2006 Honda Civic suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Honda Civic:

2006 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Oct 072011

Civic 4-cyl

I took in my car to get an oil change and the tires rotated. They told me they could not rotate the tires because there was "too much wear" and they were "worn out". I have had the tires for 30,000 miles and they have an 80,000 mile warranty.

- Harrisville, UT, USA

Sep 272010

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the rear tires would wear prematurely. The dealer diagnosed that the control arm in the rear suspension was defective. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10 and the current mileage was 135,075.

- Groveland, FL, USA

Aug 012007

Civic 4-cyl

Rear tires had to be replaced at approximately 18,000 miles. Rear tires again replaced at 40,000 miles. Rear tires again replaced at 65,000 miles. All tires replaced at owner's expense as Honda would not acknowledge problem. Insanely loud rumbling noise coming from rear end of vehicle starting around 15,000 miles. Dealer said that's normal. Independent shop managed to get alignment within specifications although it was "very difficult" to get the alignment to meet Honda's specifications. Rear end continues to rumble and make loud noise. Honda dealers will not fix issue.

- Graham, NC, USA

Sep 022011

Civic 4-cyl

My rear tires on my '06 were making a roaring noise and vibrating at highway speeds. After putting 15,000 miles on it (bought used with 64,404 miles on it), my tires wore out due to uneven tire wear at the inner edges. Fortunately by chance, just before we embarked on a 1500 mile trip, I just accidentally happened to notice that the belts were showing on the inner edge of my right rear tire. This was not readily noticeable from the outside of the car, until I crawled under the back end of my car to check on something else. From the appearance of the outer edges and mid-sections of my tires, I never would have guessed that my tires were in need of immediate replacement and that this was an accident just waiting to happen! after inspecting the other tires on my car, I ended up replacing a total of three tires. However, this will not correct the problem with my tire-eating car, since the rear upper control arms require replacement, as outlined in Honda tsb 08-001. I went to the local Honda dealer and was informed by a service rep that they handle these claims on a case-by-case basis. Since I did not save my worn out tires and due to the current mileage on my car, I decided that it would probably be a waste of time for me to try to get Honda to replace the control arms at their expense. After reviewing tsb 08-001, it is my opinion that Honda should do the right thing and initiate an immediate safety recall to correct this condition. Premature tire wear due to the rear upper control arm configuration appears to be a very common issue with these 06 & 07 Civic models, as indicated by the number of complaints and by the large number of aftermarket adjustable rear upper control arms/camber kits that are currently available. My Civic now stays parked in the driveway all of the time. This is a very dangerous condition that is not easily or readily noticeable to consumers!

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 012011

2006 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to uneven tire wear, shocks or strut issues the consumer stated the tires were replaced five times. The consumer was informed his vehicle had a defective rear camber. The dealer was only willing to pay half of the cost. Despite, the camber being defective.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Sep 012011

Civic 4-cyl

Brought vehicle to Honda due to loud roaring sound near rear left tire. I thought it was the bearing as there had been a recall and my car was supposedly "ok". Honda calls and wants to charge me almost $800 for 2 new control arms, 2 new rear tires, and an alignment. I do some research and find out there is a tsb: Honda designed the control arms wrong causing premature wear of the tires. The fix is to replace them with newly designed control arms. So, Honda should pay for it considering they designed a defective product. Honda will not pay for it. Essentially, Honda is admitting the product is defective by replacing it with a newly designed product. My purchased an aftermarket warranty from the Honda stealership: They refused to replace the control arms claiming "it is a defect caused by Honda" and the part is not broken. The consumer loses once again and Honda takes the money. This is not the only defective design on this car: The engine block cracks due to improper casting, the cheap visors break: At least Honda extended the warranty on this to 8 years. After that, I guess you're out of luck. This is my 6th Honda. I also have a Honda lawnmower and powerwasher. Honda was the only vehicle I would buy due to their high quality and reliability. They used to build quality products and stand behind them. Now they build garbage at a premium price and refuse to stand behind them. I knew I bought that Hyundai sonata for $4,000 less than an Accord... ps: The Hyundai has 0 issues and runs great with similar mileage. Sorry Honda: I will be purchasing from a company that stands behind their products instead of company riding off of their name legacy from the 80's and 90's. check out Hyundai or even dare I say and american car: The quality is much better.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Jul 172011

Civic 4-cyl

I have a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid, I am on my second set of tires due to them rubbing on the inside of the tire well. My car has 62,000 miles on it. I am going next week to get another set of tires ( the third set). The back tires rub excessively so much so the back of the car shakes, if I have any weight in the car it is almost unbearable.

- Milton, FL, USA

Jun 072011

Brought my 2006 Honda Civic in for oil change and tire rotation and three times were told that they were wearing evenly and didn't need to rotate brought it some where else and was told that the tires were cupping on the inside and was told I needed a wheel alignment the mechanic wouldn't rotate because the cupping was so severe on the rear tires then I took it back to Honda and was told I needed updated control arms needless to say if they would have cracked in half I could have tires flying off my car. I can not believe there is no recall on this item it can be very serious and Honda isn't picking up any of the cost I drive very far every day and now I am not sure how I feel about it with this car and don't feel I should have to worry about it or pay for Honda mistakes.

- Northampton, PA, USA

Apr 082011

Civic 4-cyl

I own a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid with approximately 58,000 miles. I replaced the first set of tires (dunlop) after @30,000 miles (for reference, the previous Honda Accord I owned would typically go 50-80K before needing new tires)... the tires on my Civic hybrid were all worn on the inside and not easily visible (the outside tread looked fine) - I found this out during my annual car inspection in July/Aug 2008. At that time I had a four wheel alignment done and tires replaced before I could pass the inspection. Since then, I replaced one of the tires about a yr ago because the tire started to come apart at the seam and was making a loud thud noise. I have never run into this type of problem with a tire before and am grateful the tire didn't come totally apart (especially if my family was in the car)... I was just at the local Honda dealer on 4/8/11 to have a recall issue (defective voltage regulator) dealt with when the dealership informed me that my front tires were in bad shape. He did not mention anything to me about a known suspension problem (technical service bulletin 08-001) which speaks to this issue causing the tires to wear prematurely though he did advise that the front tires be replaced and all four wheels be realigned. Interestingly, the last trip to this same dealership to remedy a faulty sensor in August 2010 there was no mention of tire issues or tsb 08-001 yet I've only put on 5,000 miles since that time and the tire issue should have been apparent at that time too... I only found out about Honda's tsb 08-001 after researching this issue on the web on 4/12/11. I am filing this complaint because I feel Honda should be held responsible for the cost of fixing this problem as it is a suspension design flaw, safety issue, and the consumer is unknowingly paying for replacement tires and alignments. I've tried to get Honda to pay for fixing the suspension issue (as per the service bulletin) but they are so far unwillingly to do that. This is a big problem.

- Seekonk, MA, USA

Jul 012007

I took the car to a Honda dealership because the back tires were wearing out prematurely on the inside. They replaced the upper control arms with the "supposedly" correct control arms marked C and did an alignment, but that did not solve the problem! I just bought a full set of new tires in July of 2010 and my car was aligned and I am about to need new tires again! in addition, the driver's visor fell off and was replaced. However, both visors fell off the second time, and are now held on with zip ties. There is a design flaw in the visor as well.

- Ahoskie, NC, USA

Sep 242007

Civic 4-cyl

Need 4th set of tires at 116,00 miles.just recently, Honda dealer advised that rear control arm must be replaced. Found Honda tsb08-001 that indicated the rear control arm is defective. Had service completed which cost $500 and Honda offered no assistance.

- Baldwin, MD, USA

Jul 272010

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic ex. The contact stated that when the vehicle was inspected the front struts had to be replaced because they were leaking. The mechanic who performed the state inspection diagnosed the failure. The manufacturer stated that they have no problems with the struts and that the vehicle was beyond warranty. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage and current mileages were 23000.

- York, PA, USA

Jul 032010

I own a 2006 Honda Civic. The rear tires are cupping (others call it see-saw pattern ). there is technical service bulletin for the lower control arm, dated February, 2008 that exactly describes the problem. The vehicle had three sets of new tires since it was purchased. First I thought it was a tire problem and I kept changing the tires, only to discover after the car was out of warranty, that it was a manufacturing defect. I contacted the manufacturer, and I spoke to crystal from american Honda motor who refused to offer any assistance, stating that it was my fault that " I did not give them the opportunity to fix the car". the service bulletin was not communicated to me, I found out through my research, but in the meantime the warranty expired.

- Newark, CA, USA

Apr 022010

Excessive tire wear. Will be going on 4th set of tires. Started investigating on internet and found that alot of Honda Civic's are experiencing same thing we are.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 082009

2006 Honda Civic coupe. Consumer states mechanical failure caused vehicle accident. The left front wheel broke and turned out to the left instantly.

- Belton, SC, USA

Jan 222008

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The contact stated that there was a defect with the suspension, which causes difficulty steering and prematurely wears the tires down. The dealer stated that they would not make repairs. The failure mileage was 24,000.

- Placitas, NM, USA

May 272009

I bought a Honda Civic new in 2006 and have had nothing but problems with the tires. I have taken the car back countless number of times to complain about the noise and un-even tire wear. I replaced the first set of tires after the noise became so bad you could not have a conversation without shouting. The mileage on the first set of tires was 31,000. The next set of tires lasted a little longer, only because I rotated them every 3,000 miles. The last time I took it to the Honda dealership I was informed of an issue with the rear upper control arms. Honda would not pay for the parts or labor but insisted that the tires would not wear even unless I had the control arms replaced.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

May 082009

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Honda Civic. The vehicle has Bridgestone turanza T tires. The contact stated that there was a suspension issue with his vehicle. In addition, the tires became worn after 12,000 miles. The manufacturer stated that there was a technical service bulletin for the suspension repairs, but no recalls. The manufacturer stated that they were not responsible for the tires and that the suspension did not affect the tire wear. Bridgestone disagreed and stated that they could replace the tires for $650 at the contact's expense. The tire failure mileage was 12,000. The vehicle current and failure mileages were less than 24,000. Updated 07/14/09. The dealer offered to correct the suspension problem at their expense, but they were not willing to pay for the prematurely worn tires. Updated 07/15/09.

- Placitas, NM, USA

Apr 242009

In October of 2007, one of my tires had a blow out on the freeway, I have my vehicle serviced on a regular basis and was not aware that my tires were worn on the inside tread, they were rotated at every oil change, uneven wear would have been evident prior to needless replacement. The tires were replaced with the same dunlop tires that were originally on the car along with a front-end alignment. All past vehicles that I have owned have exceeded the mileage on the tires because of the consistent and regular maintenance of the vehicle, therefore I had no reason to expect less from my Honda Civic hybrid. From October of 2007 (new tires) through April 2008 (service bulletin 08-001) I continued the consistent and regular servicing of my hybrid. This would have put my new tires at approximately 6 months of use. On April 22, 2009 I had my 2006 Civic hybrid serviced, included in the service was the oil change, and tire rotation. After leaving the dealership, my car exhibited extreme vibration. I assumed that one of the tires was out of balance. I returned to the dealership on April 24, 2009 and explained the issue, I was informed that my tires were excessively worn, not on the whole tire, on the sides of the tires and they would need to be replaced. Upon further inspection by a technician, I was informed that there had been a service bulletin issued in April of 2008, but no recall on the control arms for 2006-07 Civic hybrids. Service bulletin versus a recall, this is definitely a safety issue. I would never have knowingly driven my vehicle with unsafe tires, yet because I was not informed at the time I had my vehicle serviced, that is exactly what happened. I was traveling North when the tire blew out in October of 2007; I took my 4 grandchildren to disneyland in that vehicle on April 7 through April 9, 2009 and I shudder to think of what may have happened because of those tires. I am thoroughly disgusted and cannot possibly understand how I was not informed.

- Galt, CA, USA

Apr 152009

Honda is aware of upper control arm defect in Honda Civic 2006-2007, but has not issue any product update or recall. Failure to replace this parts will result in uneven wear on the rear tires. Also, I believe it may reduce the stability of the car and therefore may result in hazardous accident. So far no incident or crashes or injuries have occurred. I hope that Honda takes responsibility in regard to this matter.

- Austin, TX, USA