2003 Honda Odyssey drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jun 062016

Honda refusing to address the following recalls on my vehicle Jan 16, 2003 - NHTSA# 03V014000 - fuel system April 15, 2004 - NHTSA#04V176000 - power train December 11, 2012 - NHTSA# 12V573000 - electrical system vehicle was towed to braman Honda of manhattan located at 627 11th ave New York NY on June 6, 2016. They have had my vehicle for 93 days. On September 8, 2016 they call me to tell me to pick up my vehicle and they are not completing any repairs because there are no current outstanding recalls for my vehicle. The above mentioned recalls for my vehicle were never addressed by any Honda service location.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 102016

Can't accelerate from 20 mph to 30 mph. Only has 104,000 miles on the vehicle. Took the car to the dealer who said transmission failed and it would cost over $4,000 to fix it. This is totally wrong from the manufacturer. Honda should pay for it. See attached diagnostic invoice from the dealer.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Mar 012016

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. While the vehicle was at the dealer for a routine service check, the technician noticed that the transmission and motor mount failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 141,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Jul 072016

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. While the vehicle was parked with the key removed from the ignition and the emergency brake engaged, the vehicle rolled away in reverse and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not towed, diagnosed, or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was previously repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 12V573000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 253,000.

- New Melford, CT, USA

Jun 012015

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 04V176000 (power train), which experienced heat build-up between the counter shaft and secondary shaft second gears in the automatic transmission. The vehicle began to move slowly when transitioning from second to third gears prior to the repair. Once the vehicle was repaired, the failure recurred and the vehicle began to jerk when in second gear when or while driving 22 mph or higher. The vehicle would also emmit a whining sound under the hood of the vehicle. The brake warning light, the pcs warning light, and the engine warning light illuminated. The contact returned the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the vehicle needed to be diagnosed a second time and the vehicle would no longer receive a repair under the recall. The contact had the vehicle diagnosed by two certified mechanics who stated the transmission failed, causing malfunctions when in second gear. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000. Updated 06/17/16

- Greenville, TX, USA

Nov 102015

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to be serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 04V176000 (power train) and after the recall remedy was performed, the vehicle hesitated to shift gears. In addition, the vehicle violently surged forward and jerked. The contact stated that there was no failure experienced prior to the recall remedy being performed. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V045000 (air bags) and the part was not available for an extended period. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Wilsonville, AL, USA

Jan 052015

Based on NHTSA recall 04V-176 - transmission recall, any car below 15K miles will have a return line installed to lubricate the 2nd gear. Above 15K miles needs to be examined by the dealer for discoloration of the clutche plates inside the gear box. Honda stated that they fixed the problem with a return line, but in fact if the 2nd gear had this issue, this is not a fix, but just a work around to save repair cost for Honda. How did NHTSA approve such a temp remediation, when the transmissions are faulty. Opened up a case with Honda and I was told that if the tranny has an issues but is operational, it is not considered as faulty. How can Honda state if the car is operational, it is not faulty, in that case does Honda expect the van to break and be unoperational in the middle of the road in order to claim the issue as a recall " my servce report from the dealer clearly states that the recall of the return line to the 2nd gear should only be done if the vehicle was below 15K miles, how was this done on my car with 40K miles and above. And how was this authorized or is it legal " got a report from the dealer recently which clearly states the problem is with the 2nd gear not shifting to the next gear. Every Honda Odyssey owner knows the transmission problem is due to faulty transmissions and inferiror clutch plates in the 2nd and 3rd gears. I anticipate NHTSA take actions on such corporations who try to evade the systems and provide a patch/work around solutions which is not a permanent fix. Service reports will be provided if required

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Feb 012016

We could have died yesterday 02-01-2016.the transmission went into a wild violent downshift as we we approaching a red light. In the vehicle were my wife whom is 38 weeks pregnant, my 5 sons ages 12 (autisim),age 5, age 4 (adha),age 3 (autisim),and age 2. I luckily avoided being T-boned due to the grace of god. We made it home eventually and it failed to go into reverse and when it did it was a very hard engage and a very awful smell was coming from the dipstick tube when I got it parked. What I can not understand is that these very rich owners making billions thrrough Honda and seem to have no care for anyone. I can not afford another family vehicle. But the sad offense is Honda cares for no one. It will take an absolute tragic death dealing with these very cheap transmissions.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Dec 012015

Odyssey 6-cyl

2003 Honda Odyssey. Consumer writes in regards to transmission had to be replaced with less than 127,000.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 202015

Vehicle went idle while in motion on a highway and have almost got rear-ended because the transmission slips. The mileage reading is 130,000 and the car was well maintained in a Honda dealership.

- Troy, MI, USA

Sep 112015

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. While driving approximately 55 mph, the transmission failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 169,000.

- Millerton, NY, USA

Jul 222015

The vehicle was moving at 70mph on cruise control when the transmission suddenly shifted down to either second or third gear causing the vehicle slow down and move at a maximum speed around 20mph. This could cause a serious accident if there was another vehicle behind us.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jul 262015

My tcs light had come on a few days prior. I was going down highway at 55mph the engine light came on and drive light began to flash. My car lost all power and acceleration with no warning causing the person behind me to almost hit me. I pulled over my RPM's were going up but car failed to accelerate unless floored and then barely. No prior warning or slipping.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 112015

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. While driving approximately 40 mph with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle started to violently shake and the traction control and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Jul 112015

The vehicle was driving fine, and then the transmission started slipping. Trying to stop at the light, the ABS seemed to engage, the car had a hard time stopping and downshifting, the check engine light came on, the D light started flashing, and the tcs light stayed on. The car almost didn't stop in time, and there was 5 passengers in the minivan. Updated 10/9/15

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Aug 062012

Was driving from desoto state park back home to tuscaloosa when the transmission began to slip between 2nd and 3rd and then again between 4th and 5th. Ended up having to drive home doing 40 mph on back roads. Rebuilt the transmission to the tune of $4000. Two years and 40,000 miles later the transmission failed again...same exact issue. This is a well known problem to every mechanic I have dealt with. This issue has existed since the car hit the market. This needs to be investigated. Now I have a gigantic paperweight sitting in my driveway. The vans value is less than it will cost to fix. Pease investigate.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

May 202015

Transmission failed at 150K miles. Honda is aware that the transmissions of the older Odyssey are not lasting long.

- Byron, GA, USA

Apr 232015

Odyssey 6-cyl

I was driving my van with my two kids in it when I noticed that the van was jerking frequently and there was no pick up. The RPM went to 4 and 5 thousand but the speed was not able to go beyond 50 and 60 mph. This incident occurred while I was on a freeway. When I took the van to our usual mechanic shop, they found that it was a transmission problem. Getting a new transmission was very expensive and I had to settle for a rebuilt transmission. After researching online, I found that this is a common issue with Honda Odyssey built during the year my van was built. I would like for NHTSA to ensure Honda pays for our repairs and ensures the company fixes all remaining vans on the road with this issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Apr 292015

Odyssey 6-cyl

My wife was driving down the road at 40mph when the transmission started making real bad grinding noise then stopped working.

- Traverse City , MI, USA

Apr 262015

Odyssey 6-cyl

I parked my car and took the key out of the ignition. Only problem was that the car was still in drive. I know this was an known issue (recall) with the car. I had it fixed at a dealer to address the recall on this specific issue. Obviously it didn't fix the problem.

- Hollis, NH, USA