2003 Honda Odyssey engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 042013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The engine motor mounts crack or fail prematurely. Defect is unrelated to driver behavior and is solely a function of design. Failed mounts can both cause accidents and create a projectile from impact. On-line research, such as the car talk community, suggest this is a widespread problem with Odyssey over 65,000 miles.

- Saint Charles, IL, USA

Jan 042013

The minivan suddenly slowed down and came to a stop on the highway. The check engine light went on. The car starts but does not pick up speed and I feel is dangerous to drive.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Sep 182012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I noticed quite a bit of oil leaking on the garage floor and took the vehicle in for service. I was told that the head gasket was leaking and there were 2 known issues that may be the cause: A head bolt issue or engine pitting. They wouldn't know until they 'opened it up'. it turned out to be the head bolt for cylinder #6, which they said seemed to be a known issue on the internet and other sites they had access to. Honda is even aware of this issue as they created a repair kit specifically for the issue. When our certified mechanic called the dealer, the dealer recommended replacing the engine, which was obviously way too expensive. They then recommended the time-sert thread repair kit. Once the mechanic got into things they also realized that 2 of the bolts were stripped, so they repaired both. I just got off the phone with Honda automobile customer service and was basically told there is nothing they can (or will) do to help offset the $2500 repair cost for this known issue. It is terrible that Honda offers no assistance despite this clearly being a defect in the strength of the bolt or the threading process. There are just too many other instances of the exact same issue and the exact same cylinder number. As an owner of three Honda vehicles, needless to say I am extremely disappointed with the lack of caring and willingness to make things right and will absolutely look at other vehicles now.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Oct 042012

Odyssey 6-cyl

After turned off ignition and stepped out of car while in store car rolled away across parking lot damaging another vehicle. This is in response to the article read on your site about the 2003 Honda Odyssey rolling away after car has been turned off and keys are removed from ignition.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Aug 302012

Odyssey 6-cyl

I can take my key out of the ignition while in drive. Because of the setup of the shifter, and the short space between gears, it's not apparent that the car's not in park, and fairly common for me to remove the key while in drive. I've not had this problem with other cars. Several times I've taken the key out and the car started rolling a little before I stepped on the brake and put the key back in and shifted to park. About 4 or 5 weeks ago I parked at a strip mall in front of a store, and when I came back out my car was backed up against the car on the other side of the aisle, having rolled back about 15 feet. Fortunately there was no damage. Another time my wife went shopping and came out and the car had been in drive the whole time (about an hour) but fortunately the parking lot was flat.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Sep 032012

Transmission oil overheating while driving in the freeway causing it to leak and burnt the transmission on all gears and a costly repair of $2400.

- Elk Grove , CA, USA

Jun 052011

Check engine is on. When cruising the car the is a slip in the transmission at lower gear. The RPM increase and vehicle stalls. Conicelli Honda service center, conshohocken, pa described the problem as internal transmission failure.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

May 112012

Odyssey 6-cyl

Difficulty shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear... I called Honda care services and I was told that my vehicle is out of warranty and they can't shoulder the cost which is unacceptible given that this van had been recalled for transimission issue and many owners had failed transmission. I like Honda vehicles and recommended to my family and friends but after this incident I will never buy another Honda product again.

- Staten Island, NY, USA