7.8

$3,667.00

1. replace transmission (10 reports)
2001 Honda Odyssey transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Odyssey:

2001 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments

Jul 042014

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

My 2001 Honda Odyssey EX having engine light and TCS light on with slipping gears(1-2 and 3-4) from last couple of weeks:

- Looks like Bad design of Honda Odyssey PowerTrain. I had Toyota Camry V6 - had 300k miles no issues on powertrain/transmission.

Honda Odyssey Powertrain (transmission) Symptoms includes:

=============================================

- flared 1-2 and 2-3 shifts,

- long Park to Reverse or Park to Drive engagement times, or in extreme cases no takeoff in forward or reverse after start up.

- , West Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 012010

Odyssey 3.5L V6

i paid a lot for this vehicle. I trusted Hondas reputation and purchased so i would not have anything as major as transmission failure come into play. Too expensive to fix and certainly am not asking for anything other than a tranny that works for more than 10 years.

- , Vancouver, British Columbia, canada

Apr 152013

Odyssey LX

I bought this minivan back in 2007. I haven't had any issues until early this year when several codes started showing up. I was asked to replace egr valve, catalytic converter, full transmission flush. After the replacing the catalytic converter, it went without a problem for 1500 miles. All of a sudden early this week, the transmission started to slip on acceleration.

Earlier, when I took it to the dealer they recommended transmission rebuild. As I was outside warranty period and mileage, they said it will cost $4500. I felt betrayed by Honda company as they know that this is a design issue with their model and they didn't man up to fix it.

i was honda loyalist and this is my 2nd And LAST honda. But this incident has definitely opened my eyes. I will definitely try other brands.

- , Norcross, GA, USA

Feb 152013

Odyssey LX 3.5L

I bought a 2001 Honda Odyssey in Aug 2001 and in June 2009 the transmission had to be replaced at 98000 miles (within extended warranty on miles and 2 months outside the extended warranty on months.

Now it is 145000 miles and this winter since January (I live in NJ) I notice that when it is cold and the engine is cold and I start driving without warming up around 20-25 mph the engine revs (possibly because the gear shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd doesn't happen smoothly). I want to forestall any major problems with the tranny since I hope to use it for another couple of years.

Took it to the Honda dealer who had installed the replacement transmission in June 2009 (36 month/36000 mile warranty). It is now little over 43 months and around 47000 miles on this transmission. They say that the transmission is slipping and will have to be replaced ($5500) and that replacing the fluid/flushing the transmission would not do anything. Asked about the pressure switches and they said that it is not the problem. What can I do other than replace the tranny? I read other forums and there was mention of class action for rebuilt but could not find any info.

Is slipping due to broken gear teeth? Are their transmissions so badly built that they fail in such a short time?

Any advice on further course of action other than replacing the tranny?

- , East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

My 2001 Honda Odyssey auto transmission started showing signs of slippage at 69,000 miles. However, at 72,000 miles, D4 has been flashing with TCS light on, and Check Engine light on. Slippage occurs at 2nd and 3rd gears. I am now afraid of using this Odyssey since I find it unrealible. Transmission oil has been replaced routinely. I bought this Odyssey brand new with 100,000-mile extended warranty and had taken care of with routine maintenance. I just bought a 2012 Civic and 2011 Pilot last year since I believe in the Honda quality. I was not expecting my 2001 Odyssey to fail prematurely. I took my Odyssey during my military assignment overseas where I had the Navy Exchange service center perform engine oil change and other maintenance routinely per maintenance manual. I even had a Japanese Honda (Clio) dealer service my Odyssey while overseas. Tony Honda of Oahu serviced my Odyssey while assigned at Pearl Harbor, HI. I never received the notification of the Honda transmission recall. However, it was only recently when the transmission occurred anyway, 11 years after I originally bought it brand new. I planned of keeping this Odyssey for a very long time.

I hoping that American Honda will still replace my transmission but I know better. The $5K cost to replace the transmission. My engine runs great but becomes useless due to this unreliable transmission.

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

Sep 212012

Odyssey LX 3.5L

Similar problem to what happened a year ago. slipping from 1st to 2nd then jumps into gear.

- , Millis, MA, USA

Dec 092011

Odyssey LX V6

I bought my Honda Odyssey from a new/used dealership in August 2011. Since I bought it I have had a few technical difficulties with my sliding doors occasionally opening on there own when I turn my ignition off. I play it off as a ghost "Wilma". However, I am noticing my transmission slipping for the past few months. I just had my oil and transmission fluids changed, and yet it is still slipping. Also, my check engine light and maintenance light are on. I have pulled the positive cable from my battery to see if that will clear it, but it didn't.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 012011

Odyssey EX V6

I bought this van last year with 109,100 miles on it and found out soon after that there was a recall on the transmission that went to 109,000 miles. I called the honda dealership and asked if it was covered and they said that first of all the time limit expired, and second of all I was outside of the 109,000 miles limit. Fair enough, I wouldn't expect them to make any exceptions for me...a first time honda owner. Anyway, the transmission started slipping shortly after all that and it progessively got worse to the point that I needed to either sell it to someone who wants to spend the money to get it fixed or trade it in....I was only getting offers from dealerships for $3,100-$3,400 on trade...fortunately I found a couple of guys who were mechanically inclined who knew what the issues were fully and they gave me $3,800 cash....I practically gave the van away!!!

I think Honda should be ashamed of themselves, I remember when they used to be a reliable household name that people could rely on....not the case since year 2000 and on. I actually had been looking for another, newer, honda odyssey until I read all the issues people have been having on with them on this website, and now I will not waste my money again on a Honda.

- , Bowling Green, KY, USA

Apr 072011

Odyssey EX-L 3.2L V6

My transmission failed last week at 128k miles. After researching this issue after my tranny failure on this website and www.odysseytransmission.com I do not trust Honda to repair my transmission as once it has been repaired by them the rebuilt tranny fails again in a short period of time. I have lost all confidence in Honda. I have had 4 instances over the years where my Check Engine and TCS warning lights have come on and each time Honda told me it was an issue with the EGR Valve and carbon buildup in the housing that it connects to. The EGR valve was replaced each of these times and the housing cleaned the last 2 times. Never did they mention that the tranny may have issues. Last week both of these lights came on again just a few months after the last service of the EGR valve and housing. The transmission started slipping and then banging into gear jolting everyone inside. Since our Honda dealership in Leesburg has now closed and the closest dealership is around 30+ miles from here I took my Odyssey to AAMCO. They said that that the torque converter has failed and would require the transmission to be rebuilt or replaced with a remanufactured transmission. Also they told me that the Catalytic Converter has failed now as well. I now have to make a decision if I want to spend around $5200 to replace both of these issues or sell my beloved Odyssey for basically junk as the trade-in value is around $4800!!! Whatever happened to this once great auto manufacturer? They have really gone downhill fast when it comes to reliability and quality! I am really upset and frankly scared to purchase another Honda as it doesn't seem any of the Odyssey's transmissions are built sound and safe! I can not afford to have my family and children ride in a vehicle that is unsafe and unreliable as I do travel for business occasionally.

- , Purcellville, VA, USA

Dec 222010

Odyssey EX

This failure was on the replacement transmission after the original one was replaced at 81,000 miles in March of 2008 under the extended warranty recall. The dealership (Valley Honda in Monroeville, PA) originally diagnosed the problems as a broken engine mount and transmission mount AND a "dirty" transmission fluid. I really questioned this diagnoses because the the transmission was slipping/failing this time in almost the same manner as it did in 2008 when the first transmission was replaced. But they insisted. So I had just the mounts replaced.

When they called to say the van was ready for pickup I specifically asked if they had test drove the vehicle to confirm if it fixed the problem...they claimed they did. But of course moments later after picking up the van the problem was still there and just as bad as it was originally. So after my irate call back to them they then insisted that because I didn't have them change the transmission fluid that must be the problem. After arguing about this for several minutes I said, fine I'll bring the van back for the fluid change, but if that didn't fix the problem I wasn't going to pay for it. So a week later (appointments at this dealership are very hard to come by...) they said that replacing the fluid wasn't necessary, the whole transmission needed to be replaced. At a cost of around $4,500. I was so angry I didn't even pick the van up that day.

When I did return to the dealership I spoke with the manager but he said that there really wasn't any recourse that he could take as they had already spoken with the district manager and they had declined to cover anything since we had already gotten a "free" transmission under the recall. I called the customer service phone number at American Honda and they actually claimed that they have no control over the district managers for their company and she could "send him a note" about my complaint! When I questioned this response the person just said that was the way it was. I asked who or indeed if anyone would be getting back to me once this "note" was sent and they didn't really know but assumed it to be the service department from the Honda dealership. The "when" she didn't know. I even asked if there was reference or complaint number that would be associated with my complaint and there was none. Needless to say, it has been over two weeks and there has been no response.

So onward with life, I took the van to a local transmission repair shop. They diagnosed the problem within a few hours. Remember how Honda said I needed a new $4,500 transmission for what they called "trans long shift from 1st to 2nd, rev very high trans slipping, harsh shifting up and when down shifting, internal problem in transmission, needs trans"? Well the real problem was much simpler than that. The problem was actually a failed 2nd gear pressure switch. It is mounted external to the transmission and was giving bad readings during the diagnosis. Cost................a mere $170 including the part, labor and tax! (Also they also had the part the next day and the van was repaired within hours.) So this repair shop asked who told me I needed a new transmission and they were completely in shock that it was the dealership. Their impression was that this was very easy to diagnose and any decent mechanic should have been able to figure this out based on the test drive, my description of what the van does (which was violent jerking/shaking under moderate acceleration when the van was trying to shift from 1st to 2nd gear) and even Honda's own description on their diagnosis.

I have now driven the van for almost a week and it works like new! I can't even express how disappointed I am in Honda's famous "reliability", their customer service, and now even their ability to diagnose what turned out to be a rather simple and inexpensive repair.

Kudos to World Class Transmission in Delmont, PA who correctly diagnoses and fixed the problem and shame on Honda for such a pitiful attempt at extorting thousands of dollars from me for a completely unnecessary replacement. Honda has just lost a customer that has previously purchased 5 previous Honda/Acura vehicles in the past and was soon to be looking for 2 more and has also influenced the purchase of several others from family and friends over what amounts to $170!!!! They are just like many other companies that just don't care what impact their decisions have on the outcome of their total business future. I hope this complaint helps others to have the courage to try other repair facilities instead of just Honda's...getting a second opinion can really pay off in the end!

- , New Kensington, PA, USA

Sep 182010

Odyssey LX 3.2L V6

Our 2001 Odyssey has had traction control end engine light on from day one. Honda never replaced any of the sensors. They just cleared the codes like one can do with the error reader you can borrow from any parts store. Honda didn't tell us about transmission recall until after we were past the 109K extended warranty.

We just tried to drive it and it slipped in the middle of an intersection leaving us there exposed. This is a severe hazard. We are going to try to find an aftermarket tranny that actually works.

- , Broomfiled, CO, USA

Aug 092010

Odyssey EX V6

We have consistantly kept up with the maintanance and I always took it to the dealer. As we exceeded 100K miles, we spent 3K on belt, engine and tires and breaks. Within three days later the van's transmission starts to slip when going from 1st gear to second. By the time we took it to the dealer, it would not catch the gear at all and would not want to exceed 10 miles per hour. The only options was to stop on the side, wait few minute and restart the car. The dealer said that they would need to replace the transmission. I am so frustrated with this situation. Both Dealer and the company takes no actions for their transmission and we are now forced to buy new car. This same problem happened to me on Honda Prelude and I spent lots of money to get that problem resolved. Eventually, I ended donating the car. So, I don't want to go through the same steps just to end up at the same point. I feel that the Honda dealer should have informed me before replacing all the parts. I am not going to buy Honda again!

- , Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Dec 152009

Odyssey

When I bought this Honda van new in 2001, it never occurred to me that it wouldn't make 100k miles. At 97 k I need a new transmission and new catalytic converter. I'm shopping for a new Kia with 10 yr 100k mile warranty this time. So disappointed in my Honda!

- , Gibsonia, PA, USA

Apr 062009

Odyssey EX V6

I heard about the transmission problem with Odyssey from a friend recently. Wish I had known about this, as I chose not to spend the money for repair and donated to charity.

I have to believe that the dealer knew about this problem yet choose not to tell me. The 2001 Odyssey was my 5th Honda, and I was extremely disappointed that it didn't last 200k miles like my previous 4 did.

If anyone decides to sue Honda, let me know. Won't buy another Honda nor will I give them any positive words.

- , Centennial, CO, USA

Aug 152009

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

This vehicle was maintained to Honda's recommendations, but still had a transmission failure at 109000 miles. Transmissions shop said they had 6 Odysseys in 6 weeks, all the same problem. A modern automatic should last longer than this. Replaced vehicle with a different brand since it qualified for Clunker money. Find out, thanks to this site, that Honda has a lot of problems with automatic transmissions. Wish I had checked this site BEFORE replacing timing belt and doing the other items listed on maintenance schedule. Tell your friends with Odysseys to dump them before this happens-- because it probably will.

- , Bristol, CT, USA

Jul 012009

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey EX with 115,000 miles. I have had transmissions replaced....it cost me about 2000 dollars.... I will never buy honda agin

- , Boston, MA, USA

Jul 102009

Odyssey EX 3.5L

I am in seguin,tx. i am haveing the same issues with my odessy. it is 2001 and i was told the recall end oct of last year so i am outa luck. however i am seriosly considering sueing honda about this issue because they knew they were going to have this issue and continued to produce this tranny. until then i have decided to spend the extra time and bucks to convert my van to a 6speed manual.. the acura tl type s or aspec model both have beefed up manual transmission that bolt right to the motor in our vans. i will be using the pedal assembly out of the same car. just have to modify the dash to accommodate the shifter. i will post as i go. starting it the first of the year. 2010.

- , Seguin, TX, USA