Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Civic has transmission problems, transmission problems & more transmission problems. Did we mention transmission problems? And a dangerous defect with the front airbag that didn't get recalled for 10 years.

Although eventually the defective 2001 Civic airbag inflators were fixed under recalls in 2011 & 2013, that meant for 10 to 12 years airbags were activating with excessive force where metal fragments went shooting into passengers when the airbag deployed.

As for the 2001 Civic's transmission woes? Honda conducted a major transmission recall in 2004 & settled a class action lawsuit for defective transmissions in 2006. But, neither the recall or the lawsuit included the 2001 Civic.

Last thing to consider - the 2001 Civic is the most-recalled car ever, closely followed by the 2002 Civic & the 2001 Accord. The 2001 Civic is the 4th most-recalled vehicle overall, only a Ford truck & two Ford vans have more.

1. replaced transmission (253 reports)
  2. rebuilt whole transmission (151 reports)
  4. get Honda to cover the cost (54 reports)
  5. buy a different car...can't afford the repair (23 reports)
  6. break down the transmission and fix (15 reports)
2001 Honda Civic transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Civic:

2001 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 30 of 34)

Dec 072007

Civic LX

My daughter was driving on a 4 lane interstate hwy during Friday night rush hour. Without any warning whatsoever, the car stopped accelerating and the tachometer went wild. Fortunately she managed to get to the shoulder safely. But if anyone knows Atlanta traffic, (average speed on this road during this time is 70MPH), she is fortunate to be safe and not part of a multi-car accident. She is 18YO.

I purposely bought her a Honda for reliability and safety. She drives 100 miles 1 way to school several times a semester. The car has 70K mi and we bought it with 63K. We have service records showing we have properly maintained the car.

In looking at the complaints already registered, our experience is in no way unique. I contacted a Honda dealer and he told me the silent recall involved only the Odyssey and Accord. Well it is about time to add the Civic to the list.

I am writing a letter to head of Customer Service at Honda to explain my situation, and I expect them to make good on some or all of the $2,900 it will cost for a re manufactured transmission.

I am a single mom and will not/cannot afford to spend 1/3 of the purchase price to repair this vehicle. It just is not right. I will not let this drop until I receive appropriate compensation from this company.

I think it is ironic that because Honda has such high marks for reliability, all the reports of transmission failure stand out like a sore thumb. Who would expect a Honda to have such a serious defect and safety issue?

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 282007

Civic EX Vtec 4 cyl

transmission started slipping and finally would not go at in touch with honda and at first said we had a 50/50 shot at getting it fixed. when car got to honda they said it was not an accord and me and my wife both told the dealership that it was an ex before the car got towed over there. so wife got in touch with them again and said they would give us a rebuilt trans and all we would pay would be $895.00. but not happy - think we should have a new one and not a rebuilt. we are calling back today to see what they say.

- , Bessemer, AL, USA

May 292007

Civic LX

My car is only six years old and now I need to pay for a overhaul on a transmission and some sort of converter-and other electrical parts. I think Honda should be responsible for this cost-they knew that once the vehicle went over 70k miles this would be an issue.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 042007

Civic EX 1.7L

hi everyone, posted a transmission problem back a couple of months ago. (post #67).Had transmission problem with my 2001 civic ex. Finally fix it. The failure was a 2cent rubber o ring on the main shaft. this o ring holds the hydraulic pressure throughout the whole trany along with 25 other o rings. The part failed because a little chunk got cut off of it. Looks like something sharp cut it. Im guessing that a small piece of aluminum slag cut it. Its when they cast the aluminum casing,and they dont clean off all the slags off the inside of the casing. I also installed an inline filter on the transmission line so it filters the ones that i miss. All the components inside the trans were all ok including the fluid but i replaced all the rubber seals and o rings along with the clutches.(yes,they have little clutches inside them). Total cost-$125.00 And yes , it was a pain in the ASS!!! I recommend putting in the inline filter on ALL automatic trans. and not just this one. Hope this helps!

HONDA--(made in japan only)(sorry!!)

- , Howell, NJ, USA

Nov 172007

I will never buy Honda again.

Replaced the alternator twice and now my transmission!?!?! COME ONE!

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nov 192007

My son called me early Monday morning to report that his 2001 Honda Civic was stuck in traffic and wouldn't move. Problem: transmission. In order to get it home he had to turn it off, start it again and creep home at under 20 mph.

After a diagnostic we were told the transmission had to be REBUILT at a cost of $2500! Or we could get a used transmission (from a yard) with a one year warranty for $1900.00 (plus the cost of Honda automatic transmission fluid which we are told ISN'T cheap). On a car with only 67,876 miles??

We though we had a "lemon" until I looked online to find all of these complaints. I'm planning on going to Honda to try to get some coverage on the cost of this repair or replacement (we haven't quite decided which). If they don't I'm spreading the word.

Either way, we're getting rid of this car and will NEVER buy another Honda.

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 152007

Civic LX 1.7L

Along with a few other minor issues with this cars interior and fuel latch door the electronic lock buttons, the trim on one side of the car just peeled off all under 5 years and now this issue with the transmission. the car runs great, but now the transmission is shot it is only 6 years old!!! I never had a car where it died due to a transmission failure at age 6! what are they doing these days with the manufacturing of vehicles?

they aren't built to last anymore, they are costly to keep on the road along with not to forget the cost of gas to run them. they cost a fortune to purchase and they fall apart before age 10.

Used to buy a car for a 1/3 of the cost of a home and it would last 10 to 30 years with out too much trouble at least eth transmissions lasted 10 years or better. I am disabled and I was not counting on having a major repair as this until at least ten years I have no income to get a new car or fix this mess.. I was hoping I would be able to drive this for another 4 years. OUCH! anyone have any suggestions please email me or reply to this post!

- , Berwick, PA, USA

Nov 042007

Civic LX 1.7L 4 cyl

Stop & go traffic on the I80 in NJ, when its time to go again my 79k mile 2001 Civic revved up but would not pick up speed. I used the last bit of momentum it had to pull over to the shoulder. I got the car towed to an Aamco station for $100. A read of the computer and an external diagnostic of the transmission yielded no signs of a problem except for burned transmission fluid. They took the transmission apart and discovered that the torque converter was burning the transmission fluid which in turn ruined the transmission. I ended up having to pay $2828 to have the torque converter replaced and the transmission rebuilt which is not money that I have lying around. I am going to call the Honda customer service number tomorrow morning and complain about them not replacing these faulty torque converters; I hope they at least offer to pay for part of this bill. I have a lease on a Ford Explorer that is running out in July '08, I was thinking about getting a Honda SUV to replace it but this experience will definitely play a factor in my decision.

- , East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Nov 032007

Civic EX 1.7L

I take excellent care of my 2001 Honda civic Sedan; I meet or surpass all maintenance requirements. I am the original owner. I use synthetic Mobil 1 motor oil, I use Honda Genuine ATF for transmission oil changes [have done 3 of these following Severe Service Maintenance Schedule even though I don't really consider my driving 'Severe'], I use Honda Genuine brake pads when replacing brake pads, I take the Honda to the dealer for all safety recalls/TSB's. I bought KYB gas charged shocks for superb ride comfort, and in summary I keep my ride all OEM because thats the way I like it.

So I am on my way home from work on Thursday, November 1, 2007, and when about 2 miles away from home the car starts jerking and losing power. The transmission was slipping as the rpm's went up around 5000. After taking the vehicle to Advance Auto for a code reading I find out there is code P0730 causing an issue. After limping home at about 20 mph, I find out there are dozens of folks with the same issue!! What a coincidence.

Here is what I find interesting. The website states, as do all the civic owners manuals, that the Honda Civic enjoys a 105,000 Mile Tune-Up Interval. NOWHERE IN THE OWNERS MANUAL DOES IT STATE THAT THE TRANSMISSION MUST BE CHANGED BEFORE THE FIRST SCHEDULED TUNE-UP!!!!

That is my beef. I have NEVER owned a car whose transmission gave up the ghost before 100,000 miles, and certainly NONE of the vehicles I have purchased brand new have ever had a major component failure similar to this 2001 Honda Civic. I have an appointment at Roush Honda in Westerville Ohio on Tuesday November 6, 2007 for an official diagnosis of the transmission. I will be asking Honda to supply a new, complementary transmission.

- , Gahanna, OH, USA

Nov 022007

Civic LX V6

My 2001 Honda Civic had a complete transmission failure with only 56,000 miles. When I contacted Honda they advise "Sorry" and said it needed replacement. In searching the web I see there have been many transmission problems with other of their models and they extended those warranties but not the Civic. Feel they need to cover some of the cost with the low mileage. I also am dumbfounded to find out they never take the transmission apart to see what the cause of the failure was. They just send it back to a shop to rebuild. For a Japanese company that prides itself on customer satisfaction and quality not knowing what is causing the failure makes no sense.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 292007

Civic EX

Same problem as everyone else. Stuck in gridlock traffic in SF on the freeway, four lanes and no shoulder. Car would rev but wouldn't shift into gear or move (its an automatic).

After traffic started to move I was stuck in the fast lane unable to move. I had to turn off the car, wait 30-60 seconds, turn it back on and pray that the car would move. When it did, the torque converter would fail again after about 5 seconds of gentle acceleration. I did this about 6-7 times before I was able to roll off the freeway and make an illegal turn into a gas station, and of course during this whole ordeal the good citizens of San Francisco were giving me a piece of their mind. Only one driver was nice enough to give me some space (even though I had my blinkers on).

I had to have my car towed home (two hours away!) My Honda dealership told me that it wasn't covered by warranty but that they would offer me the equivalent of an extended warranty where I could pay 10% and the dealership pay 90% for the rebuilding of my transmission.

- , Gold River, CA, USA

Oct 252007

Civic DX 1.7L 4 cyl

The check engine light came on and I took it to the Honda dealer from where it was purchased. They called me today and said that the transmission needed to be replaced at a cost of $ 3700. After reading of all the repairs to these transmissions on the NHTSA website, I told the service represenative that I wanted them to adjust this price. After talking to the Zone Manager, they reduced the price by 25 %. During this time, I was doing more research and discovered the Honda Service Bulletin # 04-036 which deals with transmission failures. It stated that once the 36,000 mile warranty had expired, the District Parts and Service Manager or their Zone Manager could reduce this cost for "goodwill consideration". I am still talking to them about the final cost of the repairs. After reading the complaints on this site, it appears that this is a big problem. On the NHTSA website, it appears that Honda has picked up the cost of the transmission but not the labor. See ODI # 10138365

- , Burke, VA, USA

Oct 232007

Civic DX 1.6L

after reading this i was shocked that so many other people had suffered this problem. i thought it was due to my first accident and then i used to drive this car like a manual transmission and i thought it died due to that but now seeing this i am really mad. i thought Hondas where good cars but next car is going to be a ford lol.

- , Brampton, ON, Canada

Oct 232007

Civic DX 4 cyl

So there I was driving my 2001 Honda Civic(my very first ever new car)on my way to the doctor for a blood glucose test, when what to my wondering mind should appear but the sight of the transmission being in drive but no engagement whatever with the wheels!!!!! Like the stoplight turns green but my car goes nowhere. To make a long story short...two tows to two places because I could not believe that a Honda with 118,000 kilometers (90% of them highway driven)would require a transmission job. Yet that is exactly what it did the tune of $2200.00 Canadian. Funny how this happened right close after the warranty wore out. I know that my driving is not a factor because my second hand 1985 Chevy Impala handled the same work route with no problems for over 11years. Time for me to talk to Honda as I will not be buying another one and I want them to know why.

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oct 222007

Civic LX

We recently inherited a 2001 Honda Civic from my brother-in-law. The car has 75,000 miles on it and has been keeping up with its scheduled maintenance. This morning, the transmission just quit, and it's going to cost around $2,200 to replace it. We are trying to determine whether it's worth the money to replace the transmission or to come up with an alternate plan. For those of you who have called Honda, would you recommend it? Under what circumstances? Thanks for your help.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Oct 162007

Civic EX Vtec-4 Clylinder

I was driving down a 2-lane highway when our Honda Civic EX 2001 totally stopped. When I attempted to move forward (to get out of the way of traffic) it would not move forward or backward. I pushed it off to the side of the road and had to call for a tow truck. I called the Honda dealer for a price to repair or replace transmission. He said it would be about $3,500.00 to replace the transmission.

I told him we had followed the manual instructions for the 2001 Honda Civic and it states by a graph that on page 196 that the transmission fluid be replaced at 120,000 miles, which we had planned on doing. We had 100,000 miles on the car. The car has been well kept up, and because we fell for the idea that "Hondas are very reliable", we never expected this, nor did we need an explense like this for an unexpected, unwarranted repair. In addition, qw were out the money to rent a car to go to a relative's funeral.

So Honda gets to write a book and if you follow the maintenance schedule in the book, the owner is duped and the owners, being us, are out $2700.00.

But more importantly, we feel that if this happened to us and because there was no traffic in back of us at 55 miles posted speed limit, what might have happened and probably has happened on an interstate where the speed limit is 70 mph and your car stops suddenly like that. We wonder how many lives have been lost due to Hondas' sudden transmission failures, when the owner was merely following the directions in their manual. Shame on Honda...this will be our last Honda, for sure. We will be contacting the National Highway Traffic Safety Assn. about this very dangerous safety matter(

Robert and Pauline Alley Interlochen, MI (

- , Interlochen, MI, USA

Aug 272007

Civic LX

The transmission just died! I was driving, the car started moving really slowly and then would rev but not move!

Honda said they would only pay to cover the parts but not the labor because it was not fixed at a honda dealer!

I will NEVER buy a Honda again, and will make sure to spread the word out about what happened!

- , Miami, FL, USA

Aug 282007

Civic DX 1.5L

Leaving my job to get home and the transmission suffered a lock-up on the highway at peak hour traffic!!!!!!!! I have been diligent in maintenance with 45,000 mileage 2001 Honda Civic DX !!!!!!!! NO Warranty!!!!!! I have to pay or Bust !!!!!!!

- , Guaynabo, PR, Puerto Rico

Aug 282007

Civic Beige

I Have a 2001 Civic EX. Transmission went out yesterday driving to work with no warning. This really Sucks!!! I thought Hondas

were reliable cars! I got couple of quotes for $2500.00. That's

Just Outrageous! There needs to be something done by Honda after reading all these complaints!!!!!! I know this much, my next car will NOT be a Honda.

- , Claremont, CA, USA

Oct 122007

Civic LX

I am a 23 year old college student. Struggling with a part-time job and trying to finish school. I just paid over $1000 to get my AC compressor fixed a few months ago. Just yesterday I was on my way home from school and my engine kept revving up, but I wasn't going anywhere, yet I was still able to drive the car, just had to go slow. So I started driving slowly, keeping my speed at about 30mph. I took the local way too. I end up getting to a point where no matter what I did the car wouldn't accelerate, it was as if I was in neutral. The check engine light comes on and the car comes to a crawl, I end up moving the car to the side. I turned off the car and called my parents. While I was waiting, I decided to try driving it again, so I start the car again, and it seems to work alright, however, I could still only go about 30mph. I end up meeting my parents at a nearby gas station. We attempted to drive home, but didn't get too far from the gas station and the car stops accelerating again. I finally pulled over, we called a tow truck, and we had it dropped off at the Honda dealer, but since it was night time, no one was there. We went there this morning and we find out that the dealership will be able to get a used transmission with 29,000 miles on it, with labor and parts altogether, the charge was $2500! This is after paying for an AC compressor I just replaced. At this point I don't know if I even want to get it fixed. I've always heard how reliable Honda is, this is my first car, thinking this would at least get me through college. I bought this car when I first started going to college, but it just wasn't able to make it. I'm pretty disappointed in Honda. I'm not sure what I want to do. I won't even get anything for the car if I try trading it in or salvaging it. I know one thing, I'm not getting a Honda anymore.

- , New Berlin, WI, USA