is the fourth transmission in this car..I have switched to Toyota's.

- , Palacios, TX, USA

Apr 072008

Civic LX 1.7L

I am a proud driver of the Honda Civic 2001 model, and it has only 68K miles on it. About a month ago I heard a strange noise. So I went to a small mechanic shop near my home. The mechanic checked it out and said to me "It is a transmission problem. You have to fix it.� He went on to say that the 2001 Honda Civic was notorious for having a transmission problem. He showed me another Honda Civic exactly like my model and turned on the engine. When he did, the sound that I heard was identical to that of mine.

As a result of the events, I researched this particular case on the internet and was amazed to see how many times this has happened. I found two web-site.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Civic/2001/transmission/transmission_failure.shtml http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/results.cfm

With all the results of the research I sincerely believe that Honda needs to take responsibility for this problem. It is not just a mechanical problem, but more importantly a problem with safety.

Therefore, I called Honda America as I had seen advised on the board and they told me that all the cases were handled individually and that it had to be checked at the Honda Dealer. They gave me a case number, and so I took my car to the Goodson Honda dealership in Houston. The service manger ran diagnostics for about two days, and said, "Everything is OK. The noise that you hear coming from the car is normal wear and tear.� So I took his word for it.

Then three days later when I was driving on the highway, my transmission failed. It almost killed me and my mother. The situation could easily have been fatal.

I towed my car to my house and called Honda America again and reported my transmission failure. I towed my car to the same dealership under the recommendation of Honda America and had them check the car. They said that the transmission was out. So I said "I came here three days ago and you told me that nothing was wrong with my car. Now three days later my transmission went out. Don�t you have a financial responsibility to fix my car or at least meet me half way and pay 50% of the cost or at least for cost of parts. At the least recall the 2001 Honda Civic models for a faulty transmission.� I went on to say, �Will you at least pay for labor and I will pay for parts?� Unfortunately, they said "NO" because your warranty is expired, there was no warning signal. When the dealership checked your car, everything was OK. So we are no liable.�

Honda America Customer Service denied any help because of the following : 1. The car is out of warranty 2. There was no recall on the transmission on the same model of car. 3. Dealer checked everything but checked out OK.

I added a complaint about this problem with the NHTSA & Carcomplaints.com. Believe it or not there are 150, from one days research, complaints concerning the same transmission problems that I have had. I am not alone. While I was searching for information on internet I got to know that this was a known problem for the 2001 Honda Civic. It was also confirmed by some of the auto service centers. I purchased a Honda because I had thought it to be a reliable car. I still wonder why a brand like Honda refuses to do something to have this common transmission problem investigated and help their customers. I�m not asking for a new car or a cash settlement. I just want this problem investigated and resolved for the safety of my family and for the families driving a Honda Civic.

Apr 072008

Civic LX 1.7L

Therefore, I called American Honda as I had seen advised on the board and they told me that all the cases were handled individually and that it had to be checked at the Honda Dealer. They gave me a case number, and so I took my car to the Goodson Honda dealership in Houston. The service manger ran diagnostics for about two days, and said, "Everything is OK. The noise that you hear coming from the car is normal wear and tear.� So I took his word for it.

Honda America Customer Service denied any help because of the following :

1. The car is out of warranty

2. There was no recall on the transmission on the same model of car.

3. Dealer checked everything but checked out OK.

Apr 182008

Civic LX 1.7L V4

I was under the impression that Hondas, generally speaking, would last upwards of 250,000 mi without major repair costs. Apparently, my Civic didn't even get to half of that. While driving to work one morning, I noticed that the automatic transmission would take too long in upshifting into third gear. After a few minutes, it stopped upshifting altogether and stayed in second gear only. Within another few minutes, the transmission dropped out of gear and went into neutral despite the fact that I still had it in drive on the shifter. I was forced to drift off to the side of the road and could no longer get the vehicle to move, save a few times when I shut down the engine, restarted and attempted to turn around and head home.

I had the car towed to a transmission specialist who is still in the process of working on it. So far, the problem seems to be gross failure of the transmission and the fluid pump, which the mechanic said had no longer been generating pressure. At this point, I hope it's merely an issue with the friction discs in the clutch, but after reading everything on here, my optimistic expectations are somewhat dashed.

I took care of this car and showed little advance warning of such a catastrophic mechanical failure. What the crap was Honda doing in 2001?!

- , Mountville, PA, USA

Apr 162008

Civic LX

The tranny stopped working rather suddenly. It was missing a little in the morning. By evening, it no longer ran. I did not even give me time to try and investigate the issue. As with everyone else, it felt like it was in neutral when it was in drive. Honda has officially lost a customer. I will never buy another Honda. I was a faithful Honda buy for 15 years or 5 cars. Good Bye Honda.

- , San Mateo, CA, USA

Jun 012007

Civic LX 1.7L

The transmission failed. I had to be towed to the dealer. I called American Honda and argued that it should not have failed. Eventually they agreed and gave me a new transmission. I paid the labor which seemed to be discounted too. I paid $350.00 for

the labor. I now see that many others have had the same problem. Maybe I should have held out for 100%. American Honda also wanted me to prove I had service at a dealer, but I do all my own repairs so I could only refer them to my service records that I maintain in the manual.

- , Sw Ranches, FL, USA

Mar 282008

Civic EX

I am sorry I even had to go on Internet and find whatever I can on 2001 Honda Civic. This is ridiculous .. My car is dealer maintained from the day we brouught this new baby home .. and my husband -- he takes care of the car like it is a Ferrari -- including cleaning inside out and washing couple times a month -- you can tell when people at Dealership know your name and smile as soon as your car enters -- so anyway .. on this fine rushed Friday morning ... the car transmission slipped couple of times on the busy highway -- and then Poof .. my husband took the exit somehow and it seems the car was in neutral and tried to drive (and pushed the car with three young kids help) and walked them to the school from there .... His back was already sore and all this just made it worse ... I am so angry and frustrated .. I have called American Honda and waiting on resolution. If they do not replace it .. can they be Sued .. Please advise .. now we have a rental car -- to add the cost on us .. I hope we can reach as many people as we can to advise Not to Buy Honda .. .. any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Mar 282008

All,

Is there a class suit that we can file .. it seems that 2001 has faulty transmission. Mine died while driving at the highway in the busy traffic with three kids in car (for school drop off ..). The car is dealer maintained since the day 1 and has been treated like a baby -- clean and wash twice a month .. we are very particular with the service -- so even the dealer was surprised .. it is almost $4000 -- so can anyone please advise .. I tried to send comment to few of you but it did not work .. Did Honda got to cover the issue? I am shocked and so mad .. now we have additional cost of Car rental until we can resolve it. Has anyone file a complaint with NHTSA? When I called American Honda -- three different times -- they have no idea how long the transmission should last .. also they told me after asking How Many Miles that I should be happy that it is after 100,000 miles .. What?? Hello .. It is Honda -- it should be at least 150000 if not more ... Please tell everyone you know DO NOT BUY A HONDA ....

- , Seffner, FL, USA

Jan 012007

Civic EX

I have the same gripe as everyone else! stinking transmission went out. It happened back in January 2007 and it's just been sitting in my garage. POS HONDA!

- , La, CA, USA

Mar 202008

Civic EX 4 cyl

I added a complaint about this problem yesterday, however I wanted to say that I did file a complaint with the NHTSA today. Believe it or not there are 70 other complaints there about the same thing. I am encouraging everyone regardless of how the repair was handled to do the same thing. This is truly a safety hazard that Honda does not want to acknowledge. I have done many internet searches of this problem and it is amazing how many times this has happened. Also lets get going on a class action law suit. Honda needs to take responsibility for this problem.

- , Middletown, MD, USA

Mar 182008

Civic LX

Well, I am sorry to say I am the newest member of the Honda Auto Transmission Failure Club. The saga begins with my daughter driving what I thought to be a quality vehicle, but to my surprise turns out to be less reliable than a Kia. While she was driving the transmission had a complete terminal failure, no warning of any kind, car just stop moving. Vehicle had been owner maintained with recent work done on the brakes, no significant problems. Vehicle was towed to local dealer, in the interim I found this site and after reading several complaints, contacted the Honda corporate office hoping to get some relief. After 2 days I had to follow up with my so called case worker, who informed me that after much soul searching on their part (Corp. Honda) that due to my lack of loyalty to my dealer (not taking my car for service; translate letting them gouge me) they could not help with any of the repair cost which now totals approximately $2700 to $2800 dollars for not a BRAND NEW Transmission but an Overhaul unit. At which point I stated that since I had purchased 4 Hondas over the years didn't that show loyalty maybe not to the dealer but to Honda, at which point he agreed but said there was nothing the Corporate Office could do. I replied that there was something I could do and that is to never buy their vehicles again (maybe try Toyota) and tell everyone I come in contact with not to buy Honda products of any kind be it a car, PWC, generator, because the quality is just not there and Honda does not stand behind their products.

- , Ontario, CA, USA

Jan 092008

Civic LX

I'm pretty upset because i took out a loan on a Honda so i would have a reliable car, but it is very disappointing to have a car with sh*tty transmission, its expensive. $2,000, and it may cost more because the replacement already has problems after the first day.

- , Menifee, CA, USA

Mar 102008

Civic EX 2.1L

I am a proud member of the Honda Civic failed transmission club as well. My Civic has been meticulously maintained and the mileage is due to the fact that I commute 100mi a day - all interstate with the cruise control set.

My Honda Civic began shifting hard from 2-3 recently. I checked the fluid, but it was fine. Within a week the transmission went. I called American Honda as I had seen advised on the board and they told me that all cases were handled on individually and it had to be checked at the Honda Dealer. So $90 later they determined it was a bad transmission - strange I figured that out for free when the engine rev'd but did not move, but hey I'm not a certified Honda mechanic.

The dealer quoted me $2700 to replace the tranny, On my call back to American Honda I was told that due to the mileage there was nothing that they would do. Essentially Honda America stole $90 from me - if they had been honest at the outset I never would have gone to the dealer. I asked what the design life span of the transmission was and after a few minutes of stumbling and trying to avoid the question the Honda rep said that she did not know, but that it should last at least 100k. I responded that they should change their name to Ford.

I called around to a couple shops and found at that 75k is the norm for the tranny failing. Fortunately I found a transmission shop that is going to rebuild it for $1700.

We own 2 Hondas and had plans to buy a third in 2 years when I got rid of the Civic. Not only will we not buy that car I will be getting rid of the other one as well. Honda has obviously lost sight of what made them a great car company - basic reliable cars. They have lost a class action lawsuit over their faulty transmissions and seem to have issues with the ones not covered by it.

When the Honda sales guy says "all you have to do is change the oil and the car will run forever" he is lying.

- , Knightdale, NC, USA

Feb 272008

Civic EX Vtech

WOW! so I buy a Honda because of reliability.... NOT! It was used and not from a Honda dealership. The place I bought it from gives me a 30 day warranty. Exactly 2 months (as in purchased on 12/13/07 and on 02/13/08) my car would not budge!. But see I didn't get pissed off ( not yet at least). I took it back to the place I bought it from and they say because the 30 warranty is up they cant help!, all repairs and parts must be payed for out of pocket. (who new??). So I find this place that is supposed to be fabulous with transmission( WRONG!!). I payed $3200 for my transmission to be rebuild and I've had to take my car back 3 times since then, which doesn't include the initial problem. Since 02/27/08 I have not had my car for a week straight without the transmission giving me problems and everytime I bring it back, they say they have fixed the problem.... HOW THE HELL DO YOU FIX A PROBLEM 4 TIMES???!! I am desperate for help. please reply to this comment. IM BEGGING!!

HONDA YOU SUCK!!

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Feb 292008

Civic LX

I was driving south on I-95 from Baltimore to just outside Washington, DC when my engine lost considerable power. I quickly moved to the right lane, put my automatic into 3rd gear, and hoped I could make it safely to my parents house, still about 25 minutes away from where I was on the highway. I had my twin 18 month-old daughters in their car seats in the back seat, so was trying to figure out, while barely moving what would be the best way to get them off of 95, and to my parents house, without all of us being mowed down.

Somehow we made it to the destination, very slowly... and the freaking transmission was fried! My car barely has 54K on it! After a very costly repair (thank you Montgomery County MD) and a little internet research, I see that I am not alone.

I need to find out who to contact in Honda, and how I can be reimbursed for at least a portion of this disaster. I could have sold it for more than the freaking repair. I do not find Honda to be dependable and will not purchase another one. I want my daughters and myself to be safe and do not feel safe in this vehicle.

Would love advice on how to recoup some of this expense, and to find out about any class action lawsuits to saddle up to. This is unacceptable.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 172007

Civic LX 4 cyl

Hey Yall, The mechanic that fixes my cars says the 2004 transmissions do not have the same problems with them.... So, I got a 2004 used tranny (had to replace all sensors, the old ones are not compatible with the new one) Gave me a 12,000 mile one year warranty..... Seems to be doing well!

- , Eastpoint, FL, USA

Mar 062008

Civic LX 1.7L

Well, as all the others have stated...my 2001 Honda Civic LX started to rev on a cold day when it tried to go into gear at 30 mi/hr. It happened in the same spot for three mornings in a row, but no other time (yet). Then on the 4th day, it was happening going into 1st and 2nd. I checked the tranny fluid and it was full. I was trying to be gentle with shifting...releasing the gas when the car tried to shift. That worked for the day. On my way home from visiting my mother, I stopped at the local Honda dealer. I told them the tranny was slipping. They ran a diagnostic test, charged me $105 and told me the tranny was slipping (I told them I already knew that!). They wrote on the paper that the car was drivable but the tranny would need to be replaced in the future at a tune of $2,600+tax. Well...on the way home from that Honda dealer, the tranny failed. I got stuck on the side of the road. After calling my sister (who was home sick with the flu to come to get me), I had turned off the car for a while. When I started the car again...I was able to move it to the parking lot of the Midas shop. They were nice enough to allow me to leave it in the lot until I could get it towed. I found a local mechanic who would put a tranny from a salvage yard into the car. The tranny cost $900...it has 42,000 miles on it. The labor was a bargin...6 hrs @ $60/hr. So I saved about $1,500 but need to keep my fingers crossed that this tranny will not fail as well. Since the car has 146,000 miles, I am hoping to get 1 more year out of it before I purchase a new car...NOT HONDA!!!

- , Pawling, NY, USA

Mar 102008

Civic LX

So yesterday while driving in the lovely rain, my Civic started to go slower. I revved it up hoping I had taken my foot off the gas and not realized. It still felt the need to go slower, and shortly after it died (as in car is on, but feels the need to not move an inch). I ended up having to push my car off the road. And im only a 5'5" girl. People still had the audacity to honk and slow down to yell at me to get out of the road. Needless to say I returned their comment with some very "lovely" language. So a friend came to my rescue. We let it sit for a little and then it decided to start moving again. So on my way back home, it dies again, and this time I had to be towed home. After calling around to some friends that were mechanics, and one came over to look at my car, they all said it was my transmission that went out. So while at work yesterday, I was talking to some co-workers that are gurus when it comes to cars, they were aghast at the fact that my transmission was "dead." Everyone that I talked to estimated that it would be about $2000 for the repairs. I purchased it used no more than a year ago so the only "repairs" I've had to have done are oil changes, and changing the air filter, and just check all the liquid levels. Anyways, getting to my point. I haven't contact our Local Honda Dealer or American Honda and I wanted to know what steps I needed to take to have them cover some of the charges. Thanks a bunch.

Mar 062008

Civic EX

I could hardly believe it when I found myself in the fast lane on a major freeway, infant in the backseat and BOOM! .... nothing. My car wouldn't move. It just kept revving and wouldn't push forward. I had to coast my way to the right shoulder. I was scared out of my mind, worried for my son and so mad that my useless extended warranty was up only 6,000 miles ago! I had to have it towed to the nearest Honda dealership and they have it now overnight to diagnose it (at the cost of $105). Based on what I've been researching online, it's most likely the transmission... awesome. I'm nervous about calling American Honda because I'm a wuss in these types of situations. ugh. I'm not the original owner, but the original owner (a friend) said that they took it in for its routine check-ups at their dealership. We had the extended warranty switched over into our names for a $50 fee. bleh. We brought it in for most, if not, all of its routine check ups... I don't know. I need to call American Honda tomorrow morning if I'm going to at all, so any advice soon would be great. Thanks!

- , Surprise, AZ, USA

Feb 212008

Civic LX 1.7L

I have had my car for four years. December of 06 my transmission went out i bought a

new one and just recently on February of 08 it went out again this will be the second time i will have to replace it and it's going to coast me $2485 i don't have money to keep fixing and fixing the same problem over and over it's an awful/annoying experience and cost a lot of money something i shouldn't have to replace again so i would like to know what Honda plans on doing for me. I feel that Honda needs to do something about it. When the recall came out for the headlights I had to put money out of my pocket for that to. I need my car fixed soon but I cannot come up with that money that fast. My car is a necessity as it is for everyone else. I see that there was recalls for other Honda vehicles in the past and maybe the Civics got over looked because I know that I am not the only one who has had this problem. What I need know is a quick response. Thank You

- , Orem, UT, USA