CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

9.3

$2,335.00

1. replaced transmission (254 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 29 of 34)

Nov 222007

Civic LX 1.7L

i owned this car for a few years now . it was a good car . "was" . until the trans went out on it . i called every where and get almost the same price quote . give or take a few dollars . but as i see here i am not the only one with this headache. if any one here can help me please send me an email on how to do this under 3800 dollars . email is ptrican1@yahoo.com . its been stored since November . and im driving a 02 neon wich in fact much more dependable than the civic at the moment .

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 222007

Civic LX

I wrote in back in October regarding this issue with my 01 Civic. After researching here, I decided to have the car re-towed to the dealer in the event that I might be able to appeal to Honda to get them to pay for some of it. The dealership actually gave me a very competitive quote, and enabled me to contact Honda Corporate to request compensation. I faxed them all sorts of documentation to prove that the car's major service had always been performed at Honda dealers, etc. After some research, they called me back and agreed to pay for the part, $1,200 of the $1,900. If you can provide this documentation, I would strongly advise you contact Honda for a goodwill compensation.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jul 102007

Civic LX 1.7L I4

I am following up from my previous posting and complaint below regarding my transmission's bearing failure. As I noted below, I bring my vehicle to an independent shop that only works on Hondas and Acuras. He only uses Honda parts. He did replace my LX transmission with an EX with only 1000 miles on it and installed a new clutch. I called American Honda and explained the situation and after a day, the manager called me back and said that he would send me a check for the cost of the transmission and the clutch. He did not cover the cost of the labor ($395) but I'm not complaining. It was not a Honda dealership that completed the work. Note that my vehicle only had 61K miles on it but Honda still did me right. Also, I am a long time Honda buyer and have financed through AHF. They probably looked that up in their database and perhaps that had an impact on their decision. I've been receiving a lot of comments and thought that this would help others in their quest to be reimbursed. Good luck.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 102007

Civic LX 1.7L

I don't know how I stumbled across this website but I'm sure glad I did. After getting really pissed off at yet another problem with this car, I find that I am not alone. My husband took it to work yesterday morning (60 miles away) and had to bum a ride home because the damn transmission wouldn't shift into gear. Today he had the car towed to a Honda dealership and found out that it would cost us $2500 to get it fixed! This is ridiculous!! I can't believe Honda is doing nothing to recall this issue. Obviously we are not alone. A class action lawsuit should be followed. We haven't figured out how he's going to commute back and forth to LA but he still has to go to work. And might I add for free for the next month just to cover this expense. We originally bought a Honda because of it's reliability but now I'm looking at my Ford and just loving it. Never has my truck given me any problems like this. What happened Honda? I thought your cars were built to last. I lose trust and faith easily and NEVER again will we buy a Honda.

- , Fontana, CA, USA

Jun 302006

Civic EX

I just wanted to add my complaint to the long list. I also purchased a Civic due to its reputation for reliability and had the transmission fail at 90k miles. I was extremely disappointed. I also paid to get it rebuilt.

I'm now in the market for a new car and will not consider purchasing a Honda again. I'm going to give Toyota a try.

Does anyone know the requirements for a class action suit?

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 092007

Civic EX 1.6L D16w7

Let me first off let everyone know that this precious (until it bit the dust, of course) Honda Civic EX coupe of mine was bought for me by my parents in 2001 when I was 18 years old right after I graduated high school, just like many of you, for its so called "reliability."

This car, today, only has 71,360 miles on it. It's my one and only car that I drive really, really carefully. On Nov. 9th, after attending a concert at the Masonic in San Francisco, my friends and I decided to hop back into my car to go grab some late night dessert and that's when it all happened. By the way, for those of you who have never been to SF, let me first say that this city has some pretty steep hills. You can probably already imagine what happened. While our car was driving upwards on a hill, we were just about to reach the top when our transmission slowly started slipping. Not too long afterwards, the whole transmission gave out. The gear wouldn't catch drive nor would it reverse so we were stuck with only my brakes doing the work. This is San Francisco. You can never 1) find parking here and 2) be on an empty street. Needless to say, it was very nerve racking trying to handle the situation when you're immobile right in front of a hotel with four very busy lanes. Luckily, one of my friends had AAA so we towed it to the nearby Pier 27 where she works. Long story short, I towed this car to one shop in SF so they could diagnose it. They wanted $2500 for a new transmission. That wasn't going to work into my budget so I had it towed to another mechanic in Oakland that was referred to me by a friend. The previous shop charged me $150 for the diagnosis. The shop in Oakland told me they could find me a used transmission and replace it for me at the cost of $1560 including labor and the towing from SF to Oakland. I was lucky for the decent pricing. After all the running around, I was finally able to have my car back this morning fixed and running. Overall, the total costs for this whole situation is $1,780 and over a month without my car. Nice, huh. (sense the sarcasm?) I'm bringing this up to the Honda Corp. tomorrow and they better cooperate, otherwise, I'm letting you all know here, I'M VERY INTERESTED IN FILING FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. This is all too ridiculous beyond words.

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Dec 202007

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Had my transmission fail right before the holidays and that was a pain in the ass. I am glad that I was able to make it home after my car stalling a few times. I took the car to my local mechanic and right away he said i know what the problem is and its the transmission. He was dead on because he had a previous 2001 civic and his had the same problem a few months back. Now its going to cost me about $3,000 to have it fixed at the dealer but from what everyone is writing I am complaining to their corporate and I definitely agree with everyone that class action needs to be done.

- , La Mirada, CA, USA

Dec 282007

Civic EX 1.7L

Yeah, I had the same problem as everyone else. I have kept up with the maintenance and even specifically had my transmission serviced three months ago, but on Friday the whole thing failed. I do have more miles on my Civic than most of you (120,000) but I still feel like it is a young car and is supposed to be very reliable. I am extremely upset and will probably not buy another Honda ever.

- , Yorktown, VA, USA

Mar 052007

Civic EX 4DR 1.7L

Wow.... I really thought I was the only one that their transmission failed on them. I guess I'm going have to complain to Honda and get some money out of this because this is the lamest thing ever! I'm a student and have a job that barely pays for books and school. The last thing I want on my tail is a car that has problems. I'm just really sad to have seen myself work longer shifts in order to pay off this damn transmission and installation after how reputable I believed the Civics were for a "low maintenance vehicle." Bull crap.

Other problems with my car is the cloth on the roof sagging, struts leaking, cv joint or boot making weird noises, car is starting to jerk a little, plastic headlights cover are foggy.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 302007

Civic 1.7L Sohc

my 2001 civic transmission messed up yesterday and thats really disappointing

because they claim to have the most reliable car well not no more I really think Honda needs to look in to this matter......

- , phoenix, az, USA

Dec 132007

Civic

I want to thank you for the detailed information you provided (CHANG). My 2001 Honda Civic, 84,000 miles transmission failed 2 days ago. As in all the stories here, I have had excellent upkeep of the car, am the original owner, and it failed at an intersection. I had it towed to the dealership ( new to the city with no mechanic referrals) and immediately got on line to see what I could find out even before I received a diagnosis. I used your advice, contacted Honda and had a case manager assigned to me before the dealership had even called me with the transmission failure diagnosis. When the dealer contacted me to tell me the bad news -- $3300-- I told them the case manager would contact them. The case manager told me they would pay 75% of the cost repairs. After the case manager contacted the dealer mechanic the price went down from 3300 to 2000 and i paid 450. THANK YOU AGAIN> THE trick really is to get HONDA CORP involved before the dealer TOUCHES THE CAR!!!!!

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 152007

Civic LX 1.7L

y 2001 Honda civic transmission just fail completely today. I was checking for transmission on the net when I ran across that people are having the same problem. So far its cost me $85 dollas for for tow. What can we all do to resolve this problem?

- , Fair Grove, MO, USA

Dec 302007

Civic EX 1.7L

My wife bought her Honda Civic new in 2001. We have kept up with the maintenance according to the requirements. So needless to say, it was a shock when I was driving down the road and suddenly my car slips into neutral. I took it to a very reputable mechanic in my area known for transmission work. He informed me that some of the inner workings of the transmission had broken. This was very unusual as he had not seen that many. However, he also informed me that he was working on the transmissions of two or three Hondas a month and that my problem was not unusual at all. I called the dealership and they informed me that my car was not under warranty even though similar accords and oddessy's (sp?) have had their powertrain warranties extended for just this circumstance. He also let me know that it would be on my own dime to replace or repair the transmission, a total cost of between $2,000 to $3,000. For anyone out there with this same problem, I am putting in a call to several attorney's offices today about a class-action defective product liability suit. There is no way a car manufacturer who touts their reliability as much as Honda does can have this kind of track record with no recalls or extended warranty and get away with it.

- , La Vergne, TN, USA

Nov 052007

Civic LX 1.7L

Geesh, after viewing the complaints on this website, I now see that I'm not alone. I've always kept up with the maintenance on any vehicles that I'd previously owned as well as my current 2001 Honday Civic LX A/T. Prior to purchasing this vehicle I've completed extensive research on the safety and reliability of this vehicle. Nothing was mentioned on any websites (at the time) with regard to the "transmission problems" listed. On Nov 5, 2007, I'd taken my vehicle into the dealership regular maintenance service as well as to inform them that my check engine light have been intermittently flickering on and off for approx 2 weeks. The told me that after running a few test the codes (P0700, P0740) indicated that I need a new transmission installed that will cost me approx $2800 bucks. I was appalled!

I currently have 97,600K miles, I just recently had (2) reliable mechanics to inform me that this is a continuous problem with the 2001-2003 honda's, across the board. A definite "civil suit" should be administered, immediately. I'm totally pissed off, that HONDA is getting away with this cramp! Honda has not heard the last of this from me. Good luck to all!

- , Oak Park, IL, USA

Oct 212005

Civic LX 1.7L L4

My Civic 2001 was driving great until one day started taking a long time to start - then was driving good again. the following day while driving it started to lose power until almost stopped in the middle of the way at night. I did push the car to the side and after 10 min started to move slow. I went to the Dealer that has extended service and left the car there. the following day they call me saying that there is a faulty code in the electronic system of the transmission and I have to pay for the replacement transmission and the work. It took 3 days calling the Honda dealer until the factory approved to place the refurbished part and I to pay the work.

Definitely seems to be something beefy with this specific model.

- , Cleveland Hts., OH, USA

Dec 192007

Civic EX

Purchased 2001 Honda Civic from my brother, having heard such great things about these cars lasting forever. I was in complete shock last week when the transmission blew and was told that I'd need to have the whole thing replaced. I'll now be sinking a couple of thousand dollars into a car with a value of only a few times this amount. I plan on calling Honda and pointing out the significant number of complaints on this site. I noticed that this problem sticks out for the 2001 model and not other years. I want a recall and for Honda to pay for the new transmission!!!! Please continue to post similar experiences you might have had.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Dec 242007

Civic EX

I don't normally post things like this in forums, but after reading about all of the 2001 Civic problems with transmission failure, I felt I had no choice. The automatic transmission failed completely at 95,000 miles and I had to be towed on Christmas eve. Not a pleasant experience! I was left stranded on an up hill, windy road and could not go forward in any gear. I was originally thinking that I may have caused the problem by not having a regular maintenance done on the transmission but after reading MANY complaints like mine, I realized that I could have done nothing to prevent this transmission failure. I plan on having a new transmission put in to the tune of $3100! and the sell the car. Honda should be ashamed for making a product like this. I really hope that a class action suit develops from all of this information.

- , Brentwood, CA, USA

Dec 272007

Civic LX V4

I've glanced over the other 102 "transmission failure" reports from the last 3 months on this site and found that my transmission failure complaint really is no different.

I bought my 01 Civic LX in '04 with about 34K miles, and now I'm up to 87K. I usually bike to work so the car itself does not get heavy use, and I service the vehicle regularly (the EZ Lube guy even commented how good everything looked under the hood the last time I had the oil changed).

However, just a couple of days ago, I began to feel the gear shift jerk going about 20 mph. When I started climbing a hill, the transmission made a loud, high-pitched whirring sound. Suddenly the car started rolling backwards while I was giving it gas. Fortunately, I was able to turn off the car and back it onto the side of the road without causing any accidents.

The local Honda dealer informed me later that day that the transmission had failed and needed to be replaced. He also informed me that my warranty, which would have covered it completely, had reached its 7-year limit 5 weeks ago. Therefore, it was gonna cost me about $3000.

I considered myself a very happy Honda customer and I looked forward to buying Hondas the rest of my life. But like many people who posted here, I am totally bummed that this particular model, noted for its reliability, has a transmission that dies before it even reaches 100K miles. It also broke my heart to learn from this very site that the '01 Civic has received the 3rd most complaints (just a little better than the Ford Explorer? Really? It's THAT BAD??).

Well, my worldview on car reliability is starting to shift. I am still waiting to hear on whether the dealer's district manager will allow some sort of "customer assistance" (whatever that means) with having my transmission repaired. I am hopeful that my '01 Civic story, along with the other hundred '01 Civic stories on CarComplaints.com alone, is enough to convince them that the fault is Honda's. But if Honda does not take responsibility for their oversight and stoops so low to actually make me pay if I want it fixed, they won't get another penny from me.

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 042007

Civic LX V4

I am a physician at a busy metropolitan hospital. I was on my way to the Hospital at 5:45am on a three lane interstate going about 65 miles/hr in the left lane. Without any forewarning my transmission failed. I was fortunate enough to be able to get close to the shoulder. However, this created a major safety hazard, with cars zipping by me at 60-80 mi/hr. Needless to say, I was unable to be at my work on time, I was stranded in 30 degree weather on an interstate with half of my car sticking out of the shoulder, and it took about 3 hours for me to be able to get the car towed and to get to my work. Thank god for the State Police and AAA. It's taken about one week to get the car fixed, which is a major source of trouble for me given my unusual work hours. The entire transmission had to be repaired for a total cost of $2400. My car drives about 15 mi/day in highway conditions, sits in the garage about 50% of the time, has only about 65000 miles on it and is very well maintained. I think this a horrible manufacturing problem that Honda needs to address and compensate people who've suffered from it. I've missed a substantial amount of work hours, I was exposed to very unsafe driving conditions and I've had to pay a relatively large sum of money to fix a car that I purchased because of its established reputation of reliability up to, at least, 150000 miles.

- , Narberth, PA, USA

Dec 042007

Civic LX

The automatic transmission on my 2001 Honda Civic LX unexpectedly failed on me, leaving me stranded in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately, my car insurance was willing to pay to have my car towed to the local Honda dealer for service. The service dept said that my transmission had "burned out" and needed to be replaced, totaling about $2700. I asked what would have caused the transmission to fail like this, and she said "normal wear." Given that I have always been good about keeping up with my service check-ups and performing the necessary maintenance, I was appalled that this happened to my 6-year-old (82,000 mile) car, especially since the name Honda is usually synonymous with reliability. (I would have expected this from, say, Kia)

After doing some internet research, I saw the complaints listed in this forum, and I also found the Honda Service Bulletin that referred to my problem (Service Bulletin 04-036). I called Honda headquarters (800-999-1009) to complain about my problem and pointed out, among other things, the service bulletin pointing out Honda's recognition of my problem, my maintenance record, and the fact that my family has usually been very satisfied w/ Honda until now. The case manager and Honda service manager eventually called back and said that they were able to bring the price of the repair/replacement down to $1000 (the amount that I had to authorize so that Honda would begin repair on my car anyway). Still a bit more than I would have liked to pay, but a decent discount anyway.

To people who want to lodge a complaint with Honda to get them to bring down the repair price, keep the following in mind:

- Honda is more willing to give you a discount if they can verify that you have kept up with the recommended maintenance check-ups. At the very least, be able to supply them with the names and addresses (at least zip code) of the dealerships you have had your car serviced at.

- A service person let it slip that you have more leverage over Honda if you have either not yet gotten the repair done, or you have not yet paid for the repair. Repair on my car was actually completed the day before I spoke with the Honda headquarters case manager, but I had the dealership keep the car for one additional day (no charge), so that I did not have to pay for the full repair, and I could keep this leverage when I was finally able to speak with the case manager.

- It probably didn't hurt that I told the manager that my family has been loyal Honda owners (which it has), but this recent event had shaken our faith in the Honda name.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA