1. needs to be re-painted (18 reports)
2005 Honda Odyssey body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Odyssey:

2005 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 272012

Odyssey EX-L 3.2L

click to see larger images

paint bubbling and peeling paint bubbling and peeling paint bubbling and peeling paint bubbling and peeling paint bubbling and peeling paint bubbling and peeling

When I had originally purchased my Honda Odyssey in 2008 (1 owner previously) I had to take it back to the dealer shortly after taking it home, after noticing a couple of areas that paint was missing. Zimbrick Honda, where I had purchased it said that it was probably from normal wear and tear and they would use touch up paint to cover the spots. In 2012 after noticing a couple of areas with missing paint the dealer again (under warranty) fixed the problem (I did have to leave the vehicle and rent one during the week that they had mine).

In May of 2014 I again noticed "bubbling" paint in certain areas throughout the driver's side above the doors and in the sliding door crevice. After taking the van back to the dealer (Zimbrick Honda of Madison, Wi) they told me that the warranty was exhausted and that Honda would agree to pay 1/2 of each spot where there was missing paint (which had occurred in the spots where the bubbles were originally). I could not afford 1/2 of each spot as there were many and more happening all over the van.

I eventually took it to a car show where a person that paints old cars looked at it and said that he would not touch it with a 10 ft pole as it was a bad primer issue and would keep happening unless the paint and primer was completely stripped down to bare metal and that would have to be everywhere on the vehicle. I let the issue go until my husband was trying to strip the spots down to repaint and got frustrated saying that, "even the spots that were barely touched with the power washer, paint was flaking off in huge portions" he continued to say that he would have to do the entire thing.

He then got into the van and drove it to Zimbrick Honda where laying right on the counter was a Honda Service Bulletin with information about the warranty extension: Paint Peeling on Dark Blue 2003-07 Odysseys. After reading this information which I had not seen before and did not realize the issue was more than just my vehicle I decided to again speak to Zimbrick, who at that time agreed to correct the areas that they had done previously.

Warranty Extension Details: On certain 2003-2007 Odysseys with dark blue (midnight blue pearl) paint could peel off from one or more horizontal (flat) surfaces and in recessed areas around the glass or the sliding doors. Because of this problem, the following areas of exterior paint on your vehicle are now covered for 7 years from it's original purchase or lease date, with no mileage limit: Roof- Hood- Top half of the right and left quarter panels-Top half of the front fenders

I had originally Jan 2012 had the roof done. Zimbrick looked at it July 2015 and acknowledged that they had not "feathered" the paint out far enough or gone down as deep as they should have through the primer to the metal. They have agreed to redo the original spot that was done by them before; however, will not take any responsibility, nor would Honda Corporate according to Chuck Howarth (head supervisor, Zimbrick). I feel that, as I had my van in to the dealer prior to the 7 year extended warranty extension limit (and even people that DID NOT) should have the primer issue taken care of!

I have taken phenomenal care of Ol' Blue, he is immaculate inside. Regular oil changes and all maintenance except tires have been performed loyally through Zimbrick Honda. I purchased the odyssey as a Honda Certified vehicle which should mean something to both Zimbrick and Honda Corporate. I AM WILLING TO DO WHATEVER NECESSARY FOR Honda OR THE MAKER OF THE PRIMER USED TO RIGHT THEIR WRONG.

- , Monona, WI, USA

Apr 012015

Odyssey EX-L 3.5L V6

Large (7cm+) chunks of paint started to peel off to the bare metal. Especially after a machine car wash. Areas affected: hood, front fenders, top of sliding doors, roof.

- , Aurora, ON, Canada

Apr 012015

Odyssey EX V6

I first noticed a large chunk of paint missing from top of van (about 10x10 inches) a few months ago, then within a week I noticed a smaller patch above passenger door, now new tiny areas where paint is flaking off are spotted every few weeks. I had local Honda dealer take pictures and send them to Honda American Motors. It took 2 months before I heard back and was told they weren't willing to do anything because the van is 10 yrs.old. The paint warranty had been extended to 7yrs, so they knew there was a quality problem!!! I also have a 1997 Accord and 2001 Civic. The Accord is dark green and showed paint wear that you would expect on an older car and we did pay to have it repainted. The Civic is silver and we have no issues with it, however it may have been kept in a garage by the previous owners.

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Jan 012013

Odyssey Touring

I purchased this vehicle from Honda of Lisle in Lisle Illinois. I have had it for several years. I am sure that they were aware of this issue with blue 2005 HONDA ODYSSEYs. I am sure that they knew I had a blue Honda Odyssey. Yet they said nothing about bringing in the vehicle while it was still under warranty to have the problem fixed. They remained mum about it hoping that I would not find out that it could have been fixed.

A friend of mine told me that there was an issue with Honda paint and that I should see if it was still under warranty. The "extended" warranty ended in 2012. So my car was no longer covered.

I purchased the vehicle before the extended warranty was up. Honda of Lisle should have been aware of the issue. Honda of Lisle should know that my car potentially had an issue with the paint, yet Honda of Lisle did nothing, absolutely nothing to see if they could fix my car before the warranty expired.

So much for customer service.

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Apr 152015

Odyssey LX V6

This issue began in 2008, Honda fixed the segment. Started in different area, they fixed that. It then started again and now it is happening in different areas. Last time I had service, mentioned paint, service guy saw issue and did not have response. I have taken good care of this vehicle, oil, regular service, etc. I planned o keep it for a long time, but it looks like crap.

- , Tualatin, OR, USA

Dec 012009

For years my the paint on my blue Honda Odyssey has been peeling. It is getting progressively worse and it ugly. I bought a Honda because I heard about the vehicles high level of craftsmanship but it seems that is not the case. I have had many other issues over the years with this van.

- , Mount Sinai, NY, USA

Aug 272015

Odyssey EX 3.5L V6

I took this vehicle in to my local Princeton Honda dealer who said the manufacturer would no longer address claims regarding peeling paint. However, my vehicle was recently totalled by a negligent driver and now the insurance company, New Jersey Manufacturers, is now trying to deduct $1,000 from the payoff because of this issue. If my local dealer and vehicle manufacturer would have addressed this issue, I would not be about to loose $1,000 dollars.

- , Princeton Junction, NJ, USA

Mar 062015

Odyssey EX L

My car had the paint pealing off all the way down to the metal. On the hood roof and side. It's very bad and I'm pissed

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 012013

Odyssey LX V6

I cannot believe how deliberate Honda is to have taken a know defect, cover only what problem could be seen and wait for the car to be out of its extended warranty so the owner is stuck with an ongoing defective paint issue. The know defective paint should have been painted over completely to replace the defected item and to prevent the owner from have to deal with their sh*tty product. I have called Honda and they will not even recognize that I brought this problem to there attention when it was still under warranty. I have done everything recommended by Honda in the upkeep of this vehicle and now I have vehicle that will be in bad shape not because of me but, because of the manufacturer. I loved this vehicle but, I am done with Honda in the future.

- , Lyman, ME, USA

Feb 142015

Odyssey EX-L V6

Paint is awful on this van, and any attempt to do partial re-paint causes the paint around that area to peel even more quickly and severely. Now peeling down to primer in several areas.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Odyssey EXL

My van is midnight blue color. Paint is bubbling up and flaking off of the roof. It started as a tiny chip and now is a section of exposed primer about 6" x 18"!

- , South Bend, IN, USA

Oct 182012

Odyssey EX-L

click to see larger images

I purchased this minivan less than one year after the 7 year extension warranty for paint ran out. The previous owner most likely received the extension warning but since the paint was fine when I purchased it, he wouldn't have noticed a problem. I first called Honda of America on October 18, 2012 - still less than one year beyond the extension - to inquire about help. They were unable to do anything even though Honda recognized that there was a fundamental problem with this vehicle's paint job.

In a perfect world, Honda would help me since the underlying problem causing an extension to the warranty didn't manifest itself on this particular automobile until soon after the extended warranty was over.

- , Delmar, NY, USA

Oct 012012

Odyssey Touring

Peeling paint on roof and hood in very large areas.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Odyssey LX 3.5L V6

There was an extended warranty issued for make/model/paint color of our Honda Odyssey for paint peeling, but at the time of the warranty it wasn't happening. Now it is, and I'm talking the entire roof of our van and patches as big as your hand are peeling on the body. Our van has been garage kept, waxed and taken care of.

I called our Honda dealership where van was purchased to report the problem is getting severe and they said there isn't a Honda rep in our area to take a look at it. The service manager said that one was being trained to cover dealerships in our area, but isn't on the job yet. Nice. He took my # and said they would call in a month or so when one becomes available, but even then, he isn't sure that they can do anything for us. A 2005 van should not look like this.

- , Williamsport, PA, USA

Oct 022013

Odyssey EX V6

We own an 01 Civic and then purchased an 05 Odyssey because we really liked HONDA cars and believed they had good products and that they would treat customers right. Thought we'd be customers for life. Honda lost our loyalty when the paint began peeling on the roof and we learned of the recall and that the primer was the issue and the cost to fix it would be quite high. We had other expected maintenance that we were okay with - but we were not willing to pay thousands to paint the car.

We contacted Honda and they were unwilling to work with us. It is quite disappointing that they have so little concern for keeping their customers. We are another family who has moved on from Honda (almost). The Civic has a few more years and then we'll leave Honda for good. I realize we have potential issues with any brand of car we purchase - but hopefully the company will choose to work with the customers to resolve the issues. Hopefully the company will care more about holding loyal customers.

- , St. Paul, MN, USA

Odyssey EX

Paint peeling and Honda won't cover it.

The van has been garaged with average use, nothing that would expedite paint failure.

- , Cary, NC, USA

Nov 032013

Odyssey LX

Paint is peeling on the roof of my van. Unfortunately I didn't notice when it started because of the location of the peeling paint. When we went on vacation in January we noticed it because our hotel room window overlooked the van. When we got back into town in Feb. we took it to the Honda dealer we purchased it from in 2005. We were told there is nothing they can do and there is not a recall on this van.

When looked on line I did see several issues with the Midnight blue paint. Today I noticed the Hood is starting to peel and bubble. I will be calling the Honda complaint line in the morning.

Update from Jul 19, 2014: Talked to Honda on Friday july 18 , They wont honor the warranty on my van . The warranty ran out 2 years ago . They said its up to me to fix . I do plan on calling them again

- , Portage, MI, USA

Mar 012013

Odyssey Touring

I understand that this is a common problem for this paint color and that there was an extended warranty offered for it. Alas, no notice is given of problems that do not affect safe operation. The problem started small and has gotten much worse. We now look like we are driving a junker and I am embarrassed by it. By the time we reported it to our dealer, we were told that there is no recourse. Body work is very expensive and this is not a cost I relish taking on.

I'm frankly mystified that Honda just does not agree to fix it when they would surely secure a customer for life if they honored their commitment to deliver an above-average vehicle. As it is, I'm thinking Toyota Sienna just because I'm irritated.

- , Glenview, IL, USA

Mar 192014

Odyssey EX 3.5L

paint bubbling and peeling

As you can see from the photo the paint is peeling on the roof of my mini van. It started when I was simply using the hose to wet the van. If I squirt it anymore it will peel even more. You can see in the photo that it is peeling and is spreading. This is not the result of using the wrong detergent or parking in the sun or not waxing properly. These are some excuse tactics dealers may use to explain the problem rather than to admit the real cause. This is premature failure of the paint due to a poor factory paint job. I will be hopeful that Honda will take care of this in a fair and honest way.

- , Edgewood, MD, USA

Feb 072012

Odyssey EX

The paint on my Honda has been peeling for the past few years. It started as just a small one now its grown to six or seven patches. Our Honda has been in the service station several times and we even pointed it out to the service guy but he never told us there was a extended warranty on this problem and now I'm seeing that my time is up...

- , Richardson, TX, USA