2007 Honda Civic suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 6)

Jan 032008

I have a 2007 Honda Civic sedan LX I bought this car brand new from the dealership in December 2006, it currently has over 165,000 miles on it, (yes I know its high) but I have replaced my tires a good 5 times, now im about to buy another set, its always the rear tires that I have replaced. I didn't know Honda had this issue, now that I know about it im very upset that I could have had this fixed since the beginning. The problem I have is the rear tires have been wearing unevenly and wearing extremely fast. This of course has caused me a lot of frustration. Im hoping that Honda Corp will help me pay for the fix.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jul 312013

Civic 4-cyl

Took my Honda Civic for schedule maintenance as usual, then I was told that car needed front axle repaired. My car has only 49, 159 miles. When searching online for similar cases, I found out this to be a known problem with the 2007 Civic. The issue I have with Honda is that why Honda didn't recall the 2007 Civic for due repair of the problem right after the problem was detected? I don't recall receiving any communication from America Honda Motors and/or any recommendation from the dealership during the last 5 1/2 years that I took my car for service. P.S. - car has not been involved in an accident (yet).

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 092010

Civic 4-cyl

Took car to discount tire because rear tire not holding air. On inspection of tire it was worn where the belts were exposed. Replaced tires at that time and had alignment. Tires rated for 60,000 miles. On 1/30/2013 took car in for tire rotation. Was shown badly cupped tires. Mileage on the car was 67,000. Half the mileage the tires were rated for. Replaced tires yet again. Just received notice of a class action suit and control arm replacement for the Honda Civic. This does not include the Honda Civic si 2007. Why is the si excluded??. it is exactly the same body style and uses the same control arms which appears to be the source of the problem. In fact, your safety complaint form doesn't even list Honda si. It only lists Honda Civic. With such aggressive uneven tire wear it would seem to pose a serious safety problem since the tires wear out so quickly.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

Jul 102007

The control arms on 2006-2007 Honda Civics are defective which causes uneven tire wear in the rear tires. The inside edge of the tires go bald quickly and the rear end of the car begins to 'jump' around on the highway. There is a service bulletin issued by Honda (08-001), but they will not fix the problem. The car feels very unstable on the highway. We have had to replace the tires and get an alignment every year.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Mar 312009

Civic 4-cyl

I have to replace the tires every 30000 miles due to uneven tire wear. I guess there is a known problem with a faulty rear arms that Honda keeps ignoring after so many complaints. Sure way to lose customers when you pride your self in quality but not delivering.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Oct 042010

Civic 4-cyl

Car is very unstable when subjected to crosswinds. Steering corrections have to be constantly made to keep the car on course. This is extremely dangerous as overcorrections can happen. I notice other similar size cars I'm following on the highway in the same conditions are not nearly affected as I am. I purchased the car used with 60K miles back in 10/2010 and it has always been a problem. I had the rear upper suspension arms replaced (at my expense) with an aftermarket brand to correct the caster problem back into specification and the tires have been replaced but this has not made any difference in the way the car handles in side wind conditions.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Jun 112013

Civic 4-cyl

Replacing several sets of tires despite rotation and dealer maintenance. Passenger side tires experiencing excessive wear. During service, dealer suggested replacement of upper rear control arms and 4 wheel alignment. Took to non-Honda mechanic for 4 wheel alignment, but mechanic said upper control arm assembly had excessive negative camber which could not be adjusted to proper setting. Mechanic replaced with Honda parts, but still could not adjust camher to correct 0 setting. Vehicle unable to set to proper specifications. Found that issue appears to be the same as that detailed in Honda service bulletin no.: 08-001, also detailed in NHTSA id number: 10024687.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Mar 012013

Civic 4-cyl

Passenger side tires experiencing excessive wear on inside edge. Took to mechanic for 4 wheel alignment, but mechanic said upper control arm assembly had excessive negative camber which could not be adjusted to proper setting. Mechanic indicated assembly needed to be replaced. Found that issue appears to be the same as that detailed in Honda service bulletin no.: 08-001, also detailed in NHTSA id number: 10024687.

- Newark, CA, USA

May 312013

Civic 4-cyl

Excessive noise from rear end of vehicle unrelated to normal higher noise from all season tires. The noise is so bad that passengers cannot converse in the car with the windows closed. Excessive unusual wear on tires requiring frequent replacement. Honda put out a service bulletin 08-001 Feb 5, 2009 about this problem but has not issued a recall. I think that Honda should do a recall or offer to pay something toward the corrective action they mention in their service bulletin. A rear upper control arm kit, new tires, alignment and labor charges are needed to be done and parts will need to be shipped to me from the us so I can have the repairs done where I am stationed here in germany. I'm frightened to take the care out on the autobahn. Thanks.

- Apo, AE, USA

Feb 052009

I got the car from my grandfather and it had about 20000 miles on it, after about putting 6000 miles on it myself I had to replace the tires and I always noticed the car was loud while driving and just figured it was normal and I guess I got used to it although anyone who rode in it would mention the load noise(like having mud tires on it). Well after about 5 sets of tires(the car now has 120,000 miles) I just now (2013) started looking into why the car has a loud noise and came across the service bulletin issue involving the rear suspension problems. I called corporate Honda and they admitted they had defective parts on the Civics and said I waited too late to complain!"?" I even told her I didn't care about the $ I was out on all the tire sets I just wanted the issue fixed by them. She actually told me it was my responsibility to go to a Honda dealership and read the service bulletins and it was my fault that I am having this problem. This has to be legally taken care of!

- Walls, MS, USA

Apr 162009

Civic 4-cyl

Rear control arms are defective and cause dangerously uneven tire wear.

- College Station, TX, USA

Apr 162008

Civic 4-cyl

After 16000 mi the rear tires where cupped and worn to the belts on the inside edge, purchased new tires and 15000 mi later the exact same abnormal tire ware was experianced. Dealer replaced rear upper control arms which were defective from the factory but I had to pay for tires, labor, and a 4wheel alignment. Honda needs to step up and admit that its tsb should be a recall!!!

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Apr 102010

Civic 4-cyl

When I originally purchased this vehicle at $14,000 miles I immediately started to hear noise from the tires at highway speed but it wasn't until my failed inspection that I noticed the severity of the uneven wear/ear on mainly the back tires. Due to a control arm recall, I went to Honda in order to get this fixed and purchased my own tires at the time since they wouldn't cover it. Unfortunately, about 19,000 miles later, again my inspection failed due to the tires. I had replaced it again but at this time Honda would not do anything and told me that it is past the warranty point and if I bring it in and they find that there's something wrong, I would have to pay for it as its not covered under my general warranty. I don't get this because clearly it is a manufactures recall and I shouldn't have to pay for this plus my tires every 19,000 miles. I purposely chose to buy a Honda because they are known to be economical and reliable. None of which my '07 Honda Civic ex has been. I tried taking it out with new tires during the snow; biggest mistake. Even driving in the rain is a hazard. This should be a huge warning for those who are in the market for a Honda Civic. These cars are not worth the price if the tires are not reliable. Tires are an important sector of a car. This is really disappointing and I would not think twice about taking this matter to court.

- White Plains, NY, USA

Nov 012011

Civic 4-cyl

Excessive and uneven tire wear....cupping. Honda will not do anything since the car is out of warranty even though they issued a service bulletin regarding the rear control arms being faulty.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Mar 212013

Civic 4-cyl

Design failure of the rear control arm that is too short resulting in improper camber setting causing abnormal wear of rear tires.... excessive wear on inside of tires and cupping. 2 sets of tires in 43000 miles. Had to replace with after marked "adjustable" camber arms.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Mar 112013

Civic 4-cyl

The tires on my 2007 Honda Civic kept show bad wear and had to rotate every 10,000-15,000 until couldn't do it anymore, bought several sets of tires:: solved the problem buy paying almost $900 to fix the arms on the rear end. Said thing is Honda knew and knows about this problem but wont do a recall... good news is after all my sets of tires and $900 dollars my car is now getting good wear out of the tires.

- Portage, UT, USA

Feb 022013

Civic 4-cyl

Rear tires have abnormal wear which is causing vibration and noise due to a faulty rear control arm. This may cause safety problems.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jan 052013

Civic 4-cyl

I have a new set of tires and I am surprise when you start moving it makes noise that seems coming from the wheels/tires and goes away when you slow down. It's more audible in the rear, I don't know if its the suspension or rear control arms that wear out during the years.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Aug 202008

Civic 4-cyl

I am on my 3rd set of tires on a car that has 58,000 miles. Research shows that this is a common problem on Honda Civics for 2006-2007. There seems to be a problem/defect in the design of the car and Honda is not standing behind their product. We need help.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 012008

We bought this car new from the dealer in '07. We have been putting 3 to 4 sets of tires on this car per year, for the last five years, that is not runs in to money and is very unsafe in the winter time. While checking on the internet, I found alot of other people with the same problem. We all feel this should be a recall. Even replacing the rear upper control arms does not fix the problem, we have tried, and so have others. This comes from the factory. Honda prides themselves on safety...this is not safe...the car is constantly fighting with itself on the road therefore wearing tires. Please consider a recall on this vehicle. 08 001 was a code I read on the internet, I'm not sure what this is, but sutherland Honda in fredericton, N.B. will not make any compensations for this defect. Honda knows about this problem, but as of yet will not do a recall. Please help us before someone gets killed on the highways.

- Harvey, York Co., N.B. Canada, AA, USA