2007 Honda Civic wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Honda Civic:

2007 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Sep 062010

Civic

Honda Civic - 2007 hybrid - needs new "control arms" as the tires are unsafe to drive - apparently this is happening a lot, I'm surprised there is not a recall yet. I've got 70K miles and finishing my 2nd set of rear tires already - they refuse to correct at no cost, even though they've even put out a "service bulletin".

- Moraga, CA, USA

Sep 062010

Civic

Honda Civic hybrid has tire wear on inner part of back tires. At 21,000 miles dealer says the back tires need to be replaced, they say it may be a balance problem. I researched the problem and safety bulletin indicates the rear control arm is defective, but car hasn't been recalled. The control arm needs replacement, but they will only give a % of replacement for back tires. It sounds like if the problem is not fixed there will continue to be unsual tire wear, which poses a safety risk to drivers. Am contacting dealer tomorrow about problem.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jul 272010

Civic

I bought a brand new 2007 Honda Civic hybrid that I have had to replace the tires on 3 times and the vehicle only has 45,000 miles. Counting the original tires that came on the vehicle that's 4-sets of tires. These tires were 70,000 mile rated tires. I contacted my local dealer in little rock, ar and they advise that there is no recall to fix the problem; however, they stated that Honda was aware of the problem and attributed it to a defective rear camber arm. They advised me that there is a public safety bulletin 08-001on the part. Because no recall has been issued for the defective rear camber arm they advised me that it would cost $700 to replace the defective ones. The excessive tire wear caused by this defective part can easily result in tire blow-outs, vehicle accidents, and highway fatalities. The fact that a known safety deficiency exist that Honda is aware of but unwilling to correct needs to be investigated.

- Angier, NC, USA

Jul 012008

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the contact heard a rumbling sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The dealer advised that the rear support arms as well and both rear tires would need to be replaced. The repair was performed at the contact's expense. The failure recurred within two years. The dealer performed an alignment and both rear tires were replaced. The failure recurred within six weeks. There had been no further repairs. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. Updated 1/19/2010 updated 04/20/11

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Jun 252010

Civic

Excessive tire wear and loud noise from rear of vehicle. We have replaced two sets of tires, once at 11,000 miles and at 36,000 miles and they are again worn at 58,461 miles. We learned of a service bulletin, service bulletin number : 08-001 date of bulletin : Feb 08, 2008, issued by Honda and after much complaining since we were a few hundred miles past the 3 year 36,000 mile mark the dealer made the repairs and aligned the car. We have rotated the tires regularly and the loud noise is back as well as excessive tire wear. I find it ridiculous to have to replace tires like this because the tire warranty is void because the tread in one section is beyond the limit for replacement. The Honda dealer is claiming we have not rotated the tires enough/properly which seems to be a common excuse for others complaining about the problem to Honda.

- Baltimore, OH, USA

Jun 252010

Civic

2007 Honda Civic hybrid very rapid inside edge tire wear. At 21K we need 3rd set of tires for loud excessive noise at 25-65 mph and even slow turning. Have had our Honda dealer install the new "C" marked control arms and alignment done also at 13K. Honda rep looked at car today with 21K said all is ok and is to Honda specs. This is not my idea of a car that is made correctly or in anyone's spec's anywhere in the real automotive world ! really 3 sets of tires in 21K miles "normal" that takes alot of ignorance on Honda's part. A stressful waiting game for the tire's to blow out, heaven knows you will not hear tires go with all the noise from them. Just hope were able to control car and no one gets hurt.

- Wood Dale, IL, USA

Apr 152010

Civic

I have a Honda Civic 2007 and I am experiencing premature tire wear on the vehicle. The original tires only got 18,000 miles. The next set of tires were warrantied for 65,000 miles and I got 20,000 miles on them. The next set was 60,000 mile tires and are almost worn out and will need replacing after 22,000 miles. I took the car to my local Honda dealer before the warranty expired and told them of my problem. They said nothing was wrong with the car. What can I do? I am replacing the tires every year.

- Fairport, NY, USA

Sep 012007

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic si. While driving at approximate speeds of 50 mph, the front passenger side tire blew out without warning. The next week, the rear driver side tire blew out suddenly. Upon further inspection, the contact believed the failure to be attributed to the manner in which the tires were mounted to the vehicle. The dealer advised the vehicle would need a specific unknown tire and an alignment. The contact confirmed the failure persisted and the dealer was unable to determine the exact cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000 and current mileage was 75,000.

- Conway, AR, USA

Mar 112008

Civic

The contact owns a 2007 Honda Civic si. The contact replaced two sets of tires in less than 14,000 miles. A front end alignment has also been performed twice. The mechanic stated that there was a caliber problem on the rear tires. The failure has caused the tires to shred on the side very quickly. Honda has also informed the contact that the vehicle was designed that way. A local dealer confirmed that the design of the vehicle caused the failure and that there must be a flaw in the way the vehicle was driven. The tires have shredded every 5000 miles. Honda insist that the wheel bearings were not related to the failure nor is the failure related to campaign number 07V399000, service brakes, hydraulic antilock wheel speed sensor. The failure mileage was 6000 miles and the current mileage was 14000 miles.

- Deferiet , NY, USA

Jan 052010

Civic

Uneven and rapid rear tire wear in the 2007 Honda Civic LX sedan 5 speed automatic. The uneven and rapid tire wear is accompanied by constant loud roaring noise from the rear while the vehicle is in motion and vibration at highway speed. Maintenance has been performed regularly I paid the local Honda dealership to complete wheel and tire alignment, balance, and rotation every 5000 miles when I take the car for a oil-change, yet I already replaced 2 sets of tires at 43000 miles once at 19000 miles and another one at 39000 miles. The tires I used were Goodyear Eagle rsa P/N 42751-gyr-036 H/G 8270498 P205/55R16. This is a safety concern for most drivers since regular drivers do not anticipate tire balding every 20000 miles and perhaps the drivers are unaware of driving on bald tires. The local Honda dealership diagnosed the problem as a rear upper control arm issue but refused to cover the cost of the repair. This premature wire wearing is clearly a Honda defect and a safety concern.

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Nov 172007

Civic

Separation of tread from the wheel...cracks in the sidewall.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Dec 112009

Civic

Sidewall of tire cracked and split from the rim.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Oct 072009

Civic

I have a 2007 Honda Civic LX. Today I took it to meinike to get my oil change and tires rotated. There was no tread left on the inner tires. I've rotated my tires every 6K miles and now I'm at 28K miles. The mechanic said I don't even know how you made it here. He didn't want to put them back on because their worn to the core. There is also no tread left. I didn't even know, but when I did a google search I found there was a recall on it. Honda said they wouldn't pay to have the tires fixed from their defect.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 302009

Civic

Tires wear out, due to weak stabilizer bars on rear end, Honda replaced the stabilizer's, and aligned car, however don't pay to replace tires, only way to know you have a problem is to take car to dealer, if you get you service anywhere else, you don't know you have a problem. I took car in for oil change and got the word about the service bulletin.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Mar 122008

Civic

Hello, I have a 2007 Honda Civic ex sedan. Recently, everytime you go over 45 mph there is so much road noise that there is no way being able to talk in the car. We have already replaced the four set of tires, ran a tire rotation and the issue still persists. I have done some research and I am not the only one that is having problems. I have called Honda and they told its the tires, where I only have 30,000 miles on my car.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jun 162009

Civic

Right rear tire wears incorrectly, cupping or scalloping occurs, appears to be to much negative camber. The cupping creates "wobbling" or road noise.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

May 252009

Civic

In January 2009 I noticed a shaking/vibrating coming from the back of my 2007 Honda Civic LX. The problem worsened until I took it into the dealer in May. The dealer inspected the car and informed my that my brakes and rear tires needed to be replaced. At 30,000, the rear tires were practically bald. The dealer made no mention whatsoever of the rear upper control arms that should have been replaced according to service bulletin 8-001. I took the car to a mechanic for a second opinion and was told I should bring the car back to the dealer because my shocks needed to be replaced. I felt very deceived by the dealer; they did not want to live up to their responsibility under the warranty.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

May 242009

Civic

Tire blew out on the highway at 65mph. After inspecting the tire when returning home to determine root cause of the failure the valve stem was found to be cracked all the way through only attached by a small amount of rubber. Inspected other valve stems and all were found to be cracked almost all the way through. Tires were recently replaced in the summer of 2008.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Apr 152008

Civic

I have a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid with tire problems. I have taken my car to the dealer twice with complaints about uneven tire wear and poor handling and have been assured that I am imagining everything. The tires that have been on the rear the longest have signs of separation and very different wear than those that have been on the front the longest. There is a definite problem with handling when the worn tires are on the front but my Honda service manager says nothing is wrong with the tires. I even wrote Honda hq and received a response that they know of no problem with the cheap Bridgestone tires being put on these cars. I have read online in forum and blogs there are 100's of Civic hybrid owners like me that are facing the same issue.

- Skokie, IL, USA

Jan 152009

Civic

The back tires on my 2007 Honda Civic went prematurely bald and my family was almost killed on a wet mountain road. The back tires only last 15,000 miles on the newer Civics and Honda will not acknowledge this.

- Cary, NC, USA